Doublade @ Eviolite
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Att / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

This Bulky Offense core plays off each other's weaknesses to open opportunities to sweep. As a CM sweeper, Florges has a big problem with dealing with Reuniclus and Snorlax. Doublade helps pressure these Pokemon out. Best when used on Semi-Stall or Bulky Offense. Very useful core with Spikes Stacking.

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
(M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse/Vacuum Wave

(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Where's the love for Nasty Plot Lucario? It wallbreaks VERY efficiently against UU's premier specially defensive tanks, but can find it hard to set up at times. The first three moves of the set are self explanatory, and the last move comes down to whatever fits well with the team. If running a Timid Nature, using Dark Pulse is recommended, while Vacuum Wave fits better with a Modest Nature. Lucario is best saved for the midgame wallbreaking and endgame sweeping, and depending on the matchup and set you can decide between the two. Fire, Fighting, and Ground moves plague Lucario, and bulky Psychic types also give it trouble, especially if I'm running Vacuum Wave. This is where Hydreigon and Slowking come into the picture. Hydreigon provides me with further offensive pressure as well as U-turn support so I can bring Lucario in safely. It also checks Chandelure, which heavily impedes Lucario's impact on the game. CM Slowking deals pretty well with the bulky water types who Lucario can't KO safely and also provides me with a Nido check. It also gives me another win condition/wallbreaker, which is always nice. In the best case scenario, the opponent tries to deal heavy damage to Slowking with a Knock off. I would then switch out to Lucario and receive a Justified boost, which would scare my opponent out. On the switch, I can Nasty Plot up for free or hit the incoming mon with a STAB move. Of course, there are better options for Lucario's ability like Steadfast and Inner Focus, but Lucario isn't eating up any moves that cause flinching.
This core appreciates hazards, as Lucario can pick up some crucial 2hkos and Ohkos with just rocks up.

Here are some calcs for Nasty Plot Lucario:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Florges: 424-502 (117.7 - 139.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 356-421 (92.9 - 109.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 294-347 (88 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 312-369 (83.4 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 277-328 (77.3 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 214-253 (55.8 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 330-390 (74.3 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 473-559 (148.2 - 175.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Full counter to Swords Dance set gets bopped)

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Volt Switch

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Very nice offensive core I used to decent ladder success. Type wise, Ampharos eats any grass or electric moves that threaten Gatr, and Gatr resists Ice. But the reason to use this core is not for its defensive capabilities, but its offensive. HP Poison Ampharos lures in Whimsicott and OHKOs it, allowing Gatr to click DD without fear and sweep. Ampharos volt switches out into Gatr while luring in special walls like Blissey, Florges, defensive Roserade (make sure you outspeed it), Snorlax etc. Gatr then does what it always does and pressures the hell out of whatever special wall it is in. Furthermore, Gatr threatens most volt switch blockers, so eliminating them allows for free volt switching. Ampharos also handles the physically fat grasses that wall Gatr. Threats to this core offensively include faster special dragons such as Salamence, Hydreigon, Kyurem, and Sceptile, scarfers like Mienshao and MoxieMence (again), and then there are other stuff like Mega Sharpedo (which actually walls Gatr), Beedrill, Abomasnow, and others I'm forgetting. However, a lot of these can't handle Gatr if you get a DD up.

Defensively, Umbreon and P2 are annoying, so a fighting type is a good partner.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I find myself using this core a decent amount as it can handle most UU threats and still provide some offensive presence. It has great synergy and is easy to plug into most balance teams because the good offensive mons in the tier will be able to cover some of the problems the core has.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roar / Protect
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch / Roar / Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 68 Def / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
- Roost

LO Helio is a little shit and so is focus blast reun, but otherwise there isn't really one mon that will completely destroy you if you're switching properly.

