ORAS UU UU Bulky Team topped off at 1300

Hey everybody! I haven't really played competitive Pokemon since back in the DPP days however after watching a few battles and making this team I think I found a great tier I can get back into! This team focuses on bulky pokemon that force switches, spread toxic and whittle away at the opponents team until one of my pokemon can clean up. I have had some success but have not been able to get higher than the 1300 mark on the ladder. I have reached this point on three separate accounts before crashing and burning so I thought Id turn for some help to clean the team up a bit.

So heres the team:

Beedrill (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab

Mega Beedrill is a champ and definitely one of the MVPs of the team. He is usually my lead causing a lot of damage to my opponents lead and getting a U-turn off to give me momentum quickly. I use him to absorb predicted toxics that are aimed at some of the more bullky members of the team. Protect is there to guarentee a mega evolution and is great for scouting.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

My main defensive wall. This was originally a Donphan which I liked because of Spin, however I needed a little more protection against the many fighting types that can cause a lot of damage in this tier. I try to send him in early to get Rocks up which are very important for a team that causes a lot of switches. My one concern is Knock off. He is still fairly bulky when it is gone but it definitely does not help especially because I have P2 as well.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Toxic

This thing is a TANK. I used it to great success in DPP and it still is great but even better now with Eviolite. He can absorb a lot of hits, make some key switch ins because of Trace, and dish out toxics like it is no ones business. I really like him and many people get frustrated when battling against him.

Trevenant (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Another annoyer on the team. Trevenant seems to either be a star or just fodder in battles. I love the combo of subseed +harvest. He is also useful as a spin blocker. Not as much bulk as I would like but I dont know if there is a good alternative.

Slowking (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam

Specially defensive wall that can hit hard back. Assault Vest allows it to tank a number of hits from the special side. Regenerator is a great form of recovery and can allow me to take that extra hit without sacrificing my pokemon. I send him in against most special defensive threats however the special defensive duo of Trev and Slowking falls short against pokemon like M-Blastoise who can hit hard with Dark Pulse.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Another bulky annoyer. Provides wish support for the team as well as being my other spreader of status. Works great at stalling people out with its huge bulk while they slowly die of toxic or have to switch into something else, allowing me to wish pass to someone else that needs it.

Please let me know what you think! Im really liking this team so far but it definitely can be improved. Thanks!

Hey, really cool team you have there!

I'm going to rate this team under the premise that you are trying to clean up with Beedrill, so I won't change anything to it.
One of the things that I've noticed with this team is that it is particularly weak to Cloyster. A Cloyster as a lead can either be Shell Smash or a hazard setter, and with its high defense stat, Beedrill can't do much to it with U-Turn, and if you decide to Protect it could set up Spikes on you.
With one boost, Cloyster can basically sweep your whole team.
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 290-345 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (With some entry hazards it'll be an OHKO)
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 200 HP / 252 Def Vaporeon: 260-310 (57.6 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Scald does at most 42% to cloyster, so with some prior damage you'll be in some trouble)
Your Porygon2 does tank Cloyster quite well, but it still cannot take sustained hits from threats like Mienshao and the like.

What I would recommend is switching your Vaporeon to Alomomola. Alomomola can basically run the same set as Vaporeon, but with higher HP you have better wish passes, allowing for Beedrill-M to continue its sweeping work. Also, while Vaporeon does stop Crocune cold in its tracks, you already have Trevenent for that.

Another is that scarfed Mienshao absolutely runs all over this team. With some prediction from your enemy, it can U-Turn out of Slowking, hit most of the team with HJK, and destroy Porygon2 with knock off, as without eviolite it is almost useless. This is why I recommend changing your Slowking to Cresselia. Cresselia is a little more bulky than Slowking on the physical side, and has a little more usefulness with some niche moves like Lunar Dance, and also being able to beat out Porygon2 with Toxic.

I'm not super experienced, but I have been playing this tier for a while. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Good luck on your future battles!

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Beedrill really needs hazard control to succeed that way it doesnt die to every priority move ever (like Doublade's Sneak for example)

You could run Defog > Knock Off on Gligar

You look like you have a lot of trouble breaking Suicune right now, since it just PP stalls Vaporeon and Trevenant is garbage, I really recommend Shaymin > Trevenant so you have an easier time breaking Suicune as well as checking Heliolisk which is another threat to your team.

I may give you a better, fuller rate later but thats what stuck out to me immediatley with the limited time I have atm

Hey Simon, cool team you got. Just have a few things to say that will improve your team:
  • With the bulky nature of your team, I think that you should have Heal Bell over Toxic on Vaporeon so that you don't have to worry about status. It'll keep your mons around longer and you already have toxic on P2 so you still have another way of wearing down your opponents.
  • A good Slowking set in conjunction with cleric support that Vaporeon privdes is Defensive CM Slowking. CM Slowking gives your team a really reliable Crocune check as well as a good win condition, something your team lacks at the moment. The set would look like: CM, Scald, Psyshock, Slack off. Now, if you decide to use this set, you need to make your Vaporeon more specially defensive. So that you can handle the Nidos and Hydreigon more reliably.
  • Gonna support Dark's suggestion of Defog on Gligar. Hazard stacking is getting more popular now and it really does a number to your team, especially Tspikes if Beedrill goes down.
  • Your team looks really weak to Snorlax and Reuniclus atm, you could consider running Taunt Jellicent over Slowking which beats them both, but then you miss out on a win condition. If you run Jelly I don't really see the need for Trevenant so then you can run Shaymin like Dark suggested or Whimsicott to have something to more reliably beat dragons which do a number to your team.
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

OR

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Hope I helped! Good luck using the team in the future

Your team is extremely weak to Knock Off.
Your entire defensive core gets smashed by it.
Mega Absol is pretty common in this metagame, and once Vaporeon falls, you get swept.
Gligar can take some hits, but losing its Eviolite makes you vulnerable to Mega Absol's common partner in crime, Nidoking.
To counteract this, I would like to recommend a Chesnaught over Gligar or Porygon2.
I would replace Gligar and use the following set:
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Substitute / Synthesis / Spikes
- Leech Seed

By the way, Trevenant is horrible in this metagame.
I would replace it with something like Mismagius or Chandelure.
If opting to use Chandelure, run this:

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

This makes you weak to Stealth Rock, however.

Mismagius should be used with a specially defensive set, using Pain Split, Heal Bell, Shadow Ball, and Will- O - Wisp.
This would give Vaporeon a free moveslot, as you don't need two Heal Bellers.

My final suggestion is using a Rapid Spinner.
You can use Tentacruel over Slowking or Porygon2.
This makes you a bit weaker to Psychic, however.
You can also simply run Defog Gligar.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)