Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Hey, just wondering if there Is there a resource with standard EV spreads for VGC anywhere? A lot of the mons listed in viability aren't on smogon.com/dex and as someone getting into VGC idk what benchmarks to hit or where to find them. Thanks.

Hey, just wondering if there Is there a resource with standard EV spreads for VGC anywhere? A lot of the mons listed in viability aren't on smogon.com/dex and as someone getting into VGC idk what benchmarks to hit or where to find them. Thanks.
To add to Serpens007's answer, a lot of the analyses are still being worked on. If you don't see an analysis listed on the site, check the subforum where they're being worked on.

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Hello. I'm new to VCG (I thought I'd give it a try and I'm enjoying it so far.). Is there a thread or resource that helps with team building or you can look at sample teams?

Hello. I'm new to VCG (I thought I'd give it a try and I'm enjoying it so far.). Is there a thread or resource that helps with team building or you can look at sample teams?
Yeah, my guy, we've currently got a viability thread we've been working on for a handful of months now (link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-2018-viability-rankings.3622041/ ) Also, the VGC discord is really neat place to hang out (it's the best smogon discord, imo) with people almost constantly teambuilding and hypothecising about what'll work and all that. (link: https://discord.gg/AqXKWB ) The VGC community is super neat and we're glad to have you here :')

Maybe it was already asked before, but why isnt Stealth Rock used by pretty much anybody at all?
Yes, I know its only 4v4 and not as much switching happens as in 6v6 singles, but just look at those matches, Incineroar switching in and out to get off more intimidates, Mega Charizard Y and Zapdos' prevalence, and almost all Pokémon would take at least neutral damage (bar MegaGeoss and Kartana)

Maybe it was already asked before, but why isnt Stealth Rock used by pretty much anybody at all?
Yes, I know its only 4v4 and not as much switching happens as in 6v6 singles, but just look at those matches, Incineroar switching in and out to get off more intimidates, Mega Charizard Y and Zapdos' prevalence, and almost all Pokémon would take at least neutral damage (bar MegaGeoss and Kartana)
Yknow, now that you say it, stealth rock could work this meta. Thanks, I’m stealing your idea.:psysly:

Nobody really preps for stealth rock at all in vgc, and while it might not stack up as much damage as in OU, I’m fairly confident that it’ll chunk a fair portion out of their teams collective HP, more than if you just used a regular move in stealth rock’s place. Even if it’s just to discourage Incineroar, this could be very useful this meta, in theory.
It’s probably gonna get dunked on in practice though. Try it before some Korean dude does.

Last edited:
Aside from bulk and typing to reduce vulnerabilities and increase longevity, what are things that separate good Tailwind-ers from bad?

For example, Zapdos is seen as an excellent Tailwind-er. Great typing, good bulk. Braviary seems great as well due to Defiant being a great surprise counter to the incessant presence of intimidate, and of course his bulk as well.

Last edited:
I want clear defined list or where to find them of the major VGC regionals, internationals, and championships, even locals and majors is cool. The Pokemon website is really confusing. So I can keep track of the meta, winners, winning teams, and so I can watch the videos online thanks.

I want clear defined list or where to find them of the major VGC regionals, internationals, and championships, even locals and majors is cool. The Pokemon website is really confusing. So I can keep track of the meta, winners, winning teams, and so I can watch the videos online thanks.
trainertower.com should do the trick.

What's a good way to get started in and learn VGC?
I learned through YouTube videos. Aaron Zheng (Cybertron), Lee Provost (Osiris) and James Baek all have regular uploads where they ladder and explain what they do. I assume you’re familiar with the basics of competitive Pokémon (evs, Ivs, etc) in which case this is a great way to understand how to think while playing doubles while also getting an understanding of the meta. Other channels that are good but upload less often are Baz Anderson, Jaime Boyt, and Wolfe Glick. You can also watch streamed tournaments, starting with worlds in a month.

Beyond that, copying teams and playing on showdown is a good way to apply what you’ve learned from those videos. Just keep track of your mistakes and all the mechanics that are different and you’ll get the hang of it before long.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One of the most common Hawlucha EV spreads is Adamant nature 172 HP / 124 Atk / 28 Def / 132 SpD / 52 Spe. I'm wondering why this spread is used?

Even the Speed confuses me - it reaches a stat of 145. The closest benchmark I can find is Adamant Landorus at 143 i.e. with Unburden, outspeeding Lando-T in Tailwind, but that seems like a strange benchmark givne that Hawlucha commonly uses Tailwind.

One of the most common Hawlucha EV spreads is Adamant nature 172 HP / 124 Atk / 28 Def / 132 SpD / 52 Spe. I'm wondering why this spread is used?
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 172 HP / 28 Def Hawlucha: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. +1 172 HP / 132 SpD Hawlucha: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. +1 172 HP / 132 SpD Hawlucha in Electric Terrain: 152-180 (86.8 - 102.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

-1 124+ Atk Hawlucha Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 90-108 (49.7 - 59.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Those are probably the calcs that spread is going for, with the speed creep just for scenarios where they get tailwind up and yours has run out, or where you haven't activated unburden yet.

