Tournament UUPL VIII - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Tournament Rules and General Guidelines
- Best of 3 tiers include SS UU, SM UU and ORAS UU. Both players can decide what tier to play first, and if they can't agree, then the first tier will default to SS UU. Loser picks the tier after that.
- Liepard and Riolu are banned from BW UU
- Baton Pass is banned from BW UU, DPP UU, and ADV UU
- All standard tournament rules apply
- Good luck and have fun!

Semifinals:

Camphrier Town Ladies (6) vs. (4) Canalave City Clowns

SS UU: Saria vs. Luthier
SS UU: col49 vs. martha
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. solonor24
SM UU: Christo vs. Empo
ORAS UU: Santu vs. Eternal Spirit
BW UU: r0ady vs. Lopunny Kicks
DPP UU: H.M.N.I.P vs. Thiago Nunes
ADV UU: Heysup vs. Bouff
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. HSA
Bo3: Adaam vs. lax

Eterna Forest Veterans (5) vs. (5) Mikan Island Monsters

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna
SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos
SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK
SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah
ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay oak
BW UU: Stone_Cold vs. FLCL
DPP UU: esche vs. Eo Ut Mortus
ADV UU: Raichy vs. ict
GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut
Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon

Semifinal Tiebreak:

Eterna Forest Veterans (0) vs. (0) Mikan Island Monsters
SS UU: Accelgor vs. Ajna
ORAS UU: CBU vs. Garay oak
GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut

Deadline will be Friday, May 15th at 11:59 PM GMT-4

Deadline will be Sunday, May 10th at 11:59 PM GMT-4

It's been a long 7 weeks to get here, so do yourselves a favor and make your games this week your best performances yet. Tensions may run a little high now that we're in playoffs, but do your best to keep the negative emotions locked away and keep the positive feelings going. I look forward to seeing some high quality games from everyone, and I hope everyone, competitors and spectators alike, have a good time this week. Good luck, have fun, and have a good night to everyone!​

Last edited:

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
predicts oo

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna (70-30)

I favor ajna's experience here. basa's gotten a lot better, and his recent stour runs have proven that he's a diverse and capable player, but i'm favoring one of the better lower tier players in recent memory in this matchup.

SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos (60-40)

Kush has more overall tournament pedigree, but IP's been on an absolute tear this tour. He's proven to have a firm grasp on the meta, more so than a wide majority of players in this pool.

SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK (51-49)

Accel's recent form has been marginally better, but tdk has been slightly unlucky in his games as a whole. closest game of the series by far.

SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah (55-45)

PDT loves SM and knows the meta like the back of his hand, whereas suapah is a more experienced player as a whole. pdt's tendency to rely on his patented offenses could be exploited here, but this is again a phenomenal matchup between one of the best up-and-coming mainers on site and one of the top overall tournament players.

ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay oak (60-40)

I favor garay's playing far more and his building/teams in ORAS have been solid as well. if dingbat can eke an edge in the builder he can definitely take this, but if he doesn't garay will likely win.

BW UU: Stone_Cold vs. FLCL (75-25)

surprising to see dave here honestly. he's a phenomenal dpp player, but having amukamara on the bench is slightly surprising to say the least. i favor fooly by a profound degree in a preview generation.

DPP UU: esche vs. Eo Ut Mortus (60-40)

Eo's builds have been super fun to watch, as he's won with both flair and tactical precision. esche is a solid dpp uu slot, but i favor experience in the builder and a generally higher playing floor with Eo here.

ADV UU: Raichy vs. ict (60-40)

i'm incredibly high on ict as a whole. i think he's one of the better lower tier players on site, as i've faced the brunt of his patented aggression. however, adv uu is raichy's domain, and ict's motivation with no real support behind him could be a question mark here. i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for ict to take this, but i expect raichy to win.

GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut (55-45)

378's bossed this tour, but d0nut's overall tournament experience awards him an edge here.

Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon (60-40)

CBU's been on the warpath this tour, and while tony's honestly mastered SS fairly quickly, i'm favoring the 6-1 record here. I think CBU has a firm edge in SM, a marginal edge in SS, and the two are tied in oras.

Tiebreak:

SS UU: Ajna vs Indigo Plateau (55-45)

I'm going with the hot hand. Ajna's pretty close to unstoppable at his peak, and tony+tdk support is enough in the builder to where i'd favor him versus the entire pool.

SM UU: TDK vs CBU (55-45)

CBU's current dominance means that even the most seasoned tour players are no exception.

