VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a life orb mixed Salamence, does it generally prefer Draco or Dragon Pulse?
The ones I have seen run Choice Scarf use both, since you usually switch in and out to recovery from the SP.ATK loss.

Life Orb mixed if you are planning on doing physical attacks after a Draco then you would get one big hit with it, but if you need to use a SP.ATK later you would not have the power.

And Life Orb you wouldn't be switching in and out too often if you are losing HP with attacking and being attacked.

I hope that is clear, it sounded better in my head.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I noticed this on the june intl challenge rules:

• (6) Learned by Smeargle using the move Sketch (note that only moves known by Pokémon having a National Pokédex number of 1--718 and that fulfill conditions 1--5 above can be learned using Sketch.)
Does this effectively ban dark void?

I think it is just saying that all of those methods are legit, Dark Void Smeargle is allowed though as Darkrai is in the National Dex and learns Dark Void from leveling up.

Okay, so my team for this weekend's June VGC international comp is so far:

Sash Adamant Mamoswine
Rocky Helmet Effect Spore Amoonguss
DD Mega Tyranitar
LO Salamence
Support Jumpluff

The problem is, I realized I hadn't picked out a sixth. At this point I don't have time to breed anything else, so my choices are limited to what I've already bred, which are listed below. My question is, which one of these do you think I should pick and why? (Assume the above five mons are set in stone)

Semi-Defensive Imprison/Protect Gardevoir (helps ease prediction, though it's really meant to be paired with Mega Kanga)
Slightly Offensive Rotom-W (always a good choice.)
Quick Guard / Tailwind Talonflame (Quick Guard and Tailwind are both useful support, though probably quick guard moreso for fake outs and ice shards)
LO HP Ice Pyroar (helps vs. non-scarf Salamence and Garchomp)

Okay, so my team for this weekend's June VGC international comp is so far:

Sash Adamant Mamoswine
Rocky Helmet Effect Spore Amoonguss
DD Mega Tyranitar
LO Salamence
Support Jumpluff

The problem is, I realized I hadn't picked out a sixth. At this point I don't have time to breed anything else, so my choices are limited to what I've already bred, which are listed below. My question is, which one of these do you think I should pick and why? (Assume the above five mons are set in stone)

Semi-Defensive Imprison/Protect Gardevoir (helps ease prediction, though it's really meant to be paired with Mega Kanga)
Slightly Offensive Rotom-W (always a good choice.)
Quick Guard / Tailwind Talonflame (Quick Guard and Tailwind are both useful support, though probably quick guard moreso for fake outs and ice shards)
LO HP Ice Pyroar (helps vs. non-scarf Salamence and Garchomp)

Personally I would drop Jumpluff for your Rotom-W and Talonflame. You definitely don't need Pyroar if you have Mamoswine. You want Talonflame for a better check to Zard-Y and Kangaskhan, and you want Rotom-W for the same reason. I don't see Jumpluff being better than either of those if you already have amoonguss for sleep. The priority from Talonflame is really really important though Tailwind is also gonna be really nice for your menace and tyranitar.

Weird question from someone that sucks at battling in general.
If wabbufett isn't banned from vgc and is banned from even ubers in smogon then why isn't it used in competitive vgc teams if it ruins pokemon that badly?

Personally I would drop Jumpluff for your Rotom-W and Talonflame. You definitely don't need Pyroar if you have Mamoswine. You want Talonflame for a better check to Zard-Y and Kangaskhan, and you want Rotom-W for the same reason. I don't see Jumpluff being better than either of those if you already have amoonguss for sleep. The priority from Talonflame is really really important though Tailwind is also gonna be really nice for your menace and tyranitar.
Jumpluff is most likely sticking around because it performs a different role than Amoonguss, Amoonguss is mainly there to screw over Mega Kanga with Rage Powder, Jumpluff is there for support including to sleep fast pokemon like YZard or Kanga, even through Safeguard. Also, I really want to use it, lol.

So, lets say someone was putting a gun to my head and forcing me to use the five pokemon I listed. Would you say Talonflame or Rotom-W would better suit my team? I was considering running Talonflame, but I feel like then my team would be too weak to intimidate, no?

Weird question from someone that sucks at battling in general.
If wabbufett isn't banned from vgc and is banned from even ubers in smogon then why isn't it used in competitive vgc teams if it ruins pokemon that badly?
Wobbuffet isn't banned from Smogon OU and hasn't been since Gen IV. To my knowledge it's never been banned from Ubers.

