Project USUM UU Research Week v2 (On a break)

Okay I haven't played nearly as many games with Zydog unlike last week with Absol mainly because I don't have as much time but also because I really hate Set-up Zydog. Like there were just too many games it couldn't do shit cos it’s too frail to be setting up, I ended up completely scrapping a team I had with it cos it just couldn't fulfil its role. For this reason, I decided to try aurora veil for the first time to try make it work and I was able to fit in Bruxish, so I'll give my thoughts on that too. I reached 1410 with just under 70% GXE and didn't want to play much more, but I played around 40 games, so I think I have enough info to talk about them. Just a heads up, I don't have any good replays for the Dog unfortunately.

rw5.PNG

<Click Sprites for Importable>

Zygarde-10% @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
Okay so this is the set I ran on Zydog. I mainly tried to mimic what its brother, that was once in OU, used to do under veil. Yes, I know it’s a kind of gimmicky squad in general especially with 4 Physical Mons lol, which is why you'll see I just swapped this Mon out later. Anyways, I felt screens would be the best way to allow this thing to set-up and while it does have an easier time, it is still super frail lol. Sure, it can attempt to break / sweep with double dance but at most it would get one or two boosts and kill one Mon maybe two depending on how fat the opponent’s squad was. This set was solely reliant on getting a lot of boosts for T-Arrows and E-Speed to do anything but because it struggled to set-up effectively it wasn’t all that amazing. Also, unlike its CB set there is no way to punish bulky walls because this set can't utilize Toxic. I gave it Iapapa to heal up to a decent health trying to set-up and it came in handy once or twice but otherwise it did very little. In some cases it put in work against offensive teams but this was mainly only effective in low ladder. Tbh DD Coba was the real reason this team functioned well because it did this dumb shit in like 70% of the games. There were just way too many scenarios where I wished I just had CB to just spam E-Speed or T-Arrows to claim or revenge something.

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
I also tried a DD + Z-Outrage set on a team I scrapped and on this veil team (I gave Coba Weakness Policy) but there is very little reason to run it when it will literally just invites in a Mon like Scizor or bulky Prim and get revenged. Imo the Mon is already fast enough to the point it doesn't need to set-up, its better off just hitting something hard on the switch and potentially 2OHKO it or simply doubling out after. Even CB + E-Speed allows it to be an effective sweeper in the late-game anyways. Like the biggest and only benefit of this set imo, was not having to get locked into Outrage thanks to the Z-Move.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-848862539 - Zydog doing something I guess after a coil boost but nothing special. Would have done the same thing with CB.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-848906190 - Against a super gimmicky team but that is as good of a replay I have for Set-up Zydog (Tried Outrage here but don't think I was running Dragonium-Z for some reason).

Okay so I decided to just drop set-up Zydog set and instead ran this team, essentially the same just added Salac Celebi and used EQ on Sandslash. This version functions so much better with having something that doesn't just lose to Scald Burns and Wisp, but I was trying to fit both on the same team with the first version. Anyways Bruxish was easily much better than set-up Zygarde imo, especially when it came to breaking stuff after a boost. Bruxish isn’t anything incredible but I had a lot of games where it got one or two SDs under veil and it just swept.

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet / Waterfall

Bruxish @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Dazzling
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall
- Snatch
Okay so Bruxish was basically just a Mega Sharpedo that has access to Swords Dance so in short it can hit like an absolute truck. However, the downside is having no way to boost its speed unless you run Z-Snatch (Which I did try btw, again gave Coba Weakness Policy), so it is quite easy to revenge kill. Personally, I think it’s better off just using SD + 3 Atks and start killing Balance and Stall teams. It put in a decent amount of work than what I expected, especially when it came to breaking apart a lot of fat cores like Gligar + Empoleon. I initially had Waterfall which was quite nice, but I retreated back to Aqua Jet because the priority was just too important for handling faster threats like MegaBee and Scarf Krook which most people were reliant on to revenge this Mon. It is also hard walled by Hydreigon because it can't really fit any other coverage on this set so that is one big downside of it. The Z-Snatch set was just too hard to pull off imo, especially with trying to support this Zydog set as well so yeah. I think there was one game I managed to pull off both SD + Z-Snatch but it didn't do a whole lot cos of my lack in coverage for things like Slowbro etc. But, I think it could be gimmicky enough to work against opposing HO teams. I don't really know what else to say, like Bruxish does a good job destroying Balance and Stall thanks to SD but I would rather use MegaShark any day of the week simply because Speed Boost just makes it insanely difficult to revenge the Mon + its stats still make it hit like a truck vs these archetypes anyway. Bruxish being overly reliant on Aqua Jet against faster teams was really annoying especially if I hadn’t set up an SD yet, but with a boost this wasn't always a massive issue. Overall I am actually pleased with Bruxish and I'm sure i'd have a different opinion on it if I wasn't running screens, but with team support like this it is definitely a threat.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-848894067 - Bruxish gets +2 under veil and basically 6-0's

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-849262945 - Another game where Bruxish just 6-0's. The guy pretty much lost to it at preview but I got +6 and it just swept.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-849276660 - Bruxish breaks through 4 members without a boost before dropping to LO recoil.

TLDR:

- Set-up Zydog was really underwhelming imo. Even with Screens it still has a hard time setting up and breaking shit without getting blown back. In most cases I'd rather just have CB to nuke something hard. It might have some potential, but for me I just wasn't the biggest fan of this set.

- Bruxish is really threatening to Balance and Stall Teams that just can't handle it after +2. But against most other archetypes it can struggle as it is still kinda slow compared to the fast threats in UU. It is reliant on Aqua Jet vs them and without a boost it does very little damage. In almost every case I'd rather use Mega-Shark due to Speed Boost, but I won't deny that if a team isn't preparred to switch into it you'll just sweep through.

- Veil is actually so braindead and fun lol, why the fck haven’t I tried this before lol

Again really fun week even if I thought this Zydog set was awful but I enjoy taking the time to make these wacky squads trying to make these sets/Pokemon work. Both Mons needed a lot of team support and basically forced me to play some more HO which is always fun. I look forward to see what you choose next week and if something catches my eye I'll give it a try ^_^

Edit: Holy shit I think I've been using Prankster Tornadus this whole time...I've fixed the importables lol

Last edited:
Not giving much thought on zydog because it was too frail to work and didn't ladder much with it because of that so yeah. I did however use my bruxish squad alot so my thoughts will mainly focus on that

Ugly Melon (Bruxish) @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Liquidation
- Ice Fang

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-Mow @ Grassium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

So I used a banded set on my bruxish and it worked pretty well. With Jet I could revenge many frailer mons. I went Strong Jaw to power up my STAB Psychic fangs and coverage in ice fang. I found CB Bruxish was good but had paper thin defenses so it didn't live many hits. If it did live a hit it could usually KO back with Jet or Liquidation. My squad I used was a spikestack to weaken checks like Celebi. I found this to work best with Bruxish.

