Project Victim of the Week

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro can take one hit, use Toxic, and just keep spamming Roost until Mega Charizard X dies.
upload_2014-7-1_15-34-23.png
Slowbro has wings?? :P

Anyway great work so far you guys! You've named the most notable ones, and even a couple more obscure ones! (okay btw wtf does the size of the font change whenever I use spellcheck?:mad:) Hope there are more entries and there is more discussion to come!

Heatran Fan :P

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs : 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Protect
-???

Bulky Heatran is a great counter to Char-X, like azumarill it resists a stab and is immune to the other, but since most char x run dragon claw over outrage it's stuck using the weaker stab . At plus 1, char x only has a 4 percent chance to 3HKO with dragon claw factoring in Lefties basically means it needs four hits to bring it down. Heatran can also use protect to rack up more recovery. It can deal 69-81.3% with earth power, scoring a 2HKO. It can use protect to scout for EQ if needed, since heatran forces Char-X out it can also set SR to make its life harder, even factoring Stealth rocks char-x can't 3HKO since it has protect (although you do have to make sure it can't use it as a setup opportunity)

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 248-292 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 186-220 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Heatran Fan :P

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs : 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Protect
-???

Bulky Heatran is a great counter to Char-X, like azumarill it resists a stab and is immune to the other, but since most char x run dragon claw over outrage it's stuck using the weaker stab . At plus 1, char x only has a 4 percent chance to 3HKO with dragon claw factoring in Lefties basically means it needs four hits to bring it down. Heatran can also use protect to rack up more recovery. It can deal 69-81.3% with earth power, scoring a 2HKO. It can use protect to scout for EQ if needed, since heatran forces Char-X out it can also set SR to make its life harder, even factoring Stealth rocks char-x can't 3HKO since it has protect (although you do have to make sure it can't use it as a setup opportunity)

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 248-292 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 186-220 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 152+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 126-149 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
This Char-X has Earthquake. Heatran should not go anywhere near it.

EDIT: Never mind, it used to but was changed. Go Heatran!

Last edited:
This is a check to X-zard. It can switch in and beat it under some circumstances.

Disgusting Speed (Aerodactyl) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 Spd / 248 HP / 32 SDef / 164 Def / 8 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Tomb
- Ice Fang

This is what I like to call, "the world's fastest tank." As a tank, Mega Aerodactyl's mediocre bulk (80/85/95) is somewhat compensated for with its obnoxiously high speed, coverage options, and unique combination of resistances (Fire, Flying, Ground, shared only by Rotom-W.)

These EVs are not specifically tailored for Mega Charizard X, but I discovered it can handle it with some level of efficacy. 56 speed with Jolly allows it to outspeed Mega Pinsir before Mega Evolving. 32 SDef EVs allows it to avoid an OHKO from Timid Mega Charizard-Y's Solarbeam when Roosting. Everything else goes in physical bulk, but later I added a small amount in Attack to let Rock Tomb+Earthquake deal ~2% more damage. This set was meant to handle Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Landorus-I, Heatran, Y-zard, and uh whatever it can outspeed and KO, or at least dent. Which is a lot of things, actually, though it depends on what coverage move you're running (Ice Fang is the best) and if it has been previously dented (only 8 attack EVs makes it kind of weak.)

I discovered that running Rock Tomb could be used instead of Stone Edge. It still gets the KOs it needs (as it's built for things 4x weak to rock,) but it lowers the target's speed which can be useful, especially when facing DD X-zard. If Stealth Rock is not on the field, and Aerodactyl has not been damaged appreciably (needs minimum of 82.6% health left to check) it can hit a +1 X-zard with Rock Tomb (43.4 - 51.8%,) outspeed the next turn and then hit it with Earthquake (47.9 - 56.8%.) This is a damage spread of 91.3% to 108.6%, so it can't guarantee a KO without a small amount of prior damage. However, Bulldoze+Stone Edge is a guaranteed KO (okay it's Stone Edge so actually 80%; Rock Tomb+Earthquake might actually be better, and running Rock Tomb over Stone Edge is a lot better than running Bulldoze over Earthquake.) Whirlwind or Tailwind are also options for handling it, but are usually inferior to Ice Fang/some other coverage.