And it's not used in VGC because it can't force things to attack it like it sometimes can in Singles. Basically, your opponent simply double attacks the other pokemon, and Wobbu becomes dead weight.

Can someone explain to me why rotom W is always used in 95% of vgc teams?
Note that I have the competitive knowledge of a block of cheese and am sorry for asking such a stupid question.

Jumpluff is most likely sticking around because it performs a different role than Amoonguss, Amoonguss is mainly there to screw over Mega Kanga with Rage Powder, Jumpluff is there for support including to sleep fast pokemon like YZard or Kanga, even through Safeguard. Also, I really want to use it, lol.

So, lets say someone was putting a gun to my head and forcing me to use the five pokemon I listed. Would you say Talonflame or Rotom-W would better suit my team? I was considering running Talonflame, but I feel like then my team would be too weak to intimidate, no?
Just use washing machine.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Can someone explain to me why rotom W is always used in 95% of vgc teams?
Note that I have the competitive knowledge of a block of cheese and am sorry for asking such a stupid question.
I'd say it's actually more split evenly between rotom-w and rotom-h, instead of everything being W.

It's great for most of the same reasons that it's used in OU:
- fantastic typing
- can spread burns which is very helpful in this very physical metagame
- levitate for EQs
and in general it's just a great "glue" defensive mon that helps to round out a lot of teams

Rotom-h is also used a lot because it's pretty much the only defensive fire type and utterly screws over m-char-Y, m-mawile, ferrothorn, and amoongus

I swear I get worse with each challenge. I tried to overcome the fire weakness I had and now I just get beat down by Trick Room.

Any thoughts on a Poké or tactic to counter Trick Room teams? My slower Pokémon just are not attackers.

I use
M-Manectric
Salamence
Tyranitar
Mr. Mime
Rotom-W
Sableye

I swear I get worse with each challenge. I tried to overcome the fire weakness I had and now I just get beat down by Trick Room.

Any thoughts on a Poké or tactic to counter Trick Room teams? My slower Pokémon just are not attackers.

I use
M-Manectric
Salamence
Tyranitar
Mr. Mime
Rotom-W
Sableye
Your options are: running Trick Room on Mr. Mime or Taunt on Sableye (or Tyranitar, not as good though). Taunt on Sableye won't however stop Aromatisse, Slowbro/king, or anything with a Mental herb, whereas Trick Room on Mr. Mime loses you a support move. Just looking at your team I don't honestly see what Sableye does for your team other than make you weaker to Fairies, Rotom-W spreads Burns, Mega Manectric and Salamence have intimidate which also lowers Attack, and Mr. Mime gives you a support option with little offensive pressure. I think replacing Sableye with Aegislash would help with Trick Room. Wide Guard Aegislash looks like it would fit this team, it would then be better to run Quick Guard on Mr. Mime if you aren't already. Aegislash still pretty much stops Mega Kangaskhan even without Substitute, and stopping Mega Kangaskhan is why you're even using Sableye, yes?

Your options are: running Trick Room on Mr. Mime or Taunt on Sableye (or Tyranitar, not as good though). Taunt on Sableye won't however stop Aromatisse, Slowbro/king, or anything with a Mental herb, whereas Trick Room on Mr. Mime loses you a support move. Just looking at your team I don't honestly see what Sableye does for your team other than make you weaker to Fairies, Rotom-W spreads Burns, Mega Manectric and Salamence have intimidate which also lowers Attack, and Mr. Mime gives you a support option with little offensive pressure. I think replacing Sableye with Aegislash would help with Trick Room. Wide Guard Aegislash looks like it would fit this team, it would then be better to run Quick Guard on Mr. Mime if you aren't already. Aegislash still pretty much stops Mega Kangaskhan even without Substitute, and stopping Mega Kangaskhan is why you're even using Sableye, yes?
Sableye is there for Taunting and Foulplay, oh and the occasional Fake Out.. Mainly when I know the Safeguard + Swagger is coming for Kangaskhan or whoever benefits.

My switch ins are usually Rotom-W, Sableye, or Mr. Mime. Sableye has seen less work lately though, as well as Rotom-W for me. With Mr. Mime and Quick Guard I don't worry about Talonflame as much.

I think I need to key in better when a Trick Room team is coming, which I have completely missed during the team select screen.

Maybe with Mr. Mime I could drop Fake Out for Trick Room. I don't use Fake Out as often on Mr. Mime as I use to. I know his move-set seems terrible, but in the battles I actually win he is usually the VIP. Mine is Filter with Bold Nature and Fake Out, Icy Wind, Quick Guard, and Wide Guard.

He is actually the only Pokémon on my team that I am happy with.

