SS OU webs offensive, need some help with it

hello everyone, ive been playing with a webs team for awhile now, and it works great. however, it has some big weaknesses that i would like patch out

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Stun Spore

classic ribombee, throws sticky webs around and spreads paralysis everywhere. it can also threaten mons like garchomp if the opponent starts with that. i usually start off with this mon. biggest weaknesses are melmetal and heatran. although both can be paralyzed. the sash is there to prevent ohko's from stuff like heatran. also this thing does pretty good against lando

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

defog stopper. the enemy trainer will think twice before defogging if this mon it still healthy. i choose a swords dance set over band, because i wanted to be able to use it to sweep if needed. moves and ev's are fairly standard, but i switch between black glasses and leftovers.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

the biggest webs abuser ever. with sheer force and life orb, it deals massive amounts of damage without any boosts. its biggest weakness is its mediocre speed stat, but that gets fixed by the webs. however, even with ice beam lando is pretty scary. i love the amount of coverage moves this thing has. it can even pressure birds!

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

speed control. this mon used to be hydreigon, but then my entire team got walled by blissey. also i needed a rapid spin stopper, and this guy is perfect for that. i have will o wisp to deal with kart and other physical attackers, i am not too sure about sucker punch on this set, so that can be changed. dragon fang is there to empower dd and actually deal damage to volc, who is still a great threat to this team

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

second biggest webs abuser. i do not think i need to explain a lot here. high attack, and swords dance. if i get 1-2 swords dances up and webs i am basically unbeatable. i choose knock off over smart strike because i wasnt getting much use out of it, and leaf blade does enough to clef aready. i just wish this thing had drain punch. keeping it healthy is a pain

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

last webs abuser. moonblast and psyshock deal massive damage, often getting resised ko's without even trying. tbolt is there to deal with birds, and focus blast for heatran. also the rest of the team, especially kart, really like the psykick terrain. to prevent them dying from a mach punch from cronk or something like that

biggest threats:
scarf lando with earthquake: lando doesnt give a shit about the webs, and none of my mons can eat an eq really wel. dragapult can try to with will-o-wisp, but thats it.
volcarona: sets up on ribombee, and ko's like 3 pokemon before i can kill it
clear body dragapult: i really need that speed drop against pult. if lele isnt healthy there is nothing i can do to stop it
also flying types in general are a pain to deal with

sorry for any spelling mistakes, english is not my first language.

so, any thoughts?

I like your team as a felow HO fan, though web or hazard stacking as general have reduced viability this gen because of HDBoots.

Just a minor change for your team :
1) Nidoking :
- thunderbolt -> stealth rock because you don't have any rockers, thunderbolt wasn't provide much coverage beside water (you have kartana) and flying (you have ice beam) and even thunderbolt on tapu lele so its better to change it.

2) Dragapult (major change) :
- Max HP to Max Spe, dragapult as your speed control desperately need speed, HP was useless on this mon because you need its speed when facing many flying, levitating, or boots enemies that cannot be slowed by web
- Dragon Fang -> Life Orb, Dragon fang only increase your darts damage but not sucker puch and other attacking moves
- wisp -> phantom force, you don't need status moves on fast pacing web HO, go all out attacking
- infiltrator -> clear body : you said that have problem with clear body pult, so you know clear body is good ability for physical pult, the most important thing, it blocks intimidate from lando

3) Kartana :
- life orb -> choice scarf
You said that you have problem with scarf lando? you can revenge kill it with scarf kartana.
- swords dance -> smart strike
Its already have giant attack and beast boost, so its no needs for swords dance.

Hope this change can be helpful for you

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there, here to rate your team and give you some advices.

Webs teams tended to be really strong in older gen and especially in ORAS. I must admit, however, that I saw very few of them in SS. It may not be the best playstyle in the current SS OU metagame, but they are still some good abusers in the tier, so it remains a playable playstyle. The main thing that nerfed Webs teams is Heavy-Duty-Boots. Especially, fast pivot with Boots, as they’ll remain faster than most of your abusers and can threaten them or pivot on them. However, as the Sticky Web allows you to play strong breakers, you may be able to easily break the common SS defensive cores so it may have a niche. Looking at your team, I think you’ve understood well the concept of a Webs team. You need a suicide lead to set them up, a Defiant Pokemon to prevent the use of Defog, and strong breakers that have a rather mediocre speed but an incredible kill power. Nevertheless, I think that some of your choices are not optimal and so I’ll review each of your set to propose changes if needed. Keep in mind, however, that there will still be very hard matchups, because as I said it, strong and fast pivots will still be a pain to deal with.

