XY NU Viva La Sunkern (No Sunkern Involved)

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor

Introduction: Hey there, fancy meeting you here. Anyways, it's about time I do my first RMT given my recent interest in the NU tier (best tier 10/10). To preface this off, the reason behind this team being made was for the Pokemon Showdown Premier League (PSPL) tournament, in which I was representing NU for WiFi. It was the second round and I felt my old team was becoming too predictable, so I enlisted the help of based Montsegur and got some general feedback before having to battle. Initially I wasn't a great fan of the team as it was way too offensive for general tournament play, or so I thought. I ended up using a new team for the third round, but found myself compelled to use this team in the Finals against Italiano (not at all because I was too lazy to make a new one) and found myself beating their battler. After that particular tournament, I just took to slightly laddering around the ladder with one of my alts (I'm no great ladderer, not enough patient) and ended up getting around 1450-ish. Sadly no screenshot (not that it matters; wasn't a big feat). Anyways, without further ado, time for the squad.

First off, I knew I wanted to use Sceptile because it was and still is a very potent attacker, especially when behind a Sub.

After putting up Sceptile, the fear of Fire spam, particularly Scarf Fire spam got me very scared, so I turned to one of my favorite Pokemon to use in NU, AV 'Yama. It's a great defensive Pokemon and I still love using it.

Next up, I needed both a momentum gainer and a powerful special attacker. Immediately the thought of ScarfFan came to me since it's been a staple point of most of my teams every since I began the tier. (Seriously, who doesn't love a spooky fan?) As for the special attacker, I decided upon Mismagius. Obviously, I must be insane for running it when a lot of people typically run NastyPlot, right? Not really, as it is a pretty nice surprise factor and works shockingly well with Trick, being able to cripple Pokemon dependent on their item, such as Ferroseed.

Next up, I needed an offensive spinner that could directly spook Typhlosion with a dual resist to its STAB (okay, not my primary intentions when I made the team, just kinda happened; nice touch though), and LO Kabutops just fit right in. However, it still stands to be the most expendable Pokemon on the team, typically getting sacked mid game on a suicide spin after the opposing hazards setter is fainted.

Lastly, I needed some form of hazards setter, and was growing old of the suicide Archeops which was literally found on EVERY TEAM I made before this one. (Shoutout to bad user: xzern for getting me so addicted on that bird thing.) After some consultation with Montsegur, he showed me the way of Rampardos as a lead, which proved to be godly against certain Pokemon that used to be considered threats to my team.

More In-Depth Look

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Sceptile is what I originally wanted to build around, since it is a really scary Pokemon with great capabilities, as I later found out. I eventually chose on running a Substitute+3 Attacks with a Life Orb, as it takes advantage of the multitude of Pokemon Sceptile forces out, while also allowing it to whittle down its supposed 'checks', bar Dragalge. Giga Drain is run over Leaf Storm for main STAB move as Sceptile will be brought down to Overgrow very easily via Substitute and Life Orb which mitigates the lack of base power, while providing Sceptile a method of regaining lost HP. It is also due to the fact that a Sceptile behind a Substitute will not want to drop its Special Attack, as it is virtually useless once that happens. Very rarely does the lack of power make the difference, so that's why I run Giga Drain. Focus Blast helps Sceptile deal with the Pokemon that resist its main Grass STAB, especially in the case of Ferroseed and Probopass. It also helps with the slight rise in Stoutland, ensuring an easy OHKO providing you can hit. HP Rock is a great choice over Ice in my opinion, as it not only still ensures that Sceptile is able to handle Flying-type Pokemon, but also 2HKO certain Fire-type threats such as Typhlosion and Magmortar. Other than that, it's a standard EV spread, as I didn't have enough optimization, but it still works wonders. Most games are left to Sceptile for clean up.​

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out​

Hariyama is without a doubt the greatest check to Fire spam in the tier as of now, taking pitiful damage from Modest Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruptions. It was really a necessity for the team, taking the blunt of most special attacks. It's a standard dual priority with Knock Off for Ghost-types and the omnipresent Close Combat. I consider it to be the defensive glue of this team that can still keep up offensive pressure, making it one of my favorite go-to Pokemon for more difficult clean ups that Sceptile can't do.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Rotom-S is a lovely Choice Scarf user that is great at keeping up offensive momentum, something that is nearly almost needed on a more offensive oriented team. Choice Scarf gives it the ability of a revenge killer while Trick lets it cripple item-dependent Pokemon, with Will-O-Wisp being a nice utility move to finish off physical attackers save Guts Gurdurr and Hariyama.

