Victim Of The Week [VoTW #27 - Zygarde / Zygarde-Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nelson's Thundurus.
What I really enjoy on it is the immunity to electric moves, being capable to stop kokos volt switch and setup a nasty plot or agility. Lately I have been using a more bulky set with agility and modest nature. I switch to koko predicting a thunderbolt or volt switch, use agility and sweep what I can. Really useful and really good mon to use against koko, magnezone, celesteela, skarmory, salamence, blaziken if u predict corretly. A nasty plot set will always be a good wallbreaker, specially those team with chansey, celesteela that jpn love to use. I dont like the scarf set as much I did at gen 6, but still got its potential.

Xen's Excadrill
It's the most solid Volt Switch immunity that I can think of for this scenario. It's also the thing that I would have loved to nominate in the first place.
Everything that's not immune to Volt Switch will just end up in a pretty annoying exchange more often than not. Also, Horn Drill.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Nelson Tangela's Thundurus-T

It was a toss-up between this and Nihilego, but I'm giving it to Thundurus because the electric immunity makes it a lot easier to switch in and kill the momentum for Koko and the opponent (even better if Koko blows its Z-Move on the switch); Nihilego still has to worry about getting hit with a Volt Switch on the switch in, which still deals fair damage and can maintain momentum by putting you in an awkward position depending on what comes in next.

Thundurus also makes for a nice late-game cleaner with that amazing SpA and Scarf. And to further add salt to Koko's wounds, it can twist the Electric Terrain boost in its favor and slaughter the opponent's team with boosted Electric moves coming off a SpA stat that Koko could only dream about.

Last edited:
Vote: Xen's Excadrill.

Because this is such a difficult vote, I'm going to go with each mon one by one and explain why I'm not voting for them, taking into account both 1v1 situations against koko and general performance in the current metagame. Because everything this week could actually counter Koko in one way or another, I'm going to give my opinions on why each mon is good for the job, but also how it can miss out in other aspects.

Alowak - Parivard: Amazing counter, switches in on almost every attack but has to worry about HP ground which is a clean 2HKO. This puts the player in a 50/50 situation as to weather you stay in predicting the hp ground and retaliate, or still switch to alowak as a general counter. 50/50 scenarios are most definitely one of my least favourite things to encounter, which is why Alowak isn't my choice (partly along with how Alowak performs in general outside of the pre-bank metagame).

Leader Wallace - Lanturn: One of my favourite counters here, purely because of volt absorb. It tanks any hit, including grass knot / hp ground really easily, and can chip back in return. In a 1v1 situation Lanturn is going to win pretty much 100% of the time, but outside of this, Lanturn kind of sucks as a bulky water, being weak to ground which is not what you want since majority of bulky waters are going to be your ground-type answer. So, Lanturn almost got my vote but not quite.

ThickFatAzumarill - Mega-Venusaur: An extraordinarily clean counter to Koko, only losing vs the occasional subpar set of supersonic skystrike. While skystrike isn't the most popular set around, it still exists and can prove to be rather troublesome for Mega-Venusaur. In addition to this, while Mege-Venusaur does provide a fair amount of viability in the current metagame, it competes far too heavily with other mega pokemon for that mega slot. While doubling up on megas does remain an option, Mega-Venusaur isn't the kind of mega I would want to have as a double mega. Extremely close, but Venu misses out.

Xen - Excadrill: Excadrill takes my vote this weak. Literally only has to worry about HP ground, and even then (given that Excadrill is scarfed) you survive the hit and can OHKO with earthquake. Scarf also provides great speed control and beats Mimikyu 1v1, an extremely threatening Pokemon right now. Also pressures bulky mons with Horn Drill such as Porygon2 and Celesteela. Because of these in tandem to countering Koko, Excadrill gains my vote!