bumpp

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Aromatherapy / Return

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

pretty straightforward offensive core that takes advantage of a lot of common teams atm; chand is able to check most of puff's boosted answers, overloadin steels and doin a decent chunk to other things bulky enough to take a +6 prough, while slurpuff is able to pressure the dark-types that threaten chand, most notably hydrei, seeing as how it can set up on the choice variants without much trouble. this is pretty big vs offensive builds for fairly obvious reasons, seeing as how they rely on stuff like doublade and forre to deal with puff. aroma is pretty solid should u come across some twave p2 shenanigans or just get unlucky versus a scald, but return is also pretty neat way to keep crobat honest here. memento is probably my favorite part of the core as it basically guarantees a puff set up. if you're lookin for stuff to pair this up with, voltturn is usually the most consistent way to go, seeing as how offensive mons like bee and sr cobal can keep up a lot of offensive momentum and generally whittle down stuff for puff. having a bit of hazard control is also appreciated here, seeing as how keeping both mons at a good amount of health is beneficial for any offensive team focused around them. offensive grasses are pretty good here as well, since shaymin, tangrowth, and rose to a lesser extent are all good to take advantage of bulky waters n the less relevant rhyp, both of which are pretty annoying for this core to face.

bumpp

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Aromatherapy / Return

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

pretty straightforward offensive core that takes advantage of a lot of common teams atm; chand is able to check most of puff's boosted answers, overloadin steels and doin a decent chunk to other things bulky enough to take a +6 prough, while slurpuff is able to pressure the dark-types that threaten chand, most notably hydrei, seeing as how it can set up on the choice variants without much trouble. this is pretty big vs offensive builds for fairly obvious reasons, seeing as how they rely on stuff like doublade and forre to deal with puff. aroma is pretty solid should u come across some twave p2 shenanigans or just get unlucky versus a scald, but return is also pretty neat way to keep crobat honest here. memento is probably my favorite part of the core as it basically guarantees a puff set up. if you're lookin for stuff to pair this up with, voltturn is usually the most consistent way to go, seeing as how offensive mons like bee and sr cobal can keep up a lot of offensive momentum and generally whittle down stuff for puff. having a bit of hazard control is also appreciated here, seeing as how keeping both mons at a good amount of health is beneficial for any offensive team focused around them. offensive grasses are pretty good here as well, since shaymin, tangrowth, and rose to a lesser extent are all good to take advantage of bulky waters n the less relevant rhyp, both of which are pretty annoying for this core to face.
Sacri' has played out this core to a great extent. He has probably played meru's volt turn more than anyone else. If anyone can testify to how great this core is, he can.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Substitute / Stealth Rock

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Pursuit / Stealth Rock

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Refresh

I've submitted Krookodile as a partner for Cobalion in the matchmaking thread a while ago and claimed that i've used them a lot together but after checking my teams i've noticed that it was either Gligar + Cobalion or Krookodile + Lucario so i decided to make a new team using these two. Salamence rounds up the core perfectly as it can use numerous fighting, water and fire types that other two fears as set up bait. I was originally using dread plate but after reading dodmen's post figured lo iron tail would be more beneficial because Salamence appreciates all the targets iron tail hits (Mega Aerodactyl, Florges, Whimsicott, Mamoswine and Mega Abomasnow) to be removed. I find this mence set pretty underrated and think it should be a force to reckon with. Evs designed to outpace Entei while keeping the bulk as high as possible.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell / Baton Pass
- Foul Play

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

Literally any fattish mence set will do this is just one of the ones I use​

Been using this forever now and Cactrune told me to post it a few months ago and hey, I finally got round to it! I haven't played UU in a while but the chances are its still great.

These two together cover almost every relevant physical threat in the tier besides Slurpuff. Phys def Umbreon is still super super super underrated and deals with Feraligatr, Mamoswine, M-Aero, Krookodile, Salamence, M-Abomasnow, M-Swamp and such- ie all the things that trouble FatMence. In return fatmence gobbles up hits from fighting types like Hera and also deals with Entei. Furthermore, thanks to its fantastic natural bulk, even with a phys def spread umbreon can still deal with the nidos, scarf dreigon (and life orb if it doesn't switch in on draco), non-nasty plot azelf and such, easing up the pressure on any special walls/pivots that may be later added.

