Tournament UU Snake Draft I Team / Set Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
approved by Lilburr
art by lydian

Hi everyone, now that snake is over for most the teams, we're officially posting the team and set dump thread for those willing to share some of your teams you built for during the season, and some techs that may or may not have made it! As always feel free to post for OldGens too, not just for SS UU stuff.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
bump

ORAS

1611110838022.png

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Bulk Up
Pretty sure Ark brought up something similar to me in the past but afaik this was the first time this set was used in a UU team tour. The concept is pretty self explanatory. Bulk Up Conkeldurr is well-known for being a broken piece of shit with minimal counterplay, and the incorporation of Poison Jab over the traditional Mach Punch lets it punish one of its more common forms of counterplay in Florges (and Whimsicott lmao). It's kind of similar to Mienshao in that the usual sequence is to Knock Off Florges during the first sequence then hard Poison Jab in the following one. For what may be considered 'prediction-reliant' to some extent, I literally never faced that issue in practice purely because of how stupid this Pokemon is. There are hilariously few mons that can truly handle a bulky Conkeldurr one-on-one, meaning that if you get this in on half the opposing team or so, they are essentially forced into what they believe is their hard counter, because everything else just falls over to this very balanced mon. You might have to eat a Moonblast, but it's a worthy trade considering this man is likely next to a Hydreigon of some form, who will presumably go hamburger for the rest of the game. There is a tradeoff however, mostly with things like opposing Hydreigon (or late-game 25% Mega Aggrons LMAO), but from my experience testing out the set, more often than not they'll respect the possibility of Mach until it's confirmed to not carry it, so that works in its favor a bit. I was kinda scared to use this because I figured it might just ruin ORAS more than Conkeldurr already does but shit happens I guess.

1611111562689.png

Gardevoir @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
Gardevoir was another mon this tour that I really didn't see the point of before this tour, and I don't entirely remember how this concept came about, but I know me and pearl kinda theorized this together, hence why we both used the team in that one week and then he used it again in semis. Conkeldurr + Healing Wish was an idea I tried in the past, but then I realized Poison Jab Conk couldn't ask for better support, as it likely has to eat a Moonblast to muscle past Florges, then it can catch an HWish and clean up the rest of the mons that likely can't deal with it in any capacity. I ended up facing something faster paced than I was expecting, so it didn't go down as theorized, but Gardevoir is still a threat and a half offensively. Its weird defensive typing has held it back forever in a tier run by Conkeldurr and Hydreigon, as being a Fairy that doesn't resist Dark is super super awkward. Anyway though ye, there aren't too many other Healing Wish options around, so this thing actually made a pretty nice fit, offering the team something beyond that, unlike the most prevalent other option, Scarf Celebi, which usually just clicks U-turn and can't ever risk locking into an attacking move. Breaker + invaluable Conk support, nut.

1611112476142.png

Heracross (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: w/e HP / 252 Atk / w/e Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
This isn't anything crazy, but it was a set I really liked trying out that mostly backed up all my theorization. It may seem kinda stupid to give up such a valuable move in Knock Off, which can easily cripple things like Florges, but one of my main uses of this type of set was simply to trade with it, slightly comparable to Jab Conk above. Now, it doesn't necessarily need Stone Edge to do that, as with an Adamant nature, +2 Megahorn has a perfect roll to 2HKO Bold Florg. However, it does make Heracross more immediately threatening to one of its only true answers in Crobat. The rolls to kill after rocks defend on the bat's investment, but in any case its doing a huge chunk at the very least, which is a bit of an adjustment from taking 23 from an unboosted Knock Off. Revealing Leftovers early can also lead to a false sense of security on that front, as it generally implies dual stab, Knock, SD. I originally theorized a 4 attacks set with Knock Off, expecting to miss it a lot more than I did, but honestly that was only ever the case when I saw Doublade, something that's fallen a bit out of favor. Otherwise, this thing is just super immediately threatening to much of the tier, and a big reason this man could be preferable to its broken Fighting counterpart Conkeldurr is due in large part to that ability to truly punish Crobat without jumping through too many hoops with its set. I know Ice Punch CB Conk does the job, but it is much much less splashable than Bulk Up variants, which can't accomplish the feat without some serious fuck shit. Lastly, Heracross is also a half decent Fighting check in its own right and has a pretty solid Speed tier, even with an Adamant nature.