TLDR
Bruxish is good but has flaws
Setup Zydog is absolute shit

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
USMRW5 Estarossa

Going to try Bruxish, may possibly try one of the others too

Brief Initial Thoughts: Running SD + 3 attacks atm, aqua jet priority definitely feels like a necessity with all the faster threats running around. Seems to be doing a good job of dismantling balance cores, but essentially feels like a discount crawdaunt, which just does everything bruxish is doing but better, except bruxish trades the strong non priority water stab for being able to kill crawdaunts counters, but crabhammer definitely just feels more powerful atm. Bruxish does have a better speed tier however, with multiple noteable outspeeds, including heracross and rotom-h, but unless running liquidation you cant do anything to rotom-h, and crawdaunt deals with a lot of the other noteable ones like mamo and nidoking with its own aqua jet anyway. I imagine if/when trying CB instead I will probably come to the same conclusion, with CB crawdaunt being my preferred crawdaunt set anyway. Going to try looking at some more interrersting sets on bruxish that don't just make it a carbon copy of crawdaunt.

Initial Thoughts on a More Unique Set: When trying to look for a kind of different idea of what bruxish could perform, one obvious path was to look at z-moves on status moves. Z-Snatch is cool in that it gives a +2 Boost while stealing the opposing move, but I am deciding to try out Z-Rain Dance instead, allowing bruxish to outspeed whole unboosted tier (if jolly), and giving a pseudo strong jaw boost to liquidation too for 4 turns too, allowing it to act as a late game sweeper, while also giving it a powerful hydro vortex if z-liquidation is deemed more useful (unlike the z-snatch set where z-crunch is only ~30% stronger than a strong jaw crunch). While aqua jet may still be more useful, I get the impression that the raw power of liquidation under rain dance will be more useful on this set, but this remains to be seen.

Final Thoughts: I haven't really done many games this week due to being busy at uni, but from what I've played with bruxish it definitely feels like choice band is honestly the best set for immediate raw power. Z-Rain Dance is a nice set but very match-up dependent, feels essentially like a mega sharpedo but with the ability to actually run a water stab, but not as good as it can only boost its speed once during the game and not further than +1. Z-Snatch is another interesting niche set in that if played well it could actually steal the opponents boosts too and make for a mega sweep, but bruxish doesn't really have the bulk to double dance very easily so this is the only way to easily end up with a double dance by stealing. Swords Dance sets can be amazing vs slower more bulkier teams, but struggle against more speedy teams, with a much weaker aqua jet than crawdaunt due to lower attack stat and no adaptibility. Choice Band sets are nice with the raw power of psychic fangs, and a nice speed tier, and deal well with the counters for crawdaunt like chesnaught, but their inability to effectively deal with steel types really hinder them, since even if running liquidation it isn't strong jaw boosted so pales in comparison to a banded crabhammer from crawdaunt. Again the weaker aqua jet also means bruxish fails to get certain ohkos, including mega beedrill, mega aerodactyl and terrakion.

In the end there I feel that while each individual set I have covered that you could run with bruxish can be pretty good, they are either situational (z-snatch + SD + Rain dance) or just done better by another pokemon (CB + SD + Rain Dance). Obviously I haven't talked about all possible sets though, so there may be some that I am ignoring.

Last edited:
Didn't want to play too much this week, but I had a ton of free time so I ended up doing 88 games without realizing it. Can't remember how much for each 'mon, but it was probably 50 with Zydog and 38 with Bruxish. Also I wanted to build a few teams with these two, but I rage quit the teambuilding midway and scrapped most of them. Currently sitting at 1476 with 71.1% GXE, but I might ladder a bit more today.

Setup Zydoge
A to Z (Zygarde-10%) @ Dragonium Z / Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage / Extreme Speed
- Extreme Speed / Substitute
A to Z (Zygarde-10%) @ Leftovers / Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed / Toxic
- Substitute
It was ... slightly better than I expected. I still think CB Zydoge is the better set, but DD Zydoge wasn't disappointing. It's extremely hard to find setup opportunities for it though, and without proper support it's kinda hard for it to clean, but when it did find a turn to set-up, it was pretty hard to stop.

Main reason for that is its excellent speed tier, that allows it to outspeed all common scarfers in the tier if it goes Jolly, and is only outsped by scarf Terrakion and Infernape if it goes Adamant. That means the best way to revenge kill it is to rely on priorities, but not all of them actually kill zydoge if it still has a decent amount of health (also said priority users can be dealt with the rest of your team).

Having the ability to use a Z-move compared to the band variant may not sound like a big deal, but it actually helps Zydog a ton as it can break through Gligar, Hippowdon and Celebi much more easily (also it doesn't have to risk a roll on Amoonguss) and without locking itself on Outrage (which would make it total fairy food). I also tried to use Groundium Z a bit, and it definitely helps dealing with the ultra common fairies in the tier without having to rely on Iron Tail (which doesn't kill most fairies from full at +1, lol), but Dragonium really seems to be the better option.

Also, Thousand Arrows and Dragon Dance really are the only moves you need, which opens up several options on the last slots.
Outrage(+Dragonium) and Extreme Speed are the obvious choices, but I also tried using Toxic + Sub (didn't really work except for messing with Quagsire/Non-Rest Pyukumuku) and Outrage + Substitute, and that last combination was actually pretty effective as it allows you to setup on Alomomola for free (Alo's Scald doesn't break 0HP/0SpD Zygarde's sub without SpA investments, same for Knock Off unless you don't run a Z move on Zygarde),gives you another turn to setup on Amoonguss, guarantees Rotom-H can't do anything to you (WoW Rotom-H is apparently a thing) and lets you avoid the Sucker Punch mindgame against Bisharp.

I only talked about the DD set so far, and that's because Coil is ... disappointing. It has a few uses, notably being harder to revenge kill with priority and making Gligar and Non-Whirlwind Hippo actual setup fodders (assuming Zygarde has Substitute and Leftovers), but you actually need quite a lot of defensive investment in order to prevent Gligar breaking your sub at +1 (you need 252HP/124Def for Gligar's EQ to not break your sub once at +1), and Leftovers felt pretty mandatory to keep setting subs up. Zydoge simply does not have the bulk to effectively use Coil, and it still gets revenge killed by one of the most common scarfers in Hydreigon unless it has taken a ridiculous amount of damage (+1 Extreme Speed from Zydog does 36.6-43.3% to standard Hydreigon) or Zydog is still behind its substitute since +1 TArrows into ESpeed deals like 98-116%.

