UU Player of the Week #7: Sam

Approved by Sam and Hikari

Hello, and welcome to UU's player of the week where I interview
some of Smogon's most accomplished and well knowns players in the tier to give
some insight on who they are and their views on some aspects of the metagame.
If there's someone you want to see interviewed next week, shoot me a PM!

Sam

Alright I'll start with the generic 'a bit about myself' bit

I'm a 21 year old college student studying Chemical Engineering. I'm also a huge sports fan, following pretty much every major sport in the US. I'm also somewhat in to fashion, much to the chagrin of certain users. In my free time, I like playing racquet sports (squash is my favorite) and enjoying nice beers. I say haha a lot.

Most Known For?

Being a UU Tier Leader, owning 12 colognes

Favorite Pokemon?

Starmie

Most Used Pokemon?

Hydreigon

How and when did you get into competitive battling?

When I was younger I played Gens I and II, but after that didn't pick up another Pokemon game until Platinum came out. One of my friends on an old IRC server hyped up PO when that came out so I tried it out. For the most part, we just screwed around for a while doing things like monocolor and other random stuff like that. Eventually I made an account here and started getting in to actual tiers.

What is your favorite generation of Pokemon competitively and why?

I've become a pretty big fan of ADV. I don't really know exactly what drew me to it, but it's just so fun. I feel like the games are a lot less dependent on matchup. Almost every playstyle is viable and there's just so much you can do.

Do you think any mon is suspect worthy atm? If yes, which mon and why?

Well, if I thought anything was suspect worthy it would probably be suspect. So no, I don't think anything is suspect worthy right now.

Who do you think is the most underrated UU player?

Hmm. I don't know if I know of anyone who's really 'underrated' right now. Maybe McMeghan, he's undefeated in UU SPL.

Favorite moment of SPL?

Definitely beating Omfuga week 1. I wasn't really too sure about how the season was going to go for me but that really set the tone for the rest of the season.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon community?

All of my BIGs family such as ium , Funkasaurus , McMeghan , etc.

kokoloko he pretty much put up with me when I was new and insufferable

IronBullet93 has always been a bro

Bouffalant , Meru , and the rest of the UU gang who's been around pretty much this whole gen

Hikari for being a chill co-leader

Finally, can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?

I don't know how much of a current playstyle I have, but I'll share this one

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Tail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Poison Jab

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

This is the team I used week 6 of SPL against Meru. It's a very Hyper Offensive team with a little bit of a volt-turn core. Obviously Custap Forry is there to get up as many hazards as possible. At the time of this battle, Encore Zammer wasn't incredibly popular. However, I felt that it fit nicely on this team, especially since Meru is known for bringing balance (which he did bring). Mienshao/Chand/Aero form a really nice offensive core, covering almost everything between them. Since the team has a pretty tough time breaking through Florges, I decided to run Iron Tail on Aero to catch it by surprise. While the surprise part didn't work out too well, Iron Tail was actually able to take out Florges. Bulky Rotom-C may seem like an odd choice on this team, but it works so well. It's a nice bulky pivot that acts as a free switch for the tier's many bulky waters, and the slow Volt Switch allowed me to get my offensive threats in safely.

---

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions for Sam leave them down below. See you next week.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Will you ever use stall?

Steelers winning it next year yn

How long do you see yourself sticking with mons and leading UU? How long do you see yourself competing in tournaments like SPL in the future?

Do you think a potential scald ban can happen in the future? Why or why not

Do you think ^^ would increase the quality of competitive pokemon? Why or why not

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Can you just do me a quick favor and tell me the 12 colognes you use? Some of us other men need tips, you know. We can't all be uu tier leaders in pokemon and get all the women like you.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Will you ever use stall?

Steelers winning it next year yn

How long do you see yourself sticking with mons and leading UU? How long do you see yourself competing in tournaments like SPL in the future?

Do you think a potential scald ban can happen in the future? Why or why not

Do you think ^^ would increase the quality of competitive pokemon? Why or why not
Stall sucks

y

Really depends on how much free time I have. I have a decent idea of how much time I'll have for the next year, but after I graduate I really have no idea. I'd like to stick around as leader here for a while. As for SPL, I enjoyed it this year so provided I have the time I'd love to do it again.

I don't really see it happening to be honest. The support from Hikari and I is probably there if it's ever possible, but there's too many nuances with a Scald ban to really get it done, especially this late in to the generation.

I think it would because Scald fucking sucks

Can you just do me a quick favor and tell me the 12 colognes you use? Some of us other men need tips, you know. We can't all be uu tier leaders in pokemon and get all the women like you.
I'll give a little description about each one later, here's the list:

Bvlgari Black
Hanae Mori HM
Bleu de Chanel
Acqua di Gio
Terre d'Hermes
Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche
Versace Eros
Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
Paloma Picasso Minotaure
Boss Just Different
YSL Live Jazz
Penguin Original Penguin

EDIT: Also I don't wear cologne for the impressing women part. I wear it for me haha.

Last edited:
Why is Chris Kunitz garbage? I have him in fantasy and this year hes been a bum.

Geophysical Engineering > Chemical engineering. Why did you make the wrong choice?

Is your inbox broken or are you just lazy :]

Sam

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why is Chris Kunitz garbage? I have him in fantasy and this year hes been a bum.

Geophysical Engineering > Chemical engineering. Why did you make the wrong choice?

Is your inbox broken or are you just lazy :]
he has a anemia-like condition so he's had to deal with that

dude chemical engineering fucking blows you don't need to tell me

zzz

Sam

Picks for the remaining March Madness games?
little late on this but right now I'd probably say Wisconsin over Sparty in the final

Where do you work or do you take out student loans?
I don't have student loans. I work at my school's library.

haha?

hahaha?

ha!?

and excluding ur own team who do you think is winning uupl?
even excluding my team, I still think my team is going to win haha

Are you still the man?
always

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)