Monotype Vibranium Terrors - Steel

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Remove background (1).png

:ss/Heatran::ss/Aegislash::ss/Celesteela::ss/Ferrothorn: :ss/Excadrill: :ss/Jirachi:

Email Header 600x200 px.png

Hey guys, I'm Giyu with my first RMT. I've been meaning to make a Generation 8 Monotype team for a while now so here it is, Vibranium Terrors.

Email Header 600x200 px (1).png

:Heatran:
Heatran is a basic need for Steel-Type teams, providing immunity to Fire-Type attacks with the ability Flash Fire and having astounding base stats for both defensive and offensive play.

:Aegislash:
Aegislash is a great defensive Pokémon with a base of 140 in both special defense and physical defense which make up for it's base 60 HP. Aegislash also provides immunity to Fighting-Types excluding Pokémon with the ability Scrappy.

:Celesteela:
Celesteela's team slot could be easily replaced by Corviknight or Skarmory but I chose Celesteela for it's access to the move Leech Seed, this gives it recovery while also doing tick damage to the opponent. Being a Flying-Type it also gives the team a Ground-Type immunity.

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn is an exceptional defensive wall, with access to the ability Iron Barbs it's able to do considerable damage to opponents with multi-hitting moves. Ferrothorn's neutrality to Ground-Types helps Steel-Type monotypes pivot around without having to worry about Earthquake spamming.

:Excadrill:
Excadrill provides an immunity to Electric-Types making it synergize with the aforementioned Celesteela. Being a Ground-Type allows Excadrill to take out Fire-Type Pokémon that threaten the team.

:Jirachi:
Jirachi is primarily on this team as a special attacker, it's ability Serene Grace is extremely helpful due to a move's secondary effect getting a higher chance of happening if it isn't guaranteed already.

Email Header 600x200 px (2).png

:ss/Heatran:
(Crockpot) Heatran @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
1643323230194.png

- Earth Power
1643323220596.png

- Toxic
1643323209293.png

- Stealth Rock
1643323192069.png

Heatran is one of the triple immunity core members so it is a needed Pokemon for Steel-Type teams. Flash Fire eats up all Fire-Type attacks and Heatran's stats are good enough to contribute to the specially defense bulk of this set so it doesn't die so easily. Leftovers is the chosen item due to Heatran lacking recovery moves. Toxic allows Heatran to cripple bulky Pokemon such as Rotom-Wash and Corsola-Galar, Stealth Rock lets Ferrothorn use Spikes to further stack up entry hazards for your opponent, Lava Plume effectively fishes for burns on physical attacking Pokémon switching in on Heatran, and Earth Power saves Heatran from being completely walled by opposing Heatran's. The EVs chosen with calm nature are to maximize Heatran's defensive potential and be an even more potent special wall.

:ss/Aegislash:
(Excaliber) Aegislash @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Stance Change
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
1643330831022.png

- Toxic
1643323209293.png

- King's Shield
1643330810056.png

- Substitute
1643330819800.png

Aegislash another part of the triple immunity core, is very bulky. Being a Ghost-Type, Fighting-Type attacks are a little less threatening against the team unless of course the Pokémon has Scrappy as it's ability. I chose Leftovers for recovery because Aegislash lacks any moves that regain it's health. Shadow Ball is just a nice damaging STAB move that does pretty consistent damage, King's Shield is essentially Protect but it lowers the foe's attack stat if Aegislash is hit by a physical move, this pretty much raises Aegislash's physically defensive capabilities while being made a special wall, Toxic is pretty commonly used on SubShield Aegislash sets so I decided to use it since outstalling Pokémon is this set's priority, and Substitute allows Aegislash to have more than one way of taking an attack and also helping Toxic do it's thing. This EV spread with calm nature allows Aegislash to take super-effective special moves easily.

:ss/Celesteela:
(Kaguya) Celesteela @ Rocky Helmet :Rocky Helmet:
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
1643330810056.png

- Leech Seed
1643331708887.png

- Protect
1643331811334.png

-
Toxic
1643331828449.png

Celesteela is an excellent addition to Steel-Type monotype teams, especially because of it's bulk and immunity to Ground-Type attacks except Thousand Arrows. Rocky Helmet provides excellent recoil damage to physically attacking foes which pares well with both Leech Seed and Toxic. Heavy Slam provides some big rolls from STAB and just being a powerful move in general, Leech Seed provides slight recovery every turn and it has great tick damage to help Toxic wear down opponents, and Protect simply allows more Leech Seed recovery and forces foes to take more turns under Toxic. This EV spread with impish nature makes Celesteela a physically defensive tank and walls majority of physical attackers in the metagame.