1611113399988.png

Whimsicott @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: whatever
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Switcheroo
My hatred of Whimsicott as a mon is pretty well-documented. The literal only reason Whimsicott is considered for ORAS UU teams is its typing, which lets it pretend it can deal with things like Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, and Waters. Whether it actually does those things is another discussion, but it does alleviate some pressure off teammates that are meant to do similar things. One of the main issues with Whimsicott along with its piss poor attacking stats is its offensive typing, which leaves it walled by common types in the tier like Steel and Poison most notably. The merit behind this concept highkey lies in how shitty it is offensively, since it can cripple these team staples, whether it is the types mentioned above or things like Florges, with an unwanted Choice Scarf, then it can retain its good as-is Speed and fulfill its intended role with its newfound presumable Leftovers. An interaction I especially liked was that with the standard Haze Acrobatics Crobat, which naturally does not want an item by any stretch. Acrobatics becomes even weaker and more passive than before, and Crobat finds itself reeling to check what its meant to even more than usual, especially when rocks are on its side. it made a natural partner for my Knock Off-less Heracross above, which was also unintentionally EVd to live 55 BP Acrobatics from full HP the vast majority of the time. When I used that team I made in semis, I did make the mistake of not getting the Scarf out of this thing's hands immediately, which may have cost me, but I threw that shit anyway so bop. Just Switcheroo asap and its slightly more useful than your average puff ball thing.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
USUM

:ss/primarina:
Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 128 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Psychic
- Substitute
Primarina has always been solid offensively in USUM but often does not run anything besides STABs if not Choice Specs. This set is not totally new (no idea who first) but deserves more use. It is great against people that spam the shroom since it can awkward to play around. Substitute eases pressure on getting all the turns correct and can block Spore for a free Psychic. A substitute is not hard to get up with all the Scarf Hydreigon. I found it a really nice partner for mons like QA Scizor that appreciate Amoonguss/Tenta weakened. I did not end up bringing it to any games but it is still nice.

:ss/tangela:
Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stun Spore
Unfortunately, I was not confident enough to run him this time but Tangela is solid despite knock off's existence. Amoonguss is also a pressing issue for it. Being able to OHKO shit like Mamoswine and Terrakion with Leaf Storm is great and you can run double status. Amoonguss can obviously do the same, but its Hidden Power Fire is much weaker. Had it paired with Specs Moltres running Sleep Talk to help mushroom mu but there's plenty of anti Amoonguss shit to choose from really.

:ss/suicune:
Suicune @ Icium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
This was a set that was made to give a hard time to basic scarf krook + amoonguss teams after removing whatever fat-water is present. Tailwind was Highways ' idea to be able to clean easier given that bulky spread isn't too hard to revenge due to relying on Rest. I still prefer Icium with Rest but this did well in test games and came close to succeeding in practice. Though, probably wouldn't have used without a secondary Tailwind user (Tornadus).

:ss/hoopa:
Hoopa @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
Standard set with some hp to tank scalds easier with Substitute. I firmly believe that Ghostium Z is superior to Z Fight since when running hoopa there are so many games were you get to attack twice at most. Z Fight is nice for the accuracy but like otherwise you're using to what? Break past alolan muk? There are rarely any drawbacks to clicking never ending nightmare and it does a hefty amount to the relevant Dark-types. Was originally going to bring against TDKs but backed out since the tier has so many pursuit users. Hoopa being able to nab at least one kill a game is fair enough when it shreds most stalls on its own tho imo.

:ss/starmie:
Starmie @ Psychium Z
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Gravity
I ran this set with Webs and threw a 100% winpath by forgetting Scizor is broken. It didn't get to do its thing in the match but this set with webs support is brutal. Starmie already pressures teams that rely on Scarf Krookodile with Webs support with ease. However, Scarf Hydreigon is normally able to revenge kill as normal. Z-Gravity gives Starmie the strength to kill with +1 Blizzard and outspeed (if webs are up). This makes the matchup against standard malt /rotom-h/scarf dark type builds strong. The power and accuracy is pretty sick, though not enough to justify using without webs support.

SWSH

:ss/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest
I tried to convince the team that this set was good with no avail. I ended up bringing it against ODR for LTPL where it had the bulk to do things though. Mixed def is a bit ambitious but works fine if you aren't unlucky with poison. The defense lets it not get smashed in by bulky Celesteela. PerishTrap lets it destroy fatter teams without much effort. Thankfully Teleport Chansey is nonexistent, and won't risk physical anyway. So many mons can go in once bulky Grasses like Tangrowth and Amoonguss are removed. I'm most fond of Lycanroc but Terrakion stands out too.