An important thing with this core is that they both provide a lot of utility along with walling stuff- Umbreon provides cleric support which is huge over its main competitor here, pory2, and Mence provides defog which can be difficult to fit into teams if you don't do so early on in the building process.

In terms of partners, a fat phys def steel type covers up almost every weakness on the physical side, and the tier has lots to choose from. On a more balanced team it covers enough ground physically to be left there, just have an offensive slurpuff check because mence is setup bait.​

Last edited:

Weezing + Hydreigon

The Weezing and Hydreigon core is highly effective in our current meta. While Weezing seems to be unheard of by most players, its support options along with it's handy resistances tends to play a great role in UU. Coupled with the appropriate partners, Weezing can wreck havoc on your average team. One of these appropriate partners is Hydreigon. Hydreigon not only takes zero damage from Weezing's only weakness, but it also guards Weezing from some powerful special attackers such as Chandelure and Rotom-H. Weezing in return happily takes on fighting types that would want to beat down on Hydreigon. Below are the sets I have been using.
@

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
Will-O-Wisp

Toxic Spikes

Clear Smog

Flamethrower

@

Timid Nature
Draco Meteor

Dark Pulse

Taunt

Roost

These sets benefit one another within the core. Lately I've noticed a bulkier meta so I chose Hydreigon to be a stall breaker and Weezing to have clear smog as a stab. It works wonderfully. With all the status Weezing is throwing around and Hydreigon taunting the pokemon that want to recover and heal bell, the opponent gets widdled down to the point of fainting. I will now list what each of these mons does for each other so it can be clear.
Weezing
  • Provides Fighting Resist
  • Provides Bug Resist
  • Provides Fairy Resist
  • Toxic Spikes Support
  • No Fear of Slurpuff
  • Wil-o-wisp damage
All these things are very important to Hydreigon. The first three are quite simple. Beedrill, Heracross, and Cobalion are not as threatening to Hydregion. Weezing also provides a great fairy resist even though it's not specially bulky. This poison type takes 24% from a florges moonblast and can set up T-spikes. T-spikes are very helpful to stall breaker Hydreigon. Things like Porygon2 and Whimsicott rack up damage and eventually can't take hits from Hydreigon anymore. Weezing relinqueshes any fear of Slurpuff. While Hydreigon does have the Taunt, your opponent might predict that and kill off Hydreigon without belly drumming. Weezing is safe switch. Clear Smog also means you do not have to rely on Wilo hitting. Wil-o-wisp is a must. It wears down the opponent and ensures more switches for Weezing. Below is a picture of Weezing setting up T-spikes for the Hydreigon P2 match up.

Hydreigon
  • Provides Psychic Immunity
  • Provides Fire Resist
  • Taunts Healers
  • Power
A psychic immunity is great making your opponent second guess going for the psychic move fearing the switch. It comes in handy a lot with Weezing. Now the fire resist is very important to Weezing because its most powerful move and its Wil-o-wisp make Weezing an easy switch for the opposing fire type. Fire type moves are mainly special so even though Weezing does not take super effective damage from them, it still does not want to take the damage. Taunt comes in very handy on Hydreigon. It prevents the heal and the status removal. Lastly Hydreigon provides some power to the core. Weezing on its own is pretty underwhelming. Hydreigon has massive power with the life orb and its powerful stabs.

Effective Team Mates:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Punch

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

FWG core that I've had a lot of fun using recently. SD Mega Sceptile is a pretty underrated threat; its Attack stat isn't too shabby and can do a lot of damage after a boost. However, it's stopped cold by certain physically defensive walls like Florges, Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Porygon2, and Umbreon, and revenge killed by priority users like Mega Abomasnow, Entei, and Mamo. One thing in common with all of these guys? They absolutely hate Toxic Spikes, which is where Tentacruel comes in. It uses the Fairies and Umbreon as setup bait, while Porygon2 eats a Knock Off which allows Scep to break through it later. Rotom-H completes the core by being an amazing check to the aforementioned priority users, and also easily counters Doublade, Forretress, and Flying-types like Crobat, which are other headaches for Scep. Tentacruel's access to spin is another key to the core's success as it allows Rotom-H to switch in continuously throughout the match, and also prevents Scep from being worn down too quickly. The defensive synergy is also there, as is the case with any FWG core.

