VGC 2010 North East Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Beware long report ahead***

Pre-Tourny:
So having not played competitively since JAA, I wasn't sure how I would do. I didn't participate in 2008 (staffed), and missed out on competing in 2009 at Philly because of the lottery (600+ xD biggest regionals ever). So when I heard about the 768 limit first come first serve, I knew I had a shot. I practiced for months with Bonta-kun (Thanks Bonta-kun!!!) and the Ducks trying to figure out what was the play. I watched JPN videos to try and get a clue what to play. But its hard to deny the success of topogre. So the week of the tournament Huy (THANKS HUYYY!!) hooked me up with the team (THANKS GODUDETTE!!!) and I was all set. However I was set on using a Timid Ogre and all he had was a Modest. For hours Huy, IPL, and Serendipity (THANKS guys!!) tried to look for one but to no avail. So Modest had to do (it turned out pretty good in the end lolol). Also thanks to Alaka and his random advice that kinda worked. It was still great advice!

So yea my team was as follow:
Hitmontop
Kyogre
Palkia
Abomasnow

Backups:
Giratina ALT

Jokes:
Psyduck

Yes yes a Psyduck. I didn't think I needed to have another pokemon, felt pretty good using the team so I figured I'd bring it for good luck.

Day of the tournament:
I grab my duck shirt and take the subway (darn late NYC subways at 7 in the morning) out to meet with Serendipity at 7AM and we head off. His younger bro was goofing off the entire time haha naming random stuff. We also get a little lost (lol your typical GPS). I'm busy filling out my team sheet when they say wow long line and I'm like what? I look up to see a crazy long line in the parking lot (I'm guessing cause it was supposed to rain, so thanks for looking out for us TPCI!!). We get on line and by 8AM we start heading in. I see Nick (MC dude) on the way and a few other smogoners along the way. I see a senior line is already forming, and meet up with 5K and Chalkey and their 2 other friends. Between rooting for Serendipity's younger bro and walking back and forth with smogoners on the line I was exhausted so I just stood on the line with Serendipity.

Line in parking lot.

More line in parking lot.

Line for juniors inside.

Fast Forward to 1PM LOL

So yea meetup with some ppl on line, and scout who is around me. There was a dad in front of me with his son and some randoms around me so I thought I was in a good position for a easy Round 1 Match.

Now lets get this warstory started (Cues Eye of the Tiger)!!

***If your want your team taken off just PM me***

Round 1: VS Steve (Gastrodon,Gyrados,??,Pachirisu)
So yea I end up vsing the pokedad in front of me lol.
He leads with Gastrodon and Gyra. I thunder with Kyogre on Gyra and fake out Gastrodon. I don't remember the rest but he ends with a Pachirisu and its all over. GG

So while I'm online I am with the dude I was chatting with online. He seems intimidated by me since he says he just started playing competitively 3 months ago. The staff people soon attempt to pair us but I call the friend rule (he was a cool dude) so I soon get paired with.....

Round 2: VS Steve (Kingdra, Mewtwo,??,Cherish Ball Dragonite)
Yes I battled another Steve (idk the chances of that happening lol). He leads with Mewtwo Kingdra. Yay I setup rain for him lol. I'm forced to switch abomasnow to change the weather however his Kingdra and Mewtwo are still faster then Kyogre
0______o I'm about to call a hack check but I'm still in a pretty good position so I continue on. It ends with his cherish ball full health Dragonite vs my very low health hitmontop half health Obama and low health Kyogre. I get kind of scared that it might be running extreme speed (didn't realize the cherishball version didn't have it xD) Luckily I decide it doesn't (XXD) and go ahead and sucker punch with hitmontop and blizzard with obamasnow (should have iceshard arg) and it super powers my obama to oblivion. Send out kyogre and blizz and hitmontop suckerpunch his now 3/4 health (with -def now from super power) and kyogre finishes it off. Glad I didn't decide to do anything dumb about it having extreme speed.

Round 3: VS RukarioAuraMaster (Hitmontop,Palkia,Metagross,Kyogre)
We introduce ourselves and I find out he is from Smogon :(
I presume he got a bit intimidated by the duck shirt but I tell him not to so it puts him at ease. With some lucky prediction I am able to pull a 2-0 win.

1 more match till finalist lounge!! Comfy chair and beanbags awaits me!

Round 4: VS Weavile/Mewtwo/??/Venuasaur
We introduce ourselves and he says he is the last in his group so they are all cheering for him while I have no one cheering for me (all the ducks were still on line to play :(. On top of that our match is featured on the big screen xD. He leads with Weavile Mewtwo. My memory of this match is pretty bad but it ends with my Palkia+Abomasnow using Blizzard on his Venusar ftw. Towards the end of the match some dude yells out "Dan breed your own pokemon!!!!" lol

Moving on...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa Finalist lounge! Comfy chairs and bean bags awaits!!!

Yeaaa! Comfy chair!