As for its shortcomings ... The dog doesn't hit that hard once setup since it only has base 100 Attack, meaning that you can't OHKO 'mons you don't want to see survive (like ... any fairy in the tier tbh). Zygarde also has pitiful bulk that makes it pretty hard to find setup opportunities (except if your opponent has a Rotom-Heat, then it's free real estate) especially considering it simply has a tough Match-up against a ton of common 'mons in the tier : Scizor destroys it, Latias doesn't fear much except for Outrage, same for Hydra and Clanger, Gligar doesn't care much about anything Zygarde does, Krook is rarely 2HKO by +0 TArrows but has guaranteed 2HKO with Knock Off and EQ does 81-95%, fairies shit on him (except non Toxic Klefki ig), Moltres destroys it and doesn't even take half from +0 Jolly TArrows ... You get the idea.

I only played Zydog in a Spikes HO (and a Veil, but I didn't use Zygarde once in that team ...), and I'm pretty sure that's the archetype where it shines the most, as this kind of team gives the chip damage Zygarde needs to clean late-game. Aurora Veil may sound like a good idea, but it's not enough to patch up Zygarde's bulk sadly.
A to Z (Zygarde-10%) @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Substitute

Deadly Temptation (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond

Hope Alive (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Crimson Fighter (Bisharp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 HP / 236 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Iclucian Dance (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Oceanos (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-850045172 - Zydog manages to setup on Alomomola, gets to +2, cleans
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-849744467 - Zygarde gets a DD up on Rotom and gets 3 kills after that. Don't really understand why my opponent forfeited that early considering Steelix wasn't in TArrows range. Guess it couldn't handle the rest of my team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-849196449 - Zygarde sets up on Magneton (one more reason to not use that thing) and cleans

Bruxish

Sunshine Coastline (Bruxish) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
I only tried the SD set on Bruxish, and I actually liked it a lot. It really enjoys people being prepared to handle Crawdaunt and Sharpedo-Mega, as it has a pretty good MU against most hard-checks to these two, especially if it gets an SD up. Its speed compared to Crawdaunt is actually a bigger deal than I thought, as there are a ton of 'mons that can take Crawdaunt's Aqua-Jet, outspeed it and easily get rid of it (notable examples being Chesnaught, Kommo-o and Scizor), and Bruxish outspeeds and gets rid of most of them.

A big problem it has, however, is the existence of Hydreigon, as you have to use Ice Fang to hit it, meaning giving up another crucial move. It also struggles to get past really bulky steel-types (read : Steelix-Mega and Aggron-Mega) as both don't take that much from +2 Crunch/Psychic Fangs/Aqua-Jet, and Steelix has a good chance to OHKO Bruxish after rocks.

But apart from that, Bruxish deals ridiculous amounts of damage when it gets to click Psychic Fangs, and Aqua-Jet means it isn't deadweight against more offensive teams. Interesting 'mon for sure if you want something to break fat teams, but never forget that it struggles against Hydreigon, and that its bulk is far from incredible.

Oh yeah, I only used Strong Jaw as its ability. Dazzling doesn't really help considering it already resists most priorities used in the tier, and Wonder Skin ... No thanks. I guess Dazzling Bruxish also counters Comfey, so it can be an interesting meme if you know your opponent will bring one.
take the Zygarde-10 squad I posted above and replace it with SD Bruxish, boom.
Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore

Sandslash-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Linoone @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 148 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Def / 88 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Seed Bomb

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Substitute
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-850458882 - Once Umbreon is dead, Bruxish can easily setup to +4 on my opponent's Slowbro and clean the game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-850456515 - Opponent forfeited, but unless it had Toxic + Protect Empoleon, Bruxish could clean no problem (unless I got a low roll on Chesnaught)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-850025221 - Bruxish didn't clean that one, but geting rid of Swampert and Reuniclus, and weakening Scizor allowed Linoone to clean afterwards
tl;dr
-Setup Zydog isn't too shabby in Spikes HO, but it's really hard to find setup opportunities for it
-Bruxish is a decent fat breaker that isn't deadweight against offense. It really enjoys Crawdaunt and Sharpedo-Mega's popularity as it can break through several of their answers. Ladder isn't a good place for it though, since (from what I've seen anyway) most of the teams you encounter there are more offense-inclined.
There isn't any good blue-haired girl avatar on SD thanks Miyazaki

Guess who's back for another freaking long post.. ? This week was pretty cool overall and as usual, some of the Pokemon that were proposed were pretty cool while another one was a really piece of crap. I've played 36 games this week (yeah I know it's nothing compared to last week lmao) but I definitively think that I was able to identify the potential of each proposed Pokemon of this week. I've done around 10 games with Zygarde 10% and Bruxish and around 15 with Aggron-Mega. I also reach 1630 Elo during this week !

-------------------------------------------------------------

Set-up Zygarde 10% - Novice dancer :

First of all, let's talk about Set-up Zydog which is without a doubt the worst Pokemon we got this week. I had a feeling that this one was going to be bad and I wasn't wrong. Unlike Kommo-o which was bad with Choice Band but great with Set-up moves, Zygarde 10% struggles so much to set-up due to its pitiful Bulk. I've tried my best to exploit Dragon Dance Zydog or Double Dance Zydog but overall it struggles to be effective. I even try during few games Set-up Zydog under Veil but even with screens up it wasn't really effective. In my opinion, Zydog should always run Choice Band because it has access to Thousand Arrows which is literally the most splashable and spammable moves in Pokemon. When you are playing Zydog you just want to abuse the fact that outside of Shedinja (LOL), Thousand Arrows has no immunity so you know you're going to inflict some damages. Since Zydog has a bad Bulk, it's hard to justify that you want to use Dragon Dance / Coil since Choice Band already gives it a straight +1 in Attack without losing Momentum. Since Zydog already has a pretty cool Speed, it doesn't need that much a boost in Speed. As I said before, I tried Dragon Dance Zydog with 3 attacks (and either Dragonium Z or Groundium Z) but also Double Dance Groundium Z + E-Speed Zygarde 10%. This set is in my opinion better than its regular Dragon Dance since it allows Zydog to 1v1 Krookodile (you Dragon Dance on its Switch-in and then Coil). However, most of the time, you will struggle to set-up and if you'll do it, you'll take the risk to take a shit ton of damages on your Zygarde 10% which means it will drop after to every single priority. Also, I would like to highlight the fact that in my opinion, you shouldn't run Adamant on Zygarde 10% even with Dragon Dance. As opposed to RU, the Underused has really fast Pokemon which can hold a Choice Scarf like Latias and I do believe that you definitively don't want to Set-up your Zygarde 10% if it’s to be Revenge Kill by a pretty common Choice Scarf user.

