Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Welcome to the VGC edition of SQSA! If you are looking to have a question answered that can be done in a single post, please put it here instead of starting a new thread.

Rules
  1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other forms of cheating
  2. Your question should include at least a brief explanation
  3. Please quote the question you are answering, otherwise it can get confusing
  4. Please do a Google search before asking the question
  5. This goes without saying, but please follow all Smogon rules and be respectful to others
Frequently Asked Questions

Q:
What is VGC?
A: VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, and is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are all double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50. It is played on the 3DS at events ranging from local Premier challenges, larger Regional tournaments, National tournaments, and culminating in the World Championship..

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: People will occasionally post giveaways here.

Q: How do I find events to participate in?
A: You can use the Pokemon.com event finder to local tournaments in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the UBs and Tapus, should I wait for bank to use the synchros I have, if that mechanic still works...or should I just start SRing now?

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For the UBs and Tapus, should I wait for bank to use the synchros I have, if that mechanic still works...or should I just start SRing now?
synchronize mechanic still works.

if you have events in December, which is before bank comes out, then I would advise getting those pokemon asap. There should be giveaways happening soon to help you get them if you would like to play in events but wait till bank to reset your own. If you want to use your own then start resetting now. I have been using Alakazam as my Synchronizer

synchronize mechanic still works.

if you have events in December, which is before bank comes out, then I would advise getting those pokemon asap. There should be giveaways happening soon to help you get them if you would like to play in events but wait till bank to reset your own. If you want to use your own then start resetting now. I have been using Alakazam as my Synchronizer
Thanks. I'll wait then, I don't have any events I plan on going to anytime soon.

I put an abra in the day care with a ditto and did Doughnuts outside the nursery for about an hour or two. (Note: when the lady outside crosses her arms, an egg is ready. She will do it when you are on screen too.) Got most of my syncro pokemon that way.

I put an abra in the day care with a ditto and did Doughnuts outside the nursery for about an hour or two. (Note: when the lady outside crosses her arms, an egg is ready. She will do it when you are on screen too.) Got most of my syncro pokemon that way.
Good advice, but I don't really want to do work I've already done.

I'm struggling to put together this sun and Moon Team .me and my friends are running vgc rules on single battles .But anyway so far on my team, i have mimikyu, wak and dhelmise .

I want to add a wall but have no idea who to add. So far I can tell I'll have problems with dark types ,but what do you think of my team .what do I need to add to it.

My ideas would be to add either weavile or muk to counter dark

what is the framework for a vgc 2017 team. I know in 2016 it would be something like two restricted core, one mega pokemon, one speed controller/support, one disruptor/wall support and one random.

what is the framework for a vgc 2017 team. I know in 2016 it would be something like two restricted core, one mega pokemon, one speed controller/support, one disruptor/wall support and one random.
Uh the 2017 format is no megas no Pokemon caught outside alola

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Uh the 2017 format is no megas no Pokemon caught outside alola
That's a ruleset, not a framework

I don't think one's really been established yet, and I'm not sure there ever even will be. The closest thing is just basic weather and now terrain control, so I guess you could build around a tapu or a weather mon.

I have two questions.
  1. I'm struggling to build a team. Where should I go for some help? I'm not smart enough to write a whole RMT.
  2. What events can I go to in Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, or New Jersey?

Question about Sun&Moon mechanics... (not sure whether this is the right place to ask or not)
What do you get from using Nature Power and Secret Power in Psychic Terrain?

Question about Sun&Moon mechanics... (not sure whether this is the right place to ask or not)
What do you get from using Nature Power and Secret Power in Psychic Terrain?
Nature Power becomes Psychic. Not sure about Secret Power.

Hi guys, I'm trying to get into VGC 17. I'd like to build a Hail team. Do you think it can be competitive or would it be better if I built a Sun team?
Do you have any suggestions of Pokémon I should include in one of these two teams?