:ss/obstagoon:
Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
nothing new but the goon is so good don't sleep on it. stabs are walled by coba (lol) and rak but they still fear CC at first and regardless don't have the recovery to keep switching into guts facade. Slower than Kommo-o is unfort but the ada power goes a long way. goon's natural bulk gives it plenty of opportunities to rest off against stuff like Amoonguss and Tangrowth, as well as choice-locked Krookodile. Zeraora not running CC as much is great for it too.

:ss/omastar:
Omastar (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
Sabella was supposed to run my rain team but loaded up the wrong team by mistake unfortunately. Rain is rather easy to forget since Politoed eating up a slot sucks. However, Omastar can still fuck shit up and punish people that rely on Zeraora as their fastest mon + Fat grass. Meteor Beam strength is solid and lets it get past mons like Kyurem. It won't get Beast Boost like Nihilego but under rain +1 Hydro is nuking everything anyway. Pokemon that can take a hydro and Earth power or Ice Beam is limited to like, Chansey and Gastrodon.

:ss/victini:
Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick Room
I am so disappointed I didn't convince anyone to run Trick Room. Yeah it is cheese but semi trick room teams can be rather consistent. I made a lot of variants but my favorites ones had this Victini. Physical Boots Victini has a fair amount of room to experiment with in it's final slot. I believe all of Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Willo were ran on physical boots tini during champs? I have ran this set on normal teams + random slow breaker in hopes to get it going late game. Though, it really can appreciate Trick Room itself to clean with V-Create speed dropping. i.e. TR up on Zeraora, kill, Mamoswine no longer underspeeds you.

not gonna mass tag but thank u hs for drafting me and the rest of the sandacondas for a fun team environment even if we just missed semis, hope to team with u guys again in the future

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPP

:dp/sceptile:

Creation Myth (Sceptile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 172 Atk / 184 SpA / 152 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

i am so in love with mixed sceptile i cant even load any other set anymore. focus blast is a terrible terrible move and edgequake coverage is real nice for sceptile being able to snipe moltres, scyther, houndoom, and still dent registeel reliably. i put just enough speed on this for the 105s like mismagius plus some more for quick feet ursaring. no need to run more than that imo bc ambipom is quite rare these days anyway and i didnt want to cut into its offensive stats too much. if you bring this out late game with registeel weakened this can easily run away with 2 kills or more bc it isnt forced out after leaf storm drops.

:dp/mismagius:

Camilla, I'm Home (Mismagius) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Nasty Plot

specs mismagius is not entirely unheard of but it is a rather rare sight especially with nasty plot last. idea is simple really: trick your specs away first to cripple the dedicated answer, then go on a rampage with nasty plot later. primary targets for this trick (heh) are registeel and clefable. you also pack quite a punch without a boost with this 2hkoing spiritomb for example.

:dp/drapion:

MeanMrMustard (Drapion) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

i shed some light on this set in my lengthy drapion post over in the dpp uu discussion hub already but i guess it doesnt hurt to include it here. i quite like its ability to take advantage of common leads and instead of taking up time to set up lousy tspikes puts some pressure on immediately with sub+sd. dont expect too much from it but you can def be content with letting it go if its taken down a mon and a half before it meets its dugmise.

:dp/claydol:

Claydol @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Trick
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

i didnt get to use this but i thought it was cool. cripple sth with trick, catch sth by surprise with eq/boom, or go for a suicide spin if you really have to. speed is adjustable this one has just enough for houndoom and other 95s but you could go with enough for sceptile and zam even. anyway a spinner with spikes immunity is deserving of some exploration i imagine. only problem is this cant really punish the ghosts so you might wanna pair this with tomb or some other pursuit user.

:dp/tangrowth:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 124 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis

now before you shout at me why i would ever use this over sd venusaur hear me out. i was frantically paranoid of rain in the beginning of this tour fsr so i wanted a decent kabu answer that could still apply some pressure on fat. turns out the pure grass typing is great for switching into earthquake from the likes of donphan and torterra and you completely wall sd venu with this too. obv pair it with regi for a fly resist and to keep those pesky special venus in check. i didnt use this particulary set in my game vs heysup but i think this has some potential.

