• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victim of the Week!

Generation VI Edition
Approved by OU Mods~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every generation is different and the metagame is constantly changing. However there's always been and always will be one constant : Threats.
Whether it be a defensive threat or an offensive threats, any competent competitive Pokémon player should have some knowledge on how to handle common, top-tier threats.
That's where you guys as a community come in. This project aims to gather some of the common top-tier threats in the current metagame and find Pokémon that can either check or counter the respective 'mon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Rules
  • Every round, I will nominate a Pokémon for discussion. Within one week's time, you guys will have the ability to discuss and nominate various Pokémon that you think can either check or counter the victim of the week.
  • After the deadline, I will choose the top three checks and the top three counters. Should there be a lot of nominations, I will discuss my choices with other skilled players to ensure the selections are not biased and that all nominations have been considered thoroughly.
  • The results will be archived and the process will continue.
  • When nominating your check/counter please follow the provided format :
    - Name of the Pokémon
    - Check or Counter
    - Short Description as to why you chose this particular Pokémon
    - Set(s) that work well against the victim of the week
  • Minimum of 3 sentences for each set​
  • -To be considered a counter, a Pokemon must be able to switch into any of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the counter is KOed itself.
    -To be considered a check, a Pokemon must be able to switch into at least one but not all of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the counter is KOed itself
  • I like to believe we're all decently mature ツ
    That being said, just exercise some common courtesy please.​
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Archive
Dragon Dance Tyranitar

Checks : Diggersby (WreckDra) | Breloom (farmer Potato) | Terrakion (assurance)
Counters : Keldeo (Mowtom) | Hippowdon (KlynPar) | Chestnaught (Zebstrika)
Tank Aegislash

Checks : Hydreigon (assurance ) | --- | ---
Counters : Bisharp (Yayz) | Mandibuzz (AM145) | Hippowdon (WreckDra)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROUND 3

name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Extrasensory
move 4: Dark Pulse
ability: Protean
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Generation VI has finally brought an OU viable starter, since the DPPt era. Greninja packs speed and offensive power which seems great and all, but the real icing on the cake has to be its ability "Protean". Being able to provide STAB to every move in its arsenal is crazy. Not only does it strike harder but it provides Greninja with many resistances and immunities. However, its frail stats are a bit of a let down so one must be careful to use Greninja conservatively.

What checks Greninja? What counters Greninja?
GO!

Last edited:
Pokemon: Hippowdon

Check or Counter?: Check

Reasoning: Tyranitar has a few main sets. IMO the most threatening is DDMega TTar, just because of its extreme bulk and high attack. Its other sets are AV Specially Defensive, Mixed Offense SR Lead, Choice Band, etc. (it's really versatile). Hippowdon can handle these threats nicely. It takes hits very well when fully invested, and can Toxic back, deal SE damage with Earthquake (which benefits from Sand Force), or Slack Off stall its attacks out. All it really fears is the rare Toxic or Ice Beam from TTar. Thankfully, only ~10% of TTar run Ice Beam and only ~8% run Ice Punch. Calcs:

+1 252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 165-195 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Sand Force Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Set:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge

(as an aside, i'm glad we're doing shit like aegislash or bisharp next bc ttar, while a threat, isn't a huge issue atm :))

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I nominate AV Conkeldurr for either a check or a counter, it can take any attack Tyranitar can throw at it and easily OHKO Tyranitar. Drain Punch heals any damage Conkeldurr has taken from sandstorm or Tyranitar's attacks.

EDIT: Wait nvm I need to do this in the proper format.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Pokemon:
Keldeo

Check or Counter:
Counter

Reasoning:
For a Pokemon to counter another, two things must be taken into consideration. It must be able to safely switch in, and it must be able to consistently defeat the Pokemon it is countering. Keldeo fits both of those. To start with, it outspeeds any Tyranitar that doesn't have a Choice Scarf or Dragon Dance. Even under the worst case scenario (Keldeo switches in to Mega Tyranitar after it Dragon Dances), Tyranitar is OHKO'd and can't OHKO first.
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 212-250 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
That is the most that Tyranitar can possibly do to Keldeo. Almost every variant is always OKHO'd by Secret Sword. The only common variant that isn't is a 248/252+ physically defensive spread, and even then:
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 372-444 (92.3 - 110.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Any form of prior damage will guarantee the OHKO, as will any sort of damage boosting item on Keldeo.

