Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using Msaur alot (the only Mega i use) and its realy reliable with this set:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Calm Nature
Leech seed
Toxic
Giga drain
Sludge bomb

I use Leech seed over synthesis, because it also help teamate if you ever need to switch and depending of the enemie Msaur can set a leech seed and still live with is bulk. Poisonheal-Gliscor and Leftover-Rotom love this extra recovery. And sometime its easy to predict the switch to talonflame from the foe, with this, talonflame fall more early. Also, in some situation, the continuous recovery from leech seed is better than synthesis, ifMsaur ever get paralysed/frozen/confuse/or is asleep. If one leech seed is set its quite a relief to still get some HP for the turn you might miss.

Toxic is there to cripple the pkmn who are more bulky, Since i have a problem with accurcy...i dont run Sleep Powder. Giga drain is there for more recovery.

I dont have HP-fire but with my Rotom-H this is not a problem. So Sludgebomb is the move to have.
What EVs are you running with that? I like the look of it.

I've been trying this out.

Venusaur@Venusaurite
Chlorophyll
Relaxed 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Growth
~ Earthquake
~ Giga Drain
~ HP Rock

I've been able to take Sun boosted Fire Blasts from Char Y even without SpD investment and score an easy OHKO with +0 HP Rock, which also easily takes care of Talonflame from full health. I don't miss HP Fire because Forretress or Ferrothorn usually just stack hazards while I boost with Growth and then you can take them out with two EQs. I really like Growth because the mixed attacking makes it very hard to find a safe switch into this guy. Heatran's switching into Giga Drain get there balloon popped and unless they WoW or you get burned from Lava Plume then EQ take care of him easily. I really like the Df but without passive recovery its hard to boost to a reliable level to make Giga Drain fearsome. I think this may be better suited with some more offense oriented EVs.

Does Mega Venusaur absolutely need Sludge Bomb? I'm going to try this set on my stall team, and I'd like some feedback on it!

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Roar

Spreads Toxic (100 acc.), shuffles opponent's team around (anti-set up + hazard damage), and can sustain its health.

The last two slots are giving me trouble, but I know I don't like Earthquake. :s

I know I am not contributing much but holy jesus is this thing's awesome! I don't know what it is, but having a grass type with only to weaknesses (If I'm not mistaken), annoyer moves, lots of power and flexibility makes it such a good pokemon...and don't forget the butt flower!
I have only one move I always use, the other ones are changed ->Synthesis.

Synthesis is there for several reasons, the most important being:
->You can't be toxed as a bulky mon, weather isn't always there, so healing 50% is possible
->No leftovers makes this move even more awesome.

People might suggest that Leech Seed&Giga Drain > Synthesis, but I swear without I always regret it not using synthesis.

It can be "always" used except switching into poison and flying types.

Also finally, by god the SD Set. Wreaks everything and survives everything. The only thing it lacks is good couverage with its moves:
SD Synthesis EQ Power Whip (Talonflame, Skarmory, Dragonite :( ) Because I often get to +4, but it still doesn't help against those...if it would learn at least poison jab T_T

how do you guys feel about magnezone as a team mate of megasaur. it can come in on megasaurs weaknesses of psychic and flying and threaten the flyers easily. i dont know if one exists but i feel like a pokemon that can set up grassy terrain and use u-turn could be interesting to try. the the increased damage from grassy terrain would be useful and you get some healing granted it also heals the enemy.

how do you guys feel about magnezone as a team mate of megasaur. it can come in on megasaurs weaknesses of psychic and flying and threaten the flyers easily. i dont know if one exists but i feel like a pokemon that can set up grassy terrain and use u-turn could be interesting to try. the the increased damage from grassy terrain would be useful and you get some healing granted it also heals the enemy.
Hidden power got a nerf though. Then again, electric seems to hit steels better these days. Ideally, you'd want Magnezone for skarmory, I guess.

Does Mega Venusaur absolutely need Sludge Bomb? I'm going to try this set on my stall team, and I'd like some feedback on it!

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Roar

Spreads Toxic (100 acc.), shuffles opponent's team around (anti-set up + hazard damage), and can sustain its health.

The last two slots are giving me trouble, but I know I don't like Earthquake. :s
I personally run Sludge Bomb > Giga Drain so you don't also get walled hard by Grass types, as i find Synthesis to be enough recovery, i also run Leech Seed instead of EQ to have something for steels as most can't do shit to you anyways and it's also pretty good for general stalling.

On pure defensive sets Synthesis can be superior to Giga Drai because you're dependent on your opponent's typing plus you using an uninvested SpA stat. The only problem is the limited PP. You might want to use Toxic Spike support so you get more move slots. Leech Seed at least prompts more switches and passive healing.

The Great Gastly I like HP Rock or HP Ground. Rock takes care of Talonflame and Char if they try to switch in and I've even survived a Char Y Fire Blast in sun without SpD investment and got the OHKO. HP Ground is great on Heatran but you still need to pop the common balloon item. HP Fire if you want to be rid of Ferrothorn but so many others can handle that.

KrownVekta Magnezone is good for Dragon types more over. Many common Flying types are also part Fire or Ground which Magnezone is not exactly well suited to handle. You should probably go the Scarf rout with HP Ice in which case. At least Talonflame has to use Flare Blitz on you which you could outspeed with a Scarf and handle with Thunderbolt. HP Water may be safer overall though so you can also hit Heatran, but STAB Thunderbolt is stronger anyway.