It's not a flawless check cause it needs to be at very high health, X-zard needs to be slightly damaged AND X-zard can Dragon Dance while you use Rock Tomb and outspeed and OHKO with +2 Dragon Claw, though seriously, when it comes to handling X-zard, what is actually foolproof?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe to be safe give it air balloon so that in the event Char-X does have Earthquake no problem!
The problem with this is that Heatran will only be able to move once vs Zard before Zard breaks its balloon with Dragon Claw. Heatran cannot OHKO Zard X and with only having 1 turn to work with, this really sucks. Heatran can always cripple Zard X with Toxic though.

Last edited:
This one may be niche but it is quite possibly the best Charizard X counter in the whole game:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Roar

So at first glance Rhydon may seem extremely out of place in OU. It doesn't have reliable recovery, has many unfortunate weaknesses like Water, Fighting and Grass, and most importantly it is mostly outclassed by Rhyperior who has Solid Rock and can hold Leftovers for some recovery. However Rhydon can have a niche as quite possibly being the best Charizard X counter thanks to higher defenses with Eviolite.

The set is pretty self explanitory. Earthquake is the main STAB here because it is Earthquake and Earthquake is good. The second move is a choice between Stone Edge and Rock Blast. Stone Edge hits harder than Rock Blast but has less PP and slight accuracy problems. Meanwhile Rock Blast is weaker but has more accuracy, more PP and can break through possible Substitute's, with 5 hits Rock Blast can even do more damage than Stone Edge. Rock Slide can also be used here but it doesn't have the power nor the usefullness of breaking through Substitute which makes it inferior to Rock Blast and Stone Edge. Rest is the third move used and quite possibly the most important one. Rest allows Rhydon to heal up to full HP and shrug of status. Rest also let's Rhydon beat Will-O-Wisp Charizard X which Rhydon otherwise loses to. Lastly the fourth move is a choice between Sleep Talk and Roar. Sleep Talk is the more useful one of the two because it works well with Rest and makes sure Rhydon is not setup fodder for Dragon Dance Charizard X. Roar however can be used to phaze Charizard X and wipe away his Dragon Dance boosts.

Rhydon vs bulky Dragon Dance Charizard X:
152+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 96-114 (23.1 - 27.5%) -- 69.2% chance to 4HKO
+1 152+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 142-168 (34.2 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
If Charizard is running Earthquake then it is only a 4 hit KO while Charizard X without Earthquake is pretty much screwed. If Charizard X used Dragon Dance on the switch then Rhydon can come in, take an Earthquake and use Earthquake of his own for the 2 hit KO. Then turn 2 Rhydon uses Rest while Charizard X either uses Roost or another Dragon Claw. You can also be gutsy and predict the Roost to go for another Earthquake which has a chance to 2 hit KO after a Roost.

4 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 248-294 (69 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Rhydon his Earthquake always outdamages Roost meaning Rhydon wins versus bulky Dragon Dance Charizard X.

Rhydon vs offensive Dragon Dance Charizard X:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 121-144 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 9.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 102-122 (24.6 - 29.4%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
Note that Outrage actually outdamages Earthquake thanks to the Tough Claws boost and STAB. Either way Charizard X will most likely lose. Id Charizard X runs Dragon Claw than it is only a 5 hit KO while Rhydon easily 2 hit KO's. If Charizard X runs Outrage then it oly has a chance to 3 hit KO while Rhydon again almost OHKO's with Earthquake. If Charizard X uses Dragon Dance on the switch and has Outrage it can 2 hit KO but only has a 15% chance to. Rhydon can just switch in on a Dragon Dance, use Earthquake while Charizard X uses Outrage, Rest up while Charizard uses Outrage again and then basically wins because of Outrage confusion and another Earthquake disposes Charizard X. If Charizard X runs Earthquake then RHydon can still take them and win the Earthquake war while Roost gets outdamaged by Earthquake.

4 Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 248-294 (83.5 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Always 2 hit KO's so Rhydon wins versus Charizard X.

Rhydon vs Will-O-Wisp Charizard X:
I don't really have the time for all the calcs so I will just make it quick. If Rhydon gets hit by Will-O-Wisp then Rhydon can Rest up to full and hit hard through Sleep Talk Earthquake and Stone Edge. Earthquake does next to nothing so that won't kill before the Rest cycle ends. Lastly Earthquake outdamages Roost when not burned by Will-O-Wisp.

Final verdict: While Rhydon may be niche it does counter all the possible Charizard X sets making it a great counter.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Week 3:
Wow! Thanks for all the entries. It was very difficult to only choose three of each category, but I managed! As always, if you're curious why I didn't choose your entry, please PM me! Anyway, the Pokemon for Week 8 is... Mega Mawile!

