SM RU USUM RU RMT: Mega-Blastoise BO

rmt1.png

Intro
I recently started playing RU back in ORAS, and just got back into it during SM. When Mega-Blastoise dropped down I was thrilled because finally Blastoise would be relevant again outside of It's normal form, which was sitting down at D Rank. I never really build teams but i felt like this one was good enough to be posted here and critiqued to make it even better. Without further ado, let's get into the team breakdown!

Building Process

Of course, I wanted to start off with Mega-Blastoise. I feel like this mon is great because it's able to provide sort of a glue to both Offensive, and Balanced teams. Being able to reliably remove hazards, and having no mons really switch into it due to its high Special Attack and Mega Launcher boosted attacks is big for this mon. Spinblockers in the tier like Doublade, get blown away by Dark Pulse on the switch. One of the few things that threaten it offensively are electrics like the Rotoms, and Galvantula, and grasses such as Shaymin.

Because of it's ability to reliably check common electrics in the tier that Blastoise struggles with, Nidoqueen was the premier choice of a Stealth Rocker, and Toxic Spiker for this team.

I added Snorlax because it's able to handle most of the Ice, and Fire types in the tier, Salazzle being a big one. While still providing offensive pressure.

Being one of the best spinblockers and defensive Pokemon in the tier, I added Doublade because it's an amazing defensive mon, and at the same time can pressure the opponent with its high Attack stat.

One of the most threatening mons in the RU metagame at the moment, I added Flygon because it provides a ground immunity, and appreciates the hazard support that Nidoqueen is able to provide.

Last but not least, I added Shaymin to the team because it's able to check mons like Mega-Steelix, and most bulky waters in the RU tier, while providing speed control.

Sets

Blastoise @

Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin
-----------------------------------
The main mon on this team. Can reliably remove hazards and harm anything that wants to switch into it. Dark Pulse hits mons like Bronzong, Doublade, Necrozma, and other assorted Psychics that roam around the tier, Aura Sphere can scare mons like Porygon-2, Umbreon, and Snorlax dealing decent damage to them on the switch, Aura can also take a decent chunk out of Milotic, its main wall. This mon is essentially a glue to the team, synergizing well with Nidoqueen which is able to handle its checks like Galvantula, and the Rotoms.

Snorlax @

Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 188 HP / 128 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Earthquake
Snorlax, able to provide offensive pressure, and be an amazing Special Defensive wall if need be. This mon successfuly switches into mons like Salazzle, Galvantula, and Rotom. Using them as set up fodder and resting off any status they wanna spread to it. Frustation, being its main STAB move hits extremely hard on mons that take it Neutrally. Earthquake can OHKO Salazzle without having to curse and can hit mons like Nidoqueen but has to be weary of Focus Blast because it's able to pick up a 2HKO. Utilizing Thick Fat it's also able to check alot of Ice and Fire types in the tier, including Mega-Glalie.

Doublade @

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Claw / Iron Head
Doublade is my main physically defensive mon on the team. It's able to check mons like Snorlax, Bewear, Cloyster, can 2HKO Mega-Steelix at +2, and revenge kill Linoone if healthy enough. This mon is also an amazing spinblocker and switches in on things like Tsareena. This mon appreciates Shaymin as a teammate because it's able to take on milotic, which would otherwise wall it. It's also able to hurt Florges if I decide to carry Iron Head.

Shaymin @

Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Shaymin is a solid scarfer on this team because it's able to handle mons like Milotic, revenge Feraligatr even after a DD, hurt Chesnaught, and Salazzle with Psychic, revenge Flygon, Swellow, and Zygarde 10% w HP Ice after Rocks, and support the team with Healing Wish. I chose Shaymin as my scarfer because it sits at a solid Base 100 speed, revenge killing alot of mons in the current RU Metagame. Doublade appreciates the support Shaymin has to offer it by checking Milotic, as well as the rest of the team.

Nidoqueen @

Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
Nidoqueen is an amazing Stealth Rocker on this team. Along with Toxic Spikes, this mon is able to irritate milotic by forcing it to take residual and poison damage on the switch. Mons like Flygon love this because it can cripple most of the opponent's Pokemon. Being a good Offensive-Support Pokemon. With support from Shaymin it doesn't have to be weary of opposing Mega-Blastoise, and Milotic.

Flygon @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
Flygon is a solid setup sweeper in the current metagame. This mon is able to handle most Electric, Rock, and Fire type mons, and does huge damage with Z-Outrage, even hitting hard on a resisted hit. Levitate allows it to be a great ground immunity for the team, and Iron Tail enables it to hit Pokemon like Florges for Super Effective damage. It fits well because it appreciates Hazard Stack as it forces a lot of switches.

Threat list

Mandibuzz

This mon is a huge threat to the team, it hard walls 5/6 of the teams members outside of Nidoqueen which I'm forced to switch in on a potential Foul Play / Knock Off being worn down after a while. Once Nidoqueen falls, this mon is able to run rampant.