Kanon90 - Magnezone: A clean counter assuming that Koko isn't running HP ground. However, assuming HP ground (which we have to do given that a counter is meant to switch in and beat the threat regardless of the situation), Magnezone won't be a counter. It's a clean 2HKO and can't outspeed, so bringing it in as a counter is extremely risky. In addition to this, you only have a measly 6.3% chance to OHKO. Even in a 1v1 situation, Koko has a huge advantage. Without HP ground I absolutely love Magnezone as a counter, but that possibility alone is too much for me to vote for Magnezone.

Nelson Tangela - Thundurus-Therian: Does literally the exact same thing that Excadrill does, but rather taking the hit from HP ice and providing a OHKO with sludge wave. The only reason that Thundurus-Therian doesn't gain my vote is that Excadrill has a much better matchup against those top tier threats, which Thundurus-Therian can struggle with. With this it wasn't a matter of what counters Tapu Koko better (since neither does it better than the other), but rather which one more appreciates the metagame it is in. To me, Thundurus-Therian isn't the answer.

3heartstchall - Nihilego: Again, pretty much the same argument I made about Thundurus-Therian. I simply believe that Excadrill, while countering Koko all the same, also threatens top-tier Pokemon a whole lot more more. The exact same case applies to Nihilego in this instance. Close, but not quite!

TheSquash's Rhyperior: A rather interesting counter. The biggest problem for me is that it still loses to grass knot, which has an 18.8% chance to OHKO. Far too shaky for my liking, while also rather slow and underwhelming in the metagame itself. Not entirely sure if I want this to be my Assault Vest user either, with Rhyperior still packing a whole lot of weaknesses which Assault Vest can't cover up well enough. I must admit though, very creative and I do like that.

Mike81401's Mega-Steelix: Literally counters Tapu Koko better than anything else here. Grass knot / HP ice are nothing but a tickle, being a guaranteed 4HKO (this is actually pretty insane lol). My problem here is the same as with Mega-Venusaur to an extent, being that it has far too much competition as a mega. Plus, Mega-Steelix has a really really horrendous matchup against offensive grounds. Looks like a budget Hippowdon to me. Though I do admire the balls to submit this. Great submission but not quite enough for me!

So, yeah. Fantastic submission though everyone, really happy with this week! :]

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Nelson Tangela's Thundurus-T

It was a toss-up between this and Nihilego, but I'm giving it to Thundurus because the electric immunity makes it a lot easier to switch in and kill the momentum for Koko and the opponent (even better if Koko blows its Z-Move on the switch); Nihilego still has to worry about getting hit with a Volt Switch on the switch in, which still deals fair damage and can maintain momentum by putting you in an awkward position depending on what comes in next.

Thundurus also makes for a nice late-game cleaner with that amazing SpA and Scarf. And to further add salt to Koko's wounds, it can twist the Electric Terrain boost in its favor and slaughter the opponent's team with boosted Electric moves coming off a SpA stat that Koko could only dream about.
Actually, Thundurus is a Flying Type, so he can't benefit from the terrains, but I agree that he's a solid check to Tapu Koko that can also wreck a lot of stuff.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Xen

Huge toss-up between Exca and Wak for me, with the tiebreaker going to moleman due to being overall better in the format. Marowak does switch in safely and force Koko out, but it isn't actually earning heaps of momentum for you since it's so slow and you probably need to switch out anyway, which means you need to make predicts after bringing Marowak in anyway. Excadrill comes in easy and can either fire off an EQ, or play safe with an Iron Head, which if you predict wrong and Koko stays in leaves you with a 30% chance of flinching it anyway... Or you can try and hit Horn Drill 3 times lol

VotW Koko poll.png

(sorry if your nomination wasn't included! you can only have 8 options in a poll)

Reactions: Xen
Voting for Xen's Excaxrill
I was trying to think of something original to say about scarf Excadrillt, but dogknees and cant say have said pretty much everything. This set is pretty cool.

