Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

What are good teammates to consider for a Tapu Bulu/Xurkitree core? I'm currently running Bulu/Xurk/Pelipper/Muk/Marowak/Gyarados (http://pastebin.com/wU9Xqsib), but I'm not sure how I feel about the last 2 members.

I like Pelipper and Muk since the former does a good job of supporting Xurk and Bulu likes rain while opposing Torkoals hate it, while the latter kills opposing Tapus and Marowaks, and benefits from grassy terrain.

Marowak likewise benefits from grassy terrain and lightning rod would be useful for Pelipper and Gyarados, but people tend to anticipate the ability and pack discharge to play around it. There is also the issue of anti-synergy with rain, and having it out at the wrong time can mean that Xurk can't get in with its thunder.

Gyarados feels meh. I like having access to intimidate, and roar and ice fang take care of TR setters and Garchomps, but it has underperformed in my ladder experience.

I do hope that this is an appropriate post for this thread. I tried to keep things concise, but if I need to take it to another thread I will do so happily.

Bright Size said:
Watch out. You can't get Fake Out on Salazzle pre-Pokebank. AKA it's illegal before it comes out.
Eh, I didn't plan to, although it'll be a possible option when it is legal. Hariyama and Yogedemaru are the ones with fake out. Also, do you have a recommendation for my setter? It looks like Oranguru and Porygon2 are the better options, but then again, z-destiny bond on mimikyu looks fun.

Eh, I didn't plan to, although it'll be a possible option when it is legal. Hariyama and Yogedemaru are the ones with fake out. Also, do you have a recommendation for my setter? It looks like Oranguru and Porygon2 are the better options, but then again, z-destiny bond on mimikyu looks fun.
I said Oranguru in my post because it resists Poison that Tapu Bulu is weak too and that it gets Instruct which is a good support move to allow things to hit twice, do stuff like Dragon Dance + Instruct with other members of the team, etc.

Bright Size said:
I said Oranguru in my post because it resists Poison that Tapu Bulu is weak too and that it gets Instruct which is a good support move to allow things to hit twice, do stuff like Dragon Dance + Instruct with other members of the team, etc.
Ok then, Oranguru it is! I was just reluctant to add it because it was linked to my team identity crisis >.>. Anything else about the team, or do you think it's just fine?
Also fyi, psychic doesn't resist poison, or at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It's alright though; typing charts are confusing sometimes.

Regelope said:
What are good teammates to consider for a Tapu Bulu/Xurkitree core? I'm currently running Bulu/Xurk/Pelipper/Muk/Marowak/Gyarados (http://pastebin.com/wU9Xqsib), but I'm not sure how I feel about the last 2 members.

I like Pelipper and Muk since the former does a good job of supporting Xurk and Bulu likes rain while opposing Torkoals hate it, while the latter kills opposing Tapus and Marowaks, and benefits from grassy terrain.

Marowak likewise benefits from grassy terrain and lightning rod would be useful for Pelipper and Gyarados, but people tend to anticipate the ability and pack discharge to play around it. There is also the issue of anti-synergy with rain, and having it out at the wrong time can mean that Xurk can't get in with its thunder.

Gyarados feels meh. I like having access to intimidate, and roar and ice fang take care of TR setters and Garchomps, but it has underperformed in my ladder experience.

I do hope that this is an appropriate post for this thread. I tried to keep things concise, but if I need to take it to another thread I will do so happily.
Celesteela is a solid partner for the core, being immune to both of those mons' (mon's?) main weaknesses (ground and poison). It also has a little synergy with rain, having one of it's weaknesses not being as much of a problem as it used to.
A-Ninetales also makes a good choice, taking care of the dragons that the core seems semi-weak too while also making the team a lot bulkier with Aurora Veil, making both Xurkitree and Tapu Bulu a huge pain to deal with, especially with horn leech on bulu.

I am also terrible with the type chart. It may not. I don't know. :I

About the team? I don't know, you'll really just have to use it a lot to grind out some of the finer issues.

Celesteela has been a good bread and butter pick so far. Try it out.

Kpola said:
What are the cookie cutter(most common) natures I should look for in each tapu and UB. I want to get catching them out of the way but idk what natures
Tapu Koko: Jolly (physical), Naive/Hasty (mixed), Timid (special)
Tapu Lele: Timid? Probably, but it could be Modest, idk.
Tapu Bulu: Adamant, Brave (full tr)
Tapu Fini: Still can't seem to figure out if she's even viable.

Nihelgo: Timid
Buzzwole: Adamant/Brave
Phermosa: Timid (special), Jolly (physical)
Xurkitree: Modest (or Timid if scarfed)
Kartana: Jolly
Celesteela: Soooo many different sets out there; I couldn't say just four.
Guzzlord: Quiet/Brave

You can catch multiples of most of the ultra beasts, so just catch one per nature (if only it were that simple for celesteela...).

