Project UU Next Best Thing Crown Tundra Edition: Week 52: Slowking | Voting Phase

Reserving sub focus punch instead
:ss/Kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Poison Jab
- Focus Punch
- Clanging Scales
- Substitute

Due to Kommo-o's versality in the tier between offensive and defensive, physical and special options, substitute + focus punch can catch a pokemon off guard. Mostly here to lure chansey via use of clanging scales, then sub up and punch the fatass to hell. I always wake up after the next cycle is posted so this is the best I can do lol

Last edited:
Taunt Kommo-o

Kommo-o @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Simply put: we are a Kommo-o with support 2 support moves in the form of SR and Taunt, to prevent annoying status moves between set-up moves, hazards and status.
Close Combat + Poison Jab are mandatory to have a powerful STAB move that doesn't lock you and Poison Jab allows to punish many Fairy types. Dont understimate the 30% poison chance towards checks not immune to it because many of them don't have reliable recovery.

Focus Sash is here because this pokemon has many weaknesses to common types, so it has to stomach one hit to get its job done.
The ability choice is very difficult because they are all useful.
Bulletproof allows Kommo-o to have more switch-ins.

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Scale Shot
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat​

Pretty straightforward set. You set up with Bulk Up to raise your Attack and Defense and the use Scale Shot to raise your Speed. Bulk Up's Defense boost helps to mitigate Scale Shot lowering Kommo-o's Defense as well. Dragon STAB for stuff like Amoonguss and Nidoqueen, Poison Jab for Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth, and CC for stuff like Skarmory, Scizor, Terrakion, etc.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And the voting phase is over! This week we have a total of 9 submissions, very nice! Thank you everybody for submitting! Here are the sets you guys can vote for:

:xy/kommo-o:
:life-orb: Mixed Clangorous Soul by avarice
:leftovers: Iron Defense + Body Press by BigFatMantis
:choice-band:Choice Band by Sickist
:choice-scarf: Choice Scarf by Katy
:focus-sash: Endeavor Suicide Lead by APW001
:salac-berry: Endure + Reversal by TotomonGang
:leftovers: Sub + Focus Punch by Monky25
:focus-sash:Lead Taunt by nameless90
:life-orb: Bulk Up + Scale Shot by Bandkrook

You have until Feburary 5th to vote!
I'm gonna start being more strict when it comes to reserving sets.

First, not only did someone reserve a set and changed it more than 2 times across the span of more than 2 days, but in the end they also decided to simply delete their post, probably due to not being able of delivering it in time. If you are not comitted to participating in this, DON'T PARTICIPATE. I'm aware we have IRL stuff, I do too. But I don't find it fair to other people for you to reserve a set, change it multiple times, and in the end don't even deliver it. I slacked and let this pass, and I'm sorry, but no more. If you wish to reserve a set, that is completely fine. But please deliver it under 24h of your reservation. Otherwise I WILL announce your set as free for reservation for someone else.

Second
, if you have posted a set and you don't think it is that good anymore or for any other reason you don't want it included, DO NOT DELETE YOUR POST. It just makes mine and Ausma's jobs harder. There is no need to delete your post, it just causes confusion. This also ties in the point of not being fair. You don't get to reserve a set, post it, and then one day before voting phase starts, just delete it. If you want your set removed, DM me or Ausma in our Discord or via Smogon DMs, and then we will not include it here. That is all and thank you for reading until here, and I hope everyone did.

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, feel free to message me on Discord as Bandkrook#6483.

honestly, half of these are already sets, or variations of existing sets. Endeavor Suicide lead is my vote.

BigFatMantis' Iron Defense Sweeper. Have actually used a similar set (on normal defensive Kommo-o to some success), opponents don't expect both moves on that set.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hey all, thanks for your votes! This was a pretty good round overall, however, we do have an announcement we'd like to make. We have decided to put a softban on the following items:
Choice Band
Choice Scarf
Choice Specs
Assault Vest
The reason for this is, primarily, because these items often employ very linear, obvious approaches when built upon. Often times, these sets utilize STABs + utility + coverage, which is one thing, but it typically does not bring anything unique or one of a kind out within submission candidates. There is one primary instance in which we will let you use these items, and it is if your vision mandates the use of one of these items to best highlight the unique attributes of the slated Pokemon and your submission in question. If this is the case, explain why it is needed to maximize the practicality of your submission. Otherwise, these submissions for the future will be vetoed on the spot.

