USUM Creative and Underrated Sets

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Ark | Taken over from Cynde and Sacri' | Credits to Jackii for this banner
What constitutes an underrated and/or creative moveset?
  • Creative Movesets would be those that are:
  1. Not commonly seen on the ladder whatsoever.
  2. It successfully pulls off a role and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  3. It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  4. It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
  5. It has had some success (sufficient testing/replays).
  • Underrated Movesets would be those that are:
  1. Somewhat common but still under-utilized despite being effective choices in the current metagame.
  2. Underrated sets are meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
What are some things that constitute a gimmick?
  1. Movesets that are highly inconsistent.
  2. Unviable Pokémon.
  3. Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
A gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it".

Rules:
  1. NO GIMMICKS. They don't add any positives to the discussion and only derail the thread. These posts may be subject to being deleted.
  2. Explain a little as to what your set does and how it accomplishes its goal.
  3. If you could specify whether your set is creative or underrated that would swell.
  4. If I like your post it means I'm adding your set. If I don't then that's too bad.
  5. Replays are encouraged for creative sets. Use common sense when it comes to posting these...That means no replays from 1000 rankings.
  6. If you want to dump a bunch of creative movesets, the above rules still apply.
happy posting <3!

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
6B88001D-9D7C-4B8C-A800-44794ED2F351.jpeg

I’ve been messing around with Pyuk as an alternative to Quag on stall and while Quag is still mostly better, new toys like Spite and Block definitely give this a niche. Block lets you stop opposing teams from switching around to wear Pyuk out of PP, lets you countertrap things that annoy stall like Whirlpool Azu, and punishes hazard setters/removers that decide to take advantage of Pyuk’s passive nature by staying in. Here’s an example of the set in action: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-681642257

93A17F64-3DDF-4233-A0A1-2CF7389D2BCE.jpeg

Something I was trying out on a hazard stack I’ve been playing with. Mummy is a cool ability that lets you really mess with stuff like Scizor and Hera. Z-Haze is an option over Pain Split, but I find the passive recovery of Lefties really useful. Basically a big fat Scizor counter that can set tspikes and serve to check a bunch of other physical sweepers as well.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scept SD.PNG

Swords Dance Sceptile manhandles a ton of the usual checks to a standard AoA Sceptile. I've been testing it in a Grass spam core with Normalium Z Serperior and they work incredibly well together. Sceptile boosts on a large number of water types such as Rotom, Seismitoad, non Ice Beam Suicune, and Alomomola, and other abusable pokemon such as choice locked Magneton and Hippowdon. Iron Tail is used over Dragon STAB because the coverage of Dragon Claw or Outrage is redundant, you still lose to scarfed Dragon types like Latias and Hydreigon, and +2 Iron Tail is enough to muscle through the non-scarfed variants with some chip. Iron tail has lackluster accuracy, which can lead to some consistency problems, but SD Scept successfully lures in answers such as but not limited to, Alolan Muk, Togekiss, Sylveon, Mega Alt and Non Magnet-Rise Klefki.

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Togekiss: 314-370 (83.9 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Klefki: 418-494 (131.4 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 364-430 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 492-580 (118.8 - 140%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Sceptile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 358-422 (101.1 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shoutout to Amane Misa for helping me build the Grass spam team, and also making this thread! Good looks~

Darksafadao

best of the second options
Hi, I would like to share a set of mine.

Venomoth @ Buginium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 80 HP / 224 SpA / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz

This set is an attempt of mine to make a new Venomoth set, trying to give it a better match-up versus bulkier teams while also still being able to be a cleaner. Taking advantage of the fact it can't be poisoned and having reliable recovery on roost, it can find opportunities to set up on some passive mons, such as Blissey and Sylveon, or choice locked mons. The spread allows it to have 301 HP, setting up on Blissey more easily, while also having enough speed to outspeed Mega-Aerodactyl at +1. From my tests some Stall and Bulky-ish squads have some trouble with it. While having these aspects, it needs support to break mons such as Klefki, Cobalion and Alolan Muk. Thanks for reading.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

The last moveslot on Scarf Infernape is rather flexible and easily customizable to the needs of one's team. Lately, I've grown fond of Will-O-Wisp in the last slot which specifically aims to cripple Gliscor or Azumarill early on in the game. It works quite consistantly as an opener and puts you in a great position right from the start. Here is a replay showcasing its worth.