Reuniclus and Cress don't care about Toxic Spikes and can eat a boosted Leaf Blade, so a reliable way to take them out is recommended. I've been running CB Krook alongside this core to beat up the Psychics, lure in and weaken Fairies and Forry, and also Pursuit Doublade in order to pave the way for Sceptile to sweep later.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Punch

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

FWG core that I've had a lot of fun using recently. SD Mega Sceptile is a pretty underrated threat; its Attack stat isn't too shabby and can do a lot of damage after a boost. However, it's stopped cold by certain physically defensive walls like Florges, Aromatisse, Whimsicott, Porygon2, and Umbreon, and revenge killed by priority users like Mega Abomasnow, Entei, and Mamo. One thing in common with all of these guys? They absolutely hate Toxic Spikes, which is where Tentacruel comes in. It uses the Fairies and Umbreon as setup bait, while Porygon2 eats a Knock Off which allows Scep to break through it later. Rotom-H completes the core by being an amazing check to the aforementioned priority users, and also easily counters Doublade, Forretress, and Flying-types like Crobat, which are other headaches for Scep. Tentacruel's access to spin is another key to the core's success as it allows Rotom-H to switch in continuously throughout the match, and also prevents Scep from being worn down too quickly. The defensive synergy is also there, as is the case with any FWG core.

Reuniclus and Cress don't care about Toxic Spikes and can eat a boosted Leaf Blade, so a reliable way to take them out is recommended. I've been running CB Krook alongside this core to beat up the Psychics, lure in and weaken Fairies and Forry, and also Pursuit Doublade in order to pave the way for Sceptile to sweep later.
Oh yo I've actually used this core before and I absolutely loved it. The one thing I don't think you mentioned though is that you need a way to wear down or remove scarf hydreigon as it absolutely screws sceptile, and doesn't care at all about tspikes. I ran slurpuff with a SR user (I kind of jumped around on who I used) to force it out and wear it down, and to give me a Second sweeper if sceptile went down. Also, have you considered running EQ over dragon claw on sceptile? It sacrifices your ability to hit salamence for a way to 2shot doublade, which if you choose to run slurpuff is super nice.

Either way, great core!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh yo I've actually used this core before and I absolutely loved it. The one thing I don't think you mentioned though is that you need a way to wear down or remove scarf hydreigon as it absolutely screws sceptile, and doesn't care at all about tspikes. I ran slurpuff with a SR user (I kind of jumped around on who I used) to force it out and wear it down, and to give me a Second sweeper if sceptile went down. Also, have you considered running EQ over dragon claw on sceptile? It sacrifices your ability to hit salamence for a way to 2shot doublade, which if you choose to run slurpuff is super nice.

Either way, great core!
Yeah it's pretty solid ^.^ Hydrei is a pain but I use CM Florges on the same team, so Scarf Hydrei pretty much means a free boost haha. It also tends to switch into Rotom-H a lot, so if I land a WoW on it it gets worn down pretty quickly.

Earthquake is really interesting for beating Doublade as you said, but with CB Krookodile it's going to be severely weakened by Pursuit anyway. It still hits Fire-types and stuff like Tentacruel, Empoleon, Nidoqueen, and Cobalion harder than the other moves so it's worth considering, but for me Dragon Claw + Drain Punch usually gets the job done. Btw if I was using EQ I would forgo Punch for it rather than Claw; I think the second STAB is much more valuable for its ability to hit Crobat, Mandibuzz, Rotom-H, Rotom-C, Shaymin etc.