Congratulations to Xen for winning VoTW 10 (Tapu Koko) with your submission of Excadrill! Your post will be logged into the archive.

VoTW #11 - Tapu Fini

Back to back Tapus this week, with Tapu Fini taking the podium as our next victim! Tapu Fini has undoubtedly had its fair share of influence on the BSS metagame. Fini harvests a unique niche in the metagame, being a defensive mon capable of shutting down opposing bulky mons with the combination of taunt + nature's madness. Misty terrain is one of Fini's greatest assets, providing temporary immunity to status moves and a grounded dragon damage reduction. Great typing coupled with solid defensive bulk makes fini a rather reliable check to some of the metagame's common sweepers as well. Defensive capabilities isn't Fini's only pro, also being able to run offensive z move sets which can deal a surprising amount of damage. So, how do you deal with Tapu Fini?
Submissions are open and will be closed in four days from now. Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Probably the best counter to fini. Toxapex can stall out Misty Terrain and can then Toxic it. Haze is used to handle CM Fini's. Because of Toxapex's bulk it takes minor damage from Fini's move. If you get Taunted and HP reduced to half through nature's madness then you can simply switch-out and then switch-in again since it gets regenerators. Apart from fini it handles many other physical attackers in the tier.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Probably the best counter to fini. Toxapex can stall out Misty Terrain and can then Toxic it. Haze is used to handle CM Fini's. Because of Toxapex's bulk it takes minor damage from Fini's move. If you get Taunted and HP reduced to half through nature's madness then you can simply switch-out and then switch-in again since it gets regenerators. Apart from fini it handles many other physical attackers in the tier.
I'd argue this is one of the worst counters. Taunt completely shuts you down, and nature's madness chips away at you until moonblast / scald finishes it off. Plus toxapex is way slower, so you'll just get taunted over and over. Leftovers outheals the damage which pex's scald does, so i'm not really sure how this is the best counter

@ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon / Grass Knot

Yeah i know, it's Empoleon. But sometimes my figers just move on their own.
But hey, even being bad this thing can work vs Tapu Fini.
First, it resists both of its STABs...

252+ SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Empoleon: 36-42 (21 - 24.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Empoleon: 42-49 (24.5 - 28.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Surf vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Empoleon: 33-40 (19.2 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO

Then, Empoleon can either attack (flash cannon it's a 3hko before petaya) or easily set up Agility if not Taunted (evs are to outspeed base 130 after 1 boost).
In the perfect scenario you'd be able to turn this thing into a fast penguin (with 2 boost it outspeeds every scarf user barring Jolly Pheromosa) with a boosted SpA thanks to the Petaya.

Now you'd be able to pressure your enemy just until the first Focus Sash Garchomp arrives.

Last edited:
I'd argue this is one of the worst counters. Taunt completely shuts you down, and nature's madness chips away at you until moonblast / scald finishes it off. Plus toxapex is way slower, so you'll just get taunted over and over. Leftovers outheals the damage which pex's scald does, so i'm not really sure how this is the best counter
I feel so, thats why you need to switch-out. This makes opponent restless and he eventually switches out so you can easily PP stall.
Second, yh its not the best counter but gengar mega[Trapping and then hitting hard with a poison move] is better. nvm not best but I still feel its a good counter.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute

Pretty straightforward. 2HKOs Fini with Sludge Bomb and is a hellish matchup against everything slower and that doesn't resist its moves. Just be careful with Fini's terrain when using this monster and also scream when Hypnosis misses.

12 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 132-156 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs. Defensive
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 27-32 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 6HKO
0 SpA Tapu Fini Surf vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 51-61 (30.9 - 36.9%) -- 72.9% chance to 3HKO

vs. Offensive
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 87-103 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 236 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gengar: 144-171 (87.2 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
What Pokemon counters a Water-type Tapu? A Grass-type Tapu, in this case Tapu Bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Grassy Terrain does leave it suspectible to a burn from Scald, but on the flip side it doubles the power of Grass-type moves thus cancelling the power out if such a case occurs.

