Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
For checks, there is also Mega Medicham, which can OHKO with Zen Headbutt... unless it's physically defensive.

Sap Sipper Assault vest Goodra? lol anyone considered it?
That's actually a pretty good answer. Switching into a leech seed or Giga Drain or something, Goodra can get an attack boost and then 2HKO with Outrage. Choice Band Outrage can even OHKO specially defensive M-Vensaur at +1, but I'd stick with Life Orb and a 2HKO or else you might get forced out by a fairy switch.

I HATE FIGHTING THIS THING IN INVERSE BATTLES!

Seriously, consider Mega Venusaur if you want a bulky Grass type there. Thick Fat's resistances remain the same, which help it tank common Ice attacks (Ice Pokemon are very common in Inverse; mono-Ice teams are even fairly effective) and the occasional Fire moves. However, it is critically weak to Grass, so don't let it be Giga Drained!

I have a Modest Mega Venusaur, and was wondering if Sludge Bomb or Synthesis could be replaced with something along the lines of Toxic? Just trying out different ideas. =P

I have a Modest Mega Venusaur, and was wondering if Sludge Bomb or Synthesis could be replaced with something along the lines of Toxic? Just trying out different ideas. =P
MVenusaur appreciates recovery too much to not have Synthesis or Leech Seed and Sludge Bomb prevents opposing Grass types from completely walling you. For what it's worth, Sludge Bomb also has a 30% poison chance, although it's regular poison instead of severe. Maybe a stall team could appreciate Toxic, but in general MVenu's role as a tank is better served without it.

In general, I find strong neutral hits can check MVenusaur. I've had success with MGarchomp and CB Genesect, particularly CB Genesect since Iron Head is a 3HKO against physically defensive MVenusaur even without a Download boost. The 30% flinch chance from Iron Head means I can generally beat any that try to stall me with Synthesis. Specially defensive versions that stay in expecting Ice Beam get completely slaughtered.

Hello, sorry for that stupid question, but i bred some Bulbasaur for the Special Tank Set, but now I´m torn between 2 possible candidates:
on the one hand the perfect Modest 31/29-30/31/31/31/31, but on the other hand i have a modest 31/29-30/31/31/31/14 which could learn Hidden Power Ice. My question is if its worth for me to accept that downgrade in Speed to obtain HP Ice or should i run the normal set with sleep power instead?

Hello, sorry for that stupid question, but i bred some Bulbasaur for the Special Tank Set, but now I´m torn between 2 possible candidates:
on the one hand the perfect Modest 31/29-30/31/31/31/31, but on the other hand i have a modest 31/29-30/31/31/31/14 which could learn Hidden Power Ice. My question is if its worth for me to accept that downgrade in Speed to obtain HP Ice or should i run the normal set with sleep power instead?
I would just go with the normal set. I don't see the need for HP Ice.

Besides Talonflame, what beats M-Venusaur?
Mostly steels. Genesect can be a headache, Ferrothorn can set up next to it. I'm not sure if it can handle AV T-Tar and AV Metagross, Rotom-W is a problem if MVenu does not have sludge bomb. I also wonder if stall versions can be topsy turvied by Malamar.

Wut? Mega venu can carry EQ to take away how effective steels are. And seeding Genesect makes it want to leave.

4mss is just the factor of someone not knowing what their team needs and what role you need your poke to play. Sludge bomb or EQ, what's venu's role with both on their own?

Mostly steels. Genesect can be a headache, Ferrothorn can set up next to it. I'm not sure if it can handle AV T-Tar and AV Metagross, Rotom-W is a problem if MVenu does not have sludge bomb. I also wonder if stall versions can be topsy turvied by Malamar.
Actually, Venusaur is a freaking headache to Rotom since it can only burn you and you can Leech Seed and Giga Drain him. As for AV T-Tar, i'd need to run some calcs, but I'm pretty sure Venusaur would win 1x1.

I'm thinking this was supposed to say Rotom-H? Rotom-W has absolutely nothing it can do against MVenusaur except get 2HKO'd by Giga Drain.

