SM OU Venusaur-Mega Team

Hi guys. Im Nekroguy and now i gave a new team bassed on Mega Venusaur, one of my favorites pokemon and a really fun-to-play one. Megasaur brings to the teammany stability and balance, because of his great defenses and the ability thick fat to counter two of his weakness.

And here`s the team:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Here is the star of the team. This is Smogon`s recomended set and I have to say that is pretty useful. It resists hits from another powerful pokemon like Zard-Y and Volcarona pretty well. Giga drain helps Megasaur with some recovery because Synthesis has low PP. Sludge bomb is another powerful STAB move that hits all non-steel pokemon, HP fire for coverage against steel pokemons that resist another attacks from Megasaur. Here some calcs.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega in Sun: 176-210 (48.4 - 57.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 138-164 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 128-152 (35.2 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Most of problems of Megasaur becomes in psychic-type and flying-type pokemon. Then here comes the killer.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
Greninjash its an awesome pokemon that I really love. And when he transforms in Ash-greninja becomes a feary monster. With an STAB dark pulse destroys any psychic-type pokemon that can threat Megasaur. Hydro pump and Water shuriken are two STAB moves that destroy fire-type and earth-type pokemon that can hurt Megasaur. Ice beam is for flying-type pokemons like Hawlucha, Lando-T and others.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 582-686 (187.1 - 220.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 324-384 (104.1 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Latios: 456-536 (151.4 - 178%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 800-944 (209.4 - 247.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
Mimikyu its a pretty pokemon that threat Megasaur threats like Mega Medicham, Mega Alakazam and Tapu lele. Shadow claw is to punish psychic-type pokemon; shadow sneak for priority. Play rough to kill Latios and Latias, Garchomp, Zygarde and the powerfull Kyurem black. Sword dance because Mimikyu can boost his atk thanks to his Disguise ability.

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Drill Run
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
Man, I love this pokemon. Since the event was announced I really want to have it. Stone edge can destroy Volcarona, Zard Y and others; accelerock for priority. And lycanium Z to not fail that hit. Drill run can kill Heatran, Toxapex, non-flying non-bug fire-type pokemon, Excadrill and other steel-type pokemon that can annoy Megasaur. Sucker punch to punish faster pokemon and to ensure the kill.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Celesteela brings Megasaur a great coverage against physical and special flying-type and psychic-type attacks. It can stop Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha, Z fly Lando-T, Mega Medicham and more. Heavy slam hits Tapu lele for STAB and flamethrower to hurt steel-type pokemon like Skarmory, another Celesteela and Magneton.

Donphan @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
An awesome pokemon that`s much bulky and hits really hard. An adamant nature to gain physical damage for good. EQ hits hard many pokemon, knock off, rapid spin and SR to support the team, there are valuable moves every team must have.

Ok guys, What do you think of my team? Yeah, I now it can be improved and that`s the reason why I post it here. Please, Ill read all of your suggestions, enjoy the reading.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey Nekroguy! Mega Venusaur can definitely be a hard Pokemon to take down due to its bulk and ability given the right situations.

Let's talk about some issues that I can see without even looking at the sets.

Lycanroc-Dusk and Donphan see no usage in OU because they are severely outclassed by other Pokemon. They're both beat by a lot of commonly seen Pokemon in the current meta, such as Landorus-T, Kartana, and Mega Scizor. These two are definitely the weakest links of your team. Mimikyu feels out of place here because it only rarely sees usage in certain HO builds. Lastly, your team lacks a reliable form of speed control. With that being said, let's get into the rate.

~Threats~

Heatran is one of the tier's staples due to its incredible offensive and defensive utility. It exerts immense pressure on your team, being able to switch in pretty freely vs Venusaur and Celesteela. Greninja can only afford to take two Magma Storms and then nothing else is switching in without being heavily dented.

Volcarona doesn't even have to setup a QD to threaten your team, as similarly to Heatran, it gets to fire off Fire- type attacks pretty freely. Bug Buzz can OHKO Greninja on the switch if you predict incorrectly. Although you do have Lycanroc's priority, Volcarona can always switch out and come back in later to deal more damage. Dead Lycanroc = GG.