Amoonguss @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore

I don't claim that Poisonium-Z Amoonguss was my idea but I still think it deserves a mention in here. It's a neat way to incorporate a safe Azumarill switch-in on your balanced or bulky offensive team, while not being a complete momentum drain. Acid Downpour OHKOs a variety of threats including the aforementioned Azumarill, as well as Serperior and Mega Altaria. Synthesis, however, is personal choice of mine over Giga Drain: Since it does pathetic damage to everything that it's not super effective against and doesn't even help it beat boosting Water types, I opted for Synthesis instead, which allows this set to compensate for the loss of Black Sludge recovery and increases longevity even more in conjunction with the already amazing Regenerator ability. Additionally, Acid Downpour actually outdamages Giga Drain versus the likes of Mega Sharpedo and Crawdaunt. This is not to say Giga Drain is the inferior choice here, I just came to the conclusion that Synthesis had more helpful applications in the games I played with this set.

0 SpA Amoonguss Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 342-404 (112.1 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Amoonguss Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 396-468 (108.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Amoonguss Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 318-374 (109.2 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Amoonguss Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 318-374 (89.8 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Amoonguss: 319-376 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Amoonguss: 120-142 (27.7 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Have fun with those, see ya around :blobthumbsup:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's one crazy set that I have unraveled -- the only viable mon worth pulling off one crazy move:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Power Swap
- Roost

The main purpose of using this Altaria set is to steal all the boosts Serperior have accumulated by virtue of Contrary Leaf Storms (though stealing Azumarill's Belly Drum boosts is a huge plus, too), when they think the Draco Meteor drops from Mega Altaria would give them time to set up. Incidentally, I can manage to steal boosts from the likes of Calm Mind Suicune and Growth Venusaur as well, allowing Mega Altaria to break teams apart while boosted. This set is best used for semi-stall teams who wants some firepower from opponents' boosted attacks, or who wants to give all the Draco Meteor drops to the Special attacker. Enjoy!

To commemorate getting tier shifts(nah I'm not kidding, they actually happened), I got a couple of fresh sets that I thought would be worth sharing.

@ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Sub-Punch Alo-Wak can comfortably sub up on a lot of relevant mons in this tier, including some of Scizor's top checks in Coballion and Mega-Manectric. Ghost/Fighting coverage in general is really nice in this tier, and pain split provides a nice final slot and form of sustainability. I'd recommend pairing this set with a mon that can take advantage of it's ability to sub up on a slew of viable mons in this tier, like pairing it with Serperior because it subs up on Chansey and Amoonguss. All-in-all, I expect this set to perform well in the absence of Rotom-W, which was considered to be a big defensive check in my drafting of this item pre-shifts.

@ Normalium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Refresh

This is one of those things where if your team lacks a Z-Move user, you could gladly fill that slot in by giving it to Swampert/Seismitoad (preferably 'pert since Rotom-W rose back to OU, but Seis still has viability as a water immunity in this tier). Using either of these mons without leftovers is a big hit and somewhat counter-intuitive considering that status will widdle the poke down either way, but being able to revive a mon that couldn't do so otherwise while not wasting a moveslot is pretty huge in my opinion.

I hope the community will test these sets alongside me in the near future, happy tier shifts!
**replays otw**

Last edited:

Euphonos

Now that Alolan Ninetales has been banned by the UU council, allow me to unravel a set that compresses that good old Aurorus + Alolan Sandslash strategy, with a hint of momentum.

Articuno @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil

- Freeze-Dry
- U-turn

While Articuno needs two turns to set up Hail and Aurora Veil, what sets Articuno apart is its role to set up Aurora Veil without having to rely too much on Aurorus for the automatic Hail. Also, what sets this Articuno apart from the rest of the Aurora Veil setters is the immense bulk this Pokemon brings, along with its ability in Snow Cloak to help bank on dodging even the most accurate of attacks to set up Aurora Veil easily -- something that Froslass, another potential Snow Cloak + Aurora Veil user, doesn't possess, not to mention with U-turn as one of the moves in its arsenal that would bring the momentum going and set up Aurora Veil before Hail would stop.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht

Hydreigon @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Belch
- U-turn/Defog/Roost

