VGC VGC 2021 Series 9 : Updated Bulky Offense Starring Metagross!

1620020001020.png

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ice Punch
- Protect

My Metagross is my hardest hitting team member, especially taking into account its weakness policy. Its decent bulk allows it to tank at least 1 big hit while dynamaxed, as this is my team's most useful dynamaxer IMO. I love meteor mash in Metagross, but the utility for iron head is nothing to sneeze at, so its obvious to me that this should be my stab move to kill the fairies and ice-types. Stomping Tantrum gives good coverage for fire and electric in this case, as my Metagross doesn't deal with special attackers well without weakness policy active. Ice Punch covers the flying, grass, ground and dragon types, mainly dealing with threats to Metagross such as Landorus. and lastly, when in doubt, use Protect. My biggest problem facing Metagross is Urshifu-Rapid Strike, as it dishes out hits like nobodies' business, followed by special sweepers who can guaranteed outspeed Metagross, and lastly TrickTail Grimmsnarl takes Metagross down several pegs.

1620020014187.png

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 36 SpA / 228 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tri Attack
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Eerie Impulse

Porygon 2 is an amazing counter to Trick Room setups and special attackers alike. Tri-Attack deals good damage for his stats, and has the added utility of adding a status every now and then. Trick Room is useful if they have a dedicated Trick Room comp, and if they have a team of very fast sweepers, as Porygon2 can not only cancel Trick Room comps, but my mons are not so fast that Trick Room is useless otherwise. Recover is good sustain for when I know Porygon2 is about to take a hit that I know it can survive, and lastly Eerie Impulse cripples special attackers, which my team would be particularly weak to without.

1620020025160.png

Moltres-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 108 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Moltres-Galar is a nice, bulky special attacker. Moltres can deal with psychic threats efficiently such as Tapu Lele, while serving as a slight check to Urshifu-Rapid Strike. It is still outsped slightly by Urshifu though, so I have to play my cards carefully when bringing Moltres in if I know I am about to deal with one. Moltres serves as a nice setup sweeper, and makes short work of bugs and the likes of Venusaur.

1620020036834.png

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Def / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spirit Break
- Thunder Wave
- Fake Out
- Light Screen

My Grimmsnarl serves as a great source of utility. It can tank a couple of hits, and can pose a small threat to Urshifu-Rapid Strike, and a greater threat to Urshifu-Single Strike, if I bring it in correctly. Grimmsnarl suffers the same fate as Moltres, unfortunately, being outsped by Urshifu, and having no resistances to its attacks. Spirit Break Helps wittle down the special attackers in the late game with Porygon2, Thunder Wave provides speed control and denial for the likes of Urshifu and Inceneroar, Fake Out helps me to gain some free moves from my harder hitters, and Light Screen helps shut down those pesky special attackers even moreso.

1620020059242.png

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Rotom Wash serves as my main check for Urshifu-Rapid Strike, posing a decent threat in thunderbolt. It makes an excellent swap-in when I know that my Entei is about to take an EQ from Landorus or a surging strikes from Urshifu. It is outsped by Urshifu, but it threatens an OHKO if the Urshifu doesnt close combat to kill my Rotom. It is outsped by Urshifu without any of my speed control, but I can usually have some form of it present, whether it be bulldoze from Entei or Thunder Wave from Grimmsnarl. Hydro Pump also poses a threat to Landorus, which is another threat to my biggest hitters if left unchecked. Thunderbolt also provides a check for any Moltres-Galars that can OHKO my Metagross.

1620020070968.png

Entei @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Snarl
- Bulldoze

My Entei is my premier trigger for Metagross' weakness policy. Bulldoze not only procs it, but slows the enemy team, and does not slow my Metagross due to Clear Body. Inner Focus ensures that foes such as Inceneroar and Landorus cannot lower its Atk stat, and cannot be flinched by Fake Out users, usually guaranteeing a weakness policy proc. It can survive most hits, only really being killed by special water attackers like Lapras, or Tapu Fini, and Landorus with the ever imposing threat. Sacred Fires deals good damage and spreads burns, Snarl is great utility for stopping special attackers in their tracks, and Extreme Speed helps finish off those low HP mons still kicking.