Zygarde variants can put in work against your team and are hard to play against due to their unpredictability. For example, if you predict CB and try to use Donphan to counter it, SubCoil can really screw you over. You have nothing outside of Mimikyu to hit it hard, which is incredibily easy to wear down due to Lando-T being everywhere.

If Venusaur isn't completely healthy, Ash-Greninja can pose a huge threat to your team. With Stealth Rock up, Ash-Gren has a 75% chance to 2HKO, and after Venusaur is gone, Ash-Gren is pretty free to spam its STAB attacks.

Toxapex does what Toxapex does best and just sits around against a vast majority of your team. Your primary ways of pressuring it are via Lycanroc and Donphan, both of which risk Scald burns.

Similar to Toxapex, Celesteela can be a nuisance for your team, as nothing can hit it super-effectively. With access to Heavy Slam and Leech Seed, it can wall all of your team with ease.

~Suggestions~

Let's replace the three weak members in your team and build to support Mega Venusaur as much as possible.

>

The first major change I would advise is replacing Donphan with Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

1) Choice Scarf gives you reliable speed control, which your team lacks, and helps you outspeed Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja, and Alakazam
2) Due to Intimidate, you also keep valuable defensive utility
3) Lastly, U-turn is always a great move to have, allowing you to safely bring other team members in

>

Now that you don't have Donphan as a Stealth Rocker, I felt it was right to replace Mimikyu with Clefable. You do miss out on some offensive presence, but Clefable:

1) Provides your team with Stealth Rock, which it can setup against all builds
2) Helps your team out against Zygarde and Ash-Gren (can't freely Dark spam)
3) Forms a sturdy defensive backbone with Venusaur and Celesteela

>

In order to give your team a good potential wincon, Zygarde is a better fit than Lycanroc-Dusk because:

1) It can threaten and setup on Toxapex and Celesteela, which are huge threats to your team
2) It's usually a good answer to Heatran as long as it's not Toxic'd
3) Provides your team with a good wincon and offensive presence

I'm making it SubDD with Lefties, but you can toy around with Z move as well.

Spikes > Ice Beam
Ice beam really isn't necessary here, as Hydro Pump will usually be hitting anything harder and is more spammable. Instead, I'd run Spikes in order to pressure opposing builds more and give Zygarde/Clefable a better shot at setting up.

~Conclusion~

Above you'll find the new team after the changes. The team has as sturdy defensive backbone of Venusaur + Celesteela + Clefable, which is effective at wearing down opposing builds to the point where one of your setup sweepers or Ash-Gren can clean up late game.

Overall, I do believe this team is more consistent than your initial version and better resembles Venusaur builds, but it still has its weaknesses. Heatran is still quite annoying if it's able to get a Toxic off on Zygarde, so try to play around it aggressively. A core of Pinsir + Magnezone can be threatening if Celesteela gets trapped. Volcarona can be annoying if it turns out to be Bug Z because it OHKOs Zygarde, but you don't see that set very often. Reuniclus can setup on your team if it surprises Ash-Gren on the switch with Focus Blast. Lastly, the stall matchup is hard, but luckily it's not too common anymore.

Test out the squad and let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to also make changes if you don't like something. Hope I was able to help & gl with the new team :toast:

Last edited:
Hey Nekroguy! Mega Venusaur can definitely be a hard Pokemon to take down due to its bulk and ability given the right situations.

Lycanroc-Dusk and Donphan see no usage in OU because they are severely outclassed by other Pokemon. They're both beat by a lot of commonly seen Pokemon in the current meta, such as Landorus-T, Kartana, and Mega Scizor. These two are definitely the weakest links of your team. Mimikyu feels out of place here because it only rarely sees usage in certain HO builds. Lastly, your team lacks a reliable form of speed control. With that being said, let's get into the rate.