Honestly though I wouldn't look too hard at showdown ladder spreads, especially for mons with such low usage.

What is the difference between VGC PS and VGC PGL

Also what are the best move sets and EV spreads for Mega Manectric and Tapu Bulu?

What is the difference between VGC PS and VGC PGL

Also what are the best move sets and EV spreads for Mega Manectric and Tapu Bulu?
There is no functional difference between VGC on Showdown and on the Battle Spot (PGL). However, battle spot tends to have more Japanese and Korean players. The 1500 or 1630 statistics for PS should be pretty similar to Battle Spot stats.

For Manectric, you need max speed timid or at the very least 220 speed timid. You can run max special attack or you can put more in bulk, depends on the team. I prefer bulk since at the end of the day you're not looking to sweep with Manectric. Figure out what you need overheat or HP Ice to KO, and run enough SpA to go that.

Bulu can run scarf, in which case it needs more speed, or a bulkier set. The only requirement is that your HP is divisible by 16 to maximize grassy terrain recovery. You probably want to run adamant, but you have options for the rest of the EVs and set.

Here are a few team reports you can read that contain their sets.

There is no functional difference between VGC on Showdown and on the Battle Spot (PGL). However, battle spot tends to have more Japanese and Korean players. The 1500 or 1630 statistics for PS should be pretty similar to Battle Spot stats.

For Manectric, you need max speed timid or at the very least 220 speed timid. You can run max special attack or you can put more in bulk, depends on the team. I prefer bulk since at the end of the day you're not looking to sweep with Manectric. Figure out what you need overheat or HP Ice to KO, and run enough SpA to go that.

Bulu can run scarf, in which case it needs more speed, or a bulkier set. The only requirement is that your HP is divisible by 16 to maximize grassy terrain recovery. You probably want to run adamant, but you have options for the rest of the EVs and set.

Here are a few team reports you can read that contain their sets.
Thanks man! I really appreciate it!

However, why wouldn't I wanna sweep with Manectric? I've swept teams with him in Singles before, so why not?

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!

However, why wouldn't I wanna sweep with Manectric? I've swept teams with him in Singles before, so why not?
Frail attackers generally don’t have the same role in singles as in doubles. In singles if you outspeed and ohko every Pokémon on your opponent’s team, you’re going to win. In doubles you ko one Pokémon with manectric, and the other Pokémon on their side of the field kos you back. Or worse, the Pokémon you attacked protected and you get KO’d back. It’s the same reason any number of frail, fast sweepers which are broken in singles (Greninja, Pheromosa, etc) aren’t that great in doubles.

Manectric has a niche for a few reasons:

Before mega evolving it has lightningrod, which deters electric attacks until you mega evolve. Depending on the matchup you might just not mega evolve until you need the boosted speed/damage.

Intimidate us really really good in doubles, dropping both pokemon’s Attack stat.

Manectric has snarl so it can also drop opponent’s special attack stat. This is especially good paired next to gothitelle, so you can trap opponents and systematically lower their attacking stats until they can’t do damage, then set up something like snorlax.

Volt switch allows it to do a decent amount of damage, and switch out before taking damage due to its high speed. It also gives you momentum because pokemon often switch out after their attack is dropped.

Finally, overheat/flamethrower let it threaten grass types like Kartana and ferrothorn that otherwise wall common electric types.

Hope that helps!

Since 2019 will probably be Gen 7 version of 2016, which restricts do you guys think will be the most popular? Like the primals, Ray and Xern in 2016

What are the best ways to deal with Evasion boosting or accuracy lowering gimmicks Pokemon? Those things drive me up the wall AND I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE THOSE FRICKIN MINIMIZE POKEMON-

Also, what are the best ways to deal with Spore teams? You know, the teams that keep putting your Pokemon to sleep.

Jesus christ sorry about the initial comments, thought this was the OU q&a thread
Just use Haze and/or Kartana with Smart Strike for Minimize and Tapu Fini to prevent sleep to all grounded Pokemon

What are the best ways to deal with Evasion boosting or accuracy lowering gimmicks Pokemon? Those things drive me up the wall AND I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE THOSE FRICKIN MINIMIZE POKEMON-

Also, what are the best ways to deal with Spore teams? You know, the teams that keep putting your Pokemon to sleep.
Well played evasion guard split is tough to beat. Snatch is a near 100% win con. Sub-toxic aegislash is also basically a 100% win con assuming you hit 1/16 toxics and can KO reuiniclus before guard split. Clear Smog is good but chansey can be a pain even without evasion boosts after guard split.

As for spore spam, just run fini/koko on your team, or a taunt user, or even a strong psychic type will KO it provided you don't let them get TR up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)