Announcement VGC Winter League - Commencement

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hello everyone! I'm so excited to announce that due to the popularity of VGCPL, which was ran over the summer, we've decided to come back with another team tournament: Smogon VGC Winter League. We'll have 5 weeks of regular round robin play followed by a top 3 playoff, with the first seed from the round robin stage earning a direct bye to the finals. The hosts for this tournament will be Jashsmash and Giokio (with a little zeefable shadow hosting of course), huge thanks to them for taking the time to help put on this fun event.

Some important general rules:
  1. Managers are allowed one (1) Assistant Manager.
  2. Managers and Assistant Managers may self-purchase prior to auction for 15,000 credits each.
  3. There will be six (6) starters and three (3) substitutes: the minimum number of players on a team is nine (9). The maximum amount of players on a team is 14.
  4. There will be no midseason.
  5. There will be a severe penalty for any team that picks up a known alt of a banned player, or any player masquerading as another person. It is important to establish that both parties will be penalized immediately and appropriately if they are found doing so.
Format List:
  1. :zacian-crowned: VGC 2021 Series 11 :calyrex-shadow:
  2. :zacian-crowned: VGC 2021 Series 11 :calyrex-shadow:
  3. :landorus: VGC 2021 Series 10 :rillaboom:
  4. :urshifu-gmax: VGC 2021 Series 9 :urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax:
  5. :incineroar: VGC 17 / 18 / 19 Ultra Rotation :tapu koko:
  6. :salamence-mega: VGC 14 / 15 / 16 Rotation :kangaskhan-mega:
On Rotation:
The rotating formats will be played in chronological order, such that VGC 14/17 are played on Weeks 1 & 4, VGC 15/18 are played on Weeks 2 & 5, and VGC 16/19 are played on Week 3. For playoffs, the higher seed will have their choice of format in their preferred generation, where the lower seed can take their pick of format in the remaining generation. For example, if Team A is seed 1 playing seed 2 Team B in finals, Team A can select any format from gen 6 or 7. If they choose VGC 18, then Team B can have their choice of VGC 14, 15, or 16.

Auction:
The general auction format and rules will be similar any other auction draft. All teams will have a bank of 100,000 credits. The starting price at auction for all players is 3,000 credits. Additionally, managers may buy themselves prior to the auction for 15,000 credits, and may also purchase an assistant manager for an additional 15,000 credits.

Trades:
Trades will only be allowed before the draft concludes in VGC Winter League.

Tournament Scoring and Seeding:
The tournament will have six teams playing each other in pools to determine seeding. The top three seeds will advance to playoffs. Each week teams will either earn 5, 2, or 0 points based on a win, tie, or loss respectively. Battle difference will be cumulated for the purposes of tiebreaking seed placement when points are equal. If a tie occurs in seeding, or in semifinals or finals, the winning team will be decided by a tiebreaker.

Additional Notes:

A replay / log / VOD / YouTube video must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default avenue for all metagames unless both parties agree to play on cartridge. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must be able to provide one of the above to validate your match. All matches are best of three with team lock on.

With all the paperwork out of the way, let's bring on the madness once more!

Last edited:

Namuko Pro

THE Mr. 34.5k
Hello! We're excited to be managing the Santalune Swarm for the Winter League!

Our number one goal for the team is not just to create a team filled with good Pokemon players, but also to foster an environment where everyone gets along and feels comfortable sharing team ideas and otherwise contributing. To that end, we plan on drafting players who we know will be helpful contributors for the team regardless of whether they're in the lineup or not.

If you're interested in trying out, please feel free to fill out our
interest form. Even if you don't want to try out, if you're particularly interested in joining the Swarm you can only fill out the required sections and ignore the tryout portions of the form! We don't plan on holding open tryouts, but instead will reach out individually to some people who are interested to discuss setting up an open teamsheet bo3 or two, where we'll be able to discuss plays afterwards and learn more about your thought process.

Last edited:

yuki

Huh? Me? Not this time...
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey everyone! Proud to be managing the Mistralton Aerial Aces in the Winter League this year!

We already have a discord setup which can be found here: https://discord.gg/rdvk4ExjPp

All details are available for tryouts, just give me a ping and I'll happily give you the role. Also feel free to jump in to just have a chat, everyone is more than welcome.

Reactions: pix
161 Sem Título_20211114125855(1)-1.png

We have a logo!
I'm just plugging it here as well, but if any team needs a logo, I'm more then happy to help, for free! :)

Hey everyone! Greetings from Apron and yours truly.

We are extremely excited to be given the opportunity to be able to manage for the Smogon VGC Winter League this year! We are looking to have a blast within the League while remaining extremely competitive, so we are planning to draft people who are going to help us foster that environment!

On that end, we have an interest form here, please fill it up to let us know that you are interested!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfbgtXYIeWmp1xtkAoaHH_ubipXrgqrDhSIyO-e5qEMlDrwvg/viewform

On that end, Apron and I are also planning to host tryouts for our team, so stay tuned as we set that up!

Hey everyone! Greetings from raisedintyo and yours truly.

We are extremely excited to be given the opportunity to be able to manage for the Smogon VGC Winter League this year! We are looking to have a blast within the League while remaining extremely competitive, so we are planning to draft people who are going to help us foster that environment!

On that end, we have an interest form here, please fill it up to let us know that you are interested!

The logo for the White Forest Weaviles is official! Thanks to Tkpt for the awesome Weavile art :bloblul:, it was only thanks to that that the logo could come to a fruition!

Hey all Helios and I will be hosting a tryout tour for the SmogonVGC Winter League. Our goal is to scout out potential talents for our draft pool and potentially get them on our team. The tryout tour will be 2PM UTC Friday and in the s11 format, the winner will get a guaranteed nomination!

Join our discord and the battlefy to participate in the tour.

https://discord.gg/UnTy5N7ztP

https://battlefy.com/more-vgc-tours...6198fdf11f3c384221805cf0/info?infoTab=details
I’m interested in tryouts and such, and did the interest form but do realize most American players can’t make this. For many of us, we are not even home that day due to Thanksgiving, so I’m just making sure that that’s not the only evaluation method xD. It’s completely your call how to handle things but I did need to mention that, as I know most countries don’t have holiday this week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)