He's a serious problem for my team comp in wifi 3v3. Every time I fight one I either barely win or lose by a huge margin. I'm trying not to use Talonflame since I already have a pretty big rock weakness. A hard check/counter to him has to be able to do all the following:

1. Can avoid sleep powder. Possibilities: grass pokemon, magic bounce, fast substitute, taunt, lum/chesto berry, protect+toxic/flame orb guts pokemon, insomnia, magic coat
2. Can 2HKO Mega Venusaur possibly with leech seed recovery. Possibilities: Pokemon with strong psychic/flying moves OR mold-breaker pokemon with fire/ice moves (which don't really exist outside of Haxorus so it doesn't matter much anyways)
3. Can survive Mega Venusaur's offensive moves while also doing damage. Possibilities: Anything tanky enough to survive his attacks, but strong enough to at least 2HKO
4. Can survive residual damage from Leech Seed or avoid it completely. Possibilities: grass pokemon, magic bounce, magic guard, magic coat, recovery pokemon, taunt, fast subsitute

Unless I'm missing something, the counter basically has to be able to do all that to really be effective vs M-Venusaur. I honestly feel like M-Venusaur is just as uber as M-Kanga tbh
Skarmory is Msaur's hardest counter. Only variants with Hidden power fire can contest the bird; otherwise Skarmory is free to set up and eventually kill Msaur. Any damage done can be roosted off.

Without Hidden power fire:
Scizor, AegisSlash, Genesect, forrethorn all can set up/ murder Msaur easy and potentially kill it.

A fully invested Sdef skarmory will not have to fear hp Fire either taking a paltry 33%
Heatran is another hard MU for Msaur; especially if the balloon has not been popped.
Garchomp has no problem dueling Msaur as does Dragonite; both of whom saur cannot secure the 3 hit kill.
MegaMawile and Mega Gardevoir do very well.
Gengar should have no problem switching into him as well
Special tanks work wonders as switch ins to him

outside of switch ins, there are many revenge killers:
Talonflame and Moltres both chase him away
Everything mentioned above
Charizard X and Y

grass poison is pretty easy to wall; just make sure you have on your team a bulky switcher who can take those attacks (shouldnt be too hard)

A. No one runs fully special defensive skarmory. It's an awful idea.
B. Earthquake is a much superior option, anyways.
C. Everything you said was irrelevant because EQ.

So yeah, play him before spewing garbage. Earthquake is literally the best move Saur has because it keeps all kinds of pokes OUT that otherwise might enjoy coming in vs him.
Roar is also my personal favorite to round out all others. Seriously, you try to bring in Dragonite, I'm just going to give you more rock damage.

Specially defensive Skarmory may work in a rain soaked metagame and with the Dark and Ghost resists (along with more opportunities to use its fine natural bulk to resist sponge prevalent Outrages), but it just doesn't work in this meta.

---

HP Rock (AncientPower is more susceptible to PP stalling and the secondary effective has a low probability of occurring and it is not worth it) Heatran is probably a good partner since it can counter Talonflame. Merely checking it does not really suffice because Talonflame's presence (if the opponent manages to get rid of Stealth Rock or if Talonflame is sufficiently healthy) would later cause a stall team to lose momentum by forcing Venusaur out.

---

AJ... I do know about Earthquake on Mega Venusaur. It is a Will-O-Wisp target so it can be easier to wear down. Also, special Mega Luke wins if Venusaur has low health

0 Atk Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 258-304 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
I'm an avid user of Venusaur! I've been running an amazing core (that's probably been mentioned) of Mega Venusaur / Rotom-W / Heatran to great success. Mega Venusaur is certainly a top tier threat, just to put how bulky this is into perspective, let's look at one of the most powerful Fire-type moves in the game:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 306-362 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Flash Fire Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 306-362 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
They're the same in case you were wondering. But still, a STAB move in the Sun, coming off of Choice Specs 252+ with 145 Base Special Attack, yeah, not much can muster that. Just also,
252+ SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 370-436 (51.8 - 61%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Even the great fearsome wall is 2HKOed. Seriously, if you're not using this thing you're missing out~!

A. No one runs fully special defensive skarmory. It's an awful idea.
B. Earthquake is a much superior option, anyways.
C. Everything you said was irrelevant because EQ.

So yeah, play him before spewing garbage. Earthquake is literally the best move Saur has because it keeps all kinds of pokes OUT that otherwise might enjoy coming in vs him.
Roar is also my personal favorite to round out all others. Seriously, you try to bring in Dragonite, I'm just going to give you more rock damage.
1) http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/skarmory set 3
know what your talking about before you start spewing garbage.
2) Watch your mouth, Especially when you dont know what your talking about. I am open to debates, not interested in you acting like a child.
3) View previous pages, I been testing, playing, and experimenting with MSaur since release. So drop your attitude-.-\
4) Eq has already been brought up numerous times and it fits in sets not in every set.
5) Roar is iffy, for that you would be better off using knock off to punish the switch in harder than to attempt to psuedo phase. Then in next "fight" Saur has a larger advantage.