Sets:
There are two sets that I like to use on Keldeo. They both counter Tyranitar equally well, and belong on entirely different teams.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Flying
The first one is a Choice Specs set. This Keldeo works best as a wallbreaker on offensively oriented teams. The IVs listed are unfortunatly the only way to get Hidden Power Flying while keeping max speed, but if you use Icy Wind, ignore them.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Calm Mind
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Flying
The second one is a Calm Mind set. This one is best as a win condition for balanced teams. I prefer Scald over Hydro Pump as you should have multiple Calm Minds up before you attack, but Hydro Pump can work, too.

Chesnaught
(Counter)

Chesnaught is a good physical wall whose type just beats every strong attack Tyranitar can throw at it, as well as having 4x effective STAB on Tyranitar's weaker defense stat.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish nature
- Hammer Arm
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Filler (Earthquake, Synthesis, Seed Bomb, etc)

Tyranitar's only chance of breaking through Chesnaught is through Ice or Fire coverage, considering Chesnaught has great physical defense as well as resistance to Rock, Dark and Ground. Choiced Tyranitar rarely run this coverage, and when they do, they have to have the balls to predict the Chesnaught switch.

Mega Tyranitar can't 2HKO with Ice or Fire Punch.

252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 124-146 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Given that it's a lot more likely to Dragon Dance on the switch than Ice Punch, which does less damage over two turns, Chesnaught can easily come in a lot of times and counter mega tyranitar.

The only way for a Tyranitar to 2HKO Chesnaught is using Fire Blast:
0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 192-226 (50.5 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Which is a shame, but this is actually most commonly run on defensive/support sets, or, in other words, sets with no speed EVs so Chesnaught will outspeed and still counter them.

Chesnaught has no problem dishing back the pain:
0 Atk Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 420-496 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Chesnaught Hammer Arm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 324-384 (94.7 - 112.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
(it takes 72 Atk EVs to guarantee the OHKO on 4/0 mega)

Tyranitar often runs at the sight of this, giving Chesnaught the opportunity to spam Leech Seed so it doesn't get too worn down switching into Tyranitar.

- Name of the Pokémon: Mega Absol
- Check or Counter: Check, it can't switch in because of how frail it is.
This isn't a check. DDMega Tar (most common ttar set) destroys Mega Absol. I'm not sure where you're getting that Mega absol outspeeds. After a DD on the switch, Tar outspeeds and OHKOs with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Plus, Superpower is on many other mons (landorus(-t), azumarill, chesnaught, scizor, etc.) that handle Tar much better.

This isn't a check. DDMega Tar (most common ttar set) destroys Mega Absol. I'm not sure where you're getting that Mega absol outspeeds. After a DD on the switch, Tar outspeeds and OHKOs with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Plus, Superpower is on many other mons (landorus(-t), azumarill, chesnaught, scizor, etc.) that handle Tar much better.
Thanks for the info, I got wrong information from Google about how Speed boosts work. I'll delete the post.

The OP is a bit vague, but I'm guessing it means non mega ttar.
Seeing that you often have to assume Tyranitar could be Mega and could DD before switching in, I'm pretty sure we're looking for counters for both Tyranitar and Mega-Tyranitar, as they really are the same pokemon.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh... wats up doc?

Pokemon: Diggersby

Check vs Counter

This is a relatively neglected physical wall breaker / cleaner and I assume it is because of competition with offensive Landorus-T. It finds it hard to switch into an offensive Tyranitar (Ice Punch / Beam murders it), but it is able to outspeed an unboosted Tyranitar and even the Mega has trouble living a Life Orb Earthquake from it. In fact, every Tyranitar besides Mega T-Tar is OHKOed even without a boosting item or a boost in general. It gets 2 great boosting moves in Agility and Swords Dance so it can do a lot more than just check Tyranitar in this current meta and it also forms neat offensive cores with several special attackers (Keldeo included). Its not an unviable check at all especially when +2 Life Orb Return 2HKOes fully Defensive Skarmory.

Wrong turn at Albuquerque (Choice Scarf)
Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Return
- Wild Charge

Outspeeds and OHKOes any normal Tyranitar but needs prior damage and to be near full health to take on a +1 Mega. It loses if the boosted Mega has Ice Punch, however.