This is a super cool lure for fairies, Mega Altaria and Azumarill in particular, all the while bluffing Hydreigon's most popular set - Choice Scarf. It's a one time nuke so careful execution is recommended but generally the opponent will not expect it. Dark Pulse is not really needed on this set, smacking incoming Scizor with a Fire Blast after a Draco Meteor is too good to pass on from my experience, although it may have some more applications now, with the arrival of Alolan Marowak in UU. The last moveslot is pretty flexible, U-turn is my personal favourite since it perfects the Choice Scarf bluff, but if your team is in need of hazard control or prefers longevity, Defog and Roost are solid options as well. Keep in mind that revealing these two options too early might dissuade the opponent from staying in though. Two partners for this set that I can recommend are Mega Sharpedo and Infernape.​

252 SpA Hydreigon Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 486-572 (120.2 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 386-456 (109 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 320-378 (81.2 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Standard Sylveon drops to the combination of Fire Blast + Acid Downpour, with one round of Leftovers recovery considered.)

252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 105-125 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 240-284 (69.9 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(You have about a 70% chance to blow away standard defensive Scizor with Fire Blast after Draco Meteor damage, miss chance included.
After SR and Leftovers recovery, the chance boosts to the maximum chance of 85%.)

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

This set aims to make Azelf a more consistent suicide lead by allowing hit to surprise faster leads, mainly Aerodactyl, and opposing Azelf that may force a Speed-tie.

Basically, Magic Coat allows Azelf to bounce back a potential Taunt by the aforementioned competitors to block them from setting up hazards, and after that set-up its own Stealth Rock and use Explosion.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7uunoteampreview-54347
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-688873221

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
FFCA1E47-448A-4CD7-A8CD-3ADDE65A1316.jpeg

Lycanrock-Dusk @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Drill Run
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

This Lycanrock-Dusk set is essentially a suicide lead however it’s Focus Sash can be used as a late game save if a set up sweeper like Stakataka is under trick room. Accelerock give it its nice STAB Tough Claws boosted priority while Drill Run allows Lycanrock to hit Steel, Rock, and bulky Ground types.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Stomping Tantrum is also Tough Claws boosted and hits slightly harder than Drill run I believe

For those who remember me, i'm back in bUUsiness.

Kyurem @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Endeavor

SubEndeavor + ZBlast allows to break some of the common MegaPidges counter/checks and to help against stall teams. Good partner for this are Pursuit users and mons that are in struggle vs special sponges.

Last edited:
I have a set that can be useful for stall builds its called Calm Mind Blissey
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
This blissey set capitalizes on what blissey is best at walling special attackers. This allows blissey to fight back and makes it even tankier. You may say that vincune outclasses this set but vincune has a hard time keeping its sub and blissey doesnt need one. This blissey set can setup on anything that cant touch bliss which is quite alot. This blissey set works on stall semistall and possibly BO playstyles. This works great with wish support even though blissey usually is the wish support.
I dont have any replays RIP

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a set that can be useful for stall builds its called Calm Mind Blissey
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
This blissey set capitalizes on what blissey is best at walling special attackers. This allows blissey to fight back and makes it even tankier. You may say that vincune outclasses this set but vincune has a hard time keeping its sub and blissey doesnt need one. This blissey set can setup on anything that cant touch bliss which is quite alot. This blissey set works on stall semistall and possibly BO playstyles. This works great with wish support even though blissey usually is the wish support.
I dont have any replays RIP
This set goes against literally everything that Blissey provides for stall teams, utility in Heal Bell/Rocks along with status spreading in Toxic in exchange for a shitty CM set that gets overwhelmed by a lot of the tier's most common physical attackers like Scizor and Cobalion if they don't play like doghorse. Also, the lack of reliable recovery is fucking awful because you can't actually reliably check what you're supposed to. Sorry if this seemed a bit abrasive, but this set is incredibly flawed.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse
- Roost / U-turn

This Hydreigon set massacres stall and Trick Room offense, two playstyles which are quite prominent in the UU meta right now. Superpower allows it to go head-to-head with Blissey and Stakataka, two Pokemon which typically do not fear Hydreigon.