:ss/Ferrothorn:
(Barbara) Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet :Rocky Helmet:
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
-
Power Whip
1643332448051.png

- Thunder Wave
1643332501948.png

- Spikes
1643332569257.png

- Leech Seed
1643332807836.png

Ferrothorn having a Ground-Type neutrality is huge for Steel-Type teams, it's an exceptional physical wall because of it's defense stats but also it's wicked good ability Iron Barbs which gives tick damage to foes using contact moves. I'm using Rocky Helmet again due to it adding on to the contact damage of Iron Barbs making usage of contact moves risky. Leech Seed is to provide recovery over turns and deal tick damage at the same time, Thunder Wave can cripple a lot of sweepers and wallbreakers by halving their speed and potentially para-flinching them, Spikes are to add on to that on switch-in hazard damage with Stealth Rock from Heatran, and Power Whip which is a powerful move with STAB can make Ferrothorn a menace against some tanks, esspecially Tapu Fini which disables Thunder Wave with Misty Surge. The chosen EV spread with impish nature makes Ferrothorn extremely hard to break with physical moves.

:ss/Excadrill:
(Wolverine) Excadrill @ Choice Scarf :Choice Scarf:
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
1643330810056.png

- Earthquake
1643323220596.png

- Rapid Spin
1643330819800.png

-
Rock Slide
1643323192069.png

Excadrill as an excellent counter against opposing Fire-Types and Steel-Types that otherwise wall the other team members. Being a Ground-Type it's also immune to electric making Celesteela usage a lot easier, Excadrill also acts as an effective revenge killer with it's two STAB moves and one coverage. Excadrill is a decent hazard controller with the move Rapid Spin. The reason I chose Choice Scarf over the common Choice Band is because this team suffers to Choice Scarf Heatran which Excadrill doesn't outspeed without it's own Choice Scarf. Iron Head is a really nice STAB move and has a chance of flinching the opponent, Rock Slide does lots of damage against Fire-Type and Flying-Type monotype teams, Rapid Spin like mentioned earlier is for entry hazard control, and Earthquake a Ground-Type move with base power of 100 can do considerable amounts of damage especially because of the STAB boost. Excadrill has full speed and attack with jolly nature to maximize its potential as a revenge killer and for late game clean-up.

:ss/Jirachi:
(Orion) Jirachi @ Choice Specs :Choice Specs:
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
1643334129054.png

- Thunderbolt
1643332501948.png

- Energy Ball
1643331708887.png

- Moonblast
1643334249656.png

Jirachi gives this team a Fighting-Type neutrality which making fighing them a lot easier, Serene Grace makes this Pokémon extremely good because it boosts the chance of lowering the special defense of foes with Psychic, paralyizng them with Thunderbolt, and lowering their special attack with both Energy Ball and Moonblast. Choice Specs were chosen to maximize damage output with Jirachi. Energy Ball gives Jirachi coverage against Ground-Types which threaten Steel-Type teams, Moonblast is super-effective against Dark-Types which Jirachi is weak too, Psychic is a strong STAB move which makes Jirachi hit extremely hard with Choice Specs, and Thunderbolt allows Jirachi to 2HKO Mantine which can cause problems for Steel-Type monotype teams. I gave Jirachi full speed and special attack with timid nature to make it's attacks hit as hard as possible and to outspeed Kyurem, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, and Hydreigon.

Email Header 600x200 px (3).png

I think this team has great potential and has had very good progress in ladder so far. Using the triple immunity core, this Steel-Type team can pivot around and help Excadrill's and Jirachi's sheer offensive presence get you the win. Let me know what you think of the team in your replies please and thank you!

Email Header 600x200 px (4).png

:Volcarona: :Nidoking: :Zeraora: :Heatran:

If Heatran's dead, Volcarona breezes past this team with ease by spamming it's Fire-Type moves, Nidoking has access to both Earth Power and Flamethrower meaning that it's capable of beating Heatran and Celesteela in two buttons. Excadrill and Jirachi take care of it effectively though, Zeraora's versatility and speed creates a lot of trouble, Zeraora has access to Close Combat, Knock Off, and Blaze Kick/Fire Punch so Aegislash and Ferrothorn can't come in safely. It's Electric-Type attacks make Celesteela unusable unfortunately and if it kills Excadrill the team pretty much loses. Choice Scarf Heatran poses a very big threat, if it's swapped in onto a choice locked Excadrill your only other option would be switching into Heatran but it takes a lot of damage from Earth Power