That's all; great work as usual!

Band

scatters things often
IF YOU HAVEN'T READ AUSMA'S POST ABOVE, PLEASE DO BEFORE SUBMITTING!!!!
Now that the voting phase has ended, its time to announce our winner! Week 11's winner is BigFatMantis with the Iron Defense + Body Press set! Congratulations and thank you all for participating! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!
This week's Next Best Thing is...
icon jirachi.png
Week 12: Jirachi
icon jirachi.png

(Thank you WolfPP for the Jirachi Gen8 minisprites!)
:xy/jirachi:
"A legend states that when Jirachi awakens from its sleep of a thousand years it will make true any wish that is written on the notes attached to its head."

Yawn...uh...?
Oh! I overslept and almost missed this week's Next Best Thing! Jirachi can be enfuriating if your team is not prepared for it. Its combination of bulk, power, and Speed will leave you impressed at all the things it can do! It has access to support moves like Healing Wish, Trick, Stealth Rock while also serving as a powerful attacker with broad coverage like Thunder and Energy Ball. Most importantly, its ability Serene Grace makes its Iron Head have a 60% to flinch you everytime! Jirachi is not whitout its flaws though. 100 base Speed isn't very impressive for the tier, as being outsped by common Pokemon like Choice Scarf Krookodile, Terrakion, and Zeraora makes Jirachi constantly pressured. Its weakness to Knock Off is also very hard to deal with. How will you explore Jirachi's potential?

Banned Sets
:leftovers::choice-scarf::expert-belt:

(click me)

You have until February 9th to submit your set!

Last edited:
Reserving blunder policy dynamic punch
:ss/Jirachi:
Jirachi @ Blunder Policy
Jolly Nature
Ability: Serene Grace
- Iron Head
- Dynamic Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Ice punch/Filler

Stole this out of a pokeaim video ngl, dynamic punch has a tendency to miss so if you do you get a free speed boost. Serene Grace also gives a higher chance of confusion, and Jirachi can irritate foes by basically having a free choice scarf with zen headbutt flinches, iron head flinches. Fire punch is for steels, ice punch is for mence, and thunder punch is for gyara, its whatever you want for that last slot lol.

Last edited:
Meteor Beam Jirachi
:ss/jirachi:
Jirachi @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt​

Ngl, meteor beam jirachi isnt really the most consistent set, this is a simple 4 attacks variant trying to get as much coverage as possible on the tier.
with meteor beam you can get past some would be counters like defensive mence, the rotoms and especially tangrowth, getting a surprise ko on either of these can be incredibly useful for jirachi's teammates. The three coverage moves have a higher chance for their secondary effects to be triggered and a lucky paralysis or a spdef drop might be justs what you needed to win the game.

Last edited:

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt / Substitute / Aura Sphere
- Wish

Stored Power is bullshit so I went with that. Jirachi being base 100 allows it to outrun a lot of things like rocks Krook, Kyurem, Scizor, and so on. A Steel typing lets it have a bunch of resistances so once you get some boosts, you're pretty hard to stop unless the opponent has something like Banded Terrakion (which you beat if running Substitute). 3rd slot is pretty customizable to the team, depending on what the rest of the team struggles with, etc. For example, if your team struggles with Slowking, then you would run either Sub or Tbolt, and so on. Its a fun set, so I submitted it. Also Bandkrook ban the standard CM set to cuz thats a standard set.

