Volcanion (Heavy WIP)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just putting this here to show that I wasn't joking when I said I would take this. Gonna take me a while to figure this mon out though, its movepool is bad and it's weak to rocks ;;;

Overview
########

IT CHECKS AZU AND KELDEO AND MAWILE #HYPE

SubStatus
########
name: SubStatus
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Steam Eruption/Scald
move 4: Protect
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Enough Speed for max speed Mawile, rest in Def

Usage Tips
========

Wish support and/or Defog support is mandatory since this thing switches a lot

Team Options
========

Specs Maybe?
########
name: Specs Maybe?
move 1: Steam Eruption
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Sludge Wave / Focus Blast
item: Choice Specs
evs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe or 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

Set Details
========

First spread outspeeds Mawile and 40 Spe Tran, second is max to tie with or outspeed Bisharp depending on nature.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
If you have an sets you'd like to suggest, PM me them and I will try to test them with some buds, ty n_n

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There probably isn't need for scald on the first set, isn't that the point of Steam Eruption?

Edit: If PP isn't an issue, that is.

confirming that this mon is both good and makes mawile sad :c

haxing (BAN ME PLEASE) imo n_n

The SubStatus set is missing full Evs. Also, 100 speed isn't enough to outspeed fully invested Mega Mawile. Should the spread be 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 Speed? This would let Volcanion outspeed Jolly Mawile and still have enough bulk to easily check him.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
The SubStatus set is missing full Evs. Also, 100 speed isn't enough to outspeed fully invested Mega Mawile. Should the spread be 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 Speed? This would let Volcanion outspeed Jolly Mawile and still have enough bulk to easily check him.
No one runs jolly mawile. Also it was a typo, it's supposed to be 160 Def EVs.

Mega Mawile has bes 50 speed, why would it ever run max speed? Maybe it would run a few speed evs to speed-creep Azumarill and other max hp max attack Mawile.

According to the SmogonDex, 124 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Azumarill, Aegislash, and Scizor (all min speed, of course.) It also says that you may run 220 to outspeed min speed Heatran, and that is pretty darn close to max. I guess we're just being sure about outspeeding MMawile with Volcanion.

I tested Volcanion for a while on cartridge. Firstly I don't think any speed EV's are really needed on the defensive sets. The only Azumarill that ever runs enough speed to outspeed Volcanion is Belly Drum in my experience. Something you struggle to check anyway as your 2 attacking moves on the defensive set do little damage. The only thing to really consider running speed for is specially defensive Heatran, but once you are in Heatran is going to run anyway.

I think the 3 best sets are:

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
move 4: Protect/Will-o-Wisp
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

This set is a very good check to Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, non-Belly drum Azumarill, Greninja. I definitely think you need a second attacking move on the defensive sets. Flamethrower helps with conserving PP, while quickly annihilating things like Ferrothorn and Scizor. Toxic or Will-o-Wisp or both is the big decision really. Status is really good on Volcanion. It comes with an advantage, that steel types immune to Toxic don't want to switch into Volcanion fearing a fire move, and everything immune to Will-o-Wisp (except other Volcanion) doesn't want to switch in fearing Steam Eruption. I think Toxic is slightly better as it hurts bulky waters more, and whittles down defensive Pokemon faster. There's definitely an argument to run both though.

Protect is good for scouting, good for extra poison/burn damage.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
move 4: Protect/Will-o-Wisp
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Bold

This set is a better answer to Keldeo, Azumarill while still being able to handle Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir. It plays similar to the previous set. It can handle some different threats though such as Talonflame.

Although you are a good answer to most Keldeo, bare in mind you are complete setup fodder for a sub-Calm Mind version.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Sludge Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

I am less sure of this set. But it does have some merits. The first is it's a complete stop to Azumarill. Steam Eruption is your spammable STAB. Fire Blast your other STAB. Sludge Wave mauls fairy types, most notably Azumarill who resists all your other moves. Hidden Power Ice is for Dragon types who resist your 2 STAB moves, it 2HKO's both the Lati twins.

Max Special Attack to maximise attack. Max Speed to tie with opposing neutral natured base 70s such as Bisharp. Your natural physical bulk means Sucker Punch is rarely even a 2HKO.

Some good partners are generally things that help keep Stealth Rock off the field. Excadrill is the most obvious partner as you cover it's fire and water weakness, while it covers your electric, rock and ground (with Air Balloon) weakness. Defog Scizor is another good partner, as you can take the fire attacks aimed at it.

In other options mention that it gets Roar. I personally don't think it warrants a slash on any set, but it can help get you out of a bad spot, for example a sub-CM Keldeo setting up in your face.

Some things you probably want to mention in the analysis is Volcanion can act as a deterrent. The mere fact you have a Volcanion sitting in the back makes it lot less likely that the opponent's Azumarill/Keldeo is going to start spamming choice water type moves. Other things you want to mention are about PP consumption. Be wise when you spam Steam Eruption. 8 PP hurts on a defensive Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)