Just wondering, how does the Mega Evolution mechanic work with Chlorophyll Venusaur? Does it keep the Chlorophyll speed during the turn it Mega Evolves? I know other pokemon keep their original speed during the Mega Evolution turn but not sure how this interacts with Chlorophyll.

Chlorophyll doubles your speed stat in the sun so yes you will maintain that high speed for the turn order calculations if the sun is still up.

I use venusaur on my toxic spikes team and man, he is my MVP a lot of times. Having toxic spikes support frees up your toxic slot and enables de triple recovery combo (synthesis, leech seed, giga drain), while still maintaining a toxic STAB move. In my case I use venoshock, simply because it too, synergises with toxic spikes.

Someone mentioned magnezone as a good partner and I agree, it can trap and kill steel types with ease with Hidden Power Fire vs. Foretress, ferothorn, scizor and thunderbolt vs. Skarmory and other birds who obviously can't get poisoned by spikes.

Venusaur, even when EV'd to Defences only, packs quiet a punch with offensive moves thanks to mega. I'd say he's a solid OU Mon.

I've been using both regular and mega Venusaur in prebank OU with a great results, the fact that he can remove Toxic Spikes is a huge bonus as it takes heat off your spinner or defogger (if you're running one) while giving you the ability to negate what would normally be crippling Spores or Sleep Powders.

He's still really great this generation, and can fill whatever role your team needs: tanky support, bulky offense, or moderately fast attacker. The best part is, beyond Talonflame, Fire & Bird types are seemingly nonexistent, and I can't remember the last time I fought something like Alakazam. Ice is somewhat of a rarity beyond Mamoswine too.

As a few posters before me mentioned Chlorophyll is the way to go, be it mega or regular Venusaur, so that your team has a better toolkit to respond to sun teams.

I've been using both regular and mega Venusaur in prebank OU with a great results, the fact that he can remove Toxic Spikes is a huge bonus as it takes heat off your spinner or defogger (if you're running one) while giving you the ability to negate what would normally be crippling Spores or Sleep Powders.

He's still really great this generation, and can fill whatever role your team needs: tanky support, bulky offense, or moderately fast attacker. The best part is, beyond Talonflame, Fire & Bird types are seemingly nonexistent, and I can't remember the last time I fought something like Alakazam. Ice is somewhat of a rarity beyond Mamoswine too.

As a few posters before me mentioned Chlorophyll is the way to go, be it mega or regular Venusaur, so that your team has a better toolkit to respond to sun teams.

Watch out for the Lati twins and Landorus too.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What I love about Mega Venusaur is that it's such an excellent answer to Mega Lucario. There's seriously nothing Mega Luke can do to hurt it (outside of a +2 Iron Tail or Flash Cannon I guess) while it can respond back with Earthquake or a super effective Hidden Power, and then Mega Venusaur can either use Synthesis right then or it can get out and Giga Drain something later.

I'm thinking Cloyster wouldwork really well with this thing. If you replace Ice shards (Assuming you need Toxic spikes and give Cloyster a Sash) then you are now gguaranteed to get up the Toxic spikes and Don't have to use Toxic on Venasaur anymore (Assuming you are using the stall set). Plus Cloyster Runs Rockblast and Icicle spears to deal with the likes of Talonflame, Dragonite. Etc which is agreat deal of pokemon who threaten MegaVenasuar.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I mean, I could've sword that he gets it in LG/FR. I thought he got all three powder moves on the same level TBH.

Just wondering, has anyone mentioned a Curse set for Mega Venusaur? Probably specially defensive with Power Whip/Curse/Earthquake/Synthesis or Power Whip/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk. Most flying moves are physical and he could probably shrug those off after a Curse or two so really he'd only have Psychics to worry about which are both rare and easily dealt with Pursuit support.

Just wondering, has anyone mentioned a Curse set for Mega Venusaur? Probably specially defensive with Power Whip/Curse/Earthquake/Synthesis or Power Whip/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk. Most flying moves are physical and he could probably shrug those off after a Curse or two so really he'd only have Psychics to worry about which are both rare and easily dealt with Pursuit support.
Walled to hell and back by Skarmory/any airborne Dragon type. I seriously question the viability of such a set. A Swords Dance with SD/Earthquake/Petal Blizzard/Outrage might be semi-viable. Outrage is questionable without the STAB and also Fairy-types running around, but sadly Venusaurs physical movepool doesn't go beyond that and Knock Off. But hey, it might catch some Dragon-types offguard I guess.

Walled to hell and back by Skarmory/any airborne Dragon type. I seriously question the viability of such a set. A Swords Dance with SD/Earthquake/Petal Blizzard/Outrage might be semi-viable. Outrage is questionable without the STAB and also Fairy-types running around, but sadly Venusaurs physical movepool doesn't go beyond that and Knock Off. But hey, it might catch some Dragon-types offguard I guess.
Remember, Knock off got one heck of a power boost and two knock offs are more powerful than two crunches assuming there is an item to remove. It also give Megasaur two moves that aren't resisted by steel.

That said a cursesaur with recovery is probably a better idea since he's more of a tank than a sweeper. This way he gets plenty of chances rather than two or three that the average sweeper gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)