UU Stats: August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
SubPass Mienshao is indeed very, very good. Stone Edge and HJK is all it needs-and a Shaymin for Gligar/Slowbro for example. Sub on the switch, then pass your Subto Shaymin, and now Shaymin most likely has a Substiute up, which is really deadly. Easily the best momentum gainer I've ever used. Try it out guys.

Also, on Sceptile, Earthquake hits Darmanitan and Arcanine and Victini hard as well-not just Raikou as well as grounded steels like Aggron however rare it is.
Alternatively you can run HP Ice to completely demolish Gligar and U-turn out of Slowbro into Shaymin, who really doesn't care about anything Slowbro can do to it. Also, hilarious has a point. Anything offensive swapping into Mienshao stands a good chance against Shaymin too.

^ Shaymin is just a random example. Perhaps something like Raikou or Zapdos would be a better example; I have used SubPass Mienshao with Zapdos to great effect, and it definitely manages to grab momentum like nobody's business. Biggest drawback is that it's something of a liability late-game, but it's definitely a good way to get an early lead in a match.

Also, Shaymin does indeed care about Slowbro Fire Blast, 50.4% - 59.8% to the standard offensive set from 0 SpA Slowbro. Pretty sure that's a bit of a wake-up call if you get predicted.

Ambipom... is only decent at best. I mean yeah, it can hit pretty hard, but it's really predictable and not hard to beat at all. Mienshao still hits harder overall, and is a superior "free damage" Poke. Yes, Ambipom is better against specific targets and fares better against Ghosts, but overall it's inferior to Mienshao in almost every concievable way.

Zapdos AND Raikou both routinely use Substitute on their threatening sets as well (SubRoost and SubCM respectively), but whatever. I use Mienshao for its high damage yield after ghosts and Gligar are gone, so I would naturally have a different opinion.

Didn't run the calcs for FB against Shaymin, that IS surprising.

Mienshao doesn't get very much free damage is the problem, because of that piss-weak Fake Out. It also gets outsped by some things it really needs to hit, like Cobalion switching into Fake Out or U-Turn. *shrugs*

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ah yes, Cobalion the Mienshao counter. Sounds like a plan.

Anyway, Mienshao is really good. Fake Out... is not. Ambipom is not entirely outclassed by Mienshao, but I guarantee you there isn't a single team where Ambipom is used that couldn't be improved by replacing Ambipom with something--not necessarily Mienshao. It's just not a good Pokemon.

That is all.

Lol, yeah, Cobalion was a horrible idea, but I'm serious when I say that nobody uses HJK on Mienshao when I have a ghost on my team, so not that horrible. Then OHKO with anything straight back, or SD on the switch out.

You have a good point on Ambipom, because there are so many things that teams need more than a scouter in BW. It's never been a bad Pokemon, just not good enough.

Still, let's see how the Research Week goes with my Ambi/Missy offensive core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)