Meteor Mash + 3 Physical Attacks Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Play Rough
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch

I'm a huge fan of this set and have been using it in UU for a while. You trade out the flinch rate of Iron Head to instead give Jirachi the potential to snowball into a decently fast, strong physical attacker that carries coverage to hit everything in the tier except Slowking and Victini with a neutral STAB attack at worst. With Serene Grace, Meteor Mash has a 40% chance to raise Jirachi's Attack by one stage, and Jirachi's defensive typing and bulk give it plenty of opportunities to switch in. Play Rough is very uncommon on Jirachi and can give the strong Dark- and Dragon-types in the tier a nasty surprise. Zen Headbutt gives a SE hit vs Poison- and Fighting-types as well as a neutral hit on Electric-types. The final moveslot is up to you - I prefer Fire Punch for enemy Steel-types but Jirachi has plenty of other great choices as well, Thunder Punch probably being the most useful alternative.

Last edited:

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserving Metronome!

:bw/jirachi:

Jirachi @ Metronome
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Head
- Ancient Power
- Drain Punch / Fire Punch

This set is arguably, quite evil. I originally had different ideas, but i decided to smush them into one. The aim of this set is to get behind a sub, get the Ancient Power boost and click Iron Head. Screw any other moves, just Iron Head. Just Iron Head. Just Iron Head. The more you Iron Head, the stronger it gets thanks to Metronome. Drain Punch and Fire Punch are interchangeable, depending on whether you find recovery nice or hitting Scizor and Celesteela.

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
Resultado de imagem para jirachi gif

Slumber (Jirachi) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

This set should ideally be used on Hyper Offense teams with screen setters like Grimmsnarl, where they can provide more chances for Jirachi to setup with Cosmic Power. Stored Power is naturally Jirachi's next move, becoming a 140BP STAB move after Weakness Policy has activated and one Cosmic Power boost, capable of OHKOing a very big part of the metagame and 2HKOing Pokemon like Assault Vest Tangrowth, Hatterene, and Victini. Thunderbolt hits Steel-types like Celesteela and Jirachi harder. Energy Ball is the last move, dealing with the two biggest stoppers of this set: Unaware Quagsire and Krookodile.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
sub + cm + charge beam-booster

:bw/Jirachi:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Charge Beam
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind

Substitute + Calm Mind Jirachi aims to be an annoying Pokemon to deal with, especially with Serene Grace Charge Beam has a nice way of boosting itself because it is 100% a boost each time Jirachi uses this move. Furthermore it has Calm Mind to boost the power of its attacks. Dazzling Gleam is nice neutral coverage for most of the tier, and is a way that it wont get walled by Dark-types such as Krookodile. The EV spread is pretty self-explanatory; its 252 HP and 4 Def to be as bulky as it could, so it has more chances to abuse its Serene Power the other 252 are invested into its Speed.

Last edited:
HO Screens Jirachi - to help promote everyone's favorite playstyle

Jirachi @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

So this is pretty straightforward. Jirachi is decently fast (faster than Krook a least), so it can set up screens AND rocks for ultimate role compression. And then it can use Healing Wish, which you can save until you need it as it remains active until you use it on something that is hurt. Then you can proceed to sweep with your favorite HO mons.

252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi through Reflect: 147-174 (36.3 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Ez

Here's a replay with this set: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1276504526-z5ce25p6h5820njbsha50y4zofys0qupw

Last edited:
Toxic Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch
- Toxic

General idea

Here we have and offensive-oriented Jirachi with a STAB in the form of Iron Head with a good 60% flinch chance thanks to Serene Grace.
U-turn is a good move to keep the momentum while dealing chip damage. Also, it is useful to escape from slower checks/counters.
Thunder Punch is still a good attacking move that provides a good coverage. Keep in mind that Jirachi has many option to choose from, but only one moveslot, so keep the coverage move you find more suitable to your team. Thunder Punch is picked in this sample set because it has the most coverage between the moves Jirachi has in its physical movepool.
Toxic is a good status move towards targets not immune to it because it puts a timer onto the opponent's threat. Nice combination with Iron Head if 60% flinch chance occurs.

Keep in mind that this is mainly a support check in which Jirachi is a bulky offensive tank.

EVs (spread) and item
The Evs spread is a basic offensive one.

Team(mates) support
Hazards removal is always appreciated as well as ways to deal properly with checks/counters.
In return, this Jirachi provides momentum with U-turn and some mixture of damage+status spam. Also, defensively speaking, it provides a decent set of resistances/immunities.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)