Tournament UUPL IX Finals [Won by Mikan Island Monsters]

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tournament Rules and General Guidelines
- Best of 3 tiers include SS UU, SM UU and ORAS UU. Both players can decide what tier to play first, and if they can't agree, then the first tier will default to SS UU. Loser picks the tier after that.
- Liepard and Riolu are banned from BW UU
- Baton Pass is banned from BW UU, DPP UU, and ADV UU
- All standard tournament rules apply
- Good luck and have fun!

Finals

#2 Mikan Island Monsters (6) vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans (3)

SS UU: lax vs. Indigo Plateau
SS UU: Star vs. Cam
SS UU: col49 vs. Expulso
SM UU: Bushtush vs. Xiri
ORAS UU: Garay oak vs. Kink
BW UU: Punny vs. Amukamara
DPP UU: TonyFlygon vs. esche
ADV UU: Ark vs. JabbaTheGriffin
GSC UU: d0nut vs. Mr.378
Bo3: TDK vs. CBU

Deadline is Sunday the 9th at 10 pm Eastern

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Big thanks to Estarossa and Avarice for maintaining the replay and statistics thread this year.

Heading into the final week, let's look at the most recent UUPL game played by the gen8uu players in two measures, their level of innovation and their level of play.

Mikan Island Monsters vs. Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: lax vs. Indigo Plateau
Lax's last game was in the semifinals where he had a smooth but close victory after weakening two his opponent's Nihilego responses - Scizor, Krookodile, and Mew. Not sure if there was much innovation in the team but it was a good choice and some of the sets were likely not expected, such as Nasty Plot Mew and (I think) Choice Specs Nihilego. It was a long game despite both teams being bulky offense, so lax at th every least demonstrates good stamina for these marathons.

Ever growing in UU presence, IP's last game was much more recent just last week. He secured the Eterna Forest Veterans place in this tournament by a couple of nice tricks like Poison Jab Leftovers Kommo-o as well as a Starmie. I liked the (presumed, I didn't speak to him) thought process on turn 22. He could have easily Ice Beamed Zarude for a major advantage, but he seemed to want to keep counterplay to minimum and let his opponent attack with Lycanroc later. Plus he noticed Starmie had basically no switch ins so it was able to secure a 100% victory by turn 34 which IP found and converted without issue.

SS UU: Star vs. Cam
Teleport Future Sight Mew was featured by Star this time although he didn't need that innovation for a very strong match up. He did well to win as his opponent didn't prepare for Rotom-H properly. Milotic was a nice touch I think as a bulky water that could keep the Volt-Turn momentum up. Considering I think Slowbro-Galar's Calm Mind sets are borderline broken, I do give Star extra respect for beating it handily and it's actually games like these which make me think Slowbro-Galar isn't actually broken - it opens up a nasty Ghost weakness and doesn't have quite enough Special Defense. But yeah, good job to Star.

Cam played a nice game in the semifinals although he ended up losing. I'd like to think it was a big brain moment when he waited a turn to Toxic on turn 31 (instead of turn 30) to bait the Will-o-Wisp so Toxic wouldn't Synchronize. I don't know about getting his Zarude burned early on but that's something easier to criticize in retrospect. Using Choice Band Zarude and AV Reuniclus when AV Slowbro-Galar is more popular means he gets the innovation check mark from me and I don't think he played poorly, as the Hydro Pump misses he had at the end could easily have cost him the game.

SS UU: col49 vs. Expulso
Col49 is coming off a loss from week 7 - he can hardly be blamed considering he brought Tapu-Bulu into 5 grass resists and his whole team basically got outsped and OHKOd by Thunduruss after a boost. Moltres has a good match up but that was basically it. I wouldn't blame the builder of the team though, these things just kind of happen as Pokemon is very much a luck game, not just in hax, but in match up as well. You might take a point off from play because he didn't do a fairly obvious and necessary double on turn 18.

Expulso...has not played a single UUPL game yet? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find any of his games. If this is true, this is what I absolutely love about the Vets. I was discussing with one of their players and they told me they much rather have UU players on the team rather than people who just happen to be very talented at Pokemon. Expulso is obviously a long time UU player - here's his most recent UUFPL game which he won.

He correctly identifies a large weakness to Lucario on his own team early on so he happily risks Florges health for major damage on it, to prevent free set up. He then makes either a brilliant or fortunate play by healing Florges in on a Glalie that could have easily killed it. He didn't manage to get a Swampert sweep despite his opponent brazenly not bringing a Water resist but the damage is done to Swampert, which allows him to cleanly sweep with Metagross. I wouldn't say anything was particularly innovative on his team - perhaps Pursuit on Leftovers Metagross is new though - but he did impress me by playing very accurately. Actually, this is close to a perfectly played game in my view which I don't say lightly.