HASSAN CHOP! (Swords Dance)
Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack

It can set up on normal Tyranitar (without the random Ice Beam) and KO it and its ancestors with Earthquake while still having ~90% chance to KO the Mega without the Swords Dance boost. Once again, a +1 Mega Tar with Ice Punch will ruin this bunny's hopes and dreams.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
-Ice Punch

Not much stands in the way of this particular Tyranitar's combination of power, speed, bulk, and coverage after a Dragon Dance which makes one of the most reliable late game cleaners in OU right now.

Tyranitar is a very versatile pokemon and can get around a good number of pokemon that would check / counter it very well with the correct coverage move. I personally think most of the best counters to ever set have been mentioned with the exception of a certain possessed washing machine. With there only being four viable checks / counters to every set this thing can run, this Victim of the Week will be short lived I think. We in the Ubers room have been mentioning specific sets in order to fuel more conversation and more postings of pokes that outright counter the victim but this is up to you if you want to implement this or not. Tyranitar is one of the most unpredictable pokemon out there with a curtain of predictability to cover its tracks. This pokemon will punish you greatly if it hasn't been scouted properly.

Last edited:
I guess so. If only they were the same pokemon on the viability list. Oh well.
When finding a check or counter to a certain Pokemon, you have to take into consideration all of the viable and possible sets for the Pokemon. For example, you can't claim that Rotom Wash is a counter to Gyrados because Gyrados has access to Mold Breaker and Earthquake in its Mega Form.
On the other hand, when discussing viability the Pokemon must be analyzed separately from its Mega Form. For example, Pinsir is not OU material and should not be ranked similarly to its Mega Forme because without the Mega Stone, Pinsir is dead weight in the OU metagame.

Edit : There are three days before Round 1 finishes. If you have any nominations please post! Also don't forget to vote in the poll for the next victim! And of course, a special thanks to everyone who has partcipated and made quality posts~

I nominate for a check: Breloom

With a Mach Punch off of Breloom w/Technician, it has a guaranteed OHKO on a non-Mega TTar, and a solid 2HKO on Mega TTar.
It only fears the ice and fire coverage that DD TTar may have.

Forgot a set sorry.

Breloom@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature

4HP/252Attack/252Speed

Bullet Seed
Mach Punch
Spore
Substitute/IDK

Last edited:
it's my first post in this forum, i hope i'm doing everything correctly :$

Pokémon: Terrakion

Reasoning: It's not difficult to find good reasons, why Terrakion is a great option to check Tyranitar - it's strong Fight-STAB Close Combat easily OHKOs Tyranitar. But that's not all: Switched in correctly it gains an Atk-Boost thanks to its ability Justified. Its high speed-base allows Terrakion to outspeed Scarf- or a boosted Tyranitar (if its adamant even on +2) if wearing a Choice Scarf. Tyrantiar is also OHKOd by Close Combat if played with an 252/0 EV-Split in the Mega-Form, so it easily hits every offensive variant. But not enough, Terrakion is just hit effectifly by Earthquake or Superpower, so especially CB oder Scarf Ttar can be used for an SD-, Rock Polish-, Sub- or even SR-Setup.

Sets:

Terrakion @ Salac Berry / Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance / Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute / Earthquake
>> In Crunch oder Pursuit trapped Tyranitar easily will be used for Substitute or a directly boost. But you have to switch carefully, because a CB-Stone Edge may 2HKO Terrakion.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
>> Terrakion is a strong revenger in the actual OU-Metagame, because of its 108 Speedbase, which makes him able to outspeed boostet Pokémon like +1 Mega-Charizard-X or +1 Dragonite. This Set also outspeed +2 adamant Mega-Tyranitar and certainly OHKOs it with Close Combat. The good Coverage does a perfect job for revenging many Pokémon.

As i already said Terrakion can also setup Stealth Rock. The moveset isn't so usefull, so I will not discribe it, because it should be obvious, how to play it.

Last edited:
it's my first post in this forum, i hope i'm doing everything correctly :$

Pokémon: Terrakion

Reasoning: It's not difficult to find good reasons, why Terrakion is a great option to check Tyrantiar - it's strong Fight-STAB Close Combat easily OHKOs Tyrantiar. But that's not all: Switched in correctly it gains an Atk-Boost thanks to its ability Justified. Its high speed-base allows Terrakion to outspeed Scarf- or a boosted Tyrantiar (if its adamant even on +2) if wearing a Choice Scarf. Tyrantiar is also OHKOd by Close Combat if played with an 252/0 EV-Split in the Mega-Form, so it easily hits every offensive variant. But not enough, Terrakion is just hit effectifly by Earthquake or Superpower, so especially CB oder Scarf Ttar can be used for an SD-, Rock Polish-, Sub- or even SR-Setup.