Hi guys, I'm trying to get into VGC 17. I'd like to build a Hail team. Do you think it can be competitive or would it be better if I built a Sun team?
Do you have any suggestions of Pokémon I should include in one of these two teams?
I guess it depends on ur battle style. sun support an utilize things like mega houndooms solar power and harvest exeggutor. hail team can have snow cloak glaeon and ice body mons like walrein. I personally like the sun support idea but adding a few different ideas, like flare blitz darmanitan can wreak havok in sun with life orb or choice band. I also made a moveset for combusken as a no attak support mon 252 att 252 speed 4 hp with sword dance, substitute, protect and baton pass. try different items i dont have one for set.

"certain special pokemon" is all that I've heard about what can't be used (besides the obvious Alolan Pokédex only). What is the complete list of pokemon that can't be used?

I guess it depends on ur battle style. sun support an utilize things like mega houndooms solar power and harvest exeggutor. hail team can have snow cloak glaeon and ice body mons like walrein. I personally like the sun support idea but adding a few different ideas, like flare blitz darmanitan can wreak havok in sun with life orb or choice band. I also made a moveset for combusken as a no attak support mon 252 att 252 speed 4 hp with sword dance, substitute, protect and baton pass. try different items i dont have one for set.
Megas aren't allowed, and Walrein, Darmanitan, and Combusken aren't in the Alola Dex.

Hail's biggest advantage right now is Aurora Veil, which sets up both Light Screen and Reflect at once, but only if Hail is active. Hail is going to focus more on goodstuffs that can abuse Aurora Veil, I think. The main Sun users I've seen are Torkoal for sun-boosted Eruption and Lilligant for Chlorophyll + After You with Torkoal.

"certain special pokemon" is all that I've heard about what can't be used (besides the obvious Alolan Pokédex only). What is the complete list of pokemon that can't be used?
I'm pretty sure it's Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Marshadow, and Magearna.

Is Z-Parting Shot actually banned in all cartridge online play? or is it just unadvisable to use due to the glitch?

So, I'm trying to figure out a good tr/semi-tr team, but I'm kindof on an identity crisis on what mons I want to use. I'm not new to the tier though; I'm just having trouble figuring out this meta.

I think I want to build around tapu bulu, since it looks like building around a tapu is standard. If so, I think I'll go with a semiroom team. What tr setter/slow mode/fast mode mons should I run in this semiroom team? Or what tr mons should I run if semiroom is a bad idea in this meta?

Last edited:
You currently can't take Pokemon that know the move Parting Shot due to a glitch, right.
I believe it's Parting Shot and Memento as well, my sources may be wrong on Memento since I haven't verified that personally.

So, I'm trying to figure out a good tr/semi-tr team, but I'm kindof on an identity crisis on what mons I want to use. I'm not new to the tier though; I'm just having trouble figuring out this meta.

I think I want to build around tapu bulu, since it looks like building around a tapu is standard. If so, I think I'll go with a semiroom team. What tr setter/slow mode/fast mode mons should I run in this semiroom team? Or what tr mons should I run if semiroom is a bad idea in this meta?
I like this question, certainly not a simple one, but I'll try to give a simple answer that will at the very least be a response:
With Bulu, you may be happiest off with Muk counters (of all the Poison types this one is what I've experienced the most often outside of the extravagant doubles Nihilego attempts) if you've got zero ideas as to what you'd like to see in the fast/slow side of your semiroom team, Dugtrio would be a fast option, however the issue is that {252+ Atk Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Muk: 74-90 (41.1 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery} which means that Muk can make a mess for at least two turns unless you Choice Band/Expert Belt/Groundium Z your Dugtrio, but even then Gluttony Muk may be gaining interest, Grassy Terrain reduces EQ damage, so that's counter-intuitive, if you want a popular Poison counter you're going to want to look into Earth Power users (to cover Muk and the occasional Toxapex or Nihilego, let alone the other types weak to it). With this, and take this with a bag of salt if you've already got other monsters planned: Palossand surprisingly fits that niche very well, whether that gives you the inclination to try a Sandstorm team with Sand Veil, or to try and get the occasional use out of Water Compaction it may be your greatest anti-check ally, however unlike Dugtrio it will take up a "slow" slot.