Open to any suggestions, or conversation in general. Thanks for reading!!

- MeatBus

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello! Your team seems solid enough to work even without changes because you don't have really bad matchups, you menaged to cover almost everything:
For the good stuff matchup you're good with metagross + Grimm/Entei.
For the sun matchup you're prepared enough with G-Moltres and Entei.
For Hard Trick Room you may struggle if you don't get momentum before the TR is set but no big deal since you seem an experienced player.
For Beat Up and Rain maybe it could be improved but Rotom-W can take out Terrakion and Stall Kingdra's Dynamax if supported by screens.
However the team can still be improved, i'll suggest two or three tips that may help you in specific matchups:

*:metagross::Porygon2 can win the 1v1 against your Metagross if it carries Iron Head and the WP hasn't been triggered, so consider adding meteor mash if you don't fear the lower accuracy.
*:Grimmsnarl::You don't need Fake Out on Grimmsnarl because you have Thunder wave already and your team doesn't care about opposing speed control at all, use Reflect instead to help Rotom deal with physical threats.
*:Rotom:: add some Bulk to Rotom, 252 speed isn't needed even for an offensive set and it limits your chances against Beat Up Terrakion.
*:Porygon2:: Porygon2 needs some physical bulk invested in order to win the 1v1 with Metagross and Unboosted Glastrier, my personal favorite is 244 HP / 140+ Def / 124 Spdef.

And that's it, hope you liked the little tips.
Enjoy your team!

metagross + spectrier is more reliable than entei

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Spectrier @ Focus Sash
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 52 HP / 60 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Bulldoze

this set is better (i was recommended this set and it works great)

I agree with the suggestion that P2 needs some Phys-Def for sure. Esp if you're running Eerie Impulse on it... Which brings me to my main point... Personally, I'm not a fan of Eerie Impulse on P2 tbh. Do you find yourself clicking it alot? If so, and you're reaping the benefits, def keep it, but your P2 can't hit a whole lot of types even Neutrally so T-Bolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball or Foul Play may be a good idea.

A good bulkier set for Rotom that I dig alot is:
252Hp/60Def/36SpA/156SpD/4Spe MODEST
Basically maximizing Tom's bulk while still hitting hard and 4 Speed EVs is all you need to outrun Paralyzed Dragapult... To possibly KO Colossal before the Surf goes off!
Otherwise, I dig the team and really don't see it having any match-ups that are basically an auto-loss anyway so my points are just a preference thing

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with the suggestion that P2 needs some Phys-Def for sure. Esp if you're running Eerie Impulse on it... Which brings me to my main point... Personally, I'm not a fan of Eerie Impulse on P2 tbh. Do you find yourself clicking it alot? If so, and you're reaping the benefits, def keep it, but your P2 can't hit a whole lot of types even Neutrally so T-Bolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball or Foul Play may be a good idea.

A good bulkier set for Rotom that I dig alot is:
252Hp/60Def/36SpA/156SpD/4Spe MODEST
Basically maximizing Tom's bulk while still hitting hard and 4 Speed EVs is all you need to outrun Paralyzed Dragapult... To possibly KO Colossal before the Surf goes off!
Otherwise, I dig the team and really don't see it having any match-ups that are basically an auto-loss anyway so my points are just a preference thing
Well, you don’t need to hit hard with porygon2 can you see where I’m going? 36 Spa isn’t a significant boost in terms of damage and while adding ice beam is as you said a preference, giving speed to P2 is almost a crime since it has to be as slow as possible to out speed other mons in trick room.
However a modest nature is a significant loss in bulk, meaning you won’t be safe against a lot of threats.