4 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 281-333 (86.1 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 426-502 (59.6 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The other choices are pretty self-explanatory.

sparrow

kacaw
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Power-Up Punch
This set essentially allows Azumarill to utilise its fantastic defensive typing as a bulky pivot whilst matching the power of its Choice Band set after a single Power-up Punch. Being unafraid of switching into Special Attacking moves such as Psychic from Latias, Hyper Voice from m-Altaria, Shadow Ball from Chandelure, etc. Gives Azumarill much better longevity thereby allowing it to pressure your opponent through out the match. Sadly, Azumarill's traditional defensive switch-ins such as Tentacruel & Amoonguss find it much easier coming into this set. Therefore, this set plays a lot differently in comparison to Choice Band and Perish Trap Azu. Compared to its Choice Band and Belly Drum sets, Assault Vest enables its trainer to play Azumarill much more aggressively versus strong Special Attackers in UU, such as: Serperior, Starmie, Chandelure, Latias, m-Manectric, m-Pidgeot, etc. I would classify this set more of a hybrid between its two other popular sets: added defensive utility through Assault Vest, not being locked into a single move, and boasting the power of its Choice Band set. Although its unable to threaten stall well, it can be utilised to threaten offence/bulky offence builds whilst hurting balance once its switch-ins have been dealt with.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Scizor @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This Scizor set is very underated among competitive UU ladderers. Fightium-Z allows Scizor to beat Swampert, Hippodown, and Mega-Aggron while providing Scizor with a strong nuke against most walls. Bullet Punch is standard on all Scizor's because of course it provied STAB Technician priority, and Knock Off is for Pokemon like Doublade and Amoongus who can stomache both a Super Power and Bullet Punch. This set is fantastic at late game sweeping and is able to set up on many walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor and proceed to sweep.

+2 252+ Atk Scizor All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 350-412 (87.2 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Scizor All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 334-393 (79.5 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Scizor All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Filter Aggron-Mega: 324-382 (94.4 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-702616656

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Here are some underrated Pokemon that I have adapted from other users:

1519187974966.png

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish

This set I adapted from YABO after seeing him use an extremely similar Rock Polish set in this RMT. Basically you trade a lot of your (specially) defensive utility, being only a check to Latias for example instead of a counter, in exchange for a much greater ability to sweep. Earthquake and Jolly are probably best for the metagame right now unlike YABO's Fire Punch and Adamant set because Earthquake gets important coverage on targets like Manectric Mega and Jolly lets you beat things like Sceptile Mega and Manectric Mega. This is important because these are big threats to HO, which Rock Polish Aggron Mega fits on.

1519187997424.png

Nihilego @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Pain Split

This set I adapted from vivalospride after seeing him use Pain Split Nihilego. The point of this set is basically to give Nihilego even more longevity while still giving it utility - Leftovers and Pain Split plus a Toxic immunity let it stick around. This is important for defensive teams because you can counter 4 important stall breakers - Work Up Pidgeot, Togekiss, Chandelure, and Gengar. The benefit of using this over a more traditional Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl is the extra special bulk and ability to absorb Toxic Spikes on impact (and set them up too if you do not need SR). The lack of physical bulk hurts unfortunately and makes you fairly easily Pursuit trapped, which is a big problem for a defensive Pokemon.

1519188026420.png

Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog
- Freeze-Dry

This set I basically copy and pasted from Lapras! in his sample team here. Basically all I do is transfer a lot of the defense EVs to Speed in order to have a better match up against two important stall breakers - Togekiss and Specially Defensive Gliscor which could actually potentially Toxic stall slow Articuno. Lapras! explains it well but basically the set really abuses the utility moves well, with Defog working well with Pressure (although another form of hazard control is usually necessary with Articuno because of how weak it is to Stealth Rocks) and Haze being awesome to stop attackers that could potentially break stall, especially ones that cannot be chipped easily like Rest Suicune and Magic Bounce Espeon. Unfortunately, you need significant Special Attack investment or a boosting item to reliably counter Perish Trap Azumarill.

Last edited:

Kyurza (Kyurem) @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Outrage
- Hone Claws
- Focus Blast

This is the Kyurem set I've been using lately and it absolutely rips stall and bulky offense apart. It can OHKO or 2HKO every single staple of stall. Hone Claws is super neat tech that boosts Kyurem's amazing base 130 attack while also boosting accuracy, meaning it can afford to run Blizzard (and Focus Blast isn't Focus Miss so much!), gaining some of the power back that it would lose instead of running specs Ice Beam. With 32 Attack EVs, Kyurem will OHKO Blissey with Z-Outrage. Despite all of this sets power, it still hits 317 speed, outspeeding most of the bulky Pokemon in the tier, while also putting in work against slower members of offense and beating a lot of balance back as well. This set is honestly amazing and you guys should try it out. Side note, if you do use this well, make sure to let me know because I'd like to see how other people use it as well!

