VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been toying with Charizard Y + Venusaur (as all noob pokémon fanboys) and since my LO slot is taken, I had Wide Lens on Saur to help with Sleep Powder awful accuracy, but it seems its item isn't doing much for it, so if I decide to give up Lens for Coba Berry...

Is Growth absurd over Sleep Powder?

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a VGC team with Mega Houndoom and I'd like a little advice. Currently, I have Sableye with Taunt/Wisp/Sunny Day/Foul Play and it's working actually really well. I have in my arsenal Scarf Salamence, Garchomp, Gyarados, and Aegislash. I've sort of hit a plateu though with the other members of my team, could anyone offer any help? I'm good with the Mega-Doom combo as is, but I was looking for more ways to improve the team overall

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
sorry if its a dumb question but why is salamence s on the viability rankings thread
Salamence is most probably S-Class due to how it fits well on a lot of teams. It provides Intimidate support while also being fast with Scarf and all around a hard hitter while on top of that having a very viable movepool. It hasn't stopped being one of the most used Pokemon in VGC this season, and I think I've explained well enough why :]

For example.
Lucario has 90 base speed, but when mega evolve, it increases to 112, will he outspeed Charizard or any other with 100 base speed in the same turn he mega-evolved?

For example.
Lucario has 90 base speed, but when mega evolve, it increases to 112, will he outspeed Charizard or any other with 100 base speed in the same turn he mega-evolved?
As others said, no. But that is why a lot of people choose to Protect on the mega evolution turn.

That happens only with the speed or also with the other stats?
Technically, all stats change immediately upon mega evolution, including speed. It's just that, as WreckDra mentioned, turn order is chosen before the pokemon's speed changes from the mega evolution, so the speed change is irrelevant. (Though, moves like Gyro Ball would use the new speed stat in calculating base power) Like this:

-You choose moves, and choose to mega evolve
-Game calculates turn order based on current (un-mega-evolved) speed and move priority and resolves any speed ties
-Your pokemon mega evolves, and its stats change to reflect the new base stats

That is why speed changes are irrelevant, but attack and defense changes do still matter, because unlike deciding turn order, damage is done after mega evolving.

Welcome to the new and improved VGC SQSA. The old one was over 2 years old, so it seemed like a good time to start with a fresh new thread. The OP will be updated when the VGC 13 rules come out to add that to the FAQ, but for now enjoy! Happy asking!

[jump=rules]Rules[/jump]
[jump=faq]FAQ[/jump]

[a]rules[/a]Rules

1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other cheating devices or illegal things.
2. Your answers should contain a brief description, unless it's a yes or no question.
3. Make sure to quote the question you're answering, otherwise it can be confusing.
4. Read all the stickies in the subforum and all the FAQ before asking questions.
5. Be polite, even if someone asks a question you think should be obvious, not everyone is as experienced with VGC as you!
6. If you need team advice, you're better off posting an RMT in the RMT Section. Remember to read all the stickies there and be sure to follow the rules.

[a]faq[/a]Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VGC?
A: The Video Game Championships, VGC for short, is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50 (any moves they learn after level 50 will be retained, their stats will just be adjusted to match how they would at Level 50). It is played in person on the DS at Regionals around the country, Nationals, and Worlds. The rules change yearly, however event Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Shaymin-S, Arceus, and Victini) are always banned.

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: You can find free VGC Pokemon here.

Q: Where can I learn VGC?
A: We have a tutoring program that will pick up again once the VGC 13 rules are announced. You can find that here.

Q: What's a good set for _____?
A: We have an analyses section on site, which you can find here. If you'd like to contribute, you can help out here.

Q: Are Black & White 2 Pokemon / moves / items allowed during October regionals?
A: No, these are not allowed for October, though BW2 will be legal for the rest of the season afterwards.
**NOTE: These are VGC 12 analyses**

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is it common for VG Premier Challenges to charge for entry/are they allowed to? I just found out about a local event this Saturday but it's charging a modest amount for entry. I just feel a little weird because I've never paid to enter a VG event before.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
The entrance fee for premier challenges is new, but I am pretty sure it is only premier challenges that will have it. So the normal tours leading up to worlds and the international wifi challenges shouldn't.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it common for VG Premier Challenges to charge for entry/are they allowed to? I just found out about a local event this Saturday but it's charging a modest amount for entry. I just feel a little weird because I've never paid to enter a VG event before.
Fairly common and should become more regular. I'll be changing my events to paid soon as I'd like to put out prizes without paying out of pocket and would also like to bring in revenue from the stores who are letting me run events there for free. Most organizers don't even have free venues and are instead paying for them so it has to come from somewhere.

It might be soon, but since ORAS is coming very soon, we might just wait it out till VGC2015 comes.
Considering the current VGC2014 format will now include move tutors until it switches over to ORAS, I would expect they make this change given there are still PCs and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)