Zygarde-10% @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

Starmie @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 20 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 76 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh
- Return
In my opinion this is the best of three teams I made for Zydog. It's a really offensive team with Double Dance Groundium Z Zydog. I choose Starmie over Tentacruel because I needed a fast Rapid Spinner which can pressure and weaken opponent's Pokémon and I feel like Starmie was better to handle this role. I opted for Colbur Berry over Life Orb because I think it's better but Life Orb should also work. Then we have Stealth Rocks Kommo-o which is a great pick (if not the best) to set Stealth Rocks when you want an offensive Stealth Rocks setter. Rotom-Heat is used as a Pivot and it can weaken fat Pokemon thanks to Toxic + Pain Split which allows Zydog to be better in the endgame. Finally, we have SD Roost Scizor and DD Refresh Altaria-Mega which enjoy the fact that Zydog can pressure Steel type. Both of them can take some hits while still being able to act as Win Condition / Cleaner.

Replay :

Zydog was able to set-up vs Milotic and then proceed to clean

Bruxish - Hawaiian pizza :

Now let's talk about Bruxish. This Pokemon is kinda weird tbh. I feel like it has a niche but it's hard to justify to use Bruxish when we do have Sharpedo-Mega in the same tier which is better in almost any situation by not being weak to Pursuit and way more faster thanks to Speed Boost. However Bruxish has some assets over Sharpedo-Mega like Swords Dance and the fact that it doesn't take a Mega slot. I've been testing 2 differents set of Bruxish ; one with Swords Dance under Veil but it didn't convince me and another with Choice Band. Like Zydog, Bruxish has a pitiful Bulk and I do believe that Choice Band is its set because it allows it to act has a pretty decent Wallbreaker (it can 2HKO Alomomola with Stealth Rocks damages). Also, even if Bruxish is slower than some threats like Hydreigon or Krookodile, the fact that it has a 92 BS in Speed means that it can actually pressure Pokemon like Nasty Plot Lucario or Moltres. While Bruxish has 2 greats abilities, I definitively think that it should always run Strong Jaw and not Dazzling because it needs that extra power on its bite-based attacks. Overall I think that Bruxish is an "ok" Pokemon. It can be good with enough support but it's not a Pokemon as good as something like Shaymin or Durant. While it's Psychic type allows it to have a really powerful Psychic Fangs, it leaves it with a huge weakness to Pursuit and it sucks.

Bruxish @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation / Ice Fang
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 20 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
This is a pretty straightforward Bulky Offense. Cobalion is my Stealth Rock setter while Rotom-Heat is my Defogger. Sylveon brings support to its teammates with Wish and Cleric support. It also bring to the team a way to handle Dragon types, Fighting types and Dark types. Hydreigon is my Revenge Killer and Pivot. It paired well with Rotom-Heat and Scizor. Talking about Scizor, it's my Cleaner and it enjoys that Bruxish is able to dent Bulky and Fat Pokemon. Bruxish acts as a nice Breaker thanks to Choice Band + Strong Jaw. I opted for Liquidation because this is its best Water STAB but you can also opt for Ice Fang which allows it to catch Hydreigon on the Switch-in and to 2HKO Mandibuzz without Stealth Rocks damages.

Replay : I don't have any replays which shows Bruxish actually putting some work

Block Aggron-Mega - Trap, Set-Up & Win

Finally I'm going to talk about Block Aggron-Mega which is without a doubt the best Pokemon we got so far this week. I already tried in the past Block Aggron-Mega so I already knew what to expect. Block Aggron-Mega is a really nice Pokemon which can 1v1 a ton of Pokemon in Underused thanks to Curse + Rest. It's tredemous Bulk paired with Rest also allows it to PP Stall a lot of Pokemon (Choice Locked or not). The main objective of this Pokemon is to trap something which can't beat it on 1v1 like non-Roar Swampert, Choice Scarf Latias, Bisharp, non-U-Turn Gligar and then proceed to set-up with Curse. Rest allows it to heal itself but also allows it to doesn't give a fuck about status like Burn or Paralysis. Overall, I think Block Aggron-Mega is a 100% viable set and can be really great either as a Win Condition or to support its teammates by PP Stalling foes or by removing some Pokemon which deals with Aggron-Mega teammates. Rest also allows Aggron-Mega to be a better check in the long run to Pokemon like Latias or Bisharp.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Block
- Curse
- Rest
- Heavy Slam

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Knock Off / Sludge Wave
- Scald

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
Block Aggron-Mega is the MVP of this squad as it's able to remove Fairy types with ease which helps Hydreigon and Kommo-o to abuse of their Dragon STAB. Aggron-Mega can also handle with ease Bisharp and soft check Primarina which is a huge threat for the team. Because of Primarina, I decided to run Knock Off on Tentacruel to remove it's Choice Specs. Sludge Wave is viable too. Kommo-o is my Stealth Rocks setter and my Stallbreaker. On the other hand, Sylveon paired really well with Aggron-Mega by being able to support it thanks to Wish and Heal Bell. Sylveon can also handle on its own Hydreigon and Kommo-o. Last but not least, Scizor is my Late Game Sweeper and it really benefits of the fact that Aggron-Mega is able to trap and remove some of its checks like Tentacruel, Swampert, Bisharp, non-Nasty Plot Infernape or Amoonguss.

Replay :

Aggron-Mega traps Klefki which allows it to peacefully set-up and win
Once Celebi was gone, Aggron-Mega 1v5 opponent's team

tl;dr :

• Zydog is not a good set-up Sweeper and should only remain as a Choice Band user. Its Bulk is too bad to handle this role.
• Bruxish faces competition with Sharpedo-Mega. However it has some tools which provides it a small niche in UU as a powerful breaker.
• Block Aggron-Mega is a great Pokemon which can dismantle on its own entire team if it finds the right opportuniy to trap a Pokemon and proceed to set-up.

Thanks for reading me and see ya next week ! :psyglad:

Last edited:
Props for making these huge ass posts lads.

Played a handful of games and I do have to say I'm kind of dissapointed by Bruxish. I used it a fair amount about a year ago and during late mvenu meta (which is also the last time I played mons in general lol) and it definitely fell off since then. Other great users have already mentioned some of bruxish obvious flaws such as Pursuit weakness, competition from Mega Shark and lack of bulk.

Psychic Fangs is obviously quite the nuke and Brux matches up fairly well versus balance and bulkier playstyles. It is also faster than for example Crawdaunt which provides more opportunities to fire off moves and has significantly more power than Mega Shark after an SD. I guess you could even make a point that Dark/Steels are managable with proper team support, or that it does resist common prio like BP or Shard, but I feel at the end of the day all Bruxish provides is wallbreaking power, which we really arent short of in UU at the moment.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Bruxish @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Liquidation
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Polish

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Block Aggron: Still good <3 _ <3. It's really effective with pokemon like Defensive Celebi or clanger since they are seen running non-SR sets frequently. Celebi really appreciates Aggron blocking an opposing Aggron setting up SR turn one and removing them, too. Running Iron Head over Heavy Slam for pp is pretty much required, but if you're using Toxic Spikes or something you can probably get away with running Heavy Slam still. The main team I used was with defensive Celebi + Block Aggron, 99% stolen from an old team by faded love.

