WCoP 2017 - General Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
afrabs logo v2.5.png

Wowwww is there anything artist "Jsaok" can not do if he puts his mind to it? Collect rare "Neon Garchomp Eva Unit 01 Afrabs Logo" he created. Post as avi if you love Jsaok and believe in him when he says he will unite Afrabs and lead them to their first championship in 2017 and is watched over and blessed by "The BasedGod"-Jsaok

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
What are the odds of very unknown players [like me] to get in WCoP? Just wondering, because most people don't even give it a chance. Stupid Monotype Premier League
I will speak realistically to you. There is a zero percent chance at this time to get drafted for WCoP, which is the second hardest team tournament in Smogon to get picked for, by my reckoning. Typically players picked for the two top team tournaments, SPL and WCoP, have had a good deal of success in a specific metagame in a major tournament already - take a look at our other offerings such as OST/ST/GS/Classic etc. Performing well in these tournaments shows to captains (WCoP) and managers (SPL) that you are capable of performing against the best of the best and keeping your cool in high pressure situations. These, along with a good attitude, are keys to being a desirable member of a Smogon team tournament.

Don't be discouraged by not making it into this one or MPL. Believe it or not, there are plenty of now-big-name players who toiled in relative obscurity for some time before breaking out and being acknowledged by the community. The most common path in the tournament world is to start from the bottom - laddering, doing decently in various tours, then the big break is usually getting into the playoffs of a major. This isn't necessarily the way everyone does it and plenty have broken the mold, but I will say for the big majority of people that will participate in this WCoP and next SPL, this has been something close to the path they've taken.

If you want to participate without being a member, what I would recommend is finding the team that you would eventually be on (via IP) and speaking with the captain or some players about helping in any way possible. Team will ALWAYS want scouts, builders, testers, etc. because this is tedious work at times. But if you flip that and make it an opportunity to grow your skills you can potentially integrate yourself with the team while becoming a better player. All in all, you might have a bit of fun just helping out, which is realistically the entire goal of this website.

But yeah I droned on a bit, I'll sum up a little - have fun with the game even if you don't get the success you want right away. The most I've ever enjoyed playing Mons was when I was in near total obscurity, playing building and testing with a few friends and surprising everyone with upsets. If winning big tournaments and making big teams is your goal, you'll definitely be able to get there with enough effort, but remember to enjoy the path along the way.

I will speak realistically to you. There is a zero percent chance at this time to get drafted for WCoP, which is the second hardest team tournament in Smogon to get picked for, by my reckoning. Typically players picked for the two top team tournaments, SPL and WCoP, have had a good deal of success in a specific metagame in a major tournament already - take a look at our other offerings such as OST/ST/GS/Classic etc. Performing well in these tournaments shows to captains (WCoP) and managers (SPL) that you are capable of performing against the best of the best and keeping your cool in high pressure situations. These, along with a good attitude, are keys to being a desirable member of a Smogon team tournament.

Don't be discouraged by not making it into this one or MPL. Believe it or not, there are plenty of now-big-name players who toiled in relative obscurity for some time before breaking out and being acknowledged by the community. The most common path in the tournament world is to start from the bottom - laddering, doing decently in various tours, then the big break is usually getting into the playoffs of a major. This isn't necessarily the way everyone does it and plenty have broken the mold, but I will say for the big majority of people that will participate in this WCoP and next SPL, this has been something close to the path they've taken.

If you want to participate without being a member, what I would recommend is finding the team that you would eventually be on (via IP) and speaking with the captain or some players about helping in any way possible. Team will ALWAYS want scouts, builders, testers, etc. because this is tedious work at times. But if you flip that and make it an opportunity to grow your skills you can potentially integrate yourself with the team while becoming a better player. All in all, you might have a bit of fun just helping out, which is realistically the entire goal of this website.

But yeah I droned on a bit, I'll sum up a little - have fun with the game even if you don't get the success you want right away. The most I've ever enjoyed playing Mons was when I was in near total obscurity, playing building and testing with a few friends and surprising everyone with upsets. If winning big tournaments and making big teams is your goal, you'll definitely be able to get there with enough effort, but remember to enjoy the path along the way.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I got picked up as a sub last year with no tour experience outside going 0-2 in oupl. I think this is probably heavily team dependent. US east might not pick up someone with no tour experience but I know we (Canada) are just looking for subs who are solid players/builders and who will be active. Anyway I think your best bet is always to try out and see what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)