Sets:

Terrakion @ Salac Berry / Life Orb
- Swords Dance / Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute / Earthquake
>> In Crunch oder Pursuit trapped Tyrantiar easily will be used for Substitute or a directly boost. But you have to switch carefully, because a CB-Stone Edge may 2HKO Terrakion.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
>> Terrakion is a strong revenger in the actual OU-Metagame, because of its 108 Speedbase, which makes him able to outspeed boostet Pokémon like +1 Mega-Charizard-X or +1 Dragonite. This Set also outspeed +2 adamant Mega-Tyrantiar and certainly OHKOs it with Close Combat. The good Coverage does a perfect job for revenging many Pokémon.

As i already said Terrakion can also setup Stealth Rock. The moveset isn't so usefull, so I will not discribe it, because it should be obvious, how to play it.
Solid quality. I approve. Just make sure you spell Tyranitar correctly lol

What T-tar are we are countering? Shouldn't this be more specific regarding a certain set rather than a Pokemon in general?

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

Waterfall is 2hko on both forms. At +1 its a 1hko for Mega Gyarados
Jolly and 252 in Speed to oustpeed max speed Jolly Mega T-tar.
Taunt to prevent T-tar from setting up.

Gyarados is better used smartly., it really doesn't want to get hit by Stone Edge if its not in Mega form. Regular Gyarados shouldn't switch into a Stone Edge, so its better to lure a Crunch or an Earthquake before switching in. Given that opportunity, Gyarados can set up and Mega Evolve and proceed to 1hko T-tar and potentially sweep some more. If Gyarados was already evolved, it can switch it more safely into a Stone Edge but it can't take out T-tar if it was at full health without setting up.

The goal of this entire project is to find general checks and counters to the Victim of the Week.
The project would get too hectic if we were to introduce variants for each Pokémon and new competitive battlers may find it difficult to keep up.
That being said, I understand what you mean. For example Chestnaught is a straight-up counter as long as its not some Specially Oriented LO Tyranitar with Ice Beam. We assume the most common variants for the Victim (i.e Scarf Ttar and Mega DD Ttar) and try to find checks and counters from that point on.

The goal of this entire project is to find general checks and counters to the Victim of the Week.
The project would get too hectic if we were to introduce variants for each Pokémon and new competitive battlers may find it difficult to keep up.
That being said, I understand what you mean. For example Chestnaught is a straight-up counter as long as its not some Specially Oriented LO Tyranitar with Ice Beam. We assume the most common variants for the Victim (i.e Scarf Ttar and Mega DD Ttar) and try to find checks and counters from that point on.
But some Pokemons totally play differently in different sets (Like Aegislash) and some Pokemon have different uses and checks and counters when they Mega Evolve (Gyarados)

T-tar is any easier one, as most sets have similar checks and counters. But I think its better (and more fun) if we have a specific set to counter. I believe the old thread had specific sets instead of Pokemons.

Reactions: AM
But some Pokemons totally play differently in different sets (Like Aegislash) and some Pokemon have different uses and checks and counters when they Mega Evolve (Gyarados)

T-tar is any easier one, as most sets have similar checks and counters. But I think its better (and more fun) if we have a specific set to counter. I believe the old thread had specific sets instead of Pokemons.
I'll ask the mods about that. Good point though

Great job guys on Round 1! The winning nominations have been placed in the archives with the username linked next to them. Round 2 has begun with Tank Aegislash as the next victim. The rules have been updated so check them out quickly~

Also since the poll won't close for a while (silly me), I ask that you post your vote inside your post for now and when the poll goes up later, to vote accordingly. Thanks ツ

POLL : Who do you want for Round 3?
- Greninja
- Deoxys Speed
- Dragonite

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Pokémon: Bisharp

Check or Counter?: Counter

Aegislash is quite easily destroyed by standard Bisharp. Bisharp can abuse Aegislash's reliance on King's Shield by Swords Dancing, or hit the weaker Blade Form with Pursuit:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 632-743 (195 - 229.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
After a Swords Dance, everything is an easy KO against Aegislash.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 510-603 (157.4 - 186.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Aegislash can't do much back:
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 107-126 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
However, Bisharp needs to watch out for the odd Sacred Sword, because you don't need a calc to tell you that 4x damage off of base 150 attack is a OHKO.