Necrozma

Photon Geyser is able to put huge dents into this team. Once my breakers for this mon fall, Special Necrozma is able to do massive damage to mons like Doublade, Nidoqueen, and Flygon if i haven't boosted rendering me unable to switch-in to it.

10% and opposing Flygon

Usually nothing likes switching into a Banded Zygarde 10% or boosted Flygon, and once Shaymin falls I barely have a way to reliably check these two mons.

Importable
http://pokepast.es/190920208c20d043

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to leave your criticisms below, and thank you for taking the time to read this. :]

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to RU! this team seems pretty solid, though i can definitely see some ways to improve it.

Weaknesses at first glance

firstly, your team is extremely weak to mandibuzz. knock off variants of mandi can literally 6-0 this team if they knock the life orb off nidoqueen:

(life orb knocked)252+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Mandibuzz: 78-94 (35.9 - 43.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

even after rocks, mandi has a pretty high chance to live and roost it off, and faster mandi variants shit on queen as well.

your only answer to milotic is shaymin, which can be pretty problematic if its worn down or killed, or if its an ice beam variant. this can allow milotic to beat the remaining members of this team with ease. tspikes are not enough to handle it at all, since it very commonly run refresh.

major changes
>

tspikes are really mediocre in the current meta in my opinion, since many pokemon either arent affected by it, absorb them or levitate, like milo, cresselia, gligar and dragalge. nidoqueen isnt really an answer to common electrics except mega ampharos (who it cant switch into anyways) since both rotoms easily beat it with its other stab, so its main "utility" wouldnt actually be lost.) rhyperior is able to beat mandibuzz and provide stealth rock support as well. rock stab is also really useful for dealing with stuff like moltres and mega abomasnow, which also seem pretty hard to deal with. Megahorn is basically to hit mandibuzz on the roost, most grasses (if running rindo berry) and also slightly helps with your psychic weakness. swords dance also breaks mandi but i prefer megahorn bc sd can lose to foul play mandi.
Rhyperior @ Rindo Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn / Swords Dance / Ice Punch

your team is even weaker to milotic with rhyperior, so i think changing your scarf shaymin into a life orb one is more beneficial. this can allow you to play it more recklessly versus milotic and other water types. hp rock hits moltres, mandibuzz and stuff like that. it also checks zydog more reliably with synthesis, which is mostly why im not suggesting roserade over it lol
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power / Psychic
- Synthesis

>

Since the team no longer has a scarfer, scarf gardevoir over dd flygon is the best option for speed control. garde keeps shaymins access to healing wish, and is able to revenge basically everything shaymin can. fairy stab is also really useful for dark and dragon types in particular, which are able to beat most of your pokemon. alternatively, scarf flygon can also perform decently if you prefer that.
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp
- Healing Wish

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-Turn
- Aerial Ace / Defog / Dragon Claw

while aura sphere is nice to nail stuff like p2, i feel like ice beam is more important on this team to hit the aforementioned mandi, as well as being able to check zydog/flygon in a pinch if necessary. your team is also slightly weak to grasses like virizion if doublade dies (which isnt particularly hard to do considering how easy it is to chip and how common its counters are rn - even with healing wish support), which this slightly alleviates.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Earthquake

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Claw

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power / Psychic
- Synthesis

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp

OR

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-Turn

Hi, and welcome to RU! this team seems pretty solid, though i can definitely see some ways to improve it.

Weaknesses at first glance

firstly, your team is extremely weak to mandibuzz. knock off variants of mandi can literally 6-0 this team if they knock the life orb off nidoqueen:

(life orb knocked)252+ SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Mandibuzz: 78-94 (35.9 - 43.3%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

even after rocks, mandi has a pretty high chance to live and roost it off, and faster mandi variants shit on queen as well.

your only answer to milotic is shaymin, which can be pretty problematic if its worn down or killed, or if its an ice beam variant. this can allow milotic to beat the remaining members of this team with ease. tspikes are not enough to handle it at all, since it very commonly run refresh.

major changes
>

tspikes are really mediocre in the current meta in my opinion, since many pokemon either arent affected by it, absorb them or levitate, like milo, cresselia, gligar and dragalge. nidoqueen isnt really an answer to common electrics except mega ampharos (who it cant switch into anyways) since both rotoms easily beat it with its other stab, so its main "utility" wouldnt actually be lost.) rhyperior is able to beat mandibuzz and provide stealth rock support as well. rock stab is also really useful for dealing with stuff like moltres and mega abomasnow, which also seem pretty hard to deal with. Megahorn is basically to hit mandibuzz on the roost, most grasses (if running rindo berry) and also slightly helps with your psychic weakness. swords dance also breaks mandi but i prefer megahorn bc sd can lose to foul play mandi.
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

your team is even weaker to milotic with rhyperior, so i think changing your scarf shaymin into a life orb one is more beneficial. this can allow you to play it more recklessly versus milotic and other water types. hp rock hits moltres, mandibuzz and stuff like that. it also checks zydog more reliably with synthesis, which is mostly why im not suggesting roserade over it lol
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power / Psychic
- Synthesis