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Mawile is a very threatening sweeper. It can run a variety of coverage moves, and can even run Substitute instead of Swords Dance, but I believe this is the set most people need to be able to counter and/or check in OU. Good luck finding checks and counters for Mawile!

This was recently brought up in the viability thread but I had been using this since start of XY (where it proved useful in the hype of agenesect and Mega Lucario) and am proud to say he is at least getting some much needed representation at last.

Arcanine
Item: Leftovers
248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish
Flare Blitz
Will-o-Wisp
Morning Sun
Extremespeed

As being a defensive fire type with priority and recovery, almost all Mega Maw are stopped in her tracks. They are best hoping to hit you with Sucker Punch, their one move that is not resisted by you but fails to hit if you choose three of your four moves. To say Arcanine neuters Mawile is an understatement and he assists in many regards outside of the team. He is able to take quite a beating, switching in and absorbing even some super effective hits with his ability.

Sadly he is hampered by susceptible to all hazards, and is SR weak. Non the less he is still capable of doing his role well by absorbing hit after hit and recovering like nobodies business.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna give a Counter.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Flash Fire
- Will o Wisp
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Mawile needs subpunch to beat Heatran. This Mawile does not have Sub Punch. Sucker Punch is the only thig that will do any damage to Heatran, and even then it's so predictable Heatran just laughs and burns the fairy. Lava Plume is then used to finish her off, While Earth Power is for other pokes like opposing Heatran. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, and defensive Heatran is one of the best setters out there.

Here's a useful check. It near counters a Mega Mawile which hasn't set up to +2 already. It's also a useful pokemon on VoltTurn or Bulky Offense teams.

Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Intimidate
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-Turn

This is a standard Physically Defensive Landorus-T with Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers. The Rocky Helmet is essential here because Earthquake (min 80% damage) + 2 turns of Rocky Helmet damage are enough to guarantee the kill on Mawile and Landorus will always require Mawile at +1 to hit it twice. There are a few scenarios here (always remember to reduce attack by 1 in any calculation due to Intimidate):

1. Landorus-T switches in on +0 Swords Dance or +2 Sucker Punch: Then, Play Rough + Sucker Punch will kill Landorus-T but the Earthquake + 2 sets of recoil will kill Mawile as well and there's a good chance that Earthquake + 1 turn of recoil kills Mawile and thus avoids the Sucker Punch kill. A similar result happens if Landorus switches in on +2 Fire Fang, if the Mawile uses Play Rough on the next turn. The trade is often worth it, as Mawile is a huge win condition.

2. Landorus-T switches in on +0 Play Rough, Fire Fang or Sucker Punch: Landorus always wins this matchup 1 on 1, without dying as in the first scenario.

3. Landorus-T switches in on +2 Play Rough: Landorus dies as Sucker Punch kills it the next turn.

The last scenario is a really dire one in which Mawile is near unstoppable (Heatran still works though.) Additionally, Sucker Punch mind games often give Landorus-T a free switch in to Mega Mawile. Since Landorus can switch in on a fairly common scenario (+0 Sucker Punch) and KO Mawile, or assure mutual destruction on a set up, it is a good check for Mega Mawile, and one of the few checks an offensive team can use.

PS: Mawile is such a monster. Even great physical walls such as Quagsire, Hippowdon and Gliscor can only check and not counter it since Play Rough 2HKO's (or has a chance to 2HKO) if Rocks are up. Hippo is pretty close to a counter though.

Last edited:
BU Talonflame I will classifly as a Counter

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp/Taunt

Even if Talonflame switches in on a Sword Dance, Talonflame can outspeed and hit Mega Mawile with a Will-O-Wisp or can just Taunt it to prevent further Sword Dances. Then Talon can just spam Bulk Up and Roost when necessary and make Mega Mawile complete set up fodder. Brave Bird doesnt do much, but without recovery options for Mega Mawile, Talonflame can just wear her down very quickly. Play Rough and Fire Fang are resisted by Talonflame and is completely immune to Sucker Punch with this set.