PlatinumBlad3 said:
I have two questions.
  1. I'm struggling to build a team. Where should I go for some help? I'm not smart enough to write a whole RMT.
  2. What events can I go to in Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, or New Jersey?
The VGC room might be a little help, although competitive tutoring would probably be more reliable. I can't answer the second question though :/

You can catch multiples of most of the ultra beasts, so just catch one per nature (if only it were that simple for celesteela...).
I haven't gotten around to building up my UBs, still working on Koko, Bulu, and other standards but you can catch multiple UBs? I'm in Sun so no access to Celesteela, it'd make my life a whole heck of a lot easier knowing I could trade for one.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I haven't gotten around to building up my UBs, still working on Koko, Bulu, and other standards but you can catch multiple UBs? I'm in Sun so no access to Celesteela, it'd make my life a whole heck of a lot easier knowing I could trade for one.
In sun you can catch 1 nihilego and guzzlord, 2 xurkitree, 2 buzzwole, and 4 kartana.

In moon you can catch 4 pheromosa and 2 celesteela (and the shared UBs are the same)

Hey guys, I'm trying to build a team for vgc 2017. It's basically a goodstuff with the addition of Aurora Veil to bulk up the rest of the team. This is what I got so far:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 HP / 60 Atk / 68 Def / 172 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Protect
Any suggestions about what I should change or add? I think I need a Fairy killer, but I can't choose between Metagross and Kartana. I also think I should get something to hit Gengar effectively, as I can't really rely on Marowak's low speed stat.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm trying to build a team for vgc 2017. It's basically a goodstuff with the addition of Aurora Veil to bulk up the rest of the team. This is what I got so far:

Any suggestions about what I should change or add? I think I need a Fairy killer, but I can't choose between Metagross and Kartana. I also think I should get something to hit Gengar effectively, as I can't really rely on Marowak's low speed stat.
I think Celesteela and Garchomp are the two standard choices here to fill out a team (I actually plan on trying these 6 soon). Celesteela handles the Fairy issue, and Garchomp gets Poison Jab. Garchomp probably also deals with Gengar fairly well.

I'm going to post my questions again because it got blown over the last time:
  1. I'm struggling to build a team. Where should I go for some help? I'm not smart enough to write a whole RMT.
  2. What events can I go to in Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, or New Jersey?

1. I'm struggling to build a team. Where should I go for some help?
If you have part of a team but are having difficulty filling it out, you could ask in Team Building Help. You can check out the Complimentary Pairs or the Viable Pokemon threads for ideas to start with.

2. What events can I go to in Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, or New Jersey?
The official event finder is your friend. Sometimes events don't show up on there until a couple weeks before they happen, but if you check it every so often you should find plenty. Liberty Garden runs events in NY/NJ and always has their PCs announced well ahead of time. Most VA PCs are announced well in advance here.

PlatinumBlad3 said:
I'm going to post my questions again because it got blown over the last time:
I thought I answered that last night :/. Oh well, I guess people miss things (I'm no exception either).

I received a team from a friend to test on battlespot because I'm not far enough in-game to do anything myself. I have an Arcanine that's supposed to be running Firium Z but wasn't holding the Z Crystal when traded. Can Z Cyrstals be traded? Is it like key items? One crystal per type per game? I'm only done the first trial, do I need to get all the way to fire trial before I can properly play on battlespot? That seems like a hassle.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I received a team from a friend to test on battlespot because I'm not far enough in-game to do anything myself. I have an Arcanine that's supposed to be running Firium Z but wasn't holding the Z Crystal when traded. Can Z Cyrstals be traded? Is it like key items? One crystal per type per game? I'm only done the first trial, do I need to get all the way to fire trial before I can properly play on battlespot? That seems like a hassle.
They're a bit weird, yeah, and can't be traded.
You receive key items for each crystal, but then you can "use" the key item on a pokemon and it'll get a "copy" of it to hold. You can give as many pokemon as you want z-crystals to hold, so you won't ever lose them like you might do with mega stones.

The fire trial is the third trial in the game so it should be fairly easy to get to. But yes, getting some of the later crystals will require you to reach their point in the story, and there's no way to circumvent that.

Ok, so my question is this. What do you guys think of the team I am toying with for vgc? It is trick room slowking, storm drain gastrodon(sans earthpower), alola marowak, goofy seal(ummm... prierenna? The water starter), hariayma, and magnezone.

I'm looking to start really getting into comp pokemon. I'm going through the process of building a team. I looked at the complimentary pairs page and was wondering do people usually pick multiple pairs when building a team or just focus on one? I figured since you can take 6 pokemon but can only pick four it would benefit to bring multiple pairs to either counter your opponent or whatever.

What EV spread does Celesteela normally run? Specifically Relaxed nature HeavySlam/LeechSeed/Sub/Protect Celesteela that seems to be fairly standard as of right now.

Will there be a league on here? I can't used showdown right now, laptop took a crap.

I keep saying every year I want to get back into battling and VGC.

I had friends that we were going to make a Facebook league, but they have been dragging ass.

Will there be a league on here? I can't used showdown right now, laptop took a crap.

I had friends that we were going to make a Facebook league, but they have been dragging ass.
I wouldn't mind seeing weekly tournaments like there were for '15. Especially if they gave out UBs and Tapus, since I've been too lazy to reset for them but am gonna have to eventually.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

The game itself has a permanent VGC ladder to play with now, if it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)