+
Problems (Chandelure) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Liger 0 (Cobalion) @
Leftovers​
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

So I'm suprised this core hasn't been posted yet because it is bread and butter for a lot of balance/bulky offense cores. They both have really nice synergy with each other and can put pressure on the opposition through sub set up. The main allure of this core is to punish choiced attackers. Both Mienshao and Entei are forced into a 50/50 and even if they win the 50/50, either chandelure or Coballion gets free set up. This core goes well with Tspikes support from something like Tentacruel as sub+tspikes is nice. Alternatively, one could opt for Stealth Rocks on Coballion instead of Substitute or Energy ball over calm mind on Chandelure. That is another big plus, this core is easily customizable with chandelure running a lot of sets including scarf or specs, and Coballion having a lot of options for a 4th move.

Krookodile + Empoleon + Tangrowth + Slowking

Hey guys I have a quadruple core that has proven very effective against a lot of Under Used teams. These four pokemon can be an effective team on their own as they counter and trap a majority of UU threats. The best part about this core is that you can fit pretty much any pokemon in the remaining two spots. Only a few mega pokemon can break through all four. Hazards and hazard control are all accounted for. The only thing you have to worry about is some more offensive pressure. Since this is more of a bulky core, your remaining two pokemon should be wall breakers or fast sweepers. The sets I use are down below!​
@

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Pursuit

Knock Off

Earthquake

Stealth Rock

@

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
Sleep Powder

Knock Off

Giga Drain

Hidden Power

@

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
Calm Mind

Scald

Psyshock

Slack Off

@

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
Scald

Ice Beam

Defog

Roar

All of these sets are standard with a little twist on Tangrowth. They are standard because they are effective and their individual role benefits the entire core. We have a lot of status going on which is great for a bulky core. Regenerator allows my pokemon to switch in and switch out pretty easily. This means I don't have to predict a lot which makes the core friendly to anyone that wants to use it. It does not matter what your skill level is. This core will work for you.

Krookodile

Krookodile's ability to trap and kill pokemon that threaten the core is absolutely amazing and necessary. Mons like Chandelure and Hoopa no longer pose a great threat. Krookodile can also be a Mega Beedrill answer. If I get the intimidate off and trap with Pursuit then Beedrill is no more. Besides pursuit, Krookodile provides hazard and intimidate support. It's offensive pressure greatly benefits my core. Having a powerful knock off and a stab earthquake means that Krook can clean up pesky psychic and electric types. Krookodile's immunity to electric moves is fantastic. Since the only thing that resists electric is my physically defensive Tangrowth, the immunity that Krook provides seems like an necessity.

Tangrowth

Tangrowth is the core's main physical wall. It makes a great Knock off switch in. Feraligatr is no longer an issue with this big pile of grass around. Other threats like Mega Sharpedo and Krookodile are taken care of. Tangrowth biggest help to the core is Sleep Powder. Sleep Powder gives the core free turns to set up Calm Mind, get rocks off, or defog them away. Hidden power ice helps out with the grass and dragon types that want to switch into a grass type move. You can run HP fire instead of ice and hit Mega Abomasnnow and Cobalion, but I have regretted putting on HP fire every time I've had it. Even though I have knock off on Krook, it is still very good on Tangrowth. Many things that switch into Tangrowth do no appreciate losing their items.

Slowking

Slowking is the other half of my defensive regenerator core. This thing is a 100% switch into Entei. Slowking takes the damage and fires off a scald. The burn is actually not too bad. It ensures that I can't get toxiced if I want to set up and sweep later. The calm mind is very important to this core since special attackers like Nidoqueen and Infernape like to ruin my day. Speaking of Infernape, Slowking is a great switch into fighting type pokemon. Cobalion, Lucario, and Infernape are all pretty safe to switch into. Other offensive threats like Mega Aero don't like Slowking in the slightest. Slowking's ability to set up gives me something to kill Florges with.

