SV OU Valiant balance

This is my first post, and I found decent success with this team so here it is.

Let's start with the star of the show, iron valiant.

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt / psyshock
- Trick

Valiant is our breaker / late game cleaner since tera fairy moon last is so spamable, and like every good choice set I've put on trick so stop stall Mons in their tracks. T-bolt lets you hit corv but I prefer to run psyshock to hit amoongus and clod

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner
- Crunch
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

Chien is our physical hitter dealing with dengo, amoongus, and clod that valiant gets walled by.
Ice shard>sucker so they can't set up on suckers and ice spinner over crash for more accuracy as if it misses it gets Ohkoed.

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave
- Fiery Dance

Moth is another special hitter that can sweep with speed boosts and special boosts on an already incredibly high special stat. It's fire typing lets it deal with the steel types that resist valiant's moonblasts.
This set let's it wall clod sets without poison coverage since sub stops toxic and tera flying stops equake.

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Liquidation

Dondozo is phys wall countering half the tier with tera fairy to (hopefully ) deal with chi yu and I've got a standard curse rest talk set with liquidation > body press to still hit ghosts.

Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Recover

Clod is the special unaware wall to deal with the many special attackers of the tier including opposing valiants. It's got another standard set with spikes over SR since our next Mon has it anyways.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Dragon Tail
- Foul Play

Tyranitar hard counters chi yu with insane spdef in sand and resists the STAB combo. Fairy is an overall good typing if their's nothing it really need to check. Might change it's tera though so it doesn't tack sand damage.

Pokepaste
https://pokepast.es/0e7f5aae1488268d

And that's the team I would love any advice you could give. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey. Iron Valiant + Chien-Pao seems like an interesting pairing. Iron Moth though seems a bit out of place here as it's just kinda there. The lack of hazard control and no boots is rather troublesome as your balance core will not be able to take repeating switch ins. Tyranitar resisting both Chi-Yus stabs doesn't make much off a difference when it has to come in on rocks and spikes. Fighting Espathra looks very hard to deal with. Breloom is extremely annoying as your switch in is Iron Moth which doesn't take hits well at all, is weak to rocks and has no recovery. Finally Taunt Annihilape can be a bit scary, specially Fire as it can both lure Valiant into Moonblast and Drain Punch Chien-Pao, while beating down the defensive core. Some ideas I've been thinking off.
  1. HDB Skele > Iron Moth helps with Breloom and gives you an indirect way to help the team via Will-O-Wisp.
  2. Tera Dark on Clodsire helps with Espathra.
  3. SpDef Fairy Garganacl with Protect > Tyranitar. A more sturdy wall thanks to Recover that can chip the opposing team with Salt Cure.
  4. Slap boots on everything else not name Valiant (you can also try Leftis Garganacl).
  5. Note that once you Salt Cure the Ape you can just switch around your walls a bit, Protect with garg, waste a Taunt here and there waiting for it to get chipped down. Also if you tera Fairy Ape can't hit you for very hard, and you have a dark resist for Chi-Yu.
The other way you can try to go is add some sort of removal like Corvi > Ttar which would also give you a ground immunity, but might give Chi-Yu way too many chances to come in, might make Gholdengo hazards still rather awkward and be too passive compared to Salt Cure. SpDef Ting-Lu > Clodsire might also be nice as it takes Chi-Yus hits better, though it has no recovery.

Hope the changes, or at least the initial observations, can help a bit.

I've stuck tera dark on clod, and it definitely helped with the Espathra problem.I stuck Garganacl on the team and it has helped immensely. I felt skele was a bit redundant here since I never ran into breloom and moth cleaned most games and forced a forfeit and if I did put skele on the team, it would be more like stall. I did run into taunt annialape a few times but dondozo dealt with it fine.the biggest threat I'd say is scarf dengo, since the team has no good switching. Maybe tera water garg? Thanks for the help though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)