VM Notifications

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I think it might be worthwhile to have a popup box when you get a visitor message, similar to the pop up you get when you receive a private message. The current notification system is not all that obvious, so VM often go unnoticed.

i definitely agree to this, i cant count the number of times that i received a vm from a tourney opponent and they send me the message but i dont refresh the page soon enough to contact them back in time. This has even happened more often when im sending a message my opponent has a similar situation.

sorry if this is a silly question, but do only moderators get everything lumped together in a 'notifications' window? it alerts me whenever i have a 'notification' which includes vms, pms, friend requests, and other such gobbledygook.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you only get a pop-up for the latest notification. Hence if you came on Smogon and found that you had 20 VMs, you'd get 1 pop-up and 20 notifications listed above.

then... how is this a problem? i dont understand how you wouldn't notice a number in the upper right hand corner of every single screen.
It depends on the location of your scrollbar (at least for me) whether the number appears (most of the time, it doesn't for my PMs) and the number doesn't stand out a lot (a little, yeah, but not a lot). So, it's hard to notice, at least for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you only get a pop-up for the latest notification. Hence if you came on Smogon and found that you had 20 VMs, you'd get 1 pop-up and 20 notifications listed above.
At least it would alert you to the fact that you had any VM's at all!

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My point is that you would not get 20 pop-ups. I do not have a strong opinion on this, but I thought I should clear up that misconception.

Because not everybody checks the upper corner for new stuff every time they log on smogon. And sometimes, if you have gotten PMs too, the bolded little number is mistaken for new PMs due to the popup.

Also, I fully support this suggestion.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
then... how is this a problem? i dont understand how you wouldn't notice a number in the upper right hand corner of every single screen.
the number is about 8 pixels tall

the only reason I notice it is because I learned to appreciate that nice 3 seconds of horror while i waited for the pop up to tell me i had an infraction

the number is about 8 pixels tall

the only reason I notice it is because I learned to appreciate that nice 3 seconds of horror while i waited for the pop up to tell me i had an infraction
it also exists on every single page you visit on this forum. your name is only a few pixels tall too! make sure to write it down somewhere else so you don't forget it.

I get VM notifications just fine (fine on Dutty V4 and Q-Mobile 1.2). I think there is also a fix floating around on here somewhere, cant seem to find it ATM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)