Empoleon

Empoleon is the glue to it all. With ice beam in Emps arsenal, it can switch into Hydreigon pretty safely and fire off good damage. Hydreigon tends to ruin this core so Empoleon is very important. You have got to be careful of Life Orb super power. After Hydreigon dracos the empoleon, it will either stay in and fire off the super power, or it will switch out. Doubling to Slowking is a safe option. Empoleon as a defogger is great. It can switch into fairy and flying types to fire off a defog. Roar is the most important move with this empoleon. Snorlax and Slowking can't set up. It also prevents wish healing.

Great members include:
  • Things that can take hits from Mega Beedrill
  • Things that Wall Mega Blastoise and Glavantula
  • Fighting Types
  • Faster Sweepers
The best pokemon to use along with the core:

Last edited:

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Drill Run

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

K so balanced/bulky offense core that deals with pretty much the entire meta in 3 pokemon. Essentially everything that uses florg as a free switch in are checked by escav or hydrei letting you throw up a wish on the switch and send in one of the two for free. Annoyances to this core are fire move nidos (reg is dealt with by escav generally) infernape, entei, mix mence, heavy slam machamp, and cobalion to an extent. Pursuit is used to trap beedril but knock is also a good option, you can also run calm on florg to deal with azelf better.

Hey everyone Cash here bringing you this offensive core I've recently been using. Cobalion + SD Zoroark.

I've recently been seeing some players using some Shed + Zoroark teams and stuff like that but I wanted to put Zoroark on a team that it could actually benefit and be beneficial to the other members. So here are the sets -

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

------------------------------------------

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Frustration/Low Kick

So basically Zoroark beats the counters of Cobalion. People send in Slowking, Reuniclus, Doublade, Cress ect. The best part it no one expects SD Zoroark so everyone just stays in after you SD. Click Knock Off and bop, no more Cobalion resists. Now later in the game when Cobalion is actually setting up an SD its counters are gone.

The partners that I suggest for this core are volt/turners because you kind of need the momentum to punch holes in fatter teams. I really like Mega-Bee with this core as another strong physical threat to wittle walls down. These two also share a fighting weakness so having a fighting resist is going to be a good idea. Hazard control is also a must in my opinion, especially because Cobalion and Zoroark take different stealth rock damage which would ruin the illusion.

I've been having a lot of fun and success with this core so far. I think I've only lost maybe 2 games and I actually managed to beat a few people in the high 1500s/Low 1600s. I really suggest trying it out, Zoroark is honestly really underestimated and can just body players who arnt ready for it.

Don't play UU very much, but I'll give this a try! I honestly have no idea how to label this core.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Subsitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast

This set has breaking stall in mind, while easily fitting into an offensive team. The two not only has almost perfect type synergy, but dismantles stall at the same time. Hydreigon can hit very hard with it's dual STABs and Life Orb, while simultaneously keeping stall at bay with Taunt. Roost keeps it healthy throughout the game so that it can outlast long stall battles. Chandelure provides Hydreigon with resistances to Fairy, Bug, and Ice moves and an immunity to Fighting moves. In return, Hydreigon takes Dark, Ghost, Water, and Ground moves. Chandelure acts as a sweeper in this core, setting up a Substitute that stall won't be able to break through with status, and can set up Calm Minds until a sweep is immenent.

This set doesn't deal with offensive teams very well, and also struggles against the Fairy- and Dark-types in the tier. A great Pokemon that can deal with these are Toxicroak. Toxicroak's dual STABs can help deal with these Pokemon, while Sucker Punch outpaces high speed threats often found on offensive teams. In addition, Toxicroak also synergizes well with the core due to it's typing. Another Pokemon that works well with the core is Forretress. Forretress's Gyro Ball can deal a nice chunk of damage to Fairy-types. It can also lay down Toxic Spikes, Spikes and/or Stealth Rock to chip down stall teams even furthur. It synergizes with the core with no issues as well.

Hope you have fun using the core! :)

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
I think a great core is Snorlax and Gligar, as a defensive core.

Snorlax: Max special defense and HP with leftovers Ability: Thick Fat (Or you could do a little bit more mixed defenses)
Rest
Sleep Talk
Body Slam
Whirlwind/curse/(Other attacking move)

Gligar: Max Defense and HP with Eviolite. Ability: Immunity (Or you could run mixed defenses)
U-turn
Earthquake
Roost/Toxic
Stealth Rock

This is a great core, and they have great synergy. Snorlax is weak to fighting and physical moves, and Gligar can tank those very well, while Gligar is weak to special moves and ICE, snorlax can tank that and has thick fat for extra protection. Gligar runs stealth rocks and Snorlax can spam whirlwind to rack up damage, while tanking hits in the process. Gligar also has U-turn, to switch out of Special threats.

This is a great defensive core to teambuild off of and I hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
Here's a couple of cores!

AV Goodra + Forretress

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb/Muddy Water
- Dragon Tail

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

This core is a balance core. It has great type synergy together, and also stacks hazard that Goodra can abuse to rack up damage.

I started with Assault Vest Goodra, which has solid coverage and uses Dragon Tail to phaze opposing Pokemon out. Normally Sludge Bomb is a mandatory slot due to the coverage it grants against Florges, and Muddy Water would be a slash in the fourth slot. However, since Dragon Tail is such a large part of how this core functions, I decided to put it into the 3rd slot since Forretress can Gyro Ball Florges.

Forretress covers Goodra's weaknesses of Dragon, Ice, and Fairy very well, and has a massive amount of Defense to compliment Goodra's Special Defense. Forretress can Rapid Spin to prevent unnecessary damage, as Goodra has no recovery whatsoever. Forretress also stacks hazards for Goodra to abuse. Normally Forretress would prioritize Stealth Rock as a hazard due to it's usefulness, but Spikes on the whole deals a larger amount of damage to Pokemon neutrally anyways, so it's slashed first. Volt Switch is usefully to pivot out into other Pokemon without having to predict much. Finally, Gyro Ball covers Florges for Goodra.

The core struggles against other defensive teams who like to throw status around, and Goodra has no recovery, so a cleric like Florges or Blissey would be very useful to the core. Aside from that, this core fits very snugly in bulky offense teams.

SubPass Mienshao + Double Dance Porygon-Z

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off

This is an offensive core that is designed to both break defensive walls and set up for a Porygon-Z sweep.

Here Porgon-Z is using it's standard Double Dance set (with Thunderbolt, granted, but Mienshao takes out the stuff that Dark Pulse would've. Thunderbolt also makes sure the bulky waters don't block the sweep). Mienshao can pass Substitutes to Porygon-Z, which allows it to either set up for a session of wallbreaking, a cleanup, or both at the same time! The possibilities with this core are very versatile.

Mienshao is tasked with the SubPassing as well as taking out any Steel- and Ghost-types that might block Porygon-Z's sweep using High Jump Kick and Knock Off, respectively.

Mega Aerodactyl outspeeds Porygon-Z after an Agility boost, and KOs both with it's STABs, so make sure to have a Water-type to deal with it like Blastoise-M, Suicune or Tentacruel. The core falls to Quagsire very easily, so bringing something like Shaymin, Roserade, or Mega Sceptile would be wise. Dealing with Doublade can also be tricky, so something like Swampert would help.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 HP / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Doublade + Salamence is a great bulky offense core for a number of reasons. One of the neatest synergies these guys have is being complementary checks to Fighting-types in that they lose to different coverage moves, which is important to not get run over by any particular variant of the many Fighting-types in the tier. Between the two of them they also provide a physical Fire check, a Slurpuff counter, a Bee check, a Fairy check, a check to most bulky setup sweepers (CM/Curselax) in the tier, Defog support, a wincon, and a check to EQ-less MAero.