SM UU: Bushtush vs. Xiri
Not writing old gens but sorry Bushtush for showing your loss in my highlights last week. Here, let's all admire your win in the semifinals: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-557234. Standard team but no complaints from the play.

ADV UU: Ark vs. JabbaTheGriffin
I don't have the bandwith to write a description for the old gens but wow former TL JabbaTheGriffin is back. I really want to do work preserving history of UU - I know I've been saying that for two years with nothing to show, but still, this guy's an artifact. Players like him inspire me to keep youthful "zoomer" energy.

Bo3: TDK vs. CBU
Speaking of UU tier leaders, TDK now co-holds that title and is coming off a rather strong 2-0 victory over Mindnight in week 7. In the gen8uu game, he started with a sketchy match up as his opponent used Rotom-H but after he was able to eliminate that (potentially with hax? I didn't consult any player to write this), the game went smoothly. There's no brilliant turn to point to but he seemed to play quite accurately and took the chance his opponent gave him after a poor Pain Split from Mindnight on turn 7. I'm a fan of TDK's selected U-Turn strategy and his team clearly made innovations for him with Future Sight Slack Off Slowbro-Galar.

CBU of course is one of the most storied UU players of the past few years. He was denied a chance to manage a UUPL team despite winning the tournament last year and his team was last in the power rankings. When I started UU, I wasn't particularly popular for a lot of reasons, some of which my own, and people in positions of power bullied me. While I wouldn't comment on whether CBU has been bullied by anyone, I imagine he certainly feels like he's coming under attack by how many times he mentioned people tried to "cancel" him. He says that like a badge of honor.

I mention my experiences because I know for me, it was highly motivating for me (as a young teen) to be able to fight against players who I didn't particularly like. I don't think CBU dislikes TDK but I think he wants to give a "middle finger" so to speak against the authorities who designed UUPL this year. TDK/Monsters is not really the target, rather it's individuals in the community spectating.

I'd also add that CBU seems to have a much bigger friend group than I have/ever did and of course this is a group tour, which can lead to very powerful group think behavior. All of this is to say really just ironic one point: despite trying to distance himself from UU community by leaving council, I very much would guess nobody else wants more than CBU to win this UU tournament.

Here's his win vs Robjr in tiebreaks last week (that most people predicted he would lose, probably only adding his "under siege" mental state: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-558354.

Last edited:

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
0 predix finals is absurd

#2 Mikan Island Monsters (6) vs. #4 Eterna Forest Veterans (4)

SS UU: lax vs indigo plateau - lax is a very good player, a common theme on the monsters. don't know how much he's kept up w/ playing in general, let alone ss uu but i'm sure he'll be more than competent. indigo plateau johned and then DODGED me in uupl, sacrificing poor notily in his place. i trust noncaring chad who loads whatever from a selection of pokepastes vs virgin dodging ip any day.
SS UU: star vs cam - little 3k cam vs vs towering giant flinchmaster. cam is 3-2 & i'm sure cares a lot, whereas again star probably just loads whatever he is passed that looks good. think the skill gap here is wide but UUs so good i'm sure he can make up for it in the builder. just checked and cams last uupl game was over 2 weeks ago, so hopefully he's kept up his drive for it in that gap.
SS UU: col49 vs expulso - predicting the arguable upset here in the MU, expulso has mildly emerged from his cocoon since being relieved of his bolded banner, with slam going well & getting on to midwest bench. on the other end big perennial bench fiend building god collegiate49 stands, and he'll load something predictably offbeat and good. good luck colgate, think it goes the other way tho.
SM UU: bushtush vs xiri - both of these guys and have had pretty acceptably good tours, and they're probably about as opposite of people as i can think of. innocent sweet xiri vs string cheese build tush, good vs evil. idk who i would say the better player is or even in smuu too but i have faith in the hero to prevail.
ORAS UU: garay oak vs kink - steadily improved over the years garay vs absolute wild dog kink who just grabs wins when he wants them. i think this game will be honestly terrible LOL but nonetheless i think kink wins. i've helped garay with tests a fair amount this tour and he usually loads goods and plays good, but i think that is almost like, bad vs kink. good luck both!!!!
BW UU: punny vs amukamara - punny is really, really good at pokemon. getting 25 points in slam before losing to the best LC player of all time, wildly unheard of stuff. amukamara on the other hand reminds me of feliburn in ru, absolutely heralded beyond belief in his own community but not as much in the broader scene. the people who see you most arguably know best though, and i'm pretty sure bwuu is his favorite UU too? either way the sheet tells me punny is 5-3 and i swear i've never seen him go worse than like 7-2 in these subforum tours so maybe more vulnerable, idk.
DPP UU: tonyflygon vs esche - there was once a time i had no faith in my fellow 2-7 snake 1 ruer, when he then went 0-4 in the next snake given crushingly good MUs vs ajna and co. w/ my help. but this is different, because it feels like esche quite literally mains DPP UU. i feel like i see him associated with the tier more than legit anyone else, besides maybe tomahawk??? either way his knowledge & comfort in the tier is probably unmatched. as good as tonebone is, i saw him first hand give away a uupl win to chillshadow out of spite and i think karma will own him here. very untony-esque.
ADV UU: ark vs jabbathegriffin - i am not going to pretend to know a god damn thing about the next 2 tiers, though the sheet tells me they're comparable in records. ark seems fine at pokemon, jabba does too. idk dude. adv is a killer gen and UU is no exception so i hope it's good.
GSC UU: d0nut vs mr.378 - similar setup record wise to the tush/xiri bout, going with the sheet underdog this time. i have absolutely no reason for this beyond seeing d0nut play live a couple of times and he seemed to know what he was doing and looked competent. for all i know 378 could blast him into space, i don't have much basis here. this predict would technically decide the series in my predict universe but w/e. fuck ip
Bo3: tdk vs cbu - huge goat carson vs underappreciated talent cbu. im pretty sure these guys played for an open and cbu prevailed, but i'm still trusting the king of uu stall vs the king of weird teams and clicks, as much as I vouch for weird teams in this climate. cbu could, similarly to 378, absolutely smash here but i think carson brings his A-game and pulls it out in a fun 3 series. almost assuredly the best/most cool matchup in finals.