Zydoge: Kinda a let down but I had some good games with double dance, coil help a couple times but ultimately CB is just so much better. Not much to add.

:gayfish: (Bruxish): I had really low expectations but it still let me down lol. It's basically mega shark with wallbreaking prowess > speed. Swords Dance is relatively hard to set up without veil support. Long story short I ended up building around Feraligatr bc Bruxish is that bad.

I was busy this week so I haven't had as much opportunity to do battles or get the post in. Anyways, lets get rolling.
Zygarde-10% @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Lets start with Zygarde. You may notice something funny here in that my Zygarde was substitute dragon dance. Substitute is easily the best means to an end for non-choice Zygarde, as it almost takes a substitute Gengar-like role in staving it's most common revenge killers. And setting up Sub on forced switches like Rotom H allows a lot of shenanigans. Another thing noteworthy is that I went with Groundium Z over Dragonium. This is because Groundium lets Zygarde battle some lighter checks like bulky Primarina and Altaria sets, letting Zygarde effectively deal with them if it's at +1. Bulky Prim in particular is really easy now since you can set up sub on the switch and DD in it's face with the sub. That said, I don't much like the dragonium set, or DD 3 attacks. I only managed to get DD to work decently well with my particularly odd setup.

Bruxish @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Mienshao @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

The fish looks and acts like the weird inbred lovechild of Crawdaunt and Sharpedo, and it's about as good as that mental image in certain regards. Lets get one thing straight before I say anything else. This thing is not a water type. It's Liquidations are piss-weak compared to options like Feraligatr and Crawdaunt. So much so that I found that I didn't even feel the need to run it on this set and instead ran both ice fang and crunch so I could hit both Hydreigon and Slowbro. Anyways, like I said, once you stop looking at this thing like a water type, that's when it really shines. It's psychic fangs are BRUTALLY strong, and I found many situations where Bruxish was OHKO or 2HKOing most mons on my opponent's team. As a physical water breaker, it's mediocre. As a physical psychic breaker? God help you. This thing was extremely threatening whenever it got a free passage in and highlighted more of my battles than I thought it would. This is an example of a mon that chose exactly one thing to be good at and roll with it, and whooooo boy does Bruxish roll with it. This mon is weird but I would definitely use it again.

Darksafadao

best of the second options
And with this we've reached the end of this week. Congratulations to Moutemoute for winning this one. Here are what our researchers found:

Setup Zygarde-10%

Zygarde-10% has access to some interesting setup moves, but that doesn't mean it can make good use of them, as we can see out of the researcher's reports. The main points are it being frail, already being fast enough, not hitting that hard and just wishing to be the usual CB set and spamming the super spammable move Thousand Arrows (pointed out by the 3 researchers Twilight, Daiyaga, Scizorphobic, and Moutemoute). Moutemoute goes far to say that even under veil its really lackluster bulk makes it not able to setup effectively. Twilight mentions that the sweeping potential the setup sets have are already somewhat hidden in the CB set, as CB + Espeed is a good sweeping weapon. However, Zydog wasn't only met with criticism, as Daiyaga saw some good points on it, although he still likes CB better. He states that not having to click Outrage to kill some common foes out of just bursting the Z-move is a good thing as you don't get locked into it, and although the already high speed was mentioned as point for it using CB as it is already fast enough to pull off a sweep, Daiyaga points out that it is not revenge killed by the common scarfers at +1, making the revenge killing options rely on priority (or sheer bulk). He also experimented with different sets as he judges Dragon Dance and Thousand Arrows the only mandatory moves and had interesting results, such as Sub Outrage annoying Alomomola. Smallsmallrose also tested Substitute sets.

Bruxish
As pointed out by the researchers Smallsmallrose, Miven^, Twilight, Scizorphobic, Moutemoute, Estarossa and Daiyaga, it shares many similarities with Crawdaunt and Mega Sharpedo. However, it was pointed out how its speed tier makes it differ from Crawdaunt, as many Pokemon that don't mind Aqua Jet now have something to fear, as pointed more specifically by Daiyaga, and Moutemoute pointed that such speed helps threatening mons like Lucario and Moltres. The consensus was that Psychic Fangs hits very hard and that's what Bruxish does best, pointed out by billionbattler and Smallsmallrose. However, the lackluster bulk and pursuit weakness along with not hitting hard as Daunt with Water STAB and not having Speed Boost like Sharpedo put in a denominated spot of being 'weird'. Such problems and advantages make Bruxish not great nor bad, but certainly unique and marking its niche in the tier.

Block Aggron
This week's research on Block Aggron was made by Scizorphobic and Moutemoute. They tell us it's a great Pokemon as it can abuse Pokemon it beats (which are many due to the typing and ability) to the point of setting up non stop and hitting hard or even just PP stalling to help its teammates. It becomes more effective when paired with Pokemon with rocker sets that unusually run Stealth Rock as then Aggron can bluff being a Stealth Rock set, trapping Pokemon more easily and revealing its secret once it's too late to stop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this being said, here are the picks for this week:

Suicune @ Filler item
EVs: 252 HP with the rest being filler
Filler Nature
Ability: Pressure
- Scald
- Substitute
- Toxic
-

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spe with the rest being filler
Speed boosting Nature
-
-
-
-

Scizor @ Assault Vest
EVs: Filler EVs
Filler Nature
-
-
-
-

Suicune is and has always been a solid pick on bulkier teams, having two distinct sets that abuse both its ability and its bulk. However, there have been successful sets outside of Crocune and Vincune; Roarcune and a more recent Icium variant both take advantage of different checks and add to Suicune's arsenal. This week we investigate the utility that Toxic may provide, potentially becoming another solid work-around for Suicune's checks.

Celebi has now cemented itself since Serperior and Breloom gone as one of the tier's premiere Grass-type wallbreakers. The decline of Muk-Alola usage meant more versatility and options for Celebi --- those options include Ghostium, Grassium, Psychium, and in some cases Colbur Berry. Its base 100 speed is usually underappreciated thanks to the tier's common scarfers scaring it out or RKOing it, but its base 100 speed is enough to outpace those same 'mons with a little bit of help. This week we'll explore what a Choice Scarf variant has to offer.

