Monotype Water Ya Doin'?: Water-type Mono

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
First RMT, boys: let's do this.
:crawdaunt:
Crawdaunt is now one of my favorite Pokemon. Aside from its edgy look, it hits insanely hard with Adaptability-boosted Knock Off, Aqua Jet, and Crabhammer. It has two viable sets, one being a Choice Band set and (my preference) a Life Orb + Dragon Dance sweeper set. The EV's are self-explanatory: 252 Attack and Speed to maximize wallbreaking potential.

:crawdaunt: :golisopod:
After Crawdaunt, I turned around and decided I needed a hazard setter. Golisopod vs. Araquanid wasn't that tough of a choice, as I valued First Impression + Spikes more than Sticky Web + Water Bubble on Water. Also, screw Psychic-types.

:crawdaunt: :golisopod: :volcanion:
Now what? Oh, sure, let's toss in a triple-attack Volcanion for Grass coverage. STAB Flamethrower can singlehandedly win you matchups vs. Grass, Steam Eruption is in the upper echelon of signature moves with its 30% burn chance, and Sludge Bomb hits those pesky pixies. Defog can remove hazards as well, making this underwater volcano a good role compressor.

:crawdaunt: :golisopod: :volcanion: :rotom-wash:
Now, for the special side of things. Rotom-Wash is the only Electric neutrality on this team, but a problem arises when you consider that you can't hard-switch into Electric very well at all (don't worry, a solution is coming up later). Barring that, however, the mop pairs with the volcano (?) to fire off breaking special attacks.

:crawdaunt: :golisopod: :volcanion: :rotom-wash: :keldeo-resolute:

Another special attacker, this time in Keldeo-Resolute. Secret Sword + Scald allows it to hit both physically and specially. Alongside Substitute/Calm Mind, this thing is a good cleaner.

:crawdaunt: :golisopod: :volcanion: :rotom-wash: :keldeo-resolute: :slowking:

Slowking is the brains of this operation semi-operable counter to Electric, with a higher Special Defense than Slowbro. SlowPort is essential for safe switch-ins, while Ice Beam pressurizes Dragon-types. Slack Off lets it stay healthy, while putting pressure on the opponent with Future Sight.
Crabby Attitude :crawdaunt: (Crawdaunt)
ability: Adaptability
item: Choice Band/Life Orb
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
Knock Off
Aqua Jet
Crabhammer

Close Combat (with Choice Band)
/Dragon Dance (with Life Orb)

Wimpy Kid :golisopod: (Golisopod)
ability: Emergency Exit
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Jolly Nature

Spikes
First Impression
Liquidation
Drill Run/Knock Off

Volcano :volcanion: (Volcanion)
ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Modest Nature
Steam Eruption
Flamethrower
Defog
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave

Sliced :keldeo-resolute: (Keldeo-Resolute)
ability: Justified
item: Life Orb
Modest Nature
IV's: 0 Atk

Scald/Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Substitute
Calm Mind

Maid's Best Helper :rotom-wash: (Rotom-Wash)
ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

Nasty Plot
Will-o-Wisp

Gifted Child :slowking: (Slowking)

ability: Oblivious/Own Tempo
EV's: 252 SpA, 252 SpD, 4 HP
Quiet Nature
IV's: 0 Atk, 0 Spe

Teleport/Amnesia
Ice Beam
/Scald
Future Sight
Slack Off
Crawdaunt: Physical Wallbreaker

Crawdaunt's primary claim to fame is its Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet, Crabhammer, and Knock Off. Knock Off provides tremendous utility, knocking off Heavy-Duty Boots for Golisopod and other varying items. Aqua Jet has priority, making it possible to win against physically frail threats like Tapu Koko. For extra power, Crabhammer is there, but due to Crawdaunt's iffy speed, use it on slower targets. The EV spread is self-explanatory.