>

Since the team no longer has a scarfer, scarf gardevoir over dd flygon is the best option for speed control. garde keeps shaymins access to healing wish, and is able to revenge basically everything shaymin can. fairy stab is also really useful for dark and dragon types in particular, which are able to beat most of your pokemon. alternatively, scarf flygon can also perform decently if you prefer that.
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp
- Healing Wish

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-Turn

while aura sphere is nice to nail stuff like p2, i feel like ice beam is more important on this team to hit the aforementioned mandi, as well as being able to check zydog/flygon in a pinch if necessary. your team is also slightly weak to grasses like virizion if doublade dies (which isnt particularly hard to do considering how easy it is to chip and how common its counters are rn - even with healing wish support), which this slightly alleviates.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Frustration
- Rest
- Earthquake

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Claw

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power / Psychic
- Synthesis

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp

OR

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-Turn
Thanks for the changes, I appreciate it :].

teachable

Banned deucer.
Hey, overall cool team and seems like a pretty good representation of BO in RU which is cool to see.

V small changes but I'd definitely recommend Toxic over Aura Sphere on Mega Toise, since it lets you still cripple P2/Lax while letting you also deal with Mandi (or random stall stuff like Articuno).

Toxic over Toxic Spikes on Nido is also a good idea assuming you want to keep it, since it lets you also punish Mandi switching in. Additionally, since you mention struggling with Zydoge/Flygon I'd recommend running Shuca Berry on your Nidoqueen to effectively lure them. I'd run Modest w/ Shuca since you really need the extra power.

Lax lacking Rest Talk means you're hard pressed to deal with Lazzle (since its your only switch in to it and you'll inevitably have to Rest); I'd recommend running the Figy-Recycle set instead and just using it as a general all around tank. Milotic is honestly the best defensive mon in the tier and you really struggle with it, this gives you a way to switch in/beat it assuming you can get burned by it. You mention Necrozma as something you struggle with, and this set handles the special SR sets assuming they aren't running Knock.
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake

Jolly Flygon > Adamant. Screw getting revenge'd by Shaymin 100% of the time lol. Flygon also boosts on special Necrozma variants assuming you only need +1 to win and its healthy, you're kind of boned w/ physical variants tho.

I don't feel like Flygon really fits, its threatening but your team isn't doing much to weaken its checks. To fix that, I'd try running CB Escavalier instead of Doublade; access to pursuit means you can actually weaken a Bronzong and it'll still come in on Tsareena/Virizion easily + chunk Milo and it keeps you with an Ice resist. Escav handles physical Necrozma variants decently also. You also really lack a way to punish Umbreon other than forcing it to Heal Bell on Nido's Toxic so this will help w/ that.

As is your team seems OK, you don't have switch ins for everything but alas that's BO for you. Here's an import.

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nidoqueen @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake

Hey, overall cool team and seems like a pretty good representation of BO in RU which is cool to see.

V small changes but I'd definitely recommend Toxic over Aura Sphere on Mega Toise, since it lets you still cripple P2/Lax while letting you also deal with Mandi (or random stall stuff like Articuno).

Toxic over Toxic Spikes on Nido is also a good idea assuming you want to keep it, since it lets you also punish Mandi switching in. Additionally, since you mention struggling with Zydoge/Flygon I'd recommend running Shuca Berry on your Nidoqueen to effectively lure them. I'd run Modest w/ Shuca since you really need the extra power.

Lax lacking Rest Talk means you're hard pressed to deal with Lazzle (since its your only switch in to it and you'll inevitably have to Rest); I'd recommend running the Figy-Recycle set instead and just using it as a general all around tank. Milotic is honestly the best defensive mon in the tier and you really struggle with it, this gives you a way to switch in/beat it assuming you can get burned by it. You mention Necrozma as something you struggle with, and this set handles the special SR sets assuming they aren't running Knock.
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake

Jolly Flygon > Adamant. Screw getting revenge'd by Shaymin 100% of the time lol. Flygon also boosts on special Necrozma variants assuming you only need +1 to win and its healthy, you're kind of boned w/ physical variants tho.

I don't feel like Flygon really fits, its threatening but your team isn't doing much to weaken its checks. To fix that, I'd try running CB Escavalier instead of Doublade; access to pursuit means you can actually weaken a Bronzong and it'll still come in on Tsareena/Virizion easily + chunk Milo and it keeps you with an Ice resist. Escav handles physical Necrozma variants decently also. You also really lack a way to punish Umbreon other than forcing it to Heal Bell on Nido's Toxic so this will help w/ that.

As is your team seems OK, you don't have switch ins for everything but alas that's BO for you. Here's an import.

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nidoqueen @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Flygon @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade
- Earthquake
Thank you very much for the changes, I really appreciate it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)