Scizor has been UU's resident busted 'mon, thanks to its monstrous base attack, solid 70 / 100 / 80 bulk, and Technician in combination with its irrefutably useful STABs in (Technician-boosted) Bullet Punch and U-Turn. Thanks to its expansive movepool, there seems to be no true boundary to what role Scizor can play in this tier. An Assault Vest variant can be a very interesting pick in our CM Latias & NP Celebi infested metagame.

As with past editions, sign up with a fresh USMRW6 alt, and post your results, as well as your own thoughts on the Pokemon in question. You are free to edit your signup post if your post count is a concern. For the first week, the deadline will be Sunday, Jan 27th, at 11:59 pm GMT-2. My co-host sei or I will check everyone's ladder scores then and decide the winner. Good luck everyone and happy researching!

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
USMRW6 Estarossa

Gonna try all 3 probably.

Some Initial Thoughts on Scarf Celebi: at first honestly this seemed a bit mediocre, considering base 100 spA isnt very high unboosted. However, due to learning u-turn, it mitigates some of the problems scarf latias has a la pursuit trapping, though it can obviously be pursuit trapped by sacking something first, but u-turning out on sacks could still prevent this,, and these u-turns pair well with the resists to its stabs too, especially hydreigo and, latias. Also learning healing wish is nice too, and i'm currently thinking something along the line of below. Essentially feels like running a scarf latias but with trading power and trick for ability to avoid being so easily pursuit trapped via u-turn. (Very similar considering leaf storm == draco). Outspeeds scarf krook too which is nice, so if it thinks it can safely come in on you after using leaf storm and pursuit trap you, it can't really unless its at near full health,

-2 252 SpA Celebi Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 236-282 (71.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn
- Psychic

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Initial Thoughts on AV Scizor: seems a cool idea in theory in my head, but almost definitely feels like something that needs to be built around with cleric support, both heal belling scalds you may end up taking and wish passing. Not that that is a bad thing in the slightest, but it is slightly restrictive in turns of team design. Currently experimenting with ev spreads, and movepools, with myself leaning towards pursuit over knock off for the special attackers you end up coming in on.

Biggest issue i'm really coming across here is unlike a standard bulky sd scizor you have no way of boosting your offence, so you are actually rather weak if you decide to invest in bulk, and unlike a defogging bulky scizor you have no utility or recovery, the requirement of a wish passer + losing out on defog/sd just doesn't seem to make up for the slightly better spdef in my mind. Tthough while this mon is good against offensive teams against any defensive teams or stall its utterly useless because it just invites free healing everywhere, so not are you only requiring cleric support for it but also strong anti stall measures since if anything this mon is actually a liability in the stall matchup straight away they figure out you don't have swords dance, severely limiting your teambuilding options. It can also be set up fodder quite heavily since it lacks real power, allowing mons such as suicune, scizor, clanger, infernape to easily set up on it, and also hazard set up fodder as it can no longer threaten most hazard setters and since it can't run defog, allow rocks / spikes up for free while the best you can do is knock off (if not running pursuit) or u turn away.

tl;dr basically requires a team framework built around it to both keep it healthy and stop it being set up / heal up / hazard setting fodder, and i don't believe the loss of power/utility is worth the slightly better spdef really, when you can now only heal via wish passing / healing wish (or other such moves). I am talking about this from the perspective of a balance player however, and I could see it being more effective as a more bulky pivot on more offensive teams where healing may be deemed less important due to trying to wrap the game up quicker, however I imagine more standard sets would still be more effective here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Initial Thoughts on SubToxic Suicune: for now i'm just running protect in 4th, for the extra recovery / pp stall / toxic damage, which seemed like the best option honestly. in theory seems cool, set up a sub, watch a latias come in and try and set up, and toxic its face. Will be totally useless against teams running blissey or celebi though. Set certainly has potential to play off people's natural behaviour vs a suicune though, such as bringing out a kommo-o, latias, hydreigon, specs primarina, etc though. A minimum of 216 timid speed seems most logical,( 252 if you want speed ties with other base 85's like nidoking), so you can always beat out stallbreaker togekiss and outspeed mamoswine among others, but i guess you could invest in more bulk if you design your team around it more. Imo seems incredibly matchup dependent whether it can actually be any use or not, but has huge potential vs certain teams especially when people have more traditional answers that they want to try and set up on it with ie. latias.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Scald
- Protect

Last edited:
USMRW6 Daiyaga
Gonna try AV Zor and scarf celebi
Some quick thoughts on both now that I built a bit :
- Scarf Celebi seems cool & all to grab some surprise KO's here and there (like a M-Beedrill or a weakened Nihilego), but the weakness to pursuit trapping and slight 4MSS due to the amount of options Celebi has access to (Double STAB/Trick/U-turn/Healing Wish/Dazzling Gleam/Earth Power are all legit moves, and that's a lot) make it feel like an average scarfer at best
- AV zor takes special hits very well based on a few calcs I ran, but bulk tends to be useless if you have no form of recovery. Might be interesting with Wish support

Last edited:
Bruxish @ Psychium Z
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Spiky Shield
- Synthesis

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Rotom-Heat @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower

I apologize for the late post. Had an internet problem + flu.

To my surprise, I enjoyed Bruxish' power a lot. I first dabbled with Choice Band with Galvantula Webs HO, but that didn't work out so hot (and/or Kommo'o just bossing everybody without Bruxish' help) so changed that team to Thunder Wave spam and SD Psychium Z Bruxish. Overall, I'm having immense trouble getting Bruxish in because I always had this notion that is frail, but when it does go in, it goes in hard. Scizor is a really big roadblock for Bruxish though, and I'm really not sure if it can afford to run Liquidation just to hit it neutrally.

Bruxish really does have a good niche as a breaker though. I didn't have the time to explore its defensive capability if it uses Dazzling, although I can't imagine it hitting too hard without Strong Jaw. 3/5 for me

That said, USMRW6 Laza.

Had played around Scarf Celebi before so might as well try it again. Assault Vest Scizor too because I don't think Scizor can do anything bad.