ADV

:rs/grumpig:

SchüttelDeinSpeck (Grumpig) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 136 HP / 236 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

i really liked the counter lead pig that bkc used so i gave grumpig a whirl myself but ultimately ended up using this set instead. walrein is a pretty common lead nowadays and this puts some pressure on right away. enough speed for max speed walrein on this to dodge toxic and enough spatk to ohko greedy omastar before they can lay up a spike. the smogdex analysis lists hp dark as coverage for this set but honestly hypno hasnt been seen around much lately and if its psychic it lose still so i prefer hp grass for the waters. you still hit lunatone and solrock with hp grass too.

:rs/kangaskhan:

DerLetzteTag (Kangaskhan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Return
- Toxic
- Rest
- Wish

personally i dont bother with wishtect at all anymore. rest is just too good to pass up with all the toxic spam that going on in this tier. even if you pack a cleric wishtect just doesnt cut it. spdef rest wish kang is also the closest thing to a splashable walrein counter that youre going to get bc ice beam wont 3hko. hitting 230 speed on this has become quite important too imo bc weve been seeing more and more speedy walrein variants and threatening to tox before they can sub up to force them out is essential. rest simply makes fat kang a lot more self sufficient whereas tect makes it unnecessarily prone to being taken advantage of.

I didn't use most of the sets I'm posting here but I came up with the ideas during the tournament so why not. Thought about posting my teams as well but I'm lazy.

SS

:ss/mamoswine:
Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Ice Shard

Came up with this while prepping to play against Askov, but odr wanted to use it as well and his team was great so I ended up using another team. Anyway, this isn't innovative by any means (Accelgor used it in Snake against Lily, I'm pretty sure), but it surely is efficient right now. Scarf Mamo is, imo, better than Scarf Krook because it can actually do something against the omnipresent Grass-types, hits harder, forces out a lot more Pokemon (e.g Salamence, Kommo-o), and is a huge surprise factor.

:ss/tyrantrum:
Tyrantrum @ Hard Stone
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Scale Shot
- Close Combat / Earthquake

I wanted to use this against Gondra but unfortunately didn't have the balls. Hard Stone boosted Head Smash hits like a truck, and in case there's an opportunity, Dragon Dance is a great tool to boost Tyrantrum's chances to sweep. Scale Shot is preferable over Dragon Claw because it has huge snowball potential and Tyrantrum isn't missing much since it's clicking Head Smash more often than not. Close Combat and Earthquake are the only viable coverage options since they cover the few Pokemon that can switch into Head Smash, such as Terrak, Krook, Jirachi, and Nidoqueen. Its main issues are that its base Speed isn't that good and it struggles against most Krook + Grass-type archetypes this meta, so it's always going to be tough to build around it.

:ss/mew:
Mew @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz

Came up with this set while discussing with Ava and odr the Spikes options in the tier and ended up using it in my Championship series. I always liked offensive spikers such as Heracross during DLC1 UU, but I felt like any spiker in the current metagame would be rather useless due to the massive Boots spam. However, Spikes Mew stands out because it has fantastic coverage and a good Speed tier, which makes it perfect for ho/all-out offense. I went for Fire + Bug coverage to simulate Volcarona's coverage, which allows it to hit Slowking, Latias, Jirachi, Scizor etc. for super effective damage. Overall it's not a bad set but it's also really hard to fit into most teams right now.

:ss/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 96 Def / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

I ended up using avarice's dragmag against Askov, and this was one of the few changes I made to the team. Thunder Wave is a broken move and Magnezone can perfectly bait many Pokemon to switch in and Para them. Chople turns this set into an even better lure since Terrak is broken. Flash Cannon obviously OHKOes -1 Terrak and the defense EVs allow Zone to take one CC from CB and one CC from LO after Rocks.

:salazzle:
Salazzle (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave

Used it against Umbry, but I wasn't able to show the tech unfortunately. Thunder Wave lures Terrakion and Latias if they ever try to switch in. Salazzle is also a rather unorthodox pick but it works really well in the current metagame thanks to its Speed tier and STAB combination. All my homies hate Grass-types.

:rotom-heat:
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Trick
- Pain Split / Toxic

Standard set, just haven't seen people use it anywhere so I decided to post it. I used it against Gondra and it did what it's supposed to do: lure the switch-in and Volt Switch out with a lot of momentum. I'm a huge fan of Trick Scarf so it's really no surprise this is a set I used really.

:latias:
Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Thunder

Didn't have any opportunity to use this, but I was planning to if we clutched playoffs. I realized people were spamming Slowking + very Fire weak Steel-type archetypes and this set punishes these very well. It's also a nice tool to catch Goltres off guard too, but it's mainly supposed to lure Slowking.