Golisopod: Hazard Setter, Emergency Physical Wallbreaker

Golisopod has access to good coverage and an entry hazard in Spikes. This being said, I went for a tri-attack Golisopod with Spikes as its hazard form. Emergency Exit is annoying but gives you a clean switch for one turn. Again, self-explanatory EV's.

Keldeo-Resolute: Special Wallbreaker

Keldeo-Resolute pairs up very nicely with Crawdaunt to offer nearly unresisted Fighting-, Water-, and Dark-type coverage. It can hit specially defensive foes physically with Secret Sword, have a trump card in the form of STAB Hydro Pump, and set up with a SubMind set. EV's? Self-explanatory.

Rotom-Wash: Special Wallbreaker, Pivot

Now we have our only Electric neutrality in Rotom-Wash. It can't hard-switch into an oncoming attack, but it can nail non-Electric/non-Ground foes with Thunderbolt and Volt Switch, cripple opposing wallbreakers with Will-o-Wisp, and set up with Nasty Plot. Be careful, though, as it is very frail and gets 3HKO'd by Thunderbolt.

Volcanion: Special Wallbreaker

Next, we've got another special wallbreaker: Volcanion. The underwater volcano is the team's wincon against Bug and Grass, two foes that are quite annoying in the grand scheme of things. Steam Eruption also spreads burns, whilst Flamethrower offers coverage against any Grass-, Bug-, or Steel-type that tries to pull something sneaky. Defog allows for some good hazard control, and Sludge Bomb (or Wave) is there to deal with Fairy-types that would give Keldeo-Resolute and Crawdaunt a lot of trouble.

Slowking: Specially Defensive Wall, Pivot

Finally, we've got a Gifted Child in Slowking. It has access to a SlowPort (0 Speed EV's ensure a safe switch in alongside a Quiet nature), can buff its defenses with Amnesia, hit Dragon- and Flying-types with Ice Beam or spread more status with Scald, restore its HP with Slack Off, and put pressure on the opponent with a Future Sight. It also can use a much rarer Nasty Plot set. Also, this is the defensive "core" of the team (just me, myself, and I...) which gets switched in when there's an electric type on the field.
I'm not very high-ladder (sad 1211 noises) (also, I just realized I'm 59-91, like what)

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Crawdaunt is now one of my favorite Pokemon. Aside from its edgy look, it hits insanely hard with Adaptability-boosted Knock Off, Aqua Jet, and Crabhammer. It has two viable sets, one being a Choice Band set and (my preference) a Life Orb + Dragon Dance sweeper set. The EV's are self-explanatory: 252 Attack and Speed to maximize wallbreaking potential.

After Crawdaunt, I turned around and decided I needed a hazard setter. Golisopod vs. Araquanid wasn't that tough of a choice, as I valued First Impression + Spikes more than Sticky Web + Water Bubble on Water. Also, screw Psychic-types.

Now what? Oh, sure, let's toss in a triple-attack Volcanion for Grass coverage. STAB Flamethrower can singlehandedly win you matchups vs. Grass, Steam Eruption is in the upper echelon of signature moves with its 30% burn chance, and Sludge Bomb hits those pesky pixies. Defog can remove hazards as well, making this underwater volcano a good role compressor.

Now, for the special side of things. Rotom-Wash is the only Electric neutrality on this team, but a problem arises when you consider that you can't hard-switch into Electric very well at all (don't worry, a solution is coming up later). Barring that, however, the mop pairs with the volcano (?) to fire off breaking special attacks.

Another special attacker, this time in Keldeo-Resolute. Secret Sword + Scald allows it to hit both physically and specially. Alongside Substitute/Calm Mind, this thing is a good cleaner.