Mismagius @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Trick

Again, Choice Specs Mismagius has saved my ass plenty of times, even though it seems slightly unorthodox with Nasty Plot/Destiny Bond sets becoming much more omnipresent. The only issue I face with those sets is the fact that Mismagius lacks the Defense to set up too well, especially with Knock Off becoming very present in the Sixth Generation. Anyways, Modest Specs Mismagius is horrifying to think of, being able to always score a 2HKO on AV Hariyama (252+ SpA Choice Specs Mismagius Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 280-330 (56.9 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), a feat that is nothing to scoff at. Trick is, again, there for crippling certain Pokemon, especially physical attackers in this case.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Kabutops has recently dropped down to NU, something that is nice to take advantage of when looking for an offensive based Spinner. While it's not my primary switch in to a lot of things, it can somewhat counter Fake Out 'Yama, though not really. Easily the most expendable member of my team, as shown by the countless times this Pokemon has been used as a mid-late game sack to get into either Sceptile or Mismagius, based on the scenario.

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Rampardos is what you might call my method of coping with not having suicide lead Archeops on my team. While at first I was skeptical about replacing my speedy-quick Taunt Pokemon for something with a laughable Speed, I quickly realized how valuable Rampardos is to my team. It's essentially my dedicated lead, where I just act based upon the matchup. Endeavor is great at surprising defensive walls such as Seismitoad and Vileplume once Rampardos is on its last legs, as well as removing of any form of Energy Ball Mesprit via the combination of Endeavor and a Fake Out from Hariyama.

All in all, that just about sums up my team. I realize that I'm quite weak to things like Silk Scarf Kangaskhan and other super offensively based Pokemon, but that's the joy of offense; you have to predict a tad to get good outcomes, something I enjoy doing. Anyways, any feedback is much appreciated; take care everyone.

Threat List
Bouffalant: This thing can prove to be a burden if it manages to get behind a Sub, although a combination of Fake Out and Bullet Punch from Hariyama coupled with either a Scarf Air Slash/Volt Switch or Dazzling Gleam from Mismagius.

Carracosta: If this thing manages to get up a Shell Smash, something dies easily, especially once Rotom-S is gone. To be honest, this thing isn't present enough to worry about it, though it still punches holes through the team once it can outspeed Sceptile.

Chatot: This disgusting thing is pretty taken care of via priority from Hariyama alongside Sceptile's HP Rock/Rotom-S's Volt Switch.

Dragalge: It sucks so hard to face this thing supposing that Mismagius is gone, though it is manageable through Stone Edge from Kabutops alongside an Air Slash or two.

Feraligatr: It's hard to counter this thing after about two Dragon Dances, as it then outspeeds my Sceptile and can proceed to OHKO Rotom-S with a Waterfall while outspeeding.

Kangaskhan: I hate it with a mild passion as it almost always requires me to sack something if I am not in with Sceptile, or Hariyama isn't at full.

Mismagius: Same scenario with a plethora of set up Pokemon, only it is immune to Hariyama's Fake Out. Boasts a nice Special Defense so that it can eat up Rotom's Volt Switch. Only thing I can really do against Nasty Plot variants is to hope I can both survive an attack with Kabutops and proceed to hit a Stone Edge, bringing it to Bullet Punch range.

Sceptile: Surprisingly enough, the core of this team is also the demise of it many a time, especially after Rotom is gone and Hariyama is weakened.

Typhlosion: Hariyama laughs at this, eating up attacks for many a moon.
Shoutouts:
no1 fuk u lol
But seriously though, thanks Montsegur for helping me out with the whole teambuilding thing, wouldn't be here without ya.

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Mismagius @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Trick

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey slayerx725232 I must of missed this the first time around when helping you with your team but they EVs on Hariyama should be 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe, this is a better distribution of bulk for Hariyama seeing as it has a massive HP stat, if you want a more evenly distributed spread than you can go 128 / 128 in both defenses. Im also going to say that you should also change Thunderbolt > Psychic as having Dazzling Gleam and Psychic together on the same set is kind of redundant and Thunderbolt provides better neutral coverage. You could also try out Destiny Bond as a check to slower mons that have set up. Also take out the 4HP EVs from all of your Pokemon such as Sceptile, Kabutops, and Mismagius as it will provide less damage from Stealth Rock and Life Orb. Overall really solid team that has obviously helped you win some key matches, already made the big suggestion of lead Rampardos ;o so these are all small fine tuning changes. Good luck!

slayerx725232

Hey Montsegur, I am pretty certain I meant to 252 in SpD on 'yama, but something happened it appears. Also if anything, I don't see the point in Dazzling Gleam as much as Psychic looking back at it, though it is nice to be able to hit everything neutrally. My primary concern with dropping Psychic is the loss of a 2HKO on Defensive Dragalge supposing I don't get up Rocks. Anyways, it's all very situational anyways, so perhaps Tbolt would be better. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion.