Leaving the topic of Poison possibiltiies, fortunately with Bulu's typing you're not super afraid of Pheromosa as an opener {252 SpA Pheromosa Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 84-100 (57.9 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery} at least for one-hit wonders, showing the SpD calculation just for a "worst case scenario" if you run into Bulu's weaker defensive side. Having Bulu lets you worry less about Salamence (Dragon immunity and Salamence doesn't participate in Grassy recovery), however... {252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 153-182 (105.5 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO} does not appear pretty, maybe less aggressive Mence users will run Flamethrower for RNG mitigation, but it gives reason to worry since even 252 SpD on Bulu will just result in a 2HKO turnout.

That's all just my two cents, there's definitely more to talk about, but I'd rather someone else throw in their continuation or opposition to make sure this thought process is reasonable.

What's tough is there there are limited options in terms of speed control this year compared to previous years.

Here's a good resource for a lot of the Pokemon available in VGC17. There's a button to click for useful moves - under that are basically all of the speed control moves.

So looking at it Icy Wind users are lacking, the most viable ones probably being Ninetales, Weavile, or maybe Vanilluxe (but I don't see Vanilluxe being huge at any time). Thunder Wave has got a decent spot, but Thunder Wave's accuracy was nerfed + the speed when paralyzed is reduced to 1/2 not 1/4 like past generations which sucks. It looks like there are a number of Trick Room users that could turn out well - Porygon2, Oranguru, Whimsicott, Mimikyu, etc. (check the link I provided for all of them). Tailwind looks like it got hit in terms of what can use it this year - no tutor moves means less things can use Tailwind. Notable users now are Whimsicott, Aerodactyl, Pelipper (it got buffed somewhat), etc.

As for choosing something to pair with Tapu Bulu, Oranguru could work nicely as it provides the Trick Room you want and resists the Poison that Tapu Bulu is weak to. Instruct is a pretty strong move as well and can fit into teams easily. Then you could pair something like Torkoal (which was buffed this generation) with those two because Torkoal likes Trick Room as it's slow and Tapu Bulu gets rid of some of the things that gives it trouble generally speaking (Ground types, Water types, Rock types).

So I did a bit of research & browsing, and I think Oranguru/Misdreavus/Porygon2/Mimikyu (having a really hard time choosing a setter), Tapu Bulu, Hariyama, Gyarados, Togedemaru, and Salazzle might be a good team. It has a ton of variety while still potentially having much synergy and more than one core, potentially confusing the opponent (and possibly me lol). The two fake outters in my team can both help with either my trick roomer, dd gyarados, or even tapu bulu in a few ways. Nuzzle from togedemaru also helps bulu outspeed 130 spe mons with 44 EVs in speed, while (if this even happens often) hariyama will still out speed base 75-85ish speed mons while under trick room while they're paralyzed.. Salazzle is there to check celesteela, the tapus, and a few more.

You guys can ask about the sets a bit further if you want to, I just didn't want to give out too much information without your thoughts on this.

What are the cookie cutter(most common) natures I should look for in each tapu and UB. I want to get catching them out of the way but idk what natures

So I did a bit of research & browsing, and I think Oranguru/Misdreavus/Porygon2/Mimikyu (having a really hard time choosing a setter), Tapu Bulu, Hariyama, Gyarados, Togedemaru, and Salazzle might be a good team. It has a ton of variety while still potentially having much synergy and more than one core, potentially confusing the opponent (and possibly me lol). The two fake outters in my team can both help with either my trick roomer, dd gyarados, or even tapu bulu in a few ways. Nuzzle from togedemaru also helps bulu outspeed 130 spe mons with 44 EVs in speed, while (if this even happens often) hariyama will still out speed base 75-85ish speed mons while under trick room while they're paralyzed.. Salazzle is there to check celesteela, the tapus, and a few more.

You guys can ask about the sets a bit further if you want to, I just didn't want to give out too much information without your thoughts on this.
Watch out. You can't get Fake Out on Salazzle pre-Pokebank. AKA it's illegal before it comes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)