Last edited:
Well, you don’t need to hit hard with porygon2 can you see where I’m going? 36 Spa isn’t a significant boost in terms of damage and while adding ice beam is as you said a preference, giving speed to P2 is almost a crime since it has to be as slow as possible to out speed other mons in trick room.
However a modest nature is a significant loss in bulk, meaning you won’t be safe against a lot of threats.
That spread was for Rotom! Sorry if I wasn't clear on that! It's just a bulkier option for Nasty Plot Rotom-W. The 4 Speed EVs on Rotom allow it to out speed Paralyzed Dragapult by 1 point (if I remember correctly).

My only thoughts on P2 were maybe some Def EVs if you keep Eerie Impulse or to possibly replace Eerie Impulse with something like I e Beam, T-Bolt, Shadow Ball, or Foul Play... Lol

Last edited:

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
That spread was for Rotom! Sorry if I wasn't clear on that! It's just a bulkier option for Nasty Plot Rotom-W. The 4 Speed EVs on Rotom allow it to out speed Paralyzed Dragapult by 1 point (if I remember correctly).

My only thoughts on P2 were maybe some Def EVs if you keep Eerie Impulse or to possibly replace Eerie Impulse with something like I e Beam, T-Bolt, Shadow Ball, or Foul Play... Lol
Oh, if you intend it like this then it is doable, I agree with your statements

Oh, if you intend it like this then it is doable, I agree with your statements
Also, in general, don't underestimate what 36SpA EVs added to a spread can do. That can take a a 50% OHKO to an 85+% OHKO, and a LOT of 3HKOs into guaranteed 2HKOs. Maybe not applicable to your current team, but food for thought.

Hello! Your team seems solid enough to work even without changes because you don't have really bad matchups, you menaged to cover almost everything:
For the good stuff matchup you're good with metagross + Grimm/Entei.
For the sun matchup you're prepared enough with G-Moltres and Entei.
For Hard Trick Room you may struggle if you don't get momentum before the TR is set but no big deal since you seem an experienced player.
For Beat Up and Rain maybe it could be improved but Rotom-W can take out Terrakion and Stall Kingdra's Dynamax if supported by screens.
However the team can still be improved, i'll suggest two or three tips that may help you in specific matchups:

*:metagross::Porygon2 can win the 1v1 against your Metagross if it carries Iron Head and the WP hasn't been triggered, so consider adding meteor mash if you don't fear the lower accuracy.
*:Grimmsnarl::You don't need Fake Out on Grimmsnarl because you have Thunder wave already and your team doesn't care about opposing speed control at all, use Reflect instead to help Rotom deal with physical threats.
*:Rotom:: add some Bulk to Rotom, 252 speed isn't needed even for an offensive set and it limits your chances against Beat Up Terrakion.
*:Porygon2:: Porygon2 needs some physical bulk invested in order to win the 1v1 with Metagross and Unboosted Glastrier, my personal favorite is 244 HP / 140+ Def / 124 Spdef.

And that's it, hope you liked the little tips.
Enjoy your team!

Hey! I've been dealing with finals and getting ready for summer classes, so I apologize for the late replies here. I really wanted to change up my Rotom-Wash a little bit, because im starting to get to the point where max-maxing just seems lazy, which is what my rotom set is. i didnt take enough time with it and i really just need to go through and make him purpose built instead of just being thrown in.

I've been seeing suggestions for changes to my P2 and I shall commence playtesting the shift in bulk.

Your argument for Grimmsnarl makes sense to me, I'll have to playtest with another move. Reflect makes sense for the support set I have going on, but on the other hand I just don't see too many physical threats that I can't pressure with my own offensive mons, although I believe that will require some big braining on my part that reflect could make up for.

Thank you so much for replying! None of my friends play Showdown so I really appreciate being able to talk with someone about teambuilding. I'm still super new to making my own teams which is why I'm so proud of this one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)