DPP UU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Accelgor (55-45)

Realistically, accel should be slotted into any oldgen that the monsters could choose. I wouldn't be surprised to see BW or ORAS here, but they're both tiers where accel would conceiveably maintain a building edge over FLCL/Garay. In DPP, however, Eo maintains a building edge, albeit not a massive one. Accel's dpp is solid, and one assumes that he's played an active role in the vets' dpp building, so it would be largely foolish to count him out of this hypothetical. regardless, eo is more experienced and should have a slight edge here.

let's get this money clowns.

odr

kickin incredibly dope shit
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Unfortunately everyone's favorite team, the friends, are out, and so now my only role in this tournament is to provide entertainment via predicts.

Camphrier Town Ladies (4) vs. (6) Canalave City Clowns

SS UU: Saria vs. Luthier - Hikari has really impressed me with his play this tour despite his record and has a tons of experience and meanwhile Luthier imports all his mons into the calc at level 5.

SS UU: col49 vs. martha - UGH Martha is my girl but col49 is gonna invest EVs into every stat on all his mons just to do it. This guy invented the phrase "ev spread." It's gonna come into play too when something lives on 2 hp seemingly randomly but col49 was actually planning it all out to happen exactly this way from the start.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. solonor24 - Heat matchup between 2 up and comers trying to make a name for themselves in this tier. I hate to inflate solonor's ego but I can't bring myself to bold someone who doesn't run adamant nature on their escavalier so solonor gets it by default.

SM UU: Christo vs. Empo - I expect Christo to be poking his voodoo dolls during the game trying to force Empo to choke but little does he know that Empo has the plot armor doesn't lose in SM OU and this will carry over to UU as well.

ORAS UU: Santu vs. Eternal Spirit - Hot matchup. Gama is good and Santu has been on a hot streak from what I've seen so I'll favor him here.

BW UU: r0ady vs. Lopunny Kicks - Don't really know r0ady tbh but Lop kicks is a real solid player and he will be difficult to beat when he's playing well, which i expect him to do in a high-stakes semifinal.

DPP UU: H.M.N.I.P vs. Thiago Nunes - This guy picked up DPP UU with zero experience and went positive in the regular season oml how can i not root for him (and he's also on my pspl team tysm for playing ubers for us nobody on this earth knows that tier).

ADV UU: Heysup vs. Bouff - I love the Bouffer but Heysup invented UU Oldgens so i shall favor him in this one.

GSC UU: Zokuru vs. HSA - I don't know shit about this tier but HSA is 7-0 so he is rewarded with his name in bold.

Bo3: Adaam vs. lax - Slurp my balls Adaam

Eterna Forest Veterans (3) vs. (5) Mikan Island Monsters

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna - Ajna is more into this tier than RU believe it or not so he's gonna tryhard and knowing him as well as i do means i literally cannot bold against him.

SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos - Kush has been struggling pretty hard in this tour and IP seems to have a good grasp on the meta. I could totally see Kush taking it but I'll favor IP here.

SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK - I wish to be spammed with pings when this game happens please I want to watch it live and if i miss it i will actually cry.

SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah - I would literally never bold against pdt he's so fire oml I really have nothing else to say.

ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay Oak - Garay is very good and consistent and meanwhile digngbat seems like kindve an oddball to me. I'll go with the player I know better here.

BW UU: Stone_Cold vs. FLCL - FLCL is very good and consistent and meanwhile Dave tried to prankster yawn a dark type in SS today lol.

DPP UU: esche vs. Eo Ut Mortus - esche is good but Eo bring really cool and creative shit and i always root for the cool sets and teams to win.

ADV UU: Raichy vs. ict - Raichy is a decent player and ict is also really good but doesnt seem like he really cares in this tour and lost a game turn 2 because he brought baton pass so I'll favor Raichy.

GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut - I don't know either of these players and I also don't know this tier so I'm just not gonna bother sorry.

Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon - Heat matchup. Both players are very solid but i saw Tony do some unholy shit with a scarf Toxicroak and a dream yesterday and if he can win a game from that position how could I ever doubt him.

Best of luck to everyone, I hope to see some exciting games and hot techs :3

Last edited:

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Gonna limit myself to the BO3 tiers since I'm mostly clueless about what happens in the older ones