Slowking is the brains of this operation semi-operable counter to Electric, with a higher Special Defense than Slowbro. SlowPort is essential for safe switch-ins, while Ice Beam pressurizes Dragon-types. Slack Off lets it stay healthy, while putting pressure on the opponent with Future Sight.
Adamant Nature
Knock Off
Aqua Jet
Crabhammer

Jolly Nature

Spikes
First Impression
Liquidation
Drill Run/Knock Off

Modest Nature
Steam Eruption
Flamethrower
Defog
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave

Modest Nature

Scald/Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Substitute
Calm Mind

Modest Nature
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

Nasty Plot
Will-o-Wisp

Quiet Nature

Teleport/Amnesia
Ice Beam
/Scald
Future Sight
Slack Off

Crawdaunt's primary claim to fame is its Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet, Crabhammer, and Knock Off. Knock Off provides tremendous utility, knocking off Heavy-Duty Boots for Golisopod and other varying items. Aqua Jet has priority, making it possible to win against physically frail threats like Tapu Koko. For extra power, Crabhammer is there, but due to Crawdaunt's iffy speed, use it on slower targets. The EV spread is self-explanatory.

Golisopod has access to good coverage and an entry hazard in Spikes. This being said, I went for a tri-attack Golisopod with Spikes as its hazard form. Emergency Exit is annoying but gives you a clean switch for one turn. Again, self-explanatory EV's.

Keldeo-Resolute pairs up very nicely with Crawdaunt to offer nearly unresisted Fighting-, Water-, and Dark-type coverage. It can hit specially defensive foes physically with Secret Sword, have a trump card in the form of STAB Hydro Pump, and set up with a SubMind set. EV's? Self-explanatory.

Now we have our only Electric neutrality in Rotom-Wash. It can't hard-switch into an oncoming attack, but it can nail non-Electric/non-Ground foes with Thunderbolt and Volt Switch, cripple opposing wallbreakers with Will-o-Wisp, and set up with Nasty Plot. Be careful, though, as it is very frail and gets 3HKO'd by Thunderbolt.

Next, we've got another special wallbreaker: Volcanion. The underwater volcano is the team's wincon against Bug and Grass, two foes that are quite annoying in the grand scheme of things. Steam Eruption also spreads burns, whilst Flamethrower offers coverage against any Grass-, Bug-, or Steel-type that tries to pull something sneaky. Defog allows for some good hazard control, and Sludge Bomb (or Wave) is there to deal with Fairy-types that would give Keldeo-Resolute and Crawdaunt a lot of trouble.

Finally, we've got a Gifted Child in Slowking. It has access to a SlowPort (0 Speed EV's ensure a safe switch in alongside a Quiet nature), can buff its defenses with Amnesia, hit Dragon- and Flying-types with Ice Beam or spread more status with Scald, restore its HP with Slack Off, and put pressure on the opponent with a Future Sight. It also can use a much rarer Nasty Plot set. Also, this is the defensive "core" of the team (just me, myself, and I...) which gets switched in when there's an electric type on the field.
I'm not very high-ladder (sad 1211 noises) (also, I just realized I'm 59-91, like what)
Hi, welcome to monotype. Rainless water is an interesting concept, as Water does have enough variety to run a ton of archetypes. However, I'd like to suggest these changes for a better water experience.

Crab is strong. Although it is a bit outclassed by Urshifu-R in breaking stuff apart, I'd leave this guy be as I assume this is what the team is built around.
:golisopod:
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Liquidation ->Leech Life
- First Impression
Liquidation is a bit unecessary on mono water, as it is usually stuffed with Water-type moves. Leech life allows you to prolong Golisopod's longevity, making it much more stronger and threatening in the Psychic, Grass, and Dark matchups.

:rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
You lack Speed control, so I changed Rotom-W's item to scarf, allowing you to outspeed threats like Tornadus-T, Galarian Moltres in a pinch. Trick allows you to cripple a wall like Pex or Amoonguss, as Scarf is less important in the Poison matchup.

However, I'm not too sold on Rotom-W in water, so another option could be this:
:rotom-wash: -> :tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Surf
Tapu fini improves your dragon matchup, and helps you not get screwed by Kyurem.