:thundurus:
Thundurus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic

Another set I was plannig to use in case we got to playoffs. Some teams use Latias as a guarantee they won't lose to Thundy so this was definitely a set worth trying, considering it's really hard to fit Pokemon that are able to realistically threaten NP Thundy and Latias gets OHKOed by +2 Dark Pulse after SR. My only issue with this set is that it drops Focus Blast, which is an important coverage for Thundy to hit Krook, but it's still worth it depending on the team composition.

ADV

:rs/walrein:
Walrein @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Substitute

Expulso used a lot of Omastar/Walrein lead so I wanted something that could abuse either. I ended up going with a much more offensive spread than usual because I wanted to outspeed standard Kanga and hit as hard as possible. Expulso ended up using Electric spam which made this set basically useless, but it's still decent enough to give a try imo.

:rs/fearow:
Fearow @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Drill Peck
- Double-Edge
- Toxic
- Quick Attack

Fearow is a strong Normal-type and it fit very well into my team, but I always thought CB was underwhelming because it most definitely wants to switch between its attacks or Toxic a Rock-typing while staying in, so I came up with Silk Scarf. It still does a ton of damage and KOes the same Pokemon.

I had a great time playing for the Sandacondas. Thanks hs for drafting me and allowing liam and I plan the draft with you, and thanks to the rest of the team for making this an enjoyable experience for me. Not clutching playoffs was unfortunate, especially considering the strength and potential of our roster, but it was a great tournament nevertheless. Hope I team up with you guys again soon.

Notily

dirt rich
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 5.07.20 PM.png
torn is a scary mon to bring to tour games because of the inherent risks that come with hurricane, but i liked the team a lot and we had already clinched playoffs so missing canes wasn't a big deal. seismitoad might seem like a weird pick for offense but it checked a lot of boxes defensively while still threatening some key targets. most importantly it can switch into zera once after rocks, which is better than most offense teams. its typing allows it to check stuff like the rotom forms and flip turn keld, which allows me to drop roost for sleep talk on lati so i dont have to play 5v6 vs amoonguss. this combined with luring in helmet tang gives the team a nice matchup vs amoong / tang / bulu. also occa bisharp is a cool set for getting some momentum from opposing latias, more ppl should use it

:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

this was never unleashed sadly but i think it has potential. between megahorn and stone edge you can catch most of the common switch ins to steela like slowking / fire types. having one of the best defensive typings + essentially a drawback free 120bp stab move seemed really good, especially if you can lure the steela check w/ coverage.

thanks Bebo for drafting me (and vivalospride for convincing bebo to get me) and the rest of the barboaches for a great season. wish everyone the best, hope to team again soon

Big shoutouts to everyone on Bouffalants, we had a great season - this tour was a very enjoyable experience for me to pick up DPP UU again, and we had a really great run as a team. I also have to give specifically shoutouts to Bouff, BKC, and Ark who all helped me tremendously with building the teams during the entire season, as well as always being available for test games.

Week 1 vs mael (W)
:mesprit: :torterra: :rhyperior: :slowking: :clefable: :azumarill:

This team was built with esche in mind, who was subbed out last minute. Because this was week 1, there we no replays from this tour to go by yet but we looked at a couple of replays and Rhyperior seemed good vs most of their teams with enough paralysis support. I built a bunch of versions of this team but we ended up settling on this one: Sub Rhyperior + Sub Azumarill are both super threatening with some para support (and of course without as well) and also provide some defensive utility. There was not as much paralysis as originally planned but Slowking and Clefable can spread it and form a formidable defensive core with Torterra. Finally, I have one of my favourite sets with Scarf Mesprit, which has a lot of utility: revenge kills against offense, Tricks against fat, gives me momentum turn 1, and Healing Wish allows me to play a lot more liberally with Rhyperior and Azumarill which helped a lot during the game.

Week 2 vs atomicllamas (W)
:uxie: :kangaskhan: :dugtrio: :milotic: :rotom: :venusaur:

This team wasn't really prepped for llamas specifically as much, but it was something I wanted to build and seemed to fit well for this week. I wanted to combine the ideas of: Kangaskhan + Dugtrio, as the only types that resist Scrappy Normal moves are Rock and Steel; Kangaskhan balance, as it seemed like a nice fit as the main threat for a fatter team; and Dugtrio balance, where you wear down the opponent's team into range for Dugtrio to pick stuff off where needed. The team was pretty straightforward to build from these ideas and ended up like this. SpDef Venu might be the most interesting set there, which is honestly a great tank. Also Sleep + Dugtrio is kinda broken.

