☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Zero: The Choices We Face

☠☠☠☠
We got that smooth motor
Strong shoulders
You better come closer

We'll knock shit over

☠☠☠☠

This team was born on quite a weird situation. I wanted to join Iron Chef, a project from my friend Indigo Plateau that required a Pokémon low in the Viability Rankings. There was also a request on Teambuilding Workshop for a Hydreigon team so I decided to combine both requests and this team was created. It draws some influence from OLT qualifying teams with Hydreigon, but I tried to add my own twist to it!

Hydreigon was obviously the starting pick as I wanted my team to be based around it. An offensive switch-in to Heatran, Ash-Greninja, and Reuniclus is obviously very helpful when it comes to teambuilding.

I immediately realized how good of a partner Mega Scizor would be, considering it takes on threatening Psychic-types Hydreigon fails to cover, like Mega Latios and Mega Alakazam, while also being a blanket check to most physical attackers and pressuring Fairy-types that could annoy Hydreigon like Tapu Bulu and Clefable.

Heatran finalizes this Psychic-resistant core by being the obligatory Tapu Lele switch-in and somewhat covering thanks to Toxic. Nonetheless, Heatran is still an outstanding setter of Stealth Rock while still pressuring Stall with Magma Storm, Earth Power, and Toxic.

Tangrowth gives a reliable Regenerator pivot, being a secondary switch-in to the likes of Kartana and Zygarde, not to let Mega Scizor get overwhelmed. It also takes on the likes of Tapu Koko and most offensive Water-types reasonably well. Knock Off support is also greatly appreciated.

Choice Scarf Landorus-T can clean up or alleviate the strain put on the team's walls by being a reliable Intimidate pivot. Also soft checking several physical attackers in general if needed. Just a reliable glue really, but it also acts a Volt Switch immunity, putting a break on opposing Tapu Koko.

Speaking of Tapu Koko, it not only acts as a reliable Defogger but also an offensive check to the likes of Gyarados and Hawlucha, big threats otherwise. Tapu Koko also provides some extra Speed aside from Landorus-T.
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter One: Looking Back

☠☠☠☠
I'm a silver screen
I'm a weird machine
Don't you worry 'bout me

☠☠☠☠

@ Assault Vest @
# Regenerator #
252 HP EVs | 28 Def EVs | 228 +SpD EVs | -Spe
- Grass Knot -
- Earthquake -
- Knock Off -

- Hidden Power [Fire] -

Tangrowth acts as a check to Electric- and Water-types, such as Tapu Koko, Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Manaphy, and several others. It can also double as a Kartana or Zygarde check if Mega Scizor gets overwhelmed. Knock Off, in general, is a really helpful move as well, while its coverage hits Pokémon it checks, with the exception of Earthquake which can punish incoming Heatran. Between Assault Vest and Regenerator, it can keep itself healthy and make up for its measly Special Defense stat. Grass Knot plus Hidden Power Fire lets it threaten Zygarde and Kartana simultaneously while Earthquake is nice to pressure the likes of Heatran and Tapu Koko.

+1 252+ Atk Zygarde Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 342-403 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Two: The First Wish

☠☠☠☠
Back in nowhere-town
I was not allowed
To be what I wanna be

☠☠☠☠

@ Darkinium Z @
# Levitate #
0 -Atk IVs | 244 +SpA EVs | 32 SpD EVs | 232 Spe EVs
- Dark Pulse -
- Earth Power -
- Flash Cannon -
- Roost -

Hydreigon is the centerpiece of the team, it has a great defensive typing, letting it handle the likes of Heatran, Ash-Greninja, and Reuniclus while still packing quite a Punch with Black Hope Eclipse, capable of threatening several unprepared defensive cores. The Roost variant is preferred to keep it healthy, Earth Power lets it threaten Heatran whereas Flash Cannon pressures Clefable and Tapu Bulu on the switch in, even having a pretty good shot of knocking the former out with two hits.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 32 SpD Hydreigon: 120-142 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
232 Spe Hydreigon vs. 252 Spe Zygarde -- Outspeed

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Three: Taking Flight

☠☠☠☠
So winter to spring, I opened my wings
I learned to surf the breeze
Took awhile but now I'm free

☠☠☠☠

@ Scizorite @
# Technician #
248 HP EVs | 16 +Def EVs | -SpA | 244 SpD EVs
- Bullet Punch -
- U-turn -
- Curse -

- Roost -

Mega Scizor is not only the blanket check to several of the tier’s physical attackers, such as Zygarde and Weavile, but it also checks Paychic types that can overcome Heatran, such as Mega Alakazam and Mega Latios, with the added Special Defense. Curse enables it to be a deadly set up sweeper but U-turn is preferred over Knock Off to better handle the core of Magnezone plus one of the aforementioned Psychic-types, and to give the team more momentum, as well.

