Waltzing Matilda

Waltzing Matilda!
|
|
|
|
|

Opening words
By looking at just Tyranitar; Yes, this is a Sandstorm team, kinda. And yes, I am not proud of it! A long while ago, I took a long break from competetive pokemon. I came back a few months after the B/W metagames settled down a bit. Now, we're having a tournament in my country (Mostly for fun) and I need a somewhat reliable team that I like playing with. I have been trying to build a couple of teams and play around with them, testing them. But I never liked them all too much. I feel my teambuilding has been lackluster as of lately. Due to this reason, I settled with a Sandstorm team.

My main goal is to beat one of my friends at the tournament. He is running a Rain team which I really do think I can beat at the moment. Be aware, when rating, that the main focus for the team currently is to function under the B/W metagame, since B/W2 won't be coming out until the day for the tournament.

Regarding the title, Waltzing Matilda. We had the song in our English workbooks in 9th grade and I recently thought about the title a couple of times. I thought "Why not make it the title of my next RMT?"

Also note that English is not my first language. Errors may be made ~

The team

@ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Tyranitar's main goal for the team is to set up hazards and sponge some special attacks aimed at the other members. I gave him Stealth Rock for a reason; best move in the game. I have both Crunch and Earthquake for obvious STAB and Pursuit to trap Lati@s. I saw no need to run Fire Blast, since I have two Hidden Power [Fire] on the team. I have maximized the bulk to take on Lati@s, for the most part, and take Scald' from Politoed's if I ever have to switch in on them.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Drill Peck

Skarmory is there to take on the physical attacks aimed at TTar. Another form for hazards in the form of Spikes is also nice to have on the field. Whirlwind is for phazing away the pokemons that boost. Drill Peck because I do not like taking recoil damage and Roost because.. It is Roost. On Skarmory. My basic thought was to tank hits from Scizor and Breloom when choosing Skarmory for the team.

(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Not much else to say than I needed a revenge killer and Latios fits perfectly in the team. He has good enough synergy for him to come in on a resisted attack that was meanth for another member. The moveset should be explaining itself. I needed some Fire moves to hit Steel and Grass types harder. Surf to hit fire types and Draco Meteor because.. Well, it is OP.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

I put Gastrodon on my team to check Rain teams, for the most part. He is also immune to Electric attacks which Skarmory appreciates. Since the point for Gastrodon is to take special attacks better, to synergize with Skarmory's Physically defensive investment, I maxxed out HP and Special Defense. Recover is there for obvious recovery, Toxic to spread around status, Earth Power for STAB and Ice Beam for Dragons and nailing Grass pokemons on the switch. Storm Drain to.. counter Rain teams.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Yes, I really am bringing back the Ol' 'Cott. I remember Whimsi being a serious threat in the early BW by being the annoying thing it is. He synergizes well with Gastrodon, taking incoming Grass attacks. I see Whimsi as a counter/check to Breloom. Let him Spore, switch to Whimsi as he Swords Dances/Subs and Encore him. Hidden Power [Fire].. If I had found a good enough damage calculator.. It dealt ~55% last time I were facing a Breloom. Substitute and Leech Seed for obvious reasons.. Not much to say.

@ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Usain Bolteon, right here. I actually like this set a lot. It's a force against Rain teams - Has got the BoltBeam combination. I use Substitute to lure out a switch, and possibly pass on a Substitute to another pokemon on the team with Baton Pass or simply just scout their answer to my Jolteon. I also like the speed it gives to the team. Jolteon is mainly here to cover Skarmorys Electric weakness, while luring out Ground attacks for Skarmory to get in on, or Latios for that matter.

Conclusion

I like the team a lot, I think it works pretty well. But I also know that nothing is perfect and a change could make it better. I'm seeking suggestions for the team to function both in the BW metagame, but also in the BW2 metagame, if possible.

Also, sorry for the lack of descriptions worth reading. I really am not proud of how I describe my thought process behind a team, if I do not write it down at the exact time I am making it.

Also, for the second time, Waltzing Matilda

Importable

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Drill Peck

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

While i'm not that experienced,why drill peck over brave bird?The times you'll brave bird will be to straight out kill something when it's on its knees or if you predict a switch of the like of conkeldurr or breloom,i think you'll need the extra power,especially since you can roost off the damage and it'll only be like 10% anyways.

If i were you i'd ditch ice beam and earth power on gastrodon for STAB scald for burning and that poison haze move that eliminates status changes and does damage,can't remember the damn name.

Scald gets STAB,is boosted under rain,and your opponent will think twice about switching in because of the chance of a burn occuring,thus crippling scizor,conkeldurr,ferrothorn,jellicent,etc.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
So, you're Pokelol, the one with the Sandstorm team. Anyways, that's a really cool team you got going on there, I really like the synergy it has. I have a whole bunch of suggestions that you could try that could make this team even better, so here we go. Firstly, all variations of Volcarona will easily cripple your team if it can get a few Quiver Dances up, and he can even muscle past Tyranitar if you let it set-up. To help with this weakness, I suggest that you use a Choice Scarf Landorus in place of your current Latios. When you have Landorus in your team, you can outspeed +1 Timid Volcarona with the gives EV's (see set below) and OHKO with Stone Edge. Scarf Landorus also works very well as a late game cleaner. Well, that's really all I can say for this team. This team looks really, really put together. I really hope you take my advice into consideration. Have fun and good luck with your team!