With all that saying, let’s dive into the changes:

Major Changes:

:ribombee: -> :shuckle:: A very important slot in this kind of team: the Sticky Web setter. If we have a look at the viable Web setters, they are 5 of them you may consider using: :ribombee: :shuckle: :araquanid: :galvantula: :slurpuff:. Now the big question: is which one should you use? That’s not an easy question as Sticky teams are quite rare. However, from my point of vu, I think Shuckle :shuckle: may be a bit more efficient here. This is because of its access to both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock and a way to annoy Defoggers with Encore or Final Gambit on the switch, which is something Ribombee can’t do. Shuckle is also a better choice to prevent some setup sweepers from starting to boost themselves while you’re setting Webs. Here is a classic Shuckle set with Mental Herb as an item to avoid being Taunted turn 1 and left without any hazards:

shuckle.gif

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

:dragapult: -> :heatran:: I’m really unsure about Dragapult here. I don’t think it will benefit much from Sticky Web and you’re set is not how you want to use him. You can consider keeping him to have some Speed Control if the Sticky gets removed but if you do so you should just use the classic Choice Specs set (let you check the Smogon Analysis of Dragapult). Something you can also try here is Heatran :heatran:. I think this Pokemon have a niche in Webs team with its Choice Specs set as it is a deadly wallbreaker. It could also help against some Boots mons like Volcarona :volcarona:. Here is the set:

heatran.gif

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Eruption

:bisharp: -> :zapdos-galar:: Bisharp and Zapdos Galar are the two viable Defiant Pokemon you can use to prevent opposing Defog. Zapdos Galar is faster and could be a great answer to Landorus-T :landorus-t: but also to Body Press Corviknight :corviknight: which can Defog on Bisharp and still beat it. Bisharp has the advantage to bring a priority move and a good way to deal with Dragapult :dragapult: but it may be crippled by Psychic terrain. As for Zapdos Galar, you can try to use a Choice Band set (or even a Bulk Up variant if you want). Here is a set you can try:

zapdos-galar.gif

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

+2 252 Atk Choice Band Zapdos-Galar Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 399-469 (99.7 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 285-336 (71.2 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Minor Changes:

:tapu lele:: Choice Specs Tapu lele is indeed a great abuser. A Calm Mind variant could be something to try but the instant boost in power of Choice Specs is probably better. Regarding the move choice, I think you can use Psychic as it is often its more powerful and spammable move. This would mean losing useful coverage move so I’m not completely sure it’s a good change, so I’ll make it as an option and let you see in game if you really need it. Something you should definitively change, however, is the spread. If you want to fully benefit from the Speed drop of Sticky Web, you need to have some Speed investment. I advise you to shift all your HP investment in Speed. A Modest nature could work as you can still outspeed things like Dragapult :dragapult: and Zeraora :zeraora: under Sticky but Timid allows you to outspeed max Speed Landorus-T :landorus-t:. Here would be the set:

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

:nidoking:: Nidoking is also a very good Sticky abuser. Your set is fine, and Thunderbolt is a good choice to punish the very common Slowking. I would only change the nature from Modest to Timid so that you’re still able to outspeed fast threats like Dragapult :dragapult: under Sticky.

:kartana:: Not much to say here, great wincon and good Sticky abuser. Your move choice are fine and yeah Smart Strike is not much needed as Leaf Blade already destroys Clefable :clefable: after a boost.

That’s all for the changes, the team remains slow without Sticky and may have a hard time dealing with fast pivot wearing Boots but I think it’s an issue that Sticky cannot really avoid as you want to use Pokemon with a good wallbreaking power and not Pokemon that are already really fast but lack a bit of power (like Zeraora) in this kind of team.

Anyway, here is the past with all the changes:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Eruption

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Hope this was helpful and gave you some idea to try different things on this team, have a nice day!

Edit: Didn't saw buayagator answer when I was writing mine.

I agree with the first part on Nidoking as Stealth Rock are indeed really helpful in this kind of offense. I rather keep Thunderbolt on him however, as Slowking is its main answer in the meta and so that's why I really think Shuckle would be a great lead.

The second point about Dragapult is also right, you lack Speed Control if you can't keep the Webs up. However, I found Special Dragapult more threatning and harder to switch into in this meta. Specs Heatran is a heat Pokemon, but Dragapult may be a great choice so yeah you can try the team with him instead of Heatran. Clear Body could be an option on a Physical Pult but I still think Infiltrator is better mainly to beat Substitute users (and for a Special set it's even more the best option).

As for Scarf Kartana, I don't think it needs a Choice Scarf because even if it brings a lot of Speed, with the Sticky up, this extra Speed won't be useful and without a boost in power it can't really break through most physical walls.

(Also ty for correcting the typo on Jolly Nido ^^)

Last edited:
Hey there, here to rate your team and give you some advices.