-uugm

edit: my friends have very angrily informed me donny p plays the most dpp uu ever, more than esche, and i should feel bad.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-560340

Won, gg

I would like to clarify that pif does not include me as part of the tournament virgins group because I have sex.

Oh dear, I apologize to your team, I didn't mean to say your team was full of tournament virgins. I just meant UUPL players in general. I hope I didn't "ruffle any feathers" so to speak. Still rooting for the Vets but good luck to you both.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
ggs monsters, you guys were in very good shape throughout & definitely deserve the dub

thanks to Amukamara & CBU for entrusting me with ss this year, sucks losing in finals on a 50 after a good season but I had more fun than I thought I would in this tier. also would be rude of me not to thank Accelgor Adaam Freeroamer Lilburr for tests/feedback at different times, you made this slightly more enjoyable for me lol. & lastly s/o to the rest of my teammates, we had a very rough first 4 weeks but I’m glad we pushed on & got this far

CBU

Banned deucer.
This is not the s/o post I envisioned doing at the start of the season but I suppose you can't win them all. Was originally going to fill up this post with sarcastic comments and memes but I'd rather talk seriously for once. I am officially the first manager in UUPL history to win the whole thing and not be given my team back. Thanks to the immediate action of my brother Liam we were able to fix that and not let the vets fall in incompetent hands. Cant say I was shocked. I worked my way out of this situation in SPL once already so the plan b was clear. I would like to thank all the original vets who shielded me from all the negativity by demanding that I would come back and manage them even in this capacity when I was with 1.5 feet out of UU for good. Because at the end of the day it isn't about who the public wants to see manage a team; it is about who that team acknowledges as a leader and nothing will change that; not this year, not any year.
That being said, we started the season as the defending champions and our performance collectively was dogshit. I suppose I shouldn't have said that the plan was to not make IP the MJ of UUPL. Anyhow, I'm really proud of the effort you all put in to take us from second to last after Week4 to competing for the entire tour now. So yeah, heads high boys we gave it our all and we just came up a little bit short. Oh well...
LLH TMM dingbat : I'm really happy we got to take this journey together and thankful you accepted the lesser role given to you w/o complaining.You helped whenever and wherever you could w/o being promised nothing and that means a lot to me and everyone else. You are the unsung heroes of this run.
Amukamara : Thank you for agreeing to go through the hoops you did to get me back as a manager when you didn't have to.I would have taken the player role under your management gladly, since I'd put my tournament life in your hands any day. We tried bro, I'm proud of what we accomplished together and I hope you are too. Until next year...
Indigo Plateau : Well...shit idk what to tell you thatI haven't already said privately. You led the team through playing and came in clutch time and time again. One turn in 9 weeks doesn't make or break a season. You are amongst the greatest people I've met and one the best teammates anyone can ask for. I love you bro, I'm sorry we couldn't get you the 3rd one.
Mr.378 : I know you hold yourself to a high standard but know that w/o you we wouldn't have been in these finals to begin with. I'm really happy we got to team up again and proud of your run yet again. We will be back stronger dw
esche : Aight love, I'm 45% sorry i shit on your ungen all the time but I can love you w/o loving what you play I suppose. I appreciate everything you did for the team, even sliding yourself to other tiers because we needed to cover up holes. You are amazing and one day i know you will see the light and play with preview :(
Xiri : Idt there is much else to say here. You had the best record on the team and carried on your back time and time and time again. I'm incredibly happy we got to team up and I really hope we get to do it again. S/o my degenerate schedule allowing me to catch you awake and un-s/o to me for not forcing you to absol.
Kink : You were legitimately the first person I actively looked up to when I started playing. I know we never had the mentor student relationship but for everything you have given to this tier I feel honest respect; and thats a word I rarely use anymore in anything UU related. I'm sorry we couldn't win this together. We had fun tho; hope you stick around for more.
JabbaTheGriffin : [insert joke about CALLOUS wife] I'm really glad we got to know each other during SPL; it really made me wanna team up with you again even more A.A. boys stand up. I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about ADV but I know that for someone to be a self proclaimed retired man you gave it your all in the prep and during the game. You're insane; didn't ask for a sub during your honeymoon ffs. Nothing more to say, I hope you stay around and our paths cross again even tho you are pushing 50.
SilvioGuacamole : There is nothing I want to say here. I hope one day you read this and I pray whatever you are doing you are fine. I miss you...
basaninho : You are the sole reason people don't take me seriously when I clown baguettes man gdi. Anyhow, you know how I feel about you and we have been over this already. I'm happy to see you improve and succeed and I'm sorry we couldn't go back to back together. Head high, keep getting better... Also fuck Mindnight
Cam : It would appear we are awfully creative on the builder semi drunk at 3a.m. lad. You were a 3k buy that came in and saved our dying SS slot. Big props and I am pretty sure your score doesn't say the full story cause I can count 1-2 games that you won in a fair world. Anyhow, this s/o is basically for your dogs anyway so keep posting pics of them they are so adorable i would reform if they asked me to. Stay winning bro, you did great!
Expulso : How I feel about you stopped mattering when you actively went out of your way to help the team in any way you could.I respect that. You also clutched in finals w/o getting a chance earlier, which basically says a lot more about me and my LUs than you. Anyhow, I appreciate your commitment to the cause.Thank you.
Lastly everyone else that joined the server to provide help after the regular season: PinkDragonTamer Raichy Donphantastic Draphirion Mindnight Ramolost I'm really thankful you were willing to help us w/o any sort of personal motive. You were amazing, except for PDT. Fuck PDT.
And yeah that's it I suppose. Depressing ending to a pretty hyped season and probably saddest GO VETS of my life but we tried and we will be back. Be proud of what we achieved boys, cause I know I am...