Week 3 vs TSR (L)
:mesprit: :swellow: :dugtrio: :kabutops: :houndoom: :leafeon:

So for this week I think I didn't have a ton of time cause I went for a more standard-ish team style that I knew from way back when I last played (like 2015-2016). I was pretty happy with my teams for the first two weeks, but I figured I should change it up to something a bit more offensive as well, and I found Scyther / Swellow + Leafeon + Dugtrio to always be super reliable. From there on it's pretty standard, I went with Houndoom + Kabu to be able to trap Rotom and Mismagius mainly. I was a bit worried about using the third pixie lead in a row, which I indeed got punished with. (Also Dug is kinda useless vs Shed Shell Regi, of course)

Week 4 vs Leru (W)
:venusaur: :clefable: :qwilfish: :donphan: :mismagius: :arcanine:

I actually had other ideas for this week, but didn't get quite get them to work. I had the random idea to build a Specs Altaria + spikestack team,
and threw six mons together. BKC suggested Clef > Altaria which was a great change for this iteration, and this team did great in testing so I went with this. What I specifically focused on for Leru was keeping Venusaur as a threat. His teams so far had been pretty weak to it in my view, so I wanted it both as just one of the best goodstuff mons in the tier, and as a solid wincon - which paid off in the end. This team is a bit weak to CM Clef, but it is managable with Encore Clef and backup sleep and boom.

Week 5 vs Eternal Spirit (L)
:moltres: :uxie: :azumarill: :hitmontop: :registeel: :rotom:

We noticed that at this point in the tour, Gama was spamming Registeel hard: bringing it every single game, even leading with it twice. On the other hand, I think I must have been the only one to not bring it in a single game so far, as it was at like 75% usage or something. I don't remember who had the idea but someone brought up the idea to use Sub Moltres as lead to get a free Sub up if so possible, and can cripple whatever comes in with Toxic. I also brought SubCM Uxie as it seemed very good against his teams so far, if I am able to somehow cripple Registeel for example by burning it with Rotom. They also work nicely together, as if I can toxic Milotic with Moltres then SubCM Uxie can't be stopped by Haze Milo - on the other hand, if it's Refresh it sets up on it. I added Registeel for defensive utility and also to not get too predictable and abusable with my non-usage of it. A spinner is a requirement, and Toxic Hitmontop is just so good and works well here. SubPunch Azu rounds out the team as it's just amazing.

Week 6 vs MrAldo (W)
:omastar: :mismagius: :sceptile: :blaziken: :toxicroak: :azumarill:

I remember that we wanted to bring spikestack offense for this game cause 1) it's really good, 2) it matched up nicely vs Aldo's teams so far, 3) from my point of view it seemed like Aldo was newer to DPP and this seemed like a good way to try to take advantage of that, 4) I hadn't brought it yet. Ark suggested Sceptile for this team, BKC suggested to use Specs Sceptile. God this mon is scary, fast and crazy powerful. SubNP Missy is so fucking good too, both spinblocks and just sweeps too many teams that do not have enough checks for it. Double Fighting is crazy strong, I originally had SD Croak but shoutouts to BKC and Bouff for making me change to NP. Band Azu is ridiculously strong and helps me beat down fatter teams with Spikes and Waterfall / Return, and pick off faster threats with Aqua Jet.

Week 7 vs Heysup (W)
:mesprit: :primeape: :houndoom: :tauros: :venusaur: :kabutops:

So this week didn't matter for us, as we were qualified regardless of result. I wanted to build something fun with Monferno / Nidoking / Glaceon, but in the end I didn't spend the time on it so I went with this team I already had and I used a bunch during the RoA Olympics tour, with some small changes. This team is just super offensively focused with not a lot of defensive utility, but its goal is clear: U-turn with Primeape (or Mesprit) out of their Ghost switchin, trap it with Houndoom, and go to town with the bull.

Semifinals vs Thiago Nunes (W)
:scyther: :uxie: :kabutops: :registeel: :venusaur: :dugtrio:

For this game I really wanted to bring Venu + Dug, I think it's good in general but for this game especially. Thiago's Venu checks (and Leru's before him) have all been trappable by Dug: think Drapion, Arcanine, Registeel, etc. I went with Scyther as it is a great threat too vs those teams with the same mons trapped, and allows Dugtrio to come in freely. Kabutops is the best spinner on these kind of teams in my view (although we also experimented with a bulkier spinner eg Blastoise + Regirock), and Registeel provides much needed defensive pivoting and doesn't give away momentum too much thanks to Thunder Wave. I was messing around with some pixie sets in the last slot, but Ark suggested ChestoRest Uxie which worked out amazing and was the perfect addition to the team, as it is another mon that abuses Registeel removal and can wear it down in case of Shed Shell or something along those lines.