SS UU: Saria vs. Luthier - I love luthier but he's struggled a bit this tour. Hikari doesn't have the most impressive record either, but he's shown that his playing instincts are still as good as ever. I'm expecting Luthier to roll up with something unorthodox and put up a great fight but ultimately fall short in a close one.
SS UU: col49 vs. martha - Pretty similar as above. Martha has definitely shown potential in their games vs Freeroamer and Ajna and there's no shame in falling short versus that caliber of players in your first tour. Sadly, col49 definitely belongs in that echelon of players as well. Since there's an actual incentive for him to get this game done given that it's playoffs and everything, I'm fully expecting him to combine his experience, EV wizardry and knack for building uniquely synergetic teams to take this one.
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. solonor24 - This should be a really cool one between two up-and-comers. I don't know too much about either, but I've been most impressed by GXE's out of the box thinking (Inner Focus Umbreon, the infamous Escav) so I'll slightly favor him.
SM UU: Christo vs. Empo - Insane matchup that can only be described as an unstoppable force meeting an immoveable object. Christo is no doubt one of the best UU players in history and he's in his favorite sandbox here. Empo has been on an absolutely historical tear and it feels wrong not to predict for him after what he's been doing in SPL and ST. However, I think that Christo has a slight edge by virtue of a more intimate knowledge of the tier.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. Eternal Spirit - Another very interesting matchup between two experienced tour players. Gama won a cool slow burner in the regular season thanks to some fortunate RNG. Santu has flown under the radar for a while I feel, but his increased consistency has really made him a formidable player to face. Everyone knows who Gama is at this point and I believe that he has one more crazy Brazilian magician's trick up his sleeve to surprise Santu, provided that he gets a more proactive team than in their first go-around.
Bo3: Adaam vs. lax - It's really one incredible matchup after another in this series as we get a replay of the most recent Slam finals here. There really isn't enough between these two players to separate them, so I'm picking Adaam based on his dominant 6-1 regular season record.

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna - I would've bolded basaninho against every other Monster because he gives me strong dark horse vibes. Unfortunately, Ajna is one of the best lower tier players on the site and he's looked every bit the part this tour. basaninho has managed to cruise to victory pretty comfortably in both of his UUPL games so far thanks to massive early game / matchup advantages so it will be interesting to see how he fares in what will presumably be a close one.
SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos - Probably not a sane prediction given how good IP has looked in this tour, whereas Kushalos is definitely approaching crust territory. However, there's still enough of Clutchalos left in his body to edge this one out I think.
SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK - Highlight game between two players who have faced some struggles in the regular season, both ending with negative records. TDK crushed Accelgor in their regular season bout and while I'm definitely expecting a closer game, I think the outcome stays the same. Accelgor has mostly limited himself to tried and true balance structures and TDK should be able to find a more creative way to exploit that. However, this becomes a completely different story if Accel manages to succesfully branch out a bit in the teambuilder. Given that both players are super solid at the playing aspect, I'm expecting that the chess game in the builder will prove to be the difference in this one.
SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah - PDT has proven himself to be a real playmaker and his games have been must-watches as a result. I've been really impressed both with his teambuilding capabilities (SS Eject Pack Torkoal is genius) as well as his willingness to pull triggers. suapah has also put in a great performance. He has enjoyed some favorable matchups (except that one time) and he's shown that he won't let up when he does. This one could really go either way but not predicting anyone is pretty boring so I'm going with the heatman.
ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay oak - dingbat is lowkey a crazy person going off some of the sets and builds he's brought to this tour. His results have been a bit of a mixed bag as a result. Meanwhile Garay Oak is mister consistency. He won their regular season encounter pretty handily and I think we will see an encore performance here.
Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon - This is as close to a toss-up as it gets. CBU has absolutely torn up this tour to the tune of a 6-1 record, but Tony's 4-2 is pretty hot too. Both are very solid players who will rarely make mistakes, but I think Tony is slightly more likely to squeak out of a dire situation and for that I give him a minor edge.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Camphrier Town Ladies (5) vs. (5) Canalave City Clowns

SS UU: Saria vs. Luthier - Predicting Hikari games is always a minefield because you're assuming his internet will be functional enough for him to start and complete the game, which by no means is a given. If his internet is playable, I think he will take this one as I've been more impressed with his play throughout the tour even when handed some bad matchups.
SS UU: col49 vs. martha - I want martha to win this one but I think col's experience in the game means if I'm staying unbiased I have to bold him here. Hoping to see him come up with something cool as he has done so plenty of times in other tiers.
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. solonor24 - I think if anyone in the SS pool defines wildcard this year, it's GXE. Some of it has been great, some of it has been a bit bewildering but maybe I just don't have the IQ to comprehend it. Solo represents a more consistent player to me and I feel like he will be keen to get back to a positive record after taking his first loss last week, so I'll give him the bold here.
SM UU: Christo vs. Empo - Very conscious that I'm starting to sound like Shake doing these, but there's no way I'm bolding against Christo in SM UU. Empo's current form in other tours is ridiculous but his UUPL has been a bit up and down, as well as committing the cardinal sin of SM UU stall (burning an unscouted Altaria) last week so I think Christo definitely has the edge here.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. Eternal Spirit - ES's wins have come against a pretty impressive roster of opponents, and he won the game between these two last time out so that's enough for me to favour him here as these two are very close otherwise.
BW UU: r0ady vs. Lopunny Kicks - Lop Kicks is doing better this tour and is generally a more accomplished player, so I think he has the edge.
DPP UU: H.M.N.I.P vs. Thiago Nunes - Mad props to Thiago for picking up DPP so quickly and coming out positive in such a tough pool, even if it did tail off in the last couple of games although he was definitely unlucky in one of those. Pietro is probably still mad that the only DPP game he has got to play so far this season was vs hail, so I'm gonna back him to bring everything he has to this one and take it.
ADV UU: Heysup vs. Bouff - A bit of an upset prediction maybe, but Heysup is on a bit of a lean streak at the moment while Bouff came through for his team when they needed him most last week so I'm gonna give him this one.
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. HSA - Not a lot to say here, HSA looks dominant and well on the way to being one of the best value picks ever.
Bo3: Adaam vs. lax - Difficult, I feel like the only notable edge is perhaps Adaam in ORAS, which he's probably played a ton more of than lax both historically and recently while they're both obviously great players. I'll bold him based off this and the fact that lax was given an SM team with those Starmie and Florges sets for a clutch game last week LOL.