BU Talonflame I will classifly as a Counter

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp/Taunt

Even if Talonflame switches in on a Sword Dance, Talonflame can outspeed and hit Mega Mawile with a Will-O-Wisp or can just Taunt it to prevent further Sword Dances. Then Talon can just spam Bulk Up and Roost when necessary and make Mega Mawile complete set up fodder. Brave Bird doesnt do much, but without recovery options for Mega Mawile, Talonflame can just wear her down very quickly. Play Rough and Fire Fang are resisted by Talonflame and is completely immune to Sucker Punch with this set.
The Wisp version is a counter but the Taunt one isn't since Play Rough has an 88% Chance of 2HKO at +0 (after Leftovers) and is a guaranteed OHKO at +2. However, you can probably play mind games, since most Mawile users would expect the Flare Blitz.

Of course, it also goes without saying that neither set can counter Mawile if Rocks are up.

A Physically Defensive version would be a much better counter but would probably have less overall utility.

Check (?)

Mega Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Even at +6 in atk, the best that mawile can do is:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 345-406 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

So i have all the time to leech seed, heal myself with synthesis if he try to sucker punch. I can always 2okho with hp fire. Why using megasaur for counter megamawile? Because even the subpunch set is easy to deal with, also with only 2 real weakness (if u are not kyurem or mega gyarads) this is one of the best walls in OU.

And i'm not gonna win

Last edited:
Counter, but somewhat shaky:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 60SpA / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Solar Beam/Focus Blast

I got a more offensive counter in ZardY. The given evs mean zard can always switch in with SR and survive a play rough.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Mega Charizard Y: 152-179 (42.2 - 49.7%)
Running at least this much bulk is mandatory. More Can be added if necessary. Speed evs let me outspeed max speed gyarados and burn it. Rest went in special attack. More or less speed can be added, but really not much more you can speed creep by going more.
Flamethrower for higher pp and accuracy over fire blast. wisp for burns. Roost for healing. Solar Beam for waters and focus blast for tyranitar and heatran.
Idea is come in on megamaw and burn it or roost up.
This Zard likes to be on balanced/bulky offense/semi stall teams. It like having gothitelle to kill pesky chansey. Defog support also wanted

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Weezing @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

I found this out the hard way that Weezing is actually one of the best Mawile counters in the game. Thanks to WoW, as well as having access to Flamethrower, Weezing is able to kill any Mega Mawile sweep cold, as its typing lets it resist Fairy- and Fighting-type coverage moves, allowing it to put its titanic physical bulk to good use. Here's a replay of me accidentally queueing my RU stall team into DeoSharp, and winning in the end thanks to Weezing's unique walling prowess.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-137940395

Counter/Check

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 Spe
Timid/Bold Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

My personal favorite Mega Mawile Counter/Check.
+Resists Both Fire and Fairy
+Can Outspeed Mega Mawile easily even with Bold Nature and no Speed Investments to Burn it/Hit it with Flamethrower or Fire Blast
+Can stall out Sucker Punch's PP easily thanks to Pressure.
+Can Roost off Damage and still Resist Fire Fang and Play Rough.

-4x Stealth Rock Weakness

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Name: Rotom-H

Counter>Check

if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Pain Split / Rest

Rotom-H is one of the best overall counters to Mega Mawile there is primarily due to its typing which give it a resitence to both of Mawile's STABs. Rotom-H has 2 tools to deal with Mawile with the first being Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-H will always outpace Adamant Mawile and Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom to dodge a potential +6 Sucker Punch and burn Mawile. After Mawile has been burned, Rotom-H can live any attack and OHKO Mawile with Overheat being the second tool. The set explains itself pretty well except for the seemingly rogue Thunderbolt slashed with the preferred Volt Switch. Thunderbolt is use to break Substitutes without being forced out (Volt Switch) or halving Rotom-H's Special Attack (Overheat), this includes Mawile's Substitute. The only problem with using Rotom-H is its Stealth Rock weakness which makes it fairly easy to wear down even with Rest / Pain Split. Using Rotom-H also means you cannot use another Rotom forme such as Rotom-W due to Species Clause.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Week 8:
Thanks for all the counters this week! There were quite a bit to choose from, and I'm annoyed I can't choose them all. As always, if you're curious why I didn't choose your entry, shoot me a PM. This week's Pokemon will be Mega Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Mega Gyarados is a very fearsome Pokemon in OU. It has a phenomenal attack stat, superb bulk which is enhanced by its normal form's access to Intimidate, and enough Speed to do what it needs to do. Mega Gyarados is also very interesting as it combines the utility of both its normal form and its mega form. Keep in mind both of Gyarados' typings and stats when thinking of checks and counters! Good luck and have fun! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)