Finals vs Eternal Spirit (W)
:qwilfish: :arcanine: :torterra: :hitmontop: :rotom: :altaria:

We had a lot of ideas for the finals game, but this was the one that we ended up bringing. Gama used a lot more crazy shit as the tour went on (Jumpluff, Drifblim, Cacturne) as well as a lot of Entei, so we had the be prepared for both. BKC suggested Roar Arcanine + Spikes balance, which works nicely for checking random shit as well as Entei, and is also a big threat on its own with the right conditions. In essence, this team is somewhat similar to the one I brought in week 4, but with a different spinner, spinblocker, etc. I had a couple of iterations of this team, but ended up changing later in the week to this version, bringing back the Specs Altaria that I dropped in week 4. The downside of this version is a weakness to Ice coverage on Water-type mons, as you have to rely on Qwilfish to handle it, but after the semifinals game we didn't expect them to bring rain and something like a single Milotic is managable.

Feel free to hit me up for any questions or comments about any of the teams, or anything DPP UU related.​

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
it's been a fun tour, not totally satisfied with my performance but i'm glad to see our team getting into finals while having an enjoyable teamchat so s/o for everyone in the Bouffs (and everyone that joined the chat in semis/finals).

i'm kinda lazy for stuff like this so i'll just write brief descriptions on each stuff

Weezing-G HO that i used Week 3 vs col49, i had in my mind that for this week i'd want to use something more unusual since i brought pretty standard BO until this point so I decided to try a different kind of HO that abuses Misty Terrain which allows me to not waste my item slot with Lum Berry or not needing to use Sub/Taunt. Screens + Kommo-o + Steela are pretty standard because of their valuable resists/immunities for HO, then I added Dual Dance Necrozma which at the time i haven't really seen ppl using it (or when it was used it was most of the time auto mbeam) and finished with bu + acro zera because it could easily abuse teams that relies on bulky grasses to check it.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Sleep Talk
- Flamethrower

Stakataka @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Heat Crash
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Protect

Both aren't really anything surprising but i think those sets are better than their usage says. Even if Chandelure has some offensive checks that can switch into the right move once, defensive checks to it are really rare since Incineroar's usage is far from what it was in dlc1.

Talking about the Stakataka set, i was very high on protoxic pokes so i decided to test stuff like Blaziken (when it was around), Metagross, etc. Stakataka is a decent Latias check that isn't fire weak and passive unlike Registeel and does have the necessary physical bulk to check non-spower scizor/bisharp

Unused stuff (some of them aren't really good but they can take advantage of some trends) :

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Toxic / Earthquake / Glare / Iron Tail / Superpower

Although Tangrowth is still used Amoonguss has been more common nowadays so you'll often find yourself in matchups where you're free to spam Thousand Arrows, ESpeed is also nice to have vs HO. I ended up using it vs Sabella for UU Ribbon and although i got lucky with a crit, zyg was able pressure his team a lot because of the lack of a pure grass/bug type.

Haunter @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick / Sleep Talk

Weaker than Chand but ain't rocks weak + ground immunity + slightly faster. Used it in UU Ribbon and even if it faced a Chansey it was still able to pressure the opp with Chansey getting tricked.

Roserade @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 8 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

Another thing that i was really high on despite the fact that we're in gen8 is Spikes, which with the right knock users on the team you almost always find ways of making progress, but mainly Roserade is one of the fews offensive switch ins vs bulky grasses.

Suicune @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Upside: in right conditions it's unkillable
Downside: u have to use bulu

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn / Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Most teams will either only have pokes that gets 2hko'd by its stabs or will be using Palo/Doublade. Rock Polish isn't anything new on Terrakion but i haven't really seen it in tour so i decided to try it as a possible cleaner vs teams that relies on zera/krook as their speed control.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Black Glasses / Choice Band / Chesto Berry / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Darkest Lariat
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave / Trick / Fire Punch / Rest

Came up with it as an attempt of fitting an offensive check to Latias w/o the need to use niches steels, it does hit surprisingly hard

Salazzle (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

s/o Highways and hs for hyping the lizard, i do think it's pretty underrated being smth that abuses grasses types + good speed tier + decently strong

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Safeguard/Yawn

safeguard/yawn + teleport in theory is pretty cool for creating opportunities for setupers

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Stone Edge

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Darkest Lariat
- Stone Edge

Prob isn't anything super new but i saw Estarossa mentioning it and i think it actually has great potential vs most standard balances, but it mostly fits on more specific builds since you're giving up on one of the best Terrak/Latias/Zera revenger in exchange of breaking stuff.