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Agility

So, this set was based off the Double Dance set that I first saw in the creative team thread (TSR Man & Cake Boy's Thread). So, I remember not liking the original Double Dance set, and ended up making a bulky version. Then, I decided why not make a poison heal version? So I did. Had quite a bit of fun using it on different teams. As for the EV spread: 148 speed allows you to out speed speedy azu & scizor, jolly breloom, and adamant mamoswine. After setting up Agility, it out speeds scarf Latias. Now, what's pretty cool about this set-up set is how it can be used throughout the game and not care about hazards. It's able to set up on many mons and seeing poison heal usually makes people think it's a bulky set that is non-offensive. This set has a good match-up against stall and bulky offense, and on the right team it can annoy Hyper Offense. This set is pretty splashable, pairing up well with Mega Pidgeot, Mega Aggron, Z Raikou, Z Salazzle, and Volt-Turn Mons.
Down below are calcs and a replay showcasing the set.

+2 76 Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 172-203 (54 - 63.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 135-159 (42.4 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 294-347 (97.3 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 294-347 (90.4 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 162-192 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl-Mega: 154-181 (51.1 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO/hide]

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-709723255 - I chose this replay as it shows just how annoying Gliscor can be with this set. Coming in on rocks repeatedly, annoying other mons, and sweeping late game.

Euphonos

Allow me to unravel a Pokemon that has ultimately lost its luster due to the influx of Dark types being one of the unstoppable forces in Generation 7; nevertheless, this Pokemon still needs more love -- it's no other than the good old Sableye, with a modern twist.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Metal Burst

The biggest reason why Sableye has lost its luster in the current generation is because of Dark-types being unfazed to Prankster-boosted moves. However, there is one move that is worth recognizing that could be of great value against Pokemon that are somehow hard to kill, and it is no other than Metal Burst -- it is the only Pokemon capable of running that move and Prankster-boosted Recover in the same set. For Metal Burst to work efficiently, it has to be of negative Speed nature (hence Sassy nature) and has to take away all of its Speed IVs. This is a rather traditional disrupting Sableye set that can disarm any Physical attacker, and destroys any Special Attacker gutsy enough to fire one of their strongest attacks, only to end up receiving more damage and eventually get demolished.

Tread carefully, however, as there are specific Special attacking Pokemon that are capable of defeating this current Sableye set even while at full health, such as Draco Meteor Hydreigon with Choice Specs; therefore it needs some form of back-up. Surprisingly, the Froslass + Sableye SpikeStack core that was used last Generation 6 still works wonders today, and with Sableye using Metal Burst to surprisingly defeat a Pokemon, it could definitely change the landscape of the game.

Despite my loss in this battle, this replay features Sableye's tanking capabilities and managed to take out two Pokemon. Hope you find Sableye a hidden gem worth using in the current USUM UU metagame!

sparrow

kacaw

Scizor @ Metronome
Ability: Technician
EVs: ?? HP / 252 Atk / ?? Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn / Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Superpower

Here's something that I've grown fond of lately, Metronome Scizor. Not really much to say here other than it can really put the hurt on your opponent late game, and is a decent replacement to Iron Plate imo. I've got a couple of replays showcasing its power, one replay is really neat whilst the other, my opponent decided to not abuse Rocky Helmet resulting in their loss. Enjoy n_n

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-710817468
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-710819686

(6 consecutive attacks)
252+ Atk Metronome Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 309-368 (78.4 - 93.4%) -- not a KO
- highly improbable

Last edited:

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.

Azumarill @ Binding Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Perish Song
- Rest

For the uninitiated, binding band increases the damage from trapping moves from 1/8 per turn to 1/6. While this is an added bonus, the primary benefit of this set comes from bluffing CB/BD. On a large amount of builds, counterplay for both cb/bd and trapping azu sets rarely overlaps, meaning that this bluff oftentimes leads to a successful trap and kill. One of the main drawbacks of using trapping azu comes from the fact that it can be relatively easy to play around once the set's been scouted. Scouting isn't difficult either, as it only takes rocks/spikes to see lefties from standard trapping azu. This set circumvents this, with binding band having the dual utility of not revealing azu as being a trapping variant, while also increasing damage from whirlpool. The increased damage can play a big role as well. Once the set's been revealed neutral rocks + two turns of whirlpool still leaves full health mons at 54% - chip that no offensive mon (trapping azu's typical switch-ins) will appreciate.

You can alternatively run play rough over protect if you don't want the set to be as passive, but the general chip and health preservation from protect has more overall utility, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)