252+ SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Scizor-Mega: 143-169 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Four: Limbo

☠☠☠☠
Give me gasoline
I'm a weird machine
Turning gears into a dream

☠☠☠☠

@ Leftovers @
# Flash Fire #
248 HP EVs | 0 -Atk IVs | 132 +SpD EVs | 128 Spe EVs
- Magma Storm -
- Earth Power -
- Stealth Rock -

- Taunt -

Heatran compressed several roles, being a Stealth Rock setter and a special wall, it is also quite tough to switch into, between Toxic and Lava Plume, screwing up most of its would-be answers. It is also the team’s safety net against Tapu Lele, Mega Mawile, and even Volcarona, as it can Toxic the latter to play around it. Lava Plume is preferred over Magma Storm to punish incoming physical attackers and because I don’t find it as effective without Taunt, speaking of which, Toxic over Taunt lets it screw over Mega Alakazam and other Pokémon that would potentially like to come in for free.

128 Spe Heatran vs. 252 Spe Tyranitar -- Outspeed
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Five: Step By Step

☠☠☠☠
I'm a silver screen
I'm a weird machine
Don't you worry 'bout me

☠☠☠☠

@ Choice Scarf @
# Intimidate #
252 Atk EVs | 4 Def EVs | -SpA | 252 +Spe EVs
- Earthquake -
- Explosion -
- Stone Edge -

- U-turn -

Choice Scarf Landorus-T is an effective form of role compression as well, juggling Speed, Power, and Bulk. Without the need to check Zygarde, it can give up the typical Defensive scarf investment to be more of an offensive threat while keeping defensive scarf’s merit. I wouldn’t recommend this spread elsewhere though, unless you do have plenty of outs against Zygarde. Stone Edge lets me not autolose to Mega Pinsir whereas Explosion lets Landorus-T take something down with it, considering Hidden Power Ice really isn’t all that necessary.

252+ Spe Choice Scarf Landorus-T vs. 252+ Spe Choice Scarf Landorus-T -- Tie
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Six: Turn Around

☠☠☠☠
Buzzing energy
Shaky circuitry
Still it's working for me

☠☠☠☠

@ Shuca Berry @
# Electric Surge #
20 HP EVs | 1 -Atk IVs | 252 SpA EVs | 20 SpD EVs | 216 +Spe EVs
- Thunderbolt -
- Hidden Power [Ice] -
- Roost -

- Defog -

Finally, Tapu Koko gives some bonus Speed to the team aside from Landorus-T not to mention that it is a reliable Defogger. Shuca may seem odd at first considering how the team handles Zygarde and Landorus-T pretty well, but it actually lets Tapu Koko beat Gyarados. Speaking of Tapu Koko’s Defensive merits, it is also the team’s Hawlucha check, which really shouldn’t be slept on. Hidden Power Ice was picked over U-turn because since Tapu Koko has Shuca Berry, might as well run the move, in case one of these Ground-type does get a bit out of control, and even then, offensive Landorus-T is still a bit of a threat.

252 SpA Latios-Mega Psychic vs. 20 HP / 20 SpD Tapu Koko: 211-250 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
216 +Spe Tapu Koko vs. 252+ Spe Weavile -- Outspeed

☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Chapter Seven: Weird Machine

☠☠☠☠
They can try to shut us down
But we will turn that switch back on
We're not here to fuck around

The future's our phenomenon

☠☠☠☠

So, overall, I had a lot of fun with this team, and while it does have its fair share of weaknesses, there's nothing that can't really be played around. I believe it's quite a solid squad, and I really you agree with me here.