Plus it is still nice to see Dragons attack him for no damage.

Also I think in tweaking my team to cover a weakness from the previous challenges has left my team out of sync. Maybe a complete reboot is needed.

I completely suck at battling.

I realize any point I try to make is going to sound like, boohoo I lose, but you all suck for using the same top 8 Pokémon, but you toss one oddball in to be original.

I made most of my team look like past tournament winning teams with a few changes I thought would fit. I practice on Showdown and still I stay at a .500 record.

I cannot see what I do any different with my team, other then I lose coin flips and get hit with flinch or low accuracy moves more often.

I moved 2nd to every Choice Scarfed Salamence with my Salamence. I missed more Will-O-Wisp with my Rotom-W then I saw my opponent miss.

I have absolutely zero luck when it comes to battling. I make all the right switches and predictions and just fail.

It really is no fun anymore.

Anyone know of guides or youtube videos, that I may not have watched, that help me get over this hurdle?

First off I said I know this is going to sound like, "you all suck for using the same top 8 Pokémon, but you toss one oddball in to be original." That is not what I am saying.

As far as making the right predictions and switches, I can figure out what someone is doing and make a change and have it backfire. It is not arrogance and I am not saying Hax beat me, I hate that term hax. And if you listen to other tournament winners, they say luck plays a part in every win. I said I have bad luck, not that hax are beating me.

I abuse hax as much as I can really. I'm saying with I am using Hydro Pump and my opponent is using Hydro Pump and he hits 3 times in a row and I miss 3 times in a row, my luck sucks. Has nothing to do with hax when we both have the same % to hit.

And I nowhere stated I was perfect. I think I suck at battling.

And I have been battling awhile and unable to get over this .500 average. I have even been a gym leader on other forums, not by my choosing, but by the forum.

Nothing I try gets me over .500.

Beta Competition 31 won 29 lost
International May 32 won 28 lost
Think Fast 13 won 17 lost
International June 31 won 29 lost

I don't think I am losing because I get hax'd, I said no luck on my side.

Which I pointed out my Salamence vs opponent's Salamence and the opponent's moves first, mine is Timid, 252 EVs, and Choice Scarf, this is a coin flip loss, not sure how my bad luck is a statement of if it was not for my opponent getting to go first I would be the greatest. I was stating my luck, not putting anyone down.

And I don't find it mean, I find it strange that you take every point I was trying not to say and make it into this is what you are saying.

If I was that arrogant I would not be posting I suck, what can I do.

And I am not mad about losing. I am use to it. I am honestly seeking a way to change my luck.
I've deleted my post it was too mean but you have clearly missed the point of it I'm sorry.

You are right I missed your point. I said I suck and have bad luck, could anyone help me with finding guides or youtube videos to take my game to the next level, to which you reply that I was arrogant and singled out words or statements you did not like in my post.

So if anyone could help me with a link to a guide or youtube videos that help with team synergy, I would greatly appreciate it.

As far as youtube my main research has been from RitualxZero and CybertronProductions, I have skimmed a few other channels, but those are my main reference channels.

"Hax" = bad luck; unfavorable RNG rolls.

If you're losing more than you like, review your losses and see what you're losing to. If you're a beginner I suggest just using really standard stuff so you familiarize yourself with the game first and can start building teams on your own. It's a slow process, but it'll help you get better.

Also, don't complain. Seriously. Especially when it comes to the "everyone uses the same Pokemon!!" thing. Every successful player finds ways to exploit the metagame, and while no more than a couple stuff is mostly their own creation, this is simply the nature of a competitive environment. People use good stuff to win. So, if you want to do well, do the same thing. It would be chaotic if every team was wildly different; you wouldn't even know how to build teams, because, well, what would you know what to plan to beat?

The RNG also doesn't hate you more than anyone else. If you actually went out and counted the number of times an unlikely event happened in your matches, and those anomalies happened against you most of the time, you're doing something wrong. If you continuously let your opponent attacks you of course you're going to get crit and flinch and frozen more than you yourself will. It's part of controlling hax.

Here's an example. You have a Rotom-W at 1 HP and an Aerodactyl also at 1 HP. You're facing a Charizard Y, also at 1 HP. The speed tiers here are Aerodactyl > Charizard > Rotom-W. So, you go for the Rock Slide... And miss! Charizard then fires off a Heat Wave, KOs both your Pokemon, and you lose the game. It's easy to complain that you lost the game because of hax, but if you look closer, you would have turned a 100% chance to win into a 90% chance. The right play there would have been to Tailwind + Protect. You'll probably lose Aerodactyl, but you ensure Rotom-W can outspeed Charizard and KO with a 100% accurate Thunderbolt.

tldr; stop complaining and practice, practice, practice

My team also consist of Tyranitar, Salamence, and Rotom-W, 3 of those top 8 Pokémon. I was not complaining about what people were using, I said anything I say is going to sound like I am complaining about everyone using the same 6 out of 8 Pokémon.

