National Dex (UU) Mega Altaria Fat

Going into Scarlet/Violet, a lot of people said that fat teams would be unviable due to the recovery nerf and dexit. However, fat teams have been the most consistent for me during testing, so I'd like to share one of my most successful teams.

The Team

:sv/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bleakwind Storm
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian acts as the team's hazard removal and ground immunity. It provides speed control and a secondary check to mons like kartana. Additionally, knock off and toxic allow it to make progress in a lot of match-ups. U-turn is dropped because this team doesn't care about momentum, and I feel that tornadus's other moves are more useful. A ground tera gives tornadus the opportunity to stay in on electric types.

:sv/slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Slowking-galar acts as a special sponge for the team. It can take hits from a lot of special attackers; even super effective attacks won't OHKO it. The EVs allow slowking to survive 2 battle-bond activated greninja dark pulses from full, with the rest dumped into special attack. Future sight and sludge bomb are STABs. Future sight is a great way to make progress and sludge bomb has a great poison chance. Flamethrower deters steels from switching in, and ice beam hits flying and ground types. A dark tera allows slowking to take dark and ghost type attacks.

:sv/altaria-mega:
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 112 SpD / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Mega altaria provides a wincon and checks several threats such as zard-y and battle bond greninja. The EV spread allows it to avoid the 2HKO from a battle-bond activated greninja's dark pulse after rocks. 64 speed EVs allow it to outspeed max speed 95s after one dragon dance. The rest is dumped into HP and Defense for bulk. Earthquake was chosen as the coverage move of choice due to it hitting steels.

:sv/gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Gastrodon is the team's rocker, ground type, and backup specially defensive wall. Storm drain also helps in the rain matchup. Scald allows gastrodon to threaten to burn switch-ins, while earthquake threatens steel types. A steel tera is useful for taking grass type attacks, and steel is a great defensive type in general duew to the amount of resistances it provides. Leftovers can be switched for heavy duty boots, but I prefer the leftovers recovery due to the recovery move nerf.

:sv/skarmory:
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Roost

Skarmory is the team's primary physically defensive wall, steel type, and spikes setter. The speed EVs hit 200 speed, which outspeeds several prominent threats. Iron Defense + Body Press allows it to act as a wincon once oppossing special attacks have been removed. A dragon tera allows skarmory to take fire and electric type moves if needed. Rocky helmet can be replaced for leftovers, but I feel that it's not really necessary.

:sv/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Roost

Volcarona functions as a backup physically defensive wall and wincon. Flame body is great for punishing physical attackers. The speed EVs allow volcarona to outspeed weavile at +1. Giga drain was chosen as the coverage move of choice due to the additional healing and being able to flip the script on water and ground types. A grass tera allows volcarona to resist rock type moves and gain STAB on giga drain.

Threats
:charizard-mega-y: While both mega altaria and slowking can take its attacks, mega altaria and slowking both dislike scorching sands.

:zamazenta: Zamazenta has the power to 2HKO everything if it predicts right.

:annihilape: Taunt is really annoying. Try to burn it or toxic it.

Usage Tips
1) Try to avoid status and keep everyone healthy. If needed, slowking doesn't really mind paralysis, while tornadus doesn't really mind burn.
2) Know what your wincon is
3) Know if you should be playing offensively or defensively
4) Slowking and tornadus form a great regenerator core and can usually scout attacks. If you're not sure what to switch into, go into slowking or tornadus to scout it.
5) Stack hazards.

Pokepaste and Conclusion:

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments, suggestions, or criticism, I've to hear them.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/8c7fa634ea596a21

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I forgot to save replays, so I don't have any. I'll see if I can find some though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)