Not bad at all. Two things I would recommend: first I see the merits of leap Rampardos, but like you said, it's speed is dreadful. I'd go Lead Archeops > Lead Rampardos. You know the set I'd imagine
Archeops @ Focus Sash
252 Atk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Endeavor
Head Smash
Taunt
Stealth Rocks

I'm not quite sure why you prefer Ramp over this, but I really love this set, as it does such great work at breaking walls and breaking stall.
One last thing, I'd switch Hariyama's spread from 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpDef --> 252 Atk/236 SpDef/20 Spe as this'll still keep you from being 2HKO'd by Specs Phlosion and you'll be able to outspeed other Hariyamas running the more average 16 Spe. Hope I helped!

slayerx725232

Haha, thanks Mr.Murkrow. The main reason I'm using Rampardos over Archeops is because it hits like a truck and I used Archeops on all of my other teams; long story short, I was trying to stray away from using what I always used. It still does wonders though, being able to break many lead Pokemon whether it's from EQ, Stone Edge, or flat out Endeavoring them. I personally like it and prefer it over Archeops on this team, since it can whittle down a Pokemon or two, so that others can clean up. But I will most likely change Yama spread because other Yamas suck.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not bad at all. Two things I would recommend: first I see the merits of leap Rampardos, but like you said, it's speed is dreadful. I'd go Lead Archeops > Lead Rampardos. You know the set I'd imagine
Archeops @ Focus Sash
252 Atk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Endeavor
Head Smash
Taunt
Stealth Rocks

I'm not quite sure why you prefer Ramp over this, but I really love this set, as it does such great work at breaking walls and breaking stall.
One last thing, I'd switch Hariyama's spread from 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SpDef --> 252 Atk/236 SpDef/20 Spe as this'll still keep you from being 2HKO'd by Specs Phlosion and you'll be able to outspeed other Hariyamas running the more average 16 Spe. Hope I helped!
The main advantage of using Lead Rampardos over Lead Archeops is you can OHKO Sturdy Crustle and can get up rocks for free on Xatu with Mold Breaker. Its quite a nifty set and if you haven't tried it yet I would give it a whirl.

Hi slayerx725232 i have a couple of suggestions to help you improve your team. First of all change Mismagius to a Will-o-Wisp Stallbreaker set as it still retains the ability to cripple Hariyama without locking you into an exploitable move like the Choice Specs set you have does (looking at threatlist the Pokemon that give you trouble can mostly only set up on a Carracosta locked into a wrong move). You might miss Trick but Taunt cripples defensive Pokemon just the same.
Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
My second suggestion is to try Garbodor over Kabutops. While it might look as a quite strange change using Garbodor gives you a very strong check to Kangashkhan and physical attackers (Gatr n_n) as well as a reliable switch in to Fighting-types like Sawk who basically OHKO your team with either Knock Off or Close Combat granted them a free switch in. Not to mention that Garbodor can come in for pretty much free on a lot of Sceptile checks and lures in stuff like Seismitoad who Sceptile beats with ease. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also a fantastic tool for any offensive team like yours. I don't feel like you need hazards removal that much and Garbodor eats up Toxic Spikes anyway and you told Kabutops isnt great anyway so i think this change won't hurt :]
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot

PS: +2 Carracosta is slower than Sceptile n_n

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i don't think those would work galbia :( i mean garbodor is nice and all, but he's better of using Taunt Destiny Bond Mismagius to remove Hariyama, Kangaskhan, or any threat he wants to remove to helps the rest of the team

anyway my rate: to help with Dragalge, Kangaskhan, and Chatot while still dealing with Fire-types, I am gonna suggest you to go Rhydon over Kabutops.

Rhyhorn (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock

or

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

This will give you a more bulkier switch-in to those.

Both Offensive and Specially Defensive can work, so all you really need to choose is if you want it to switch more easily on stuff or it you want it to do more damage and potentially wallbreak. Rhydon also gives you an Electric-type immunity and can also deal with Mismagius (more easily if using SpDef obviously).

Now if you do go Rhydon over Kabutops, I am going to suggest changing Rampardos to a different lead: Qwilfish.

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes

Pretty standard set. Spikes and Toxic Spikes will make it easier for you to wear down stuff for the team, especially since most walls don't have reliable recovery (thinking of Hariyama, Seismitoad, etc). Use Taunt to prevent entry hazards / Defog and Explosion to block Rapid Spin or do a ton to something.

small suggestions:

• If you want to keep Specs Mismagius, you could try Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Trick / Nasty Plot. Idea behind this is to Trick Special walls like Audino, which will help Sceptile. Ghost / Fairy is already good coverage, and Nasty Plot would allow Mismagius to boost up after tricking away its Choice Specs to open up bigger holes in the opponent's team.
  • If you don't, you can try Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Taunt / Destiny Bond or Nasty Plot over Destiny Bond.
  • To be honest, I don't think Rotom-S works on this team. But then you also need it to help against Fighting-types :(. Maybe try different Fighting-type resist there? something like Mesprit or Slurpuff.
  • You could put Ice Punch or Earthquake over Fake Out on Hariyama to let it do a good amount to Vileplume and Dragalge.
I hope I was helpful :) good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)