That being said, I have a couple shoutouts to do! Please don’t bitch about the order, it’s partially ordered on who I remembered first, and I decided to group people together as like RMT people, DOU people, GP people, etc. Also I’m really sorry if you’re not here, there’s way too many amazing people here and I don’t have the time to write a paragraph for every single one. If you’re reading this though I’m already a big fan :)

curiosity You're by far one of my best friends on this site. I feel like we really have a lot in common, be it surfing, Reuniclus, Leftovers Tapu Koko, or anything like that. You've been a really level-headed mate ever since you joined, including that "incredible" trademark font and a humble spirit. I really appreciate all your work for this site, mate, hopefully, you'll get your very own "real badge" soon! The Raichu is a stoked surfer, by the way, just like us!

allstarapology Big fan. This perfectly sums up my thoughts about you. Big fan of how nice of a user you are, big fan of how responsible and competent you are, all in all, I'm nothing but an enormous vast immense great massive colossal prodigious gigantic gargantuan mammoth monumental giant towering elephantine mountainous monstrous titanic epic herculean brobdingnagian whopping humongous hulking astronomical cosmic ginourmous fan!

yogi Hi there yogi, aka yogaybears, rwby, bitch boi etc. You've been an excellent tutor and friend to talk with and, trust me, I really don't mind the fact that you call me nerd every other sentence, I think I'm quite used to it already. Anyways thanks for tutoring me in PU, while I did give up on the tier you definitely did help me improve my battling considerably. Send regards to northumbreonland, BWAHAHAHAHA!

Leo Even though you're more often than not annoying me with stuff like "btw what's the consensus on mentioning [redacted] in [redacted]", you're still one of the nicest people to talk to on this website, having a friend from LA is already nice and all, but when you do your Leo type of thing it really puts a smile to my face, thanks a lot, amigo.

GMars You're probably one of the most level-headed users on this site, always there if needed, and boasting supernatural and definitely-not-googled Brazilian history knowledge. You're always passing me some heat squads so feel free to take this team back as thanks for all that. Hope you can do well with a team without Minior.

Finchinator You're by far one of the users I respect the most on this website, you're always a nice presence sparking quality metagame discussion everywhere I see you, be it OU or NU and taking care of demanding projects such as moderating and hosting the Viability Rankings. You've always been so nice to me, as well as several new users, and you're really a user I look up to on this site. :finchgasm:

TPP Remember when you tagged me in your RMT? Well, I'm getting close to catching up in terms of badges, watch out! But that aside, I really appreciate our 6AM for me, 4AM for you talks, specially considering I have already slept and woke up and you're still awake. You're an extremely nice and approachable user and I really appreciate the invite to that Discord. If you're wondering about the Hoothoot, well, it has Insomnia just like you!

Indigo Plateau Iron Chef was half the reasoning behind this team even being made in the first place, so thanks a for the project, I had a blast participating on it. All in all, you're a very nice user, though, always level-headed and competent and, of course, keeping that massive tournament monopoly that I really look up to.

Jordy Since we joined about the same time, I'm still happy of our growth on Smogon while taking some of that competition into account, race for badges, likes etc. And while I don't take these seriously, you seem to do a little so I'm rooting for you to get some more badges and possibly catch up to me. You're often a nice dude to talk with and it really impresses me how mature you are brother, keep it up!

Nuked You also joined a little after I did, and I'm really happy with your contributions towards OU, UU, and NU. You're a really hardworking user and I'm glad its paying off, from our random long Discord conversations to the simple and to the point "lyd go check Mega Mawile" you're a really nice person to talk to and I'm glad I got to be friends with you through this site.

sed You probably hate this Pokémon as much as I do, but it just goes to show my appreciation towards you helping me test teams so much. You're always there on PS! when I need to test some new stuff and you're always really nice with me. I hope we can build some teams around shitty Pokémon again, because not gonna lie, it's quite fun when we get to do that. By the way, you also agree with me that Modest drei is better, so thats a good thing lol.

ABR I don’t know you as well as some people on this list, but you’re by far one of the users I look up to the most: not only are you arguably the best OU player, but you’re also an excellent tier leader. You’re always nice to me on qc channel and even helped me find better profile pics, thanks a lot for that!

Eternam You’re also a user I really look up to, you’re a great player and always willing to contribute with stuff like teambuilding workshop, quality control, and ou projects. In case you’re wondering about Tyranitar, whenever I think of you Scarf Tyranitar comes to my mind, lol, take that as a symbol of your great teambuilding skills!

Colonel M Thanks for all the work in C&C, you’ve always been so nice to me inspiring me to get better at the game as well as writing analysis. It’s a bit unfortunate that you left before I became QC, but you’re still a nice presence in OU C&C server. As for Noibat, it represents Pokétunes, which was legitimately one of my favorite articles on TFP ever, and I’m glad I’m able to continue this series started by you and Rakan!

Gