UU Domination

Hey everyone!!

This is my first post in really any type of forum so I apologize if it’s not up to the caliber of the normal Smogon posts you guys are used to. I took a year hiatus from competitively battling and finally got back into it this summer. It was a bumpy venture back to the skill I was at before I quit but I think I'm there. I've used a plethora of UU teams and combinations unsuccessfully in the few weeks I have been lurking in the Wifi Battle finder but I think I finally found a solid foundation for a team that I can use. Actually, the current team that I am posting is 6 and 1 in competitive play. I would like to make a few subtle changes and get suggestions from battlers that are more experienced than me (which, honestly, isn't that hard to do). So, with that lengthy introduction out of the way, here is my current roster:

Hitmontop @ Lifeorb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-Mach Punch
-Fake Out
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat

While I understand that many people no longer use dedicated leads in the 5th generation, I almost always start with Hitmontop. His Fake Out always does decent damage on anything that isn’t a Slowbro/Gligar and I find most people aren’t expecting the priority move or even the massively damaging Close Combat. Of all my Pokemon, it’s safe to say that Hitmontop has impressed me the most. The only room for improvement I see on this set is Bullet Punch. I really never find myself using it. Should I sub for something like Rapid Spin or leave him to his damaging role with something like Stone Edge?

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
Moves:
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Slack Off
-Toxic

Slowbro has really changed the way I play. He can take almost any hit in the UU metagame, switch out, and be back to his old self. I almost always find Scald leaving a burn to cripple those heavy hitters and love that he has access to Toxic to stall walls that I can’t normally punch holes through. But I do have a couple concerns with the set. Is it necessary to have two moves that can inflict status? Every once and a while, when my opponent switches, I will leave a burn on a poke that needs to be toxiced or vice versa: is there any different set I should try to avoid that?

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-Superpower
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Sucker Punch

Honchkrow has been a total mixed bag of epic late-game sweeping and underperforming. Honchkrow is almost always my last poke used and does a great job of cleaning up when no one else can. Moxie gives it the extra boost it needs to KO even things that resist its attacks. My only real issue that I have is its truly abysmal speed. While Sucker Punch is a strong priority move, it doesn’t always KO. I am considering swapping the Adamant for Jolly nature to give it a bit more speed knowing that provided it out speeds for the kill, Moxie will give me the extra power.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-V-create
-Fusion Bolt
-U-turn
-Brick Break

Not much to say about Victini. It’s relatively fast, incredibly hard hitting, and can take a hit or two. Even with no EVs invested in any defensive stat, there isn’t much that I’m afraid to switch in on. I can’t really think of any changes I would want to make to this set, but if there is something that I’m missing let me know.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 104 Atk / 216 SDef
Careful Nature
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Curse
-Self Destruct
-Body Slam

I have had two people forfeit mid game due to this monster. I used to use Umbreon to sponge all the special attacks thrown at my team but was incredibly disappointed that it could only defend. I tried out Snorlax and haven’t looked back. Two curses and its monstrous special defense leave it pretty much impenetrable to any attack. My only issue with Snorlax is its lack of recovery. I have considered putting rest instead of Self Destruct but I desperately don’t want this to become a RestTalk set. I have yet to Self-Destruct on anything so I would be absolutely open to subbing something else in.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Seed Flare
-Air Slash
-Earth Power
-Rest

Shaymin has to annoy my opponents to death. Rest with Natural Cure is a godsend. Like Victini, I haven’t had any real problems with this set. The use is extremely self-explanatory yet effective. With that in mind, I would be open to a suggestion of a different special attacking poke that would have more synergy with the team.

Wow, that took quite some time to type out haha. Like I said earlier, I have experienced quite a bit of success with this team. But, I am a perfectionist, so any changes you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that was such a mouthful and thanks for the help!!

For your Curselax, if you really don't like Rest, I'd suggest Pursuit or Crunch over Selfdestruct to hit ghosts. I'd also suggest Immunity over Thick Fat, as you're already pretty bulky and I'd imagine Toxic is more harmful than Fire/Ice attacks to your restless Snorlax. This also opens up a free switch in from Slowbro, who tends to be the target of Toxic.

Without a spinner or a poison type you're super weak to hazards. At the same time, Rapid Spin on LO Hitmontop is less than ideal. Give it a try, but consider Blastoise, a taunter or Xatu if hazards are getting you down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)