(Again, sorry for the late reply :pirate: )

So I had quite a lot of fun with these sets this week apart from the Suicune one but I'll get into that later. I've played just over 50 games this week and peaked just over 1500, but I mainly focused on Celebi and Scizor. I'll probs play a bit more later and peak higher as I'm pretty free this week, but I don't think my opinions will shift drastically. If they do I'll update my opinions on Suicune. Anyways, I plan to talk about these three in order of which I liked most so with that out of the way here are my thoughts:

rw6.PNG

So built around Suicune and knew I should just run some fat shit. I added MegaLix to be a wincon as Suicune lacks CM plus checks Latias etc. Next, I added Blissey to Wish Pass to Suicune and MegaLix also just makes me less reliant on needing checks to Moltres etc. Added NP Togekiss as my StallBreaker and Heal Bell user. Tentacruel makes me not lose to Ape and Lucario, plus is my hazard remover. Hydra for speed control and pivots around.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute
Okay as I mentioned this is the team I ran to try support SubToxic Suicune and while the team in general was fine (Kinda Terrak weak tho), I found that Suicune didn't really do a whole lot. I'm not going to say the set is bad, because it is no where near DD Zydog or CB Kommo-o bad lmao. I just decided to stop using it after a few games as in most games I couldn't showcase it doing much. Anyways, SubToxic was kinda nice for punishing aggressive switch-ins into Pokemon like Zeraora and Manectric that want to try and shut it down before it starts boosting. It made it a lot nicer for handling them as I limited how often they could come in. Ofc this set acts more like a bluff as imo it can't afford to run Calm Mind. It just doesn't have an easy time setting up with how dependant it is on Substitute and solely having Lefties as recovery. Anyway I found in most cases I'd rather just run the standard Crocune or Vincune set and attempt to be an effective late game sweeper. The best thing I got a Toxic off against was a Calm Mind Latias which can easily beat the standard sets which was nice, but the team in general doesn't really care about Latias, so I guess this depends on how much it favours your squad. I can see instances where it is really nice to beat down Volcanion and Jellicent (Other Water Absorb users), but again you could easily set-up vs both of these with the standard set and even PP Stall them to a decent degree with Pressure. I didn't end up playing a lot of games with this squad as I just found very little success with making Suicune effective, I do have one replay but I was on my main account in a tour but I'll share it anyways. Sorry for a really short description about this, it just wasn't effective enough for me to enjoy using it further >.<
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-852861685 - As useful as I found Suicune to be with Toxic stalling Zera and beating Tentacruel

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-854277782 - Using a squad Moute passed me and it put in work removing Raikou and Ape

So I built this team around Scarf Celebi and I only played 10 games with this team and went 7-3 with it, but I also ended up using it again with the next squad. I chose Specs Hydra to make people think I'm running Scarf on a team like this. SD Steelium-Z Coba to muscle through Amoonguss and Primarina. Rotom-H my flying and secondary Scizor check. DD Refresh Malt to help with the stall match-up and is my sweeper. Added Mamoswine cos why not.

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
At first I thought it was kinda mediocre but the more I tested with it, the more I enjoyed and saw potential in the set. I think the biggest thing that makes this set so effective is its surprise factor, which is why in both teams I used either Hydreigon or Krookodile to mask it being the standard NP set. The number of times I killed Pokemon like MegaBee and Starmie was crazy because people don't expect you to be scarfed. I opted for Leaf Storm for obvious reasons, as Celebi is weak as fck without a boost. This just lets it nuke Pokemon pretty hard and could potentially get the 2OHKO even at -2. However, Celebi does kinda pitiful damage with Psychic because it has no way to boost its SpA meaning in most games I didn't find it to be all that spammable, at least not till late game where everything was drastically chipped. I think U-turn is necessary otherwise you are just fcked if you opponent goes hard Scizor, Muk etc which can be annoying as its dual stab doesn't cover a whole lot. However, U-turn was nice for gaining a lot of momentum and chipping away at Pokemon like Scizor or Hydra. It also has a decent amount of bulk for a pivot. I also think in the early / mid game you should pretty much only be pressing U-turn to keep gaining momentum especially if your opponent has their steel types or trappers still alive as it can't afford to risk spamming and being locked into its stab. In the final slot I used Healing Wish as it is really nice for giving something a second life especially the DD sweepers I was running alongside it. I tried Trick for like one game but in most instances, I'd rather not press it unless I'm playing against Stall in which case it could be fantastic for screwing over Blissey. So, as I mentioned it was kinda annoying being restricted to only its dual stab which makes it very prediction heavy as you have to take the 50 / 50 firing off your stab and losing momentum or pressing U-turn. This was mainly a bigger issue in low ladder as people like staying in with Hippowdon vs Celebi for w/e reason. But yeah, I actually really like this set and think its defo niche enough to work, especially on momentum heavy teams. Most of the replays involve its surprise factor or sweeping, I had a few good ones of it grabbing a lot of momentum but I forgot to save em >.>

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851904843 - Scarf Celebi clean up and Scizor kills Camerupt cos assumed choice locked

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851910964 - Celebi with HW would win the game, it being scarfed pressured a lil bit

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851951763 - Predicted the double into Roserade but also killed MBee as he didn't expect Scarf

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851993207 - Celebi HW Primarina to full to win. Could of killed Prima turn 1 but he stayed in

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851913178 - Celebi cleaning and I guess nabbing some momentum

So I intended to build around AV Scizor but I ended up using Scarf Celebi as well. So initially I was running Firium-Z Krook as a lure but I just swapped to E-Plate. Again, the idea was to bluff the scarf on Krook. Rotom-H again is a nice glue mon and hazard remover. Specs Primarina for nuking stuff and likes momentum from Scizor, Celebi and Rotom-H. Finally, DD Kommo-o as a wincon and Bisharp check. I played 36 games with this team and had a lot of success with it going 29 - 7 I think and was by far the most enjoyable version.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
I dunno what I EV'd it to live exactly, it was either something to do with Celebi or Latias HP Fire but yeah, I basically just ran the CB set and slapped on an Assault Vest. For this reason, there was no doubt in my mind that this set would ever be remotely bad and I wasn't proven wrong. Sure it doesn't hit as hard but in most cases it really didn't matter because once you press Pursuit vs Latias even if it didn't kill it dropped it to like 10% if your opponent tries switching. Even if they don't you eat an Elec-Z well and can usually kill it with two or Pursuit into BP. Anyway, besides it being really bulky which ofc is nice for trapping said threats, I think the thing I liked most was how well I could bluff being Banded into BP or Pursuit. And then clapping a Terrakion or Bisharp that try switching in. Like idk it loses out on some KOs which banded would otherwise do so, but in most cases I didn't really care about that. There is nothing else I can really say here, like it does the same thing banded does but has an easier job trapping Gengar, Latias and Celebi etc. It is defo a good set which imo isn't hard to fit onto a team, as any squad where you use CB Scizor you could easily slap an AV on if your squad looks vulnerable to Elec-Z Latias. The one downside of this set is probably the lack of recovery, but I never found it to be a huge issue. You essentially play it like CB, but you have some leniency with switching into said Special threats. And in games where BP is nice then you conserve it regardless of health just like you would with the Banded set. Either way I still had Healing Wish from Celebi if absolutely needed. I don't have many replays, but Scizor mainly did Scizor things most games. Tbh I think I actually love this set more than Choice Band, for the above reasons.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-851918594 - Scizor trapping Lati for good dmg then killing Bisharp and getting dmg off on Maero

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-852467648 - Scizor eating HP Fire from Mega Sceptile, otherwise would have been a really tough game
TL DR;

- Didn't have too much success with this set. In most cases I'd rather just run CM sets, but it was nice for putting Zera and CM Lati on a timer to better handle them. I can't say the set is bad as I kinda gave up on it pretty early on but I think it has potential. Edit: So I tested it a bit more and while I still think it's worse than the other sets it could run it isn't awful. It can catch a lot of people off guard and allow you to stall them out with Toxic ticking. Whirlpool tech Moute passed me is kinda fun also. But it is still the worse set for me this week imo.

