UU Player of the Week #14: New Breed

Approved by Sam and Hikari

Hello, and welcome to UU's player of the week where I interview
some of Smogon's most accomplished and well knowns players in the tier to give
some insight on who they are and their views on certain aspects of the metagame.
If there's someone you want to see interviewed next week, shoot me a PM!

New Breed

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My name is Kevin, most people that I'm close with on Smogon call me that. I'm 21 years old from Australia, currently working as a bartender. Outside of Pokemon I love my sports, Rugby League, Cricket and Soccer are the ones that I play and follow.

Most Known For:
I guess being a pretty good lower tier player, it was something I picked up during BW1 and stuck solid with into gen six.

Favorite Pokemon:
Probably a tossup between old reliable Tyranitar and Tauros. Tyranitar is one I have really taken a liking to recently since I started playing ADV alot more, Tauros goes back to the good old BW RU days and I loved using that thing.

Most used UU Pokemon:
Victini is a pokemon that quickly comes to mind, used it alot during BW and XY. Such a great Pokemon with so many phenomenal sets it's a shame that it's sitting in BL currently.

Where did you get your name from?
The name is something that just popped into my head as I was thinking about what to call myself. I wasn't a big fan of usernames with numbers and I wanted something original and easy to remember, guess this just stuck :].

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
2010 was my first experience with competitive battling but I didn't play consistently until mid BW1. I got into it through EV'ing random ingame Pokemon and coming across Smogon, from there I found Shoddybattle and then PO.

What is your favorite playstyle and why?
My favourite playstyle would have to be Bulky Offense. I just love the way it plays and having Pokemon to absorb hits and hit back harder while also having some sort of defensive synergy so you're not sacking every time something comes in really appeals to me.

What is your favorite generation of UU and why?
My favourite generation would be BW UU for sure. Even though the tier was pretty stupid with Hail in it I still enjoyed it and have enjoyed it much more during this UUPL playing without it. DPP is definitely a close 2nd though since it was an extremely balanced tier and all play styles were viable.

At what point do you think you became a ‘known’ player?
I'm not really sure haha, I guess at the start of XY I put alot effort into RU in particular and that's when people started to really take notice. As for any new players that would recognise my name that probably came from doing well in last years Grand Slam or playing in SPL.

Favorite moment of SPL?
It would have to be Lavos Spawn defeating Tiba in GSC in the last week of regular season when the series was tied up 5-5 at that point, kept our playoffs hope alive but unfortunately we lost the next game and tied the week to end our season.

What is some advice you can give to new players who want to get noticed?
I would say to pick a tier and learn the insides and outs of it, then start to contribute and post intelligently. In terms of battling just do you and rack up wins, I would stay away from being obnoxious and calling people out since anyone can be good at this game and your personality goes along way.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches?
The first thing I do is check replays and look for tendencies in play styles and Pokemon that they like to use. Preparing is not an exact science as in big tournaments people are almost never predictable so it's also good to get into the head of your opponent and work out what they might try and use to get the advantage against you.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon community?
I'm really lucky to be friends with alot of good people in this community so this list might be quite long haha. A few people that come to mind are my long time friends like blunder mencemeat aim Cased Omfuga FAJI Key and -Tsunami-. As well as other friends such as Nails FLCL Soulgazer KratosMana Isa and the german CBB himself. Also a couple people like BKC and McMeghan who have gone out of their way to help me and are people that I have alot of respect for.

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects you as a player with a brief explanation of how it works?
I haven't played gen six UU since Grand Slam so I guess i'll post an old BW UU team.
Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

Anyone knows me knows that I'm about my power and this team certainly lives up to that. Originally in the BW days it had SubSplit Chandelure over Cofagrigus but I edited that out so that I could use it during UUPL. The team is pretty straight forward, lay up hazards early game with Crustle, use Cofagrigus to keep those hazards on the field. I prefer to use Virizion early game to weaken things for Mienshao and then from there it depends on the opponents team. Adamant Mew hits like a truck and people often expect it to be NP switching their Umbreons/Snorlax in. Kingdra and Mienshao are the late game big guns but the other members are certainly capable of pulling off a sweep before they are even needed. Easily one of the more nasty BW teams going around.

------

Thank you for reading. If you have any questions for New Breed leave them down below. See you next week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)