Tournament UU Snake Draft II Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of you make good points and they are also being done in a civil manner so I commend everyone whose posts I've had the time read in this discussion thread, which includes a variety of different opinions and arguments.

The concerns SS players have are understandably quite a few but I'd like to address a few of them so as not to go off the rails.
I am not sure if SS requires 3 slots but with how many of the players appear to be in favor of it I don't see why to advocate against it.
I'd feel pretty bad if GSC got included and my RBY brethren were cut off from the tournament scene. It's already hard enough to watch how few events turnup for certain old gen lower tiers. If we considered taking out one of these two gens it wouldn't amount to much for the SS players.

I do find one argument interesting and it's the mention that many managers may not be able to single out the skilled players in GSC, due to their personal inexperience with this or even other formats.
I think a solution to this problem is to have tryouts before the draft, not unlike what happened in UUFPL (which were really fun by the way).
The playerbase is quite wide when it comes to GSC and RBY but I also understand how much of a hassle it would be for TOs and managers if for any reason the player pool were to prove small and without many opportunities to sub.

I 99% won't be joining but I do know that Holly, Diophantine, Estarossa, Amaranth are players who have either played in many GSC UU tournaments or in one of UUFPL or UUPL.
There are also Mr.378 and Leru who played in UUPL
Tenshinhan and Trevelion who reached semifinals in RoA olympics fwiw
LpZ who won the UU Classic cup and is really smart when it comes to GSC UU (could even work as a great support player)
I think even Raichy joined UUPL but I am not sure.
This is only a short list of players that dedicate a lot of time and that I interact a bit with when it comes to GSC underused, which can go further beyond that.
The even greater sign is that all the momentum that GSC UU has had this year with all the tournaments that have been hosted, has managed to get a lot of new faces invested into the tier because they realize it's a really fun tier. I've heard arguments that GSC is quite "stally" but my retort is that in UU stall is far from perfect which helps the meta feel completely balanced.

My conclusion is that 10 slots should be what we go with.
Excuse how poorly written this was but I've been writing from my bed at 10pm which, in my state of mind currently, is like 2am.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Hi, so, after a lot of internal discussion & people giving their thoughts here, we've put this up to a survey/poll. This isn't entiiiiirely binding especially if the results are close but odds are we'll be going with whatever's most popular.

https://forms.gle/fxqqCua51WZoCxB98

I'm going to tag anyone who's played at least 4 games (3 for UUWC) of their respective tier within the past year of tournaments, but this is open to the public. It'll be up for about 48 hours so be sure to get your replies in quickly. Thanks!

Given we've somehow had issues with this before I'll be verifying all the votes and infracting any attempts to cheat it. Don't do that, please.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hi, so, after a lot of internal discussion & people giving their thoughts here, we've put this up to a survey/poll. This isn't entiiiiirely binding especially if the results are close but odds are we'll be going with whatever's most popular.

I'm going to tag anyone who's played at least 4 games (3 for UUWC) of their respective tier within the past year of tournaments, but this is open to the public. It'll be up for about 48 hours so be sure to get your replies in quickly. Thanks!

Given we've somehow had issues with this before I'll be verifying all the votes and infracting any attempts to cheat it. Don't do that, please.
Thank you for the tag lily i responded

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

responded, thanks for tag

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Went ahead and did this as well :psyglad:

I don't wanna get super lengthy with my post cause I'm not particularly fond of the competitiveness vs inclusivity debate and most people who posted before me have already summed up the bulk of it (it's all subjective, by the way), but personally I think it is in the UU community's best interest to build a bridge with the RBY UU players (which honestly I had no fucking idea there were so many of lmao, or maybe it's just a vocal minority, I don't really know) and this seems like a very good opportunity to do so with very little risk involved.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

I think you posted the results on UU official Discord but can you post it here too?

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Forgot to do this yesterday so ty pif for the reminder:

Blue = 8 slots: SS, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV, GSC
Red = 8 slots: SS, SS, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV
Yellow = 10 slots: SS, SS, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV, GSC, RBY
Green = 10 slots:SS, SS, SS, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV, GSC

Hard to argue with numbers like that, so the format for this tournament is going to be 10 slots: SS, SS, SS, SM, ORAS, BW, DPP, ADV, GSC, RBY. Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)