Eterna Forest Veterans (5) vs. (5) Mikan Island Monsters

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna - basa has won both of his games in this UUPL which is very commendable, but I haven't seen enough from those games to make me bold him against Ajna, who's been an absolute force this tour.
SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos - IP will probably prep like a madman for this one to ensure his screens mu is playable after cheesing kush with it last time out. Time will tell if this leaves him weak to something else but I'll favour him cos he's had a great tour so far whereas Kush has only found his stride in the last few weeks.
SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK - The rematch. Accel has made no secret of being annoyed at how he played this one last time out so there's no doubt how up for this he is, as if there was anyway. Both have uncharacteristically struggled so far, but TDK's recent form is slightly better so I'll give him the smallest of edges.
SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah - pdt makes SM games entertaining to watch while winning consistently, which is honestly quite a feat. Suapah has had a nice tour since being put into action and showed in SPL he's quite a player, but I'll go for pdt to do his thing here.
ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay Oak - Hard not to just rinse and repeat what I said last time they played, dingbat has a lot of variance in terms of what he's using while Garay is more consistent, as well as having had the better tour thus far so I'll favour him here.
BW UU: Stone_Cold vs. FLCL - In my uneducated BW armchair opinion, I thought FLCL could've played better last week but he's still an incredible player and I don't really know how proficient Stone_Cold is in BW so yeah, I'm sure Accel will support him with a great squad but I think FLCL will take this one.
DPP UU: esche vs. Eo Ut Mortus - I don't know a lot about DPP UU, but knowing what I do about these guys in general I feel like there's the potential for two very unique teams to be on display here. Gonna go for Eo to execute his better as he's the more accomplished player.
ADV UU: Raichy vs. ict - Hard to know how much ict cares after the last couple of weeks while Raichy has been going along reasonably well and is a good player.
GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut - Tough one cos the only times I've watched 378 this season were against kaori and rozes, both of which was very fortunate in although I don't know enough about GSC to say whether he would've won anyway. That said it's pretty spectacular to be 6-1 with only loss to HSA so I'll favour him here, even though d0nut has had a good tour himself.
Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon - Close but I favour CBU to take SM and at least one of the other two, as I think that's where the biggest edge lies.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Eterna Forest Veterans (6) vs. (4) Mikan Island Monsters

SS UU: basaninho vs. Ajna - Ajna has been domming us UU mainers for 7 weeks now, proving that this tier is, in fact, easy man. Heavily favored here
SS UU: Indigo Plateau vs. Kushalos -
1588616438523.png

SS UU: Accelgor vs. TDK - TDK how were your finals
SM UU: PinkDragonTamer vs. suapah - Every SM game pdt has played I think damn this dude stole my team. But no, he just built the same 6 independently so he's clearly a genius.
ORAS UU: dingbat vs. Garay oak - dingbat will bring something totally crackhead analogous to max spdef scizor and surprise Garay as he calcs the standard set. He'll be so shook he timers out
BW UU: Stone_Cold vs. FLCL - I had Dave over for coffee the other day and we discussed the viability of Stealth Rock in each generation. After he brought no SR last week, CBU decided to put him in another gen where it isn't a necessity. I expect a dominant win here
DPP UU: esche vs. Eo Ut Mortus -
1588616897158.png

esche has died :pirate:
ADV UU: Raichy vs. ict - True story: at the local YMCA Raichy and I were on the same intramural bball team. He'd pullup from 3 every time he got the ball but only make like 20% of them. That kind of confidence translates perfectly to mons.
GSC UU: Mr.378 vs. d0nut - If HSA is the Magnus Carlsen of GSC UU, Mr.378 must be Anish Giri since he only lost to him. That fucking Pikachu...
Bo3: CBU vs. TonyFlygon - In the 1st century AD, Thetis dipped a man into the river Styx and gave rise to the greatest warrior of our time. That man's name? CBU. Tony has been very good this tournament but a man can only do so much against a demigod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)