(Note: I may have messed up on Pursuit, but I changed it to 80 BP to simulate a switch. The logic still stands, however)
Thoughts?

Poll response: Deoxys-S

Reactions: AM
Great job guys on Round 1! The winning nominations have been placed in the archives with the username linked next to them. Round 2 has begun with Tank Aegislash as the next victim. The rules have been updated so check them out quickly~

Also since the poll won't close for a while (silly me), I ask that you post your vote inside your post for now and when the poll goes up later, to vote accordingly. Thanks ツ

POLL : Who do you want for Round 3?
- Greninja
- Deoxys Speed
- Dragonite
Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by tank Aegislash? I know this rules out the 252 Atk/ 252 SpA spread, but are you referring to 252 HP/ 252 Atk swords dance set, or the stall set with toxic?

Edit: Oops, I just scrolled down to the end of round 1 post.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Name of the Pokémon: Escavalier

- Check or Counter: Counter

- Short Description as to why you chose this particular Pokémon: Escavalier is an excellent check to Aegislash, as it resists it's Steel STAB & with its high Special Defense, can take his Ghost type STABS easily, while dealing solid damage with Knock Off or Drill Run.

- Set(s) that work well against the victim of the week:

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Iron Head

Calcs:
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 102-121 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 18.4% chance to 3HKO

Tanks Aegislash's main STAB move, while Escavalier deals heavy damage back to it

252+ Atk Escavalier Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Aegislash-Shield: 168-198 (52.1 - 61.4%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Escavalier Drill Run vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Aegislash-Shield: 138-164 (42.8 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by tank Aegislash? I know this rules out the 252 Atk/ 242 SpA spread, but are you referring to 252 HP/ 252 Atk swords dance set, or the stall set with toxic?
I'm pretty sure if you read the OP, you can find the exact set for this week's Victim

EDIT: By the way, the poll is a little wacky right now so continue to post your vote until I say otherwise

Last edited:
Pokemon: Mega-Gyarados
Check or Counter?: Counter (to this specific set), solid check for Aegislash in general.

Reasoning: Mega Gyarados can switch into any move (takes at most 57% damage from shadow ball if not mega evolved, and takes a max of 22.5% from shadow ball if it is.) Once in, it can either set up a sub that Aegislash can't break with any of its moves, or just set up with Dragon Dance. However, this Gyarados would only really be able to safe to set up on this specific Aegislash, as it would still have trouble with the 252 Atk/252 SpA Aegislash with both shadow ball and sacred sword.

Set:
Gyarados @ Gyradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Waterfall
-Earthquake

Poll Choice: Dragonite

Last edited:
Reactions: Air

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
First time as well posting on this particular thread so any critique would be appreciated.

Pokemon:
Mandibuzz

Check or Counter?: Counter

Reasoning: With the particular set mentioned on Aegislash including variants running Sacred Sword, Aegislash has an extremely difficult time handling Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz resists two of it's primary attacks Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak with ease, while Iron Head fails to cut through due to Mandibuzz's Defense stat. Mandibuzz has the capabilities of switching into Stealth Rock, Roost off the damage, and take care of Aegislash. Some calcs to explain the reasoning. One with Leftovers and one without as some Mandibuzz variants use Rocky Helmet.

Without Leftovers:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 84-99 (19.8 - 23.4%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 85-102 (20 - 24.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 21-26 (4.9 - 6.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

With Leftovers:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 84-99 (19.8 - 23.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 85-102 (20 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 21-26 (4.9 - 6.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Against Aegislash:

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Aegislash-Blade: 492-582 (152.7 - 180.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Aegislash-Shield: 84-102 (26 - 31.6%) -- 11.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Set:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

This set is straight forward. Use Taunt to prevent Aegislash from using King's Shield, and then hit it with Foul Play for the OHKO in it's Blade Form. If necessary in between Taunts or Defog, Roost off any damage.

As mentioned any critiques would be welcomed.

Poll Choice: Greninja

Last edited:
Quick Update : Poll has been fixed, you may now vote accordingly
By the way, good job on the quality so far with these posts mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)