:keldeo-resolute:->:swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Flip Turn / Toxic
Volcanion + Crab already beats up mono steel, and you need an elec immunity because Slowking usually doesnt cut it. Roar allows you to phaze stuff out, Toxic allows you to cripple incoming Pokemon not fearing Earthquake. It also helps with Toxapex (which is a thing especially if you dont have Rotom-W....) and the poison matchup in general.

:volcanion:
Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Defog
You honestly dont need speed on Volcanion. Sludge Wave is cool but there are very few things that like Water + Fire coverage, so I suggest dropping it for Toxic. Though, if you find Azumarill to be an issue, try this EV spread: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 100 Spe in conjunction with Sludge Bomb. 100 Spe allows you to outspeed 199 speed (Adamant) Azumarill.

:slowking:
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport
You need the HP on Slowking as it lets you not get 2HKO'ed by Subroost Kyurem, and bring in Tapu Fini safely. Ice beam eases the dragon matchup again.

Below is the team with the suggestions I made. I hope you enjoy the team :blobnom:
:crawdaunt: :golisopod: :tapu-fini: :swampert: :volcanion: :slowking:

Last edited:
Damn fish sticks cat beats me by 30 min but I’ll still post what I had written up. It’s VERY close to his and piggy backs nicely.

I personally enjoy Rainless or Semi Rain comps much better than full HO Rain variants so this is a nice looking team. Like I said, my suggestions are nearly identical and maybe a tad preferential based. That being said more perspectives and more ideas can’t hurt in testing. Find what you like and what performs best for yiu

:Crawdaunt:
I would actually change Dragon Dance to Swords Dance here. It would take 2 Dragon Dances to outspeed anything relevant and by that point you’re likely dead. Swords Dance combined with Aqua Jet is plenty of breaking power.
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

:Golisopod:
Leech Life is a great addition but I’d also add some Speed. This helps you to set Spikes faster or pressure slower walls like Clefable.
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Spikes

:Tapu Fini:
To add on to this point, not only does Fini help deal with Kyurem and Dragon but it also covers Dark in a way that Keldeo would have so you aren’t losing out there. The terrain addition also helps to clear against Electric and Psychic while making it easier for Crawdaunt to set up without having to worry about Status.

:Swampert:
Given the makeup of your team and it’s aggressive nature I would recommend both Flip Turn and Roar and not worry about Toxic on Swampert. It’s a momentum loss and Crawdaunt / Fini can break down the slower cores without needing to stall out for Toxic.
Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Flip Turn

:Volcanion:
My opinion differs a bit here. I do agree you don’t need all that Speed, but I again think Toxic isn’t the way to go on this team, especially with Tapu Fini on the team. The only thing that would be relevant to Toxic is Mantine which is destroyed by Crawdaunt already. The coverage vs Fairy is huge pressure that is necessary if you don’t want to lose to Bulu + Koko. I also think the minimal investment in Speed is good to beat Azumarill as it can easily sweep this team.
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog

:Slowking:
I 100% agree with these suggestions. The only change is a minor EV update. Because you’re running HDB, if you use 248 HP EVs that makes your total HP stay divisible by 3 and therefor you get a small bit better recovery from Regenerator.
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Hopefully between the two viewpoints you can find even better results and hit an personal high on ladder. Let us both know how you do!

Revised Team (Click Icons)
:Crawdaunt::Golisopod::Volcanion::Tapu Fini::Swampert::Slowking:

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor

Adamant Nature
Knock Off
Aqua Jet
Crabhammer

Jolly Nature

Spikes
First Impression
Liquidation
Drill Run/Knock Off

Modest Nature
Steam Eruption
Flamethrower
Defog
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave

Modest Nature

Scald/Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Substitute
Calm Mind

Modest Nature
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt

Nasty Plot
Will-o-Wisp

Quiet Nature

Teleport/Amnesia
Ice Beam
/Scald
Future Sight
Slack Off

Hang on, I just realized I put the Rain Water as the Fairy team. I'll change it soon...