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another year, another fantastic UUPL between two powerhouse teams - alas we keep a timeless tradition going; and so the Battlegirls lose to the monsters agai-what was that? I wasn’t playing for the Battlegirls? Then who was I playing for? I was playing for the vets? Oh... so my poor playoff performance wasn’t overshadowed by my teams overall performance? Oh. Well then who was my manag-CBU and Liam. CBU and Liam? Did they run out of people to manage? CBU brought this team to the finals? Without my help? I lost both of my playoff games? Oh. So I was carried by a team CBU and Liam built? Wait, then what happened to the Battlegir-oh my god.

Another year, another humbling experience as I was surrounded by truly wonderful people. I never got the chance to team with CBU before and it was a damn pleasure. CBU, Amukamara, Indigo Plateau, esche, thank you for your poise and leadership throughout this tour. CBU and Liam, you were wonderful to play for and I hope to do this with you again. Cam you’ve solidified yourself as a solid player in my eyes and you’re a great guy. JabbaTheGriffin teaming with a true old-guard was fun. You’re different than I pictured and I’m glad I got to know you better. Congrats on the wedding big buy. Mr.378 it was good to get to know you as well. Thanks for being so welcoming to me. Accelgor I still have no idea what your role was on the team but you’re an old friend and a super guy. It was fun spending time with you. dingbat thanks for being a truly amusing presence and someone I could be nostalgic with. basaninho, Xiri, you guys are solid and good people, Xiri let’s win NUPL and avenge our UU comrades, basa let’s keep testing for years to come. Expulso, LLH, TMM, Notily, and the rest of our team, thank you for everything. You are all champions to me!

To my teammates, thank you for the triumphs and precious new memories. To my former opponents, now champions, congratulations on a successful season and well done. Stay sharp; I’m reclaiming my team next year which means we’ll see you again in the finals.

love u all
- kink

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey all, just want to give a huge shoutout to Lilburr for doing the spreadsheet and all the extra help she did at the beginning of the season. And thank the managers as well for helping the season run (mostly) smoothly. Congratulations to the Monsters for a well deserved win and hats off to the Veterans for making the finals a good one!

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey Vets, thanks for giving me a shot. sorry my season fell off a goddamn cliff and i was slower to adjust than my opponents. nice getting to know a lot of the new guard. cbu, somehow we interacted more in uupl than when we were on the same spl team, but you're a really cool guy and thanks for the nice words after my post-game malds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)