6) Pokemon listed aboves were checks/ counters regardless of the set Saur runs he will face trouble vs those pokemon.

Finally Skarmory gets another point for defog removing rocks.

Since Skarmory's base Defense is naturally quite high, this EV spread buffers its weaker Special Defense. Physical sweepers can still be checked despite the loss of physical bulk, but 2HKOs are a bit more prevalent. The set is meant to work around bulky Water-types, but it works well against Choice users that are locked into a resisted attack as well. Simply come in like usual, set up Spikes or Roost to recover lost health, and use Skarmory's other moves whenever necessary.
There are probably fewer Choice and Outrage users in Gen 6. Asides from a Fairy resistance, Skarmory has fewer resistances. The bird has to rely on its statistical bulk now to be an effective wall, not its resistances.

There are probably fewer Choice and Outrage users in Gen 6. Asides from a Fairy resistance, Skarmory has fewer resistances. The bird has to rely on its statistical bulk now to be an effective wall, not its resistances.
Skarmory losing ghost resistance isnt a huge loss, ghost as an attacking type isnt that common (shadow ball and shadow sneak are bout it). Loss of the dark resistance is annoying though but only two of those dark attacks are special so skarmory should be able to tank the majority reasonably well.

The point of the link is to show skarmory can still build heavy Sdef and perform his job well not that EVERY skarmory goes Sdef. Furthermore it was a calculation based on HP Fire on Msaur which is a rare occurrence as is.

TL:DR Skarmory is a MSaur counter.

AJ... I do know how about Earthquake on Mega Venusaur. It seems to be a Will-O-Wisp target. Also, special Mega Luke wins if Venusaur has low health

0 Atk Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 258-304 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Suppose you meant "Don't know" about eq on Mega venu? Venu is apparently burn bait regardless, but running a mixed set not only alleviates that, it allows you to hide the earthquake until you want to unleash it on something like Heatran. And everything is going to lose to mega lucario is you aren't dedicating it. Venu just doesn't have the typing to take on Mega lucario (although he does nicely to finish lucario off if needed).

2) Watch your mouth, Especially when you dont know what your talking about. I am open to debates, not interested in you acting like a child.
3) View previous pages, I been testing, playing, and experimenting with MSaur since release. So drop your attitude-.-\
4) Eq has already been brought up numerous times and it fits in sets not in every set.
5) Roar is iffy, for that you would be better off using knock off to punish the switch in harder than to attempt to psuedo phase. Then in next "fight" Saur has a larger advantage.

6) Pokemon listed aboves were checks/ counters regardless of the set Saur runs he will face trouble vs those pokemon.

Finally Skarmory gets another point for defog removing rocks.
Lol a BW skarm set that was never used to begin with. Skarm ran that set because it could take bulky waters a bit better in rain. Unfortunately, nothing like that exists in today's metagame and when all of the major threats skarm should ever thing about stoping are physical, it really is a no-contest to say special EV investment simply isn't helpful. I'm not kidding, find someone sane that'll run special defensive skarm. You want to know why it's stupid? Pinsir. You INSTANTLY give your team away to be destroyed by pinsir. The shoddiest SpDef skarm had isn't bolstered enough especially when the major SpA are going to have coverage for him (greninja, aegislash, heatran, genesect, charizard-y... in fact, there are no special threats I can think of off hand that would hate skarm more now that it goes Specially defensive. Celebi still doesn't win. Maybe alakazam that isn't running shadow ball)

Also, you're on the internet. If you're that hurt over a comment, you're in the wrong place. I know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to mega venusaur and I doubt there are too many people who have used him more than I have.

Earthquake is, or at least should be, an absolute must on venusaur. The amount of pokemon that enjoy switching into him when he runs earthquake is almost halved. If you're going to run two attacks, earthquake should almost always be one of them unless you are going special sweeper or have very devoted threats to take care of.

Roar is a fantastic move for defensive teams. Set up sweepers aren't going to be bothered by knock off. Knock off isn't dealing much damage, either. Very utility. If anything, Venu's major advantage is to immediately take on and beat a pokemon that faces it by tanking and giving damage. Knock off does two major negatives to that: Little damage and draws in megas. This is terrible, given mega lucario is actually going to get to +3 if you don't have something for it (IE eq) and +3 lucario-mega... you might as well give up. I don't even have pokemon on my team that can take a lucario at +3.

Aegislash is removed from either when EQ is run. Mawile goes from free switch-in to check (if no sleep powder, which if you have and hit, mawile is screwed) Heatran is destroyed. And I just roar the rest over rocks, because none of them can 2hko venu unboosted. (Well, mawile could, I think, Iron head/sucker punch a 2hko out, but sucker punch requires you to give it to them).