Also, thanks for the changes!

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hang on, I just realized I put the Rain Water as the Fairy team. I'll change it soon...

Also, thanks for the changes!
On further testing, I think you do need the speed on Volcanion, Because SD Tapu Bulu (which runs 220ish to 249 speed) does plow through the team. Sorry for the confusion!
Pinging style.css for thoughts on this, it seems to be a scary threat for a team as slow as this :blobnom:

Last edited:
On further testing, I think you do need the speed on Volcanion, Because SD Tapu Bulu (which runs 220ish to 249 speed) does plow through the team. Sorry for the confusion!
Pinging style.css for thoughts on this, it seems to be a scary threat for a team as slow as this :blobnom:
Good spotting. Something like this could work.Puts you a bit above 220s and the creepers.

EVs: 72 HP / 248 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog

Dead by Daylight

is a Pre-Contributor
Damn fish sticks cat beats me by 30 min but I’ll still post what I had written up. It’s VERY close to his and piggy backs nicely.

I personally enjoy Rainless or Semi Rain comps much better than full HO Rain variants so this is a nice looking team. Like I said, my suggestions are nearly identical and maybe a tad preferential based. That being said more perspectives and more ideas can’t hurt in testing. Find what you like and what performs best for yiu

:Crawdaunt:
I would actually change Dragon Dance to Swords Dance here. It would take 2 Dragon Dances to outspeed anything relevant and by that point you’re likely dead. Swords Dance combined with Aqua Jet is plenty of breaking power.
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

:Golisopod:
Leech Life is a great addition but I’d also add some Speed. This helps you to set Spikes faster or pressure slower walls like Clefable.
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Spikes

:Tapu Fini:
To add on to this point, not only does Fini help deal with Kyurem and Dragon but it also covers Dark in a way that Keldeo would have so you aren’t losing out there. The terrain addition also helps to clear against Electric and Psychic while making it easier for Crawdaunt to set up without having to worry about Status.

:Swampert:
Given the makeup of your team and it’s aggressive nature I would recommend both Flip Turn and Roar and not worry about Toxic on Swampert. It’s a momentum loss and Crawdaunt / Fini can break down the slower cores without needing to stall out for Toxic.
Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Flip Turn

:Volcanion:
My opinion differs a bit here. I do agree you don’t need all that Speed, but I again think Toxic isn’t the way to go on this team, especially with Tapu Fini on the team. The only thing that would be relevant to Toxic is Mantine which is destroyed by Crawdaunt already. The coverage vs Fairy is huge pressure that is necessary if you don’t want to lose to Bulu + Koko. I also think the minimal investment in Speed is good to beat Azumarill as it can easily sweep this team.
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog

:Slowking:
I 100% agree with these suggestions. The only change is a minor EV update. Because you’re running HDB, if you use 248 HP EVs that makes your total HP stay divisible by 3 and therefor you get a small bit better recovery from Regenerator.
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Hopefully between the two viewpoints you can find even better results and hit an personal high on ladder. Let us both know how you do!

Revised Team (Click Icons)
:Crawdaunt::Golisopod::Volcanion::Tapu Fini::Swampert::Slowking:
Thanks, guys! The team has fared well in preliminary tests, but I'm struggling in the mirror matches and against Electric (very heavily after Swampert/Slowking's been chipped) and have slid to 1120. Do you by any chance have any suggestions (on how to get better and how to improve the team)?

Thanks, guys! The team has fared well in preliminary tests, but I'm struggling in the mirror matches and against Electric (very heavily after Swampert/Slowking's been chipped) and have slid to 1120. Do you by any chance have any suggestions (on how to get better and how to improve the team)?
In both match ups it’ll be about keeping Spikes up and pressuring to chip everything from the opponent until Crawdaunt can clean up at the end. At the end of the day though we are playing Monotype and we can’t beat everything all the time with a single team. If you’re only struggling in those 2 matchups that’s very good despite what ladder spot you’re in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)