However like all two-mon cores there are a fair number of weaknesses that need to be addressed. This core is vulnerable to special attackers, Suicune, Dragon-types, EQ MAero, Volt Switch users, and Shadow Ball Reuniclus; it also lacks speed and Stealth Rocks. Thus, good partners include special walls, Grass types, Dragon checks, and Pursuit trappers:

Edit: Oh the core also has trouble with Mamoswine and offensive Water-types, making bulky Water-types good partners:

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen a Mega Ampharos + Bronzong core posted. Maybe it's not as effective as it used to be? I dunno, I've always played OU primarily so maybe it was never really much in UU. I can see Hydreigon kind of shits on it. Anyway, guess I'm asking if there's a reason I haven't seen it/more experienced UU players' input on if it would qualify as a "good core"

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
shoutout Vapo :^)
Hey guys, got another cool core here with DuggyLax.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / edit: Pursuit
- Aerial Ace
- Memento

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam

So ever since Cobalion had a huge popularity boost, Curselax has had a tough time in the tier, it's definitely been awhile since I've seen a Curselax sweep due to the amount of Cobalions on the ladder, but this core should benefit Curselax hugely. :] This is Curselax + Duggy, it's pretty simple. Snorlax has a tough time with things like Cobalion, Heracross, Empoleon, etc., and his is where Dugtrio comes in, trapping all the Steel-Types that Lax has trouble with and effectively KOing them, further increasing the probability of a Lax sweep. This core only really has trouble with Doublade, so a Fire-Type like Entei or Chandelure would be nice with these 2 specifically for blade. But here's the calcs for the checks to Lax
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (needs just a bit of prior damage)
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 390-462 (105.1 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 360-424 (119.6 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 180-212 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (needs prior damage)

Last edited:
shoutout Vapo :^)
Hey guys, got another cool core here with DuggyLax.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Memento

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam

So ever since Cobalion had a huge popularity boost, Curselax has had a tough time in the tier, it's definitely been awhile since I've seen a Curselax sweep due to the amount of Cobalions on the ladder, but this core should benefit Curselax hugely. :] This is Curselax + Duggy, it's pretty simple. Snorlax has a tough time with things like Cobalion, Heracross, Empoleon, etc., and his is where Dugtrio comes in, trapping all the Steel-Types that Lax has trouble with and effectively KOing them, further increasing the probability of a Lax sweep. This core only really has trouble with Doublade, so a Fire-Type like Entei or Chandelure would be nice with these 2 specifically for blade. But here's the calcs for the checks to Lax
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (needs just a bit of prior damage)
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 390-462 (105.1 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 360-424 (119.6 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 180-212 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (needs prior damage)
pursuit over stone edge for chandy would be cool

Reactions: rs
I'm coming out of hiding to post a pretty cool core that I haven't seen used in a long time. It's very bulky, like a lot of my cores.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword / Shadow Claw

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam / Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Blam! It's Snorlax+Doublade! Both of these guys are very good and very bulky setup sweepers that compliment each other thanks to their typing, stats, and abilities. Doublade is a physical tank, and Snorlax is a special tank, so this synergy is natural. Snorlax's sole Fighting weakness is covered admirably by Doublade, one of the better Fighting-checks in the entire tier, while Doublade's Fire weakness is covered by Snorlax (Ironically, Infernape still smashes this core, so prep for it). Consequently, a lot of the Fighting-types and some of the Steel-types that check Snorlax are stopped dead in their tracks by Doublade, and the fact that either of these 'mons can set up pretty easily thanks to their great bulk and stats means that opponents are constantly pressured to stop this.

There are a lot of Pokemon that trouble this core, though. Dark and Ground-types can still break through Doublade, and Snorlax doesn't really help with that. Grass-types work well with this core because of that. Some strong special attackers, most notably Chandelure and Nasty Plot Lucario, can punch massive holes in this core, which is why running Earthquake on Lax can be helpful. Grass-types are again helpful, because Swampert, Suicune, Jellicent, and other bulky Water-types can screw this core over. Krookodile and Whimsicott make good partners for this core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)