Weezing @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Corrosive Gas / Flamethrower / Thief / Psybeam / Toxic Spikes / Taunt / Haze / w.e
- Pain Split

most of the time you'll be better using weezing-galar but regular weezing does have the small niche of handling amoonguss and scizor/bisharp better, neutralizing gas + zeraora once again abuses slower teams that rely on bulky grasses to check zera

Highways (Scrafty) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

isn't anything meta-revolucionary and prob isn't that good but it does abuse standard BO/balances that relies on slowking/moonguss/steel to handle stuff and can decently check latias, def evs allows scrafty to survive cc from terrak at +1def

Thanks to hs Nat Juno Lyss for helping me with tests throughout this tour and thanks to Bouff for drafting me and preventing me from using stuff that most likely was on the wack side instead of the heat side.

Last edited:

Eternal Black (Necrozma) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 88 Atk / 184 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
- Knock Off
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Morning Sun

I played this set of Necrozma in the snake final, objective is to have a powerful pokemon that can easily threaten Amoonguss and Slowking with Knock Off, but also can lure pokemons like Skarmory, Scizor ...
88 in Attack allows to kill Latias after the rocks + the retreat of the lo (the idea of my team is to put bronzong on latias, take an attack and then put the rocks)
236 allows to outspeed nidoqueen modest, the rest of the evs in Spa to break

Hello There ! (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect

I consider Bronzong as the only in durable in Latias in the whole tier. Latias cannot do anything against zong (except trick). Bronzong is a bit passive though, but it easily keeps the rocks from the classic deffoggers like Salamence and Rotom-Heat thanks to HeatProof. Toxic also allows to completely neutralize Latias and other pokemons that want to threaten Bronzong, like Krookodile, Zeraora ...
Earthquake is an excellent way to touch the steel pokemon, immunize to Toxic like Bisharp, Nidoqueen, Jirachi ...
Protect allows to hold on the duration and to pass the turns of toxic. Also noted that this bronzong wins its 1v1 against Victini (Special and Physical) if Victini takes Eq on the switch.
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Heatproof Bronzong: 218-258 (64.4 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Victini Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatproof Bronzong: 116-138 (34.3 - 40.8%) -- 45.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Bronzong Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 132-156 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Bronzong Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 196-232 (57.4 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 79-94 (23.3 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Mystical Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatproof Bronzong: 62-75 (18.3 - 22.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Really an incredible pokemon, I advise to play it

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot / Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

A very nice set to play nihilego in a balance team, its double type and its solid Special bulk can make it a pivot on threats like Salamence Special, Rotom-Heat, Moltres-Galar ...
Knock off allows to remove the jirachi object, Celesteela, Slowking, Scizor, Nidoqueen ...
Grass Knot is a solid option to touch ground type like krookodile or nidoqueen.
Finally, the big advantage of this pokemon is that it is untouchable by classic defog users, allowing Nihilego to keep the rocks on the ground.

500 Tortures (Scizor) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 32 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

This is the best scizor set for me. Boots allows you to rotate on a lot of pokemon without taking the rocks, avoiding scizor to be 2hko or having to roost every time you enter the field.
Knock Off + Bullet Punch is a deadly combo that hits every pokemon in the UU.
Pokemons that can in on scizor, like Salamence, Rotom-Heat, Skarmory, Rotom-Wash, Celesteela ... get punished by knock off and none of them like to lose their item.
248HP allows odd number of rocks and combined with 32 in Def, Scizor survives Crawdaunt Life Orb's Crabhammer
16 in speed to be able to win the ties with the other scizor 0 speed and the rest in Attack.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Scizor: 286-338 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

baby can I molt u (Moltres-Galar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 116 SpD / 144 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Nasty Plot

This is not my set, Umbry used this set against Gondra in the Snake UU Semi-Final. This set allows you to put Moltres in a balance team and use it as a wincond with Nasty Plot + Rest Talk or as an in à latias.
144 in speed to outspeed Nidoqueen Modest, the rest in pv and Spdef to tank better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)