SM OU Very new but looking to learn

Hi guys, I'm super new to competitive pokemon but have got super addicted and trying to learn as much as I can about the game and how to play it well.

Obviously I've started out by reading guides and looking at the meta champs and with that in mind my team is probably a bit of a cookie-cutter OU high-tier pokemon team (although I have tried to put some thought into it).

So here's the team, tell me what makes no sense and where I've gone horribly wrong and help me learn to play.

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Scald

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

The idea being to have defensive cover and hazard set-up from Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, Defog support from Latios and then Offensive coverage from Charizard, Keldeo and Magearna.

Tried to read around and make sure I have something to deal with most of the meta threats but I'm sure there will be holes.

So anyone who's feeling charitable, give me some tips!

Welcome to the community! Your team has all the right mons but some of your sets are kind of confusing. First off, magearna doesn't run focus blast, put in fluer cannon instead. Also, replace thunderbolt with flash cannon and run steelium z. This is a lot more effective and is stab. Also, choice scarf defog latios isn't a good choice in case you get choiced into Defog. Try soul dew instead. You are weak to both mega zards as well if they are paired with greninja or manaphy(which x always is). Also, you need to explain your sets on this rmt. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the community! Your team has all the right mons but some of your sets are kind of confusing. First off, magearna doesn't run focus blast, put in fluer cannon instead. Also, replace thunderbolt with flash cannon and run steelium z. This is a lot more effective and is stab. Also, choice scarf defog latios isn't a good choice in case you get choiced into Defog. Try soul dew instead. You are weak to both mega zards as well if they are paired with greninja or manaphy(which x always is). Also, you need to explain your sets on this rmt. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your help.

As I said I'm super new, so sets were mostly lifted from Smogon since I don't really understand enough to make my own from scratch yet (e.g. http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/magearna/). Thanks for your suggestions!

Any advice on what to change/who to switch out/in to deal with the mega zard problem?

I see what you mean. However, the set that I suggested is a lot more prominent in the meda right now. For Zard x, I would suggest incorporating tapu fini as it resists or takes no damage from both stabs. For Zard y, switch hp ice on lando t to stonedge. This will ohko most if not all charzard ys as it is 4 times effective. I would switch keldeo w/ tapu fini.

Hi guys, I'm super new to competitive pokemon but have got super addicted and trying to learn as much as I can about the game and how to play it well.

Obviously I've started out by reading guides and looking at the meta champs and with that in mind my team is probably a bit of a cookie-cutter OU high-tier pokemon team (although I have tried to put some thought into it).

So here's the team, tell me what makes no sense and where I've gone horribly wrong and help me learn to play.

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Scald

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

The idea being to have defensive cover and hazard set-up from Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, Defog support from Latios and then Offensive coverage from Charizard, Keldeo and Magearna.

Tried to read around and make sure I have something to deal with most of the meta threats but I'm sure there will be holes.

So anyone who's feeling charitable, give me some tips!
Welcome to smogon, the most poisonous community on the net. To start off ferrothorn doesn't need those speed ivs and the would much appreciate it being put in spdef. For latios it would rather have trick over t wave just so it can stop mons like chansey or other Pokémon that like to put up hazards and such. And finally for zard y I would run hp ice over focus blast just because you already have focus blast on magearna and keldeo and lando t should be enough for it. Hp ice also helps against the ground types that infest this meta like garchomp lando t and zygarde.

Good luck and have fun :toast:

About Magearna: Focus Blast is fine as it helps beat a lot of the checks and counters to Shift Gear Mag like Heatran and Ferrothorn. I personally run Z-focus blast on double dance Mag, but I've been considering changing it to Z-Aura Sphere because the drop in z-move power isn't very large (8% less powerful). However, you don't need max speed. Modest nature and 148 EVs out speed M-Lopunny and M-Manetric as well as Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko. 172 EVs allow you out speed scarf Heatran which helps avoid getting revenge killed. The next significant speed tier is 216 EVs to out speed M-Alakazam and M-Aerodactyl. There only thing significant max speed timid it speeds is Scarf Chomp and +1 base 100 which aren't usually going to let you set up anyways, +1 Zygarde which definitely won't let you set up and you should never allow to set up.

You also want Dugtrio to remove problems Char-Y like Toxapex and Heatran. Maybe replace scarf Keldeo for Adamant Scarf Dugtrio. It weakens or kills what you need it to kill.

I'd also take the scarf of Latios. It's way to easy to trap with Tyranitar or any other pursuit user. Give it leftovers or life orb and replace thunder wave with Surf, Earthquake, or recover. The first 2 allow you act as a lure for heatran, Bisharp, Tyranitar, other steel types. The second can help you survive to Defog again if necessary. Maybe consider replacing Latios with Mew or Fini as a defogger.

That's all I've got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)