~Threats~

Heatran is one of the tier's staples due to its incredible offensive and defensive utility. It exerts immense pressure on your team, being able to switch in pretty freely vs Venusaur and Celesteela. Greninja can only afford to take two Magma Storms and then nothing else is switching in without being heavily dented.

Volcarona doesn't even have to setup a QD to threaten your team, as similarly to Heatran, it gets to fire off Fire- type attacks pretty freely. Bug Buzz can OHKO Greninja on the switch if you predict incorrectly. Although you do have Lycanroc's priority, Volcarona can always switch out and come back in later to deal more damage. Dead Lycanroc = GG.

Zygarde variants can put in work against your team and are hard to play against due to their unpredictability. For example, if you predict CB and try to use Donphan to counter it, SubCoil can really screw you over. You have nothing outside of Mimikyu to hit it hard, which is incredibily easy to wear down due to Lando-T being everywhere.

If Venusaur isn't completely healthy, Ash-Greninja can pose a huge threat to your team. With Stealth Rock up, Ash-Gren has a 75% chance to 2HKO, and after Venusaur is gone, Ash-Gren is pretty free to spam its STAB attacks.

Toxapex does what Toxapex does best and just sits around against a vast majority of your team. Your primary ways of pressuring it are via Lycanroc and Donphan, both of which risk Scald burns.

Similar to Toxapex, Celesteela can be a nuisance for your team, as nothing can hit it super-effectively. With access to Heavy Slam and Leech Seed, it can wall all of your team with ease.

~Suggestions~

Let's replace the three weak members in your team and build to support Mega Venusaur as much as possible.

>

The first major change I would advise is replacing Donphan with Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

1) Choice Scarf gives you reliable speed control, which your team lacks, and helps you outspeed Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja, and Alakazam
3) Lastly, U-turn is always a great move to have, allowing you to safely bring other team members in

>

Now that you don't have Donphan as a Stealth Rocker, I felt it was right to replace Mimikyu with Clefable. You do miss out on some offensive presence, but Clefable:

>

In order to give your team a good potential wincon, Zygarde is a better fit than Lycanroc-Dusk because:

1) It can threaten and setup on Toxapex and Celesteela, which are huge threats to your team

Spikes > Ice Beam
Ice beam really isn't necessary here, as Hydro Pump will usually be hitting anything harder and is more spammable. Instead, I'd run Spikes in order to pressure opposing builds more and give Zygarde/Clefable a better shot at setting up.

~Conclusion~

Above you'll find the new team after the changes. The team has as sturdy defensive backbone of Venusaur + Celesteela + Clefable, which is effective at wearing down opposing builds to the point where one of your setup sweepers or Ash-Gren can clean up late game.

Overall, I do believe this team is more consistent than your initial version and better resembles Venusaur builds, but it still has its weaknesses. Heatran is still quite annoying if it's able to get a Toxic off on Zygarde, so try to play around it aggressively. A core of Pinsir + Magnezone can be threatening if Celesteela gets trapped. Volcarona can be annoying if it turns out to be Bug Z because it OHKOs Zygarde, but you don't see that set very often. Reuniclus can setup on your team if it surprises Ash-Gren on the switch with Focus Blast. Lastly, the stall matchup is hard, but luckily it's not too common anymore.

Test out the squad and let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to also make changes if you don't like something. Hope I was able to help & gl with the new team :toast:

Hi bro!! Thx for the reply. For sure its a better and more consistent team, but i was testing it and i had a rly bad time because its hard to control and play for me, maybe because its a team i never think.

Btw ill keep testing it and get more confident using it. I was wondering, why dont Gigadrain in Venusaur? With zygarde and landorus i think i can switch it for EQ in Venusaur.

I drop this team because i never founded how to put in march, but with your help i take it again and give it a full test. Thank you so much!!!

~Threats~

~Suggestions~

>

>

>

Spikes > Ice Beam

~Conclusion~

Hi bro. Im testing your team and i have to admit it, its awesome. I dont remember if i congrat you properly, but thank you so much, definitely i move this team to the console. Thx again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)