This is the commonly used Choice Band set, and a Band is always the best item to get around Haze and Taunt. A Choice-Band boosted Wood Hammer is nothing to scoff at, and will even OHKO Fini when burned by Scald and Grassy Terrain is activated. Horn Leech is the alternative STAB move used to recover health. From a defensive point of view, base 95 Sp.Def is good for an all-out attacker, as even a +1 Ice Beam won't OHKO it.

Here're the calcs:
+1 0 SpA Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 194-230 (68.7 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band burned Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 318-375 (92.7 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Tapu Fini in Grassy Terrain: 636-750 (185.4 - 218.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
IV's: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tapu Fini can be a tough nut to crack due to the fact that it can run both offensive and defensive sets well and it can smack Pokemon it normally can't touch with Nature's Madness. Ferrothorn is one of the few Pokemon that can handle both offensive and defensive Fini, with Power Whip carrying a 91% chance to 2HKO 244/252+ Fini, and cleanly 2HKOing Modest variants or Bold variants that don't invest quite as much in Def. Nature's Madness can still be a nuisance, but Ferrothorn can shrug off the damage through the combination of Leftovers + Leech Seed + Protect. Beyond Nature's Madness, Fini can barely scratch Ferrothorn unless it carries HP Fire. Hidden Power in general is pretty rare on Fini, but HP Fire can cause a problem for Ferrothorn if it catches you off-guard, so make sure you scout for it prior (Protect helps here).

-0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 84-102 (47.7 - 57.9%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO
-0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 116-138 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 54-63 (29.8 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252+ SpA Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 35-42 (19.3 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 32-38 (17.6 - 20.9%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 96-116 (53 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Beyond Fini, Ferrothorn is also handy for taking on several popular Battle Spot Pokemon thanks to its bulk and typing. It can comfortably take on threats such as Tapu Koko and non-HP Fire Lele, Greninja, non-Fire Punch Dragonite, and most other Pokemon in general that don't have any super-effective moves to hit it with.

Last edited:

Venusaur(Venusaurite)
Ability : Chlorophyll - Thick Fat
Calm Nature
EVs : 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Def

Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Synthesis

Venusaur has the luxury to switch in to Alola Guardian while taking less than 25%(19.7% to be exact) from a fully invested modest Tapu Fini's Brine/Ice Beam retaliating with Giga Drain or healing with Synthesis. Even at +3 Hydro Vortex does only 77% at best to this monster. Calcs below
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Brine (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 31-37 (16.5 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 30-36 (16 - 19.2%) -- possible 6HKO
+3 252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 122-144 (65.2 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tapu Fini: 66-80 (37.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Calm Mega Venusaur destroys Tapu Koko , also it is a solid answer to Thundurus-T , Greninja , Hydreigon , Breloom even winning 1vs1 against a bulky Mega Gengar.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its the worst counter, but I agree that its not the best. Calm Mind + Taunt sets can easily shut down Toxapex while easily breaking through with boosted attacks.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn / Fell Stinger
- Drill Run
- Knock Off

Despite being frail as shit, Mega Beedrill actually ranks Fini's non-Z moves well and can retaliate with Poison Jab.

252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Beedrill: 100-118 (71.4 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 180-216 (102.2 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 136-160 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic / Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- HP Fire / HP Ice / HP Ground

Magnezone has the perfect typing and bulk to check Tapu Fini. His offensive capabilities are quite interesting, being able to safely pivoting for a teammate.

252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 176-210 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 102-121 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here's calcs for Offensive Fini. Zone takes Hydro Vortex easily and replicates with a guaranteed OHKO Tbolt.
The matchup vs PhysDef Fini is easier.

Magnezone can also handle a lot of threats likes Tapu Lele, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko and Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Celesteela.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)