I drop off my cart with Mike and hang out with TDS, Serendipity, Bluecookies and others while more finalists trickle in. We watch as 2-3 people get dq for having hack carts, lol no surprise there.

Anyways so it finally gets to 4:30 (the last person out of the 768 competitors was done by 4:25 lol). Were told about the whole bye routine yadayada and if you get a purple card you get the bye and move on to top 32. I'm online and the first 3 people in front of me get purple so I say to myself that I'm screwed but then I also get a purple card (WHOHOOO). Hang out some more and await my battle for top 32.

Round 5: VS Kingdra/Parasect/Kabutops/Zapdos

Yea this team was very anti everything lol. I spam blizzards and get lucky on a few predictions. It was still a very nerve racking game with the invite on the line and all x_X.

Round 6: VS Gyrados/Lugia/Giratina Alt/Regice

This was one hell of a great match. Though I got very lucky on a couple of things. No point in talking about the match The Vid # is: 93-70561-79250

Round 7: VS Hitmontop/Kyogre/Palkia/Abomasnow

Guess I had to face a teammate at some point lol. Thanks to my bud for recording the match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQUHAyXe40

Not much to say. I played to careful and kinda didn't realize a few speed tiers for this match that I should have known since Fish told me too =x Could have won if I got a critical Shadow Force on his Abomasnow but I guess the luck had to run out at some point haha

So yea took some more pics, hung out for top 4 and finals. Didn't have any particular person to root for since they were all awesome people.

All in all it was a great day. Got to meet a ton of people, and I got my invite to nats. Watch out for the Ducks we fite strong. Cya guys in Indy!

So thanks for everyone's help and thanks to anyone who read this long ramble of a report lol.

The end lol

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Congrats Dan! Jay and I almost got you the double crit blizzard at the end of your top 8 match. We were cheering double crit and when we saw the first crit we knew you would get the 2nd, but unfortunately you didn't :( I'll see you at nats, and can't wait to hang out again.

Congratulations! If only I got the Purple card as well. I don't think they shuffled the deck as well as they made it look! All the purple cards were near other purple cards and green cards right next to green cards! Congratulations on making it into the top 8! Was fun meeting you in the finalists lounge!

andrea

/me cresselias
Looking forward to seeing you in Indy. =) Glad to see my stuff served you well! That was seriously one crazy match for top 8. Awesome job!!!!!!!!!

that top 8 match was pretty exciting. i was hoping for the crit from shadow force. i was also asking leslie after the match if using ice shard would have been able to KO the palkia, that is depending if it runs 252 HP. what do you think?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I am disappoint, son. Didn't take my Teletubbies all the way. =[

But good job nonetheless! Finally getting your shot at playing and proving that you can do it =P

haha good job man. it was nice meeting you too, congrats on getting as far as you did. :]

PUNCHIN THE TOTO'

Thanks for the comments everyone!
BC: yea I was hopin for another double crit lolol
Serendipity: Thanks! Your bro is too funny lol
Human: It was nice meeting you as well. We made quite a group at the finalist lounge lolol
Godudette: Thank you :):) I could have definitely played the match out differently once I sent out Abomasnow but I completely lost all my VGC battle skillz. Not messing that up at Nats!
Mattj: Thanks for the support :)
EE: Thank you, it was nice seeing you again :)
Jrank: Thanks redbackpack kid (sorry I had to say it lolol) Look forward to meeting you at nats :)
FA135: Def lolol, look at my response to godudette xD
Huy: Thanks man, I owe you big time. Yes I finally proved it ;)
Darkwatch: Dude it was awesome meeting you. You were so chill lol. Unlike everyone getting their heads in Toto's mouth, I decided to give it a swift mach punch!

Congrats! That was a pretty awesome run despite not playing in an event such as this since JAA. I'll be sure to watch those battle videos when I get the chance.

I was the kid with the vVv sweatshirt on. I saw you a few times and I just was intimidated regardless because of the Ducks shirt. Though, someone told me that you weren't dtrain and dtrain was, in fact, a very tall black man, which I then believed because I figured dtrain would be a fitting name.

Good luck at Nats!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Hey this may be off topic, but not really if anybody knows you. How are you doing in the TCG this year?

Congratulations on making it to top 8, at least you get an invite to nats. Man, my match against you was still awesome, and I'm proud to say I lost to Dtrain =D! Anyway, good luck at nats man =].

ccm30: Yea man I was totally the tall black guy lolol jk. Thanks! Don't be intimidated by the ducks. We cool. I was going up to random ppl and saying hi to them xD.
Matt: Not doing as great as I want to :( Though I can say I'm totally better playing the vg lol
RucarioMaster:Thank you Thank you :) Totally look forward to meeting up with you again at the next tourny. You pro
Dazed Memory: Thanks Chris :) I tried lol. I'm gonna watch out for toto the next time I see it lol. I think its pissed
SatiSuicune: Yea its kind of a group thing :(
Magickzzl: Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)