Edit: Not denying Skarm is a good venu 'counter' (that's a terribly slow 3hko counter), just saying SDef skarm has no place in this game.

Suppose you meant "Don't know" about eq on Mega venu? Venu is apparently burn bait regardless, but running a mixed set not only alleviates that, it allows you to hide the earthquake until you want to unleash it on something like Heatran. And everything is going to lose to mega lucario is you aren't dedicating it. Venu just doesn't have the typing to take on Mega lucario (although he does nicely to finish lucario off if needed).

Lol a BW skarm set that was never used to begin with. Skarm ran that set because it could take bulky waters a bit better in rain. Unfortunately, nothing like that exists in today's metagame and when all of the major threats skarm should ever thing about stoping are physical, it really is a no-contest to say special EV investment simply isn't helpful. I'm not kidding, find someone sane that'll run special defensive skarm. You want to know why it's stupid? Pinsir. You INSTANTLY give your team away to be destroyed by pinsir. The shoddiest SpDef skarm had isn't bolstered enough especially when the major SpA are going to have coverage for him (greninja, aegislash, heatran, genesect, charizard-y... in fact, there are no special threats I can think of off hand that would hate skarm more now that it goes Specially defensive. Celebi still doesn't win. Maybe alakazam that isn't running shadow ball)

Also, you're on the internet. If you're that hurt over a comment, you're in the wrong place. I know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to mega venusaur and I doubt there are too many people who have used him more than I have.

Earthquake is, or at least should be, an absolute must on venusaur. The amount of pokemon that enjoy switching into him when he runs earthquake is almost halved. If you're going to run two attacks, earthquake should almost always be one of them unless you are going special sweeper or have very devoted threats to take care of.

Roar is a fantastic move for defensive teams. Set up sweepers aren't going to be bothered by knock off. Knock off isn't dealing much damage, either. Very utility. If anything, Venu's major advantage is to immediately take on and beat a pokemon that faces it by tanking and giving damage. Knock off does two major negatives to that: Little damage and draws in megas. This is terrible, given mega lucario is actually going to get to +3 if you don't have something for it (IE eq) and +3 lucario-mega... you might as well give up. I don't even have pokemon on my team that can take a lucario at +3.

Aegislash is removed from either when EQ is run. Mawile goes from free switch-in to check (if no sleep powder, which if you have and hit, mawile is screwed) Heatran is destroyed. And I just roar the rest over rocks, because none of them can 2hko venu unboosted. (Well, mawile could, I think, Iron head/sucker punch a 2hko out, but sucker punch requires you to give it to them).

Edit: Not denying Skarm is a good venu 'counter' (that's a terribly slow 3hko counter), just saying SDef skarm has no place in this game.
Saying its the internet is not an acceptable excuse to remove civility.

Full Sdef skarmory was not about it being a main use of skarmory; the point was if skarmory was THAT worried about hp fire he can pack Sdef to resist it and continue on his merry way.

Skarmory does not have to kill venasaur to counter him. Without HP fire saur can only use sleep powder/seed, or run away. Either way Skarmory gets free set up opportunity to lay spikes/ phase/defog or just go for the kill. Essentially if skarmory is out, Saur has little choice but to give up a free turn switching.

Noone is questioning the power of Eq, ground type attacks provides incredible coverage and messes with all his steel switch ins (except the bird). However Ground/ Grass is basically set up bait for all flying types/dragon types/forrethorn, but you check the hell outta steels, especially Heatran.

If you pick Poison/Grass your useless against steels/opposing grass psn/crobatman, but you gain the ability to seriously dent dragons not named garchomp, fairies (togekiss), and anything that is neutral to poison (which is surprisingly ALOT, check out numbers in previous pages)

Roar is fantastic! It was mentioned before. That however is based on what you want saur to do.
I prefer knock off for its utility. Venasaur WANTS to remove opposing items. The first hit is nothing to sneer at either 95 bp is nice. It dramatically improves who he can switch in on.

Both moves are amazing in their own right depending on what you want Msaur to do.

I'm thinking this was supposed to say Rotom-H? Rotom-W has absolutely nothing it can do against MVenusaur except get 2HKO'd by Giga Drain.
No, not H. I mean it's obscure little brother, the defensive lawnmower Rotom. However, mixed sets obliberate him using sludge bomb. I'm jot sure if rotom-H gets the job done. It does like the whole EQ coverage Venu has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)