Webs teams tended to be really strong in older gen and especially in ORAS. I must admit, however, that I saw very few of them in SS. It may not be the best playstyle in the current SS OU metagame, but they are still some good abusers in the tier, so it remains a playable playstyle. The main thing that nerfed Webs teams is Heavy-Duty-Boots. Especially, fast pivot with Boots, as they’ll remain faster than most of your abusers and can threaten them or pivot on them. However, as the Sticky Web allows you to play strong breakers, you may be able to easily break the common SS defensive cores so it may have a niche. Looking at your team, I think you’ve understood well the concept of a Webs team. You need a suicide lead to set them up, a Defiant Pokemon to prevent the use of Defog, and strong breakers that have a rather mediocre speed but an incredible kill power. Nevertheless, I think that some of your choices are not optimal and so I’ll review each of your set to propose changes if needed. Keep in mind, however, that there will still be very hard matchups, because as I said it, strong and fast pivots will still be a pain to deal with.

With all that saying, let’s dive into the changes:

Major Changes:

:ribombee: -> :shuckle:: A very important slot in this kind of team: the Sticky Web setter. If we have a look at the viable Web setters, they are 5 of them you may consider using: :ribombee: :shuckle: :araquanid: :galvantula: :slurpuff:. Now the big question: is which one should you use? That’s not an easy question as Sticky teams are quite rare. However, from my point of vu, I think Shuckle :shuckle: may be a bit more efficient here. This is because of its access to both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock and a way to annoy Defoggers with Encore or Final Gambit on the switch, which is something Ribombee can’t do. Shuckle is also a better choice to prevent some setup sweepers from starting to boost themselves while you’re setting Webs. Here is a classic Shuckle set with Mental Herb as an item to avoid being Taunted turn 1 and left without any hazards:

View attachment 342675
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

:dragapult: -> :heatran:: I’m really unsure about Dragapult here. I don’t think it will benefit much from Sticky Web and you’re set is not how you want to use him. You can consider keeping him to have some Speed Control if the Sticky gets removed but if you do so you should just use the classic Choice Specs set (let you check the Smogon Analysis of Dragapult). Something you can also try here is Heatran :heatran:. I think this Pokemon have a niche in Webs team with its Choice Specs set as it is a deadly wallbreaker. It could also help against some Boots mons like Volcarona :volcarona:. Here is the set:

View attachment 342676
Heatran @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Eruption

:bisharp: -> :zapdos-galar:: Bisharp and Zapdos Galar are the two viable Defiant Pokemon you can use to prevent opposing Defog. Zapdos Galar is faster and could be a great answer to Landorus-T :landorus-t: but also to Body Press Corviknight :corviknight: which can Defog on Bisharp and still beat it. Bisharp has the advantage to bring a priority move and a good way to deal with Dragapult :dragapult: but it may be crippled by Psychic terrain. As for Zapdos Galar, you can try to use a Choice Band set (or even a Bulk Up variant if you want). Here is a set you can try:

View attachment 342677
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

+2 252 Atk Choice Band Zapdos-Galar Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 399-469 (99.7 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 285-336 (71.2 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Minor Changes:

:tapu lele:: Choice Specs Tapu lele is indeed a great abuser. A Calm Mind variant could be something to try but the instant boost in power of Choice Specs is probably better. Regarding the move choice, I think you can use Psychic as it is often its more powerful and spammable move. This would mean losing useful coverage move so I’m not completely sure it’s a good change, so I’ll make it as an option and let you see in game if you really need it. Something you should definitively change, however, is the spread. If you want to fully benefit from the Speed drop of Sticky Web, you need to have some Speed investment. I advise you to shift all your HP investment in Speed. A Modest nature could work as you can still outspeed things like Dragapult :dragapult: and Zeraora :zeraora: under Sticky but Timid allows you to outspeed max Speed Landorus-T :landorus-t:. Here would be the set:

View attachment 342678
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

:nidoking:: Nidoking is also a very good Sticky abuser. Your set is fine, and Thunderbolt is a good choice to punish the very common Slowking. I would only change the nature from Modest to Jolly so that you’re still able to outspeed fast threats like Dragapult :dragapult: under Sticky.

:kartana:: Not much to say here, great wincon and good Sticky abuser. Your move choice are fine and yeah Smart Strike is not much needed as Leaf Blade already destroys Clefable :clefable: after a boost.

That’s all for the changes, the team remains slow without Sticky and may have a hard time dealing with fast pivot wearing Boots but I think it’s an issue that Sticky cannot really avoid as you want to use Pokemon with a good wallbreaking power and not Pokemon that are already really fast but lack a bit of power (like Zeraora) in this kind of team.

Anyway, here is the past with all the changes:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Eruption

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Hope this was helpful and gave you some idea to try different things on this team, have a nice day!
wow you rate is far better than mine, change from dragapult to heatran was very interesting choice, I also think gapdos is better defiant user than because his team is pretty weak to ground, good works

but I think your mistyped changed nature for nidoking from modest to timid, not jolly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)