Ursaring is Beast

This is my first nu team, and it's been doing surprisingly well, I have gotten to above 1750 on PS, but I feel it needs some modifications to be more competitive, and I was hoping here at Smogon I could find help :) This team was made before Scolipede, Primeape and Jynx went down to NU so I didn't really make this team with them in mind.

The team:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 176 HP / 168 Atk / 164 Spe
Trait: No Guard

- Stealth Rock
- Dynamicpunch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake

Golurk is great because it almost always is able to set up rocks on my opponent's side of the field. It's Ghost type also allows it to spinblock and stops fighting moves being spammed on my team. Dynamicpunch is also useful as its 100% confusion is annoying and hits hard to boot. Shadow Punch is for opposing ghost types and is STAB, and Earthquake is STAB and Golurk's strongest move.

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Trait: Aftermath

- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Skuntank is on the team to deal with Psychic and Ghost types, resisting their moves and trapping them with Pursuit or KOing with Sucker Punch. Pursuit is great to stop pokemon from switching out safely from Skuntank, Sucker Punch is very powerful priority and is good for mind games along with Pursuit. Taunt stops walls like Alomomola and Audino from using annoying support moves like Wish, Toxic or Thunder Wave, and also stops setup sweepers in their tracks. Poison Jab is good to hit grass types like Ludicolo and Meganium and is good neutral stab in general. It also has a great chance to poison which has come into play several times.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SpA / 104 SpD
Trait: Rain Dish

- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Ice Beam

Ludicolo is my main switch into water moves, and guards me against Swift Swim sweepers like Gorebyss and opposing Ludicolo. Scald is also useful for it's burn chance and hits relatively hard. Giga Drain is to recover health and hit hings like Golurk and Alomomola hard. Ice Beam has good coverage with the aforementioned moves and hits grass and flying types hard. Synthesis is not used as much because Giga Drain is usually all the recovery I need but helps at times.

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Trait: Levitate

- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Grass
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash

Rotom-S is my scarfer and it fulfills its role admirably, with Volt Switch giving me momentum and a powerful move in its own right, Thunderbolt and Air Slash to clean up late game, and Hidden Power Grass to catch things like Seismitoad and Golurk off guard. The only problem I have with Rotom is its weakness to Stealh Rocks but if I play carefully with it and not let it take any unnecessary damage it really helps me out. It also revenge kills many things, the most important being Sawk which really is a threat to this team.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Trait: Quick Feet

- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Ursaring is a very underrated pokemon in the tier. I have swept countless times with this beast, as nothing can withstand its attacks with its monstrous base attack coupled with STAB base 140 Facade AND Swords Dance. This thing can beat even Alomomola 1 on 1, as Alomomola can't really do anything to it and Ursaring OHkos easily with 2 SDs and even with 1 if Alomomola has prior damage. The downfall of course to Ursaring is that it is very weak to priority and is worn down easily but if used correctly it can very easily sweep. Facade is its most powerful move, Swords Dance is to boost its attack even higher, Crunch is for Ghost types and Close Combat is for the Rock and Steel types that would wall Ursaring otherwise.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Trait: Guts

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Gurdurr is my other priority user and setup sweeper. After a couple Bulk Ups it becaumes nigh unstoppable, tearing through opponents teams with Mach Punch becoming powerful priority, Drain Punch to stay healthy, and Ice Punch to hit Dragons, Ghosts and pokemon that resist Fighting such as Muk and Rotom-S. It is also my emergency check to Sawk as it has fantastic physical bulk and can take 2 hits from it if Sawk is Choice Scarfed.

Well, that is the team, Choice Band Sawk and strong special attackers are this teams main weakness and I was hoping that here at Smogon I could recieve some help! Rates are greatly appreciated!

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As you've essentially stated yourself, you are not properly equipped to the proper state of the metagame. While this in itself isn't the most detrimental way to go about editing your team, it does tend make you vulnerable to the many common metagame threats that define the current state of the metagame.

Luckily though, you don't particularly suffer from said shortcoming as much as it may seem, however I see an extreme weakness against various threats such as Jynx and Articuno, both of which outspeed the majority of your team and thus deal a massive whole to your team with their STAB attacks and Lovely Kiss (for Jynx's case). To help fix this, I would suggest that you replace Rotom-S with Choice Scarf Rotom-F, as it gives you a more reliable answer to the two and functions like a revenge killer that can immediately threaten them with and provide momentum with Volt Switch as well.

Another suggestion that I'd like for you to consider is to suggest is to replace Gurdurr with Shell Smash Carracosta, as I also see a glaring weakness to a few common threats such as Charizard and Choice Band Braviary, who can not only threaten to OHKO your Stealth Rock user as they decide to actually lead, but can also threaten to terrorize a significant portion of the team as they are faster than almost everything on the team and you have no reliable resist to their main STAB moves. With Carracosta, you gain a nice offensive check to these threats with useful priority with the ability to function as a fearsome sweeper that makes them think twice about using their respective STAB moves.

Now, if you decide to accept these changes, do note that it may also make you somewhat vulnerable to the offensive combination of Primeape+Skuntank, as seeing as you're going to be frequently switching in to reliably check Choice Scarf Primeape, players often is going to be utilizing U-turn to counter-act with this strategy. To help negate this strategy, a reasonable suggestion would be to run Colbur Berry as the item of choice for Golurk to lure Skuntank as it attempts to trap you, potentially otherwise leaving you somewhat vulnerable of your offensive threats consistently being revenge killed as the battle goes on from there.

One last major point that I'd like to contend to is the Ludicolo set that you are currently running, as based on the fact of the new metagame drops (Jynx, Scolipede) running about in generally every competent offensive team, it's not going to be accomplishing as much as it may otherwise seem for you. I believe that the standard Rain Dance set may work out better as for the most part it still gives you one of the best offensive answer to water types and gives you a better matchup against most frail offensive teams with the ability to strike hard and potentially sweep.

Other than that, not much else to contend to by, though I suppose that you can try Lum Berry Skuntank if you would like a reliable way of trapping Misdreavus and allows you to have a good shot of trapping Jynx if you're still a bit shaky about your weakness to said threat.

Nice team by the previous metagame standards, and hope these changes work out.

Rotom-F @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
Timid nature | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Volt Switch / Blizzard / Thunderbolt / Trick

Carracosta @ Life Orb | Solid Rock
Adamant nature | 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Waterfall / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Shell Smash

Ludicolo @ Life Orb | Swift Swim
Timid nature | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rain Dance / Hydro Pump / Giga Drain / Ice Beam

The rate Agent Dell made is really informative, though I have one last suggestion to make to make this team have less weak to certain Pokemon.

If you choose to agree with Dell's rate, your team will become a lot weaker to Grass Types, especially fast sleep-inducing ones like Jumpluff and Serperior once Skuntank and Rotom are gone. I suggest you to try out Kangaskhan > Ursaring as it utilizes its bulk as well as give your team additional priority in Fake Out, but unlike Ursaring, Kangaskhan cannot beat Alomomla 1v1 so I suggest you to use the standard set but with Toxic > Sucker Punch to cripple Alomomola switchins.

Good Luck on your team. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)