Email Header 600x200 px (6).png

252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 144-170 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Zeraora Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 226-266 (58.5 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celesteela: 228-270 (57.2 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 192-226 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 567-671 (146.8 - 173.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 270-320 (67.8 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 642-756 (177.8 - 209.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 450-530 (113 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 452-534 (132.5 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 796-940 (226.1 - 267%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 272-324 (70.4 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 692-816 (191.6 - 226%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 864-1020 (245.4 - 289.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Celesteela: 444-524 (111.5 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 278-330 (85.8 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 488-576 (143.1 - 168.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

awdawdawdawdawd.png

Celesteela @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball

Last edited:
Hello again! The team is looking super solid; I actually have a team that is very similar though I’d make a couple of changes here that might optimize our results across the board.

Heatran is Steels only “check” to Hydreigon which if left alone can destroy an entire Steel team. Because Hydreigon commonly runs Substitute, I’d suggest dropping Toxic for Roar which lets you phase out Hydreigon or anything else that tries to set up on you. This also works well with your hazard stacking.

This one is kind of a personal preference so I’ll let you decide. I like to make my defensive Aegislash with a negative speed nature and 0 IVs in speed. What this means is you should attack last more frequently and remain in Shield for more often to tank damage. It’s also especially helpful in the Aegislash mirror.

You should almost always run Leftovers on a defensive Celesteela since Leech Seed is by no means reliable recovery. The last move slot is ok as Toxic but you can also consider Flamethower (change nature to -Spe) to help more in Steel mirrors, specifically with opposing Ferrothorn and against Amoonguss. The other option would be to use Air Slash as your single attack which covers a lot of things that can threaten Steel like Urshifu.

For almost exactly the same reasons as above, you should use Leftovers instead of Rocky Helmet. The added benefit here is that Ferrothorn has Iron Barbs to do that chip damage anyway. Along with that I would replace Thunder Wave for Protect. Steel teams with such a strong immunity core can benefit so much from the scouting you get from Protect to know what you should switch to. It also allows you to get more recovery from Leftovers and Leech Seed. As for the 4 extra EVs, I always put them in Spe because that makes Ferrothorn faster than an opposing Torkoal by 1 point allowing you to get some Spikes up for your hardest match up.

With those minor changes I think you can improve the great team you already have. The new team post is below and I wish you good luck!
:Heatran::Aegislash::Celesteela::Ferrothorn::Excadrill::Jirachi:

Giyu

Tomioka
Hello again! The team is looking super solid; I actually have a team that is very similar though I’d make a couple of changes here that might optimize our results across the board.

Heatran is Steels only “check” to Hydreigon which if left alone can destroy an entire Steel team. Because Hydreigon commonly runs Substitute, I’d suggest dropping Toxic for Roar which lets you phase out Hydreigon or anything else that tries to set up on you. This also works well with your hazard stacking.

This one is kind of a personal preference so I’ll let you decide. I like to make my defensive Aegislash with a negative speed nature and 0 IVs in speed. What this means is you should attack last more frequently and remain in Shield for more often to tank damage. It’s also especially helpful in the Aegislash mirror.

You should almost always run Leftovers on a defensive Celesteela since Leech Seed is by no means reliable recovery. The last move slot is ok as Toxic but you can also consider Flamethower (change nature to -Spe) to help more in Steel mirrors, specifically with opposing Ferrothorn and against Amoonguss. The other option would be to use Air Slash as your single attack which covers a lot of things that can threaten Steel like Urshifu.

For almost exactly the same reasons as above, you should use Leftovers instead of Rocky Helmet. The added benefit here is that Ferrothorn has Iron Barbs to do that chip damage anyway. Along with that I would replace Thunder Wave for Protect. Steel teams with such a strong immunity core can benefit so much from the scouting you get from Protect to know what you should switch to. It also allows you to get more recovery from Leftovers and Leech Seed. As for the 4 extra EVs, I always put them in Spe because that makes Ferrothorn faster than an opposing Torkoal by 1 point allowing you to get some Spikes up for your hardest match up.

With those minor changes I think you can improve the great team you already have. The new team post is below and I wish you good luck!
:Heatran::Aegislash::Celesteela::Ferrothorn::Excadrill::Jirachi:
Thank you for the advice! Although I have a question, is it really viable to have 4 Pokémon with leftovers?

Giyu

Tomioka
On Steel it’s very common. It’s just the best way for a team so focused on its defensive core to maintain HP, especially when none have reliable self recovery.
That makes sense, the lack of recovery moves some times upsets me but Protect + Leech Seed does pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)