VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Welcome to the VGC 2015 edition of VGC SQSA! With a new edition of the VGC rules being released, we decided it would be a great time to start this thread off fresh. If you are looking for the VGC 2015 rules you can find them here.

If you are looking to have a question answered that can be done in a single post, please put it here instead of starting a new thread. This should be for VGC 2015 questions only. General questions should go in the Global SQSA thread.

Rules

1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other forms of cheating
  2. Your question should include at least a brief explanation
  3. Please quote the question you are answering, otherwise it can get confusing
  4. Please do a Google search before asking the question
  5. It is better to look for team advice in the RMT Section, please remember to read all rules and stickies there
  6. This goes without saying, but please follow all Smogon rules and be respectful to others
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VGC?
A: VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, and is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are all double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50 if over 50, and left the same if below 50. It is played on the DS at events ranging from local Premier challenges, larger Regional tournaments, National tournaments, and culminating in the World Championship, which will take place in Boston this year.

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: People will occasionally post giveaways here.

Q: How do I find events to participate in?
A: You can use the Pokemon.com event finder to local tournaments in your area.

Q: What's a good set for ____?
A: We are working on getting analysis's up for VGC 2015 and they will be linked as soon as they are ready. If you would like to contribute, you can help out here.

Last edited:
(might be FAQ worthy)

I'm interested, but I have very low resources in my card - I only have one 5IV, and I already screwed up the EVs on it. What's the easiest and fastest way to acquire the needed resources to stand a chance in events?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
(might be FAQ worthy)

I'm interested, but I have very low resources in my card - I only have one 5IV, and I already screwed up the EVs on it. What's the easiest and fastest way to acquire the needed resources to stand a chance in events?
If you can't obtain a perfect Ditto, hit the Friend Safari - all Pokemon are guaranteed two perfect IVs. Other ways of getting perfect IVs include catching baby Pokemon like Budew (which, being unbreedable in their base stage, will have three 31s) or chaining DexNav encounters (one star in Potential yields one perfect IV, two and three stars for two and three IVs).

For the 5IV you already have, use a Reset Bag in the Super Training screen.

Reactions: EV
What EV spread would you run on mega Swampert? I was thinking something like Adamant 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe to speed creep max speed scarf Landorus-T under rain, but is that really necessary? Should I invest more heavily in bulk?

What EV spread would you run on mega Swampert? I was thinking something like Adamant 28 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe to speed creep max speed scarf Landorus-T under rain, but is that really necessary? Should I invest more heavily in bulk?
You may want to add more bulk. You probably won't need to speed creep max speed lando anyway because it can't do that much to you and will most likely not even stay in against a swampert in the rain.

so, I popped into Nugget Bridge's Twitch channel, and they already have highlights of '15 regionals, but says they're recorded this October. Is NB just messing up, or what?

so, I popped into Nugget Bridge's Twitch channel, and they already have highlights of '15 regionals, but says they're recorded this October. Is NB just messing up, or what?
They're still playing the VGC 2014 tier rules in that regionals, but it counts for VGC 2015.

I am going to get Giratina now and in the case that Legends become available in the future but still require the pentagon, I might as well try to get a good one. If Giratina was legal this season, what would be a good nature? I have no experience with it in VGC and while I can guess, it would be better to see what others have to say.

Looking at either Adamant or Jolly?

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
How big of a deal is it for Landorus-T to lose a point in Atk & Spe due to both having IVs of 30? Are there any particular threats that Lando-T misses out on KOing/outspending?

I just caught an Adamant, 31/30/31/6/31/30 Landorus in OR, but I can try going for flawless Lando once I get far enough in AS if that doesn't suffice.

How big of a deal is it for Landorus-T to lose a point in Atk & Spe due to both having IVs of 30? Are there any particular threats that Lando-T misses out on KOing/outspending?

I just caught an Adamant, 31/30/31/6/31/30 Landorus in OR, but I can try going for flawless Lando once I get far enough in AS if that doesn't suffice.
I can answer this. The Atk drop won't be noticed, the Speed drop will; you'll lose every single speed tie with landogs that share EVs. You'd need to run an extra 4 EVs to whatever spread you're running just to speed tie, and that could very well make a difference.

Considering you're Adamant I don't think 30 is bad for speed unless you want to speed tie with other Adamant 252 Lando', which, if you wanted to reliably outspeed you should've been Jolly anyway. You can still EV your Lando to outspeed Mega manectric, scarf smeargle or suicune at +2. So I personally think it's still usable. Just make sure when you're figuring out how many EVs you need to outspeed whatever you're using 30 as your IV not 31.

Is there any reason to outspeed other Landorus-T's? If I'm running a scarf set, should I just run enough to outspeed Manetric?

Also, any good pokemon that pair well with Mega Latias? :D

I'm completely new to this metagame but I heard Charizard Y and Venusaur was a good combo.

What are ideal sets (natures/evs/moves) to breed for these two?

I'm completely new to this metagame but I heard Charizard Y and Venusaur was a good combo.

What are ideal sets (natures/evs/moves) to breed for these two?
Depends on what you prefer. Char Y is mostly Modest/Timid with full offense or Modest with bulk to survive Rock Slide. For Venu i suggest looking up spreads either here or on nuggetbridge as I do not have any experience with it.

I have a rain team with politoed/Swampert/Kingdra/Bisharp/Talonflame and I'm looking for a sixth pokemon. I currently am using Aegislash, but it hasn't been useful so far. Any suggestions?

One more thing: What if you have only two friends on your 3DS? Shouldn't this thread have a Friend Safari compilation or something what's the easiest way to get good Friend Safaries, really fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)