I said my luck was bad, like how my Timid, 31 SPD, 252 EV SPD, and Choice Scarf Salamence, moves after my opponent's Salamence.

And I was not trying to sound arrogant by saying I make all the right switches and predictions. I meant I understand what to do, like I have lost to teams that have used Dragon attacks on my Mr. Mime. I have seen my opponent make mistakes and I still have lost due to just terrible luck on my side. And by bad luck I mean the rare miss with a 95% accurate move, nothing to do with my opponent.

I was asking for help, not complaining. I did not say I lost to someone's hax, I said my bad luck. If I lose the coin flip, is that not my bad luck?

I am looking for help to move out of the middle of the pack.

I understand practicing helps, I do practice. I use Showdown and I am a Gym Leader on another forum, not saying being a gym leader on another forum makes me great, just saying I practice.

I just can't figure out what I need to do to make that move. I mean I have been playing since Red/Blue and still just in the middle.

Well, if you still think bad luck (ie, hax) is a big part of a lot of your losses, I don't really know what to say tbh.

You will lose, and you will lose a lot. That's the nature of the game. The only thing you can do it just to move on and always pay attention to the things that are giving you problems.

Don't complain about luck please. Your luck isn't worse than anyone else's.

So in my last battle my Tyranitar vs my opponent's Tyranitar, both our last Pokémon and his at half HP and mine at full HP, I get flinched 3 times in a row by Rock Slide and lose. I can't say I had bad luck there?

I am still looking for guides to read or videos to watch to help me out.

So in my last battle my Tyranitar vs my opponent's Tyranitar, both our last Pokémon and his at half HP and mine at full HP, I get flinched 3 times in a row by Rock Slide and lose. I can't say I had bad luck there?

I am still looking for guides to read or videos to watch to help me out.
You are... Misinterpreting what I said. Where did I ever say you've never had bad luck? What I said was that you've also had a lot of favorable RNG rolls, and that blaming all your losses on luck is silly. Even in games where it looks like luck wasn't in your favor, there were things in that battle that you could have done better.

I have not seen anything for discussion on the Eevee Friendly, so if posting here is wrong I apologize.

I am not familiar with Rotation Battles, but I am going to give it a try.

I have bred a HP Ground Eevee for my Jolteon, I was thinking a Magic Bounce Espeon, and Cleric Sylveon. I was planning on bringing Umbreon and Flareon or Leafeon and Flareon and maybe try some Sunny Day theme.

However I was thinking of maybe a gimmick for the 6th slot with an Eviolite Eevee. Use it more as a defensive pivot or something like Quick Attack and last Resort gimmick.

Giving that all opponents will be using some form of Eevee, would Eviolite Eevee carry any weight? I was thinking maybe of using Baby-Doll Eyes as well.

Maybe Careful nature with EVs invested in HP and SP.DEF with the 4 remaining in DEF. Which would be like 192 SP.DEF, just shy of Sylveon and Umbreon's 200 SP.DEF potential.

Which pokemon would appreciate Liepard and Gourgeist-S on the team?
The former would be there to generally disrupt the opponent's moves, while the latter is still a fairly top notch late game pokemon that can absolutely wall Kangaskhan, and generally survive almost everything.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I said my luck was bad, like how my Timid, 31 SPD, 252 EV SPD, and Choice Scarf Salamence, moves after my opponent's Salamence.

And I was not trying to sound arrogant by saying I make all the right switches and predictions. I meant I understand what to do, like I have lost to teams that have used Dragon attacks on my Mr. Mime. I have seen my opponent make mistakes and I still have lost due to just terrible luck on my side. And by bad luck I mean the rare miss with a 95% accurate move, nothing to do with my opponent.
Try doing this: Every time you or the opponent uses a move that has a chance of a miss, flinch, whatever, write it down. Now do a whole ton of battles.
Add up all of the times rock slide hit, missed, flinched, critted, and so on, and you should see that they roughly equal the given percentages of that happening.

Our brains tend to remember bad things happening much more than they remember good things. So you only tend to remember the times you lost due to hax, while you forget the times you won due to it. Writing these things down removes that mental bias and lets you see that it all evens out in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)