Landorus @ Choice Scarf Lv. 100 -- Sand Force
Nature: Naive - EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Earthquake
Hidden Power [Ice]
U-turn
Stone Edge

~Dr Ciel~

why drill peck over brave bird?
I see your point. Changed it to Brave Bird

If i were you i'd ditch ice beam and earth power on gastrodon for STAB scald for burning and that poison haze move that eliminates status changes and does damage,can't remember the damn name.
Done. I am currently testing Gastrodon with a set of Recover/Scald/Ice Beam/Clear Smog. Kept Ice Beam for dragons and to not get walled entirely by Toxicroak.

So, you're Pokelol, the one with the Sandstorm team. Anyways, that's a really cool team you got going on there, I really like the synergy it has. I have a whole bunch of suggestions that you could try that could make this team even better, so here we go. Firstly, all variations of Volcarona will easily cripple your team if it can get a few Quiver Dances up, and he can even muscle past Tyranitar if you let it set-up. To help with this weakness, I suggest that you use a Choice Scarf Landorus in place of your current Latios. When you have Landorus in your team, you can outspeed +1 Timid Volcarona with the gives EV's (see set below) and OHKO with Stone Edge. Scarf Landorus also works very well as a late game cleaner. Well, that's really all I can say for this team. This team looks really, really put together. I really hope you take my advice into consideration. Have fun and good luck with your team!
._.

I am currently testing Landorus > Latios. Two games in, I still have not used Landorus for anything else than leading off with an U-Turn, sadly.

Just one little nitpick: Timid on Whimiwcott isn't needed I think. You're faster than everything thanks to Prankster anyway so something like Calm will be a better choice here.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Hey,

You have a pretty cool team, but it has some major problems with Volcarona, because after a Quiver Dance nothing on your team is KOed, and the only pokemon that can take an attack (Gastrodon) can't even hurt Volcarona. Another problem your team faces are opposing Stall or Defensive teams in general, because you don't have any reliable way of taking down defensive pokemon like Skarmory or Blissey, and you lack a rapid spin user, which means your team will be easily wear down by hazards. The best way to fix all these problems would be using Terrakion instead of Whimsicott. Whimisicott seems the most replaceable pokemon on your team since it isn't really doing much at the end (and you have Latios and Skarmory to check Breloom anyway). Here's the set:

Terrakion@Rock Gem | Justified
Jolly Nature | 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Substitute

Another change you should consider is using Superpower instead of Earthquake on Tyranitar, as it hits opposing Tyranitar harder, but foremost, it lets Tyranitar hit Air Balloon users like Heatran or Terrakion on the switch in. It also lets Tyranitar weaken Ferrothorn and kill Blissey, which helps Latios a lot. Speaking of Latios, you should use a Timid nature, because Modest Latios loses against other common Choice Scarf users like Genesect, Salamence, Landorus-I or Terrakion, as well as Chlorophyll sweepers (that are threatening if the opposing team has a Dugtrio), which are big threats for offensively paced teams like this. Using a Timid nature allows Latios to outspeed and kill all of them, while also outspeeding +1 Dragon Dance Salamence, which would sweep your team otherwise.

I see your point. Changed it to Brave Bird

Done. I am currently testing Gastrodon with a set of Recover/Scald/Ice Beam/Clear Smog. Kept Ice Beam for dragons and to not get walled entirely by Toxicroak.

._.

I am currently testing Landorus > Latios. Two games in, I still have not used Landorus for anything else than leading off with an U-Turn, sadly.
Since Gastrodon's SP.A is pretty low i think toxic would work better,no use doing like 40% to them and have them switch out when you can toxic and cripple them,as in preventing Dragonite from ever hitting full HP,you also have clear smog to prevent them setting up and recover to further boost the toxic damage while not forcing yourself to switch.

Hey,

You have a pretty cool team, but it has some major problems with Volcarona, because after a Quiver Dance nothing on your team is KOed, and the only pokemon that can take an attack (Gastrodon) can't even hurt Volcarona. Another problem your team faces are opposing Stall or Defensive teams in general, because you don't have any reliable way of taking down defensive pokemon like Skarmory or Blissey, and you lack a rapid spin user, which means your team will be easily wear down by hazards. The best way to fix all these problems would be using Terrakion instead of Whimsicott. Whimisicott seems the most replaceable pokemon on your team since it isn't really doing much at the end (and you have Latios and Skarmory to check Breloom anyway). Here's the set:

Terrakion@Rock Gem | Justified
Jolly Nature | 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Substitute

Another change you should consider is using Superpower instead of Earthquake on Tyranitar, as it hits opposing Tyranitar harder, but foremost, it lets Tyranitar hit Air Balloon users like Heatran or Terrakion on the switch in. It also lets Tyranitar weaken Ferrothorn and kill Blissey, which helps Latios a lot. Speaking of Latios, you should use a Timid nature, because Modest Latios loses against other common Choice Scarf users like Genesect, Salamence, Landorus-I or Terrakion, as well as Chlorophyll sweepers (that are threatening if the opposing team has a Dugtrio), which are big threats for offensively paced teams like this. Using a Timid nature allows Latios to outspeed and kill all of them, while also outspeeding +1 Dragon Dance Salamence, which would sweep your team otherwise.
In addition to this,a CS Terrakion can switch in on volcarona and i'm pretty sure it outspeeds it even after a quiver dance boost.

Also,Gastrodon destroys volcarona with scald,toxic,recover,clear smog,hell it's entire moveset lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)