- Scarf Celebi is actually pretty good for nabbing momentum. It is very unexpected so picks up a lot of free kills vs like MegaBee. You kinda have to press U-turn for most of the game or Leaf Storm if they have no trapper. Psychic isn't very spammable as its weak without a boost. Healing Wish is always nice for helping a sweeper in the back. I like to run it alongside common scarfers like Krook and Hydra for effective lures.

- AV Scizor basically does what CB Scizor does, forfeits hitting harder and picking up certain OHKOs to better trap Gengar, Latias and Celebi. It can also bluff CB and pick up another kill vs something expecting you to be locked. It's Scizor doing Scizor things, it's a good set and I personally pref it over Choice Band tbh.

Really enjoyed using Scarf Celebi and AV Scizor, and honestly there is very little discrepancy between which one I liked most. I just think AV Scizor is more consistent and easier to pull off. I hope ya enjoyed reading another on of my long posts and I look forward to maybe testing a set or two next week ^_^

Last edited:
fuck i got outsped
Thought I'd play more this week but I didn't exactly appreciate any of the sets this week, so I only played 67 games total before making this post, with both AV Zor and Scarf Celebi since they were on the same team.

rating.PNG
Anyway let's get started.

Lost in Green (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Smash Up (Terrakion) @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Crimson Fighter (Scizor) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

One Dream (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Taunt

One Reality (Rotom-Heat) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 24 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Deadly Temptation (Volcanion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
Nothing too incredible, scarf Celebi was the one I built around, Terrakion appreciates Celebi dealing with bulky waters and luring dark-types. I went for DD Terrakion 'cause I had trouble dealing with more offensive teams, and the speed boost helped that a lot. Scizor brings more pivoting and deals with Psychic-types for Terrakion. Kommo-o provides a secondary Bisharp check, a Zeraora check, rocks, and a way to pressure fat teams. Rotom provides defog and checks the flying spammers that really gave me trouble (it was Gligar first, but being 6-0'd by Moltres was pretty anoying). Volcanion brings a secondary check to Scizor and a check to broken mon Primarina while providing more immediate power to the team. I went for focus blast as my coverage of choice 'cause there really isn't much that Earth Power hits that Focus Blast doesn't, and FB gave me a way to hit Hydra hard on the switch, which is very welcome considering my pretty poor MU against it.

Scarf Celebi
It was ... not complete garbage, but not great either. The big thing it has going for it is a surprise factor, that lets it get rid of 'mons that wouldn't fear Celebi in normal circumstances, such as Gengar, Beedrill-Mega, Crobat, a set-up Infernape/Terrakion, Starmie ... Another nice thing it has going for it is an access to both U-turn and Healing Wish allowing Celebi to support its teammates pretty well, whether it's by grabbing momentum or giving a cleaner a second chance to clean. Finally, Celebi has quite a lot of coverage moves it can choose from to hit pretty much everything it wants, like Dazzling Gleam to hit the dragons, Earth Power to hit the steels, HP Fire to nail Scizor or Trick to cripple a wall. Also base 100 speed is pretty good, as it allows you to outspeed +1 Haxorus, +1 Adamant Sharpedo and 2 common scarfers in Krookodile and Hydreigon.
But it has quite a lot of problems with it. Most obvious one is being a choiced set on a Pursuit-weak mon in a Pursuit-heavy metagame, meaning that you have to be extremely careful when a Krook/Muk/Bisharp/Scizor pops up, and you often end up clicking nothing but U-Turn for most of the game. Celebi also hits like a wet noodle with Psychic, meaning that it struggles to even get 2HKOs in the meta, and Leaf Storm lowering your SpA is a pain. Finally, it only has 4 moves to pick, meaning it will always lose to something or will fail to revenge kill some 'mons.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-852723404 - Celebi gets the kill on n°1 threat Nidoking and heals Scizor late-game to let it clean
and that pretty much sums up everything Celebi did in when I used it.

AV Scizor
I didn't like it either tbh. It felt like a weird mix of CB and Bulky SD Zor, that took a bit of each's strengths but also took most of the downsides with it. Sure, it takes special hits ridiculously well (most resisted hits deal 20% at max, and most neutral hits rarely go beyond 40%, unless it's Specs Primarina ofc), but the lack of recovery makes it extremely susceptible to being overwhelmed over the course of a fight, or being worn down by hazards. It also lacks the damage output of CB Scizor for obvious reasons (you know ... not having a CB) meaning that it struggles to lure a CB set unless you only use Scizor to trap something while lacking the SD set's ability to boost its attack, and it always felt like that gray area where it's supposed to do a ton of stuff but does none of them that well, and ends up being underwhelming.
Definitely a weird set to me, and not one I appreciate. But if you want some good counterplay to Celebi, Latias and Starmie then it can do that pretty well, and not having to roost every time you come in on an attack is pretty handy to grab the momentum back with Scizor.
don't have any replay where AV zor did something its other sets couldn't do, lol
tl;dr
- Scarf Celebi works to lure a few mons, and is a fast boi overall. Also U-turn and Healing Wish support is nice.
- AV Zor works to sponge special hits and trap/handle some specific targets that CB Zor can't (Starmie, Z-move Latias/Celebi, Gengar), but its lack of recovery make it not that good to take hits on drawn-out battles, especially if hazards are up.

Last edited:
Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Spikes

Serebii (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Trick

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Psychic

Missile Launcher (Blastoise-Mega) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dragon Pulse

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
This is the scarf celebi squad I used. Its just a basic spikestack that worked for me. I found scarf celebi to be a good revenge killer but was too weak to do much else. I ran a 3 attacks + trick set for bulkier teams. It was cool to outspeed a weakened mon and revenge it. Thats kinda all it could do without boosting.

AV Scizor (Scizor) @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Stealth Rock

Florges-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Wish

Rotom-Heat @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
This is my AV Scizor squad. I was kinda disappointed with the special hits it could take. It worked for its purpose of trapping dragons. It didn't have the longevity of SD Roost sets so hazards really hurt it especially in longer games and against bulkier teams. It does have a niche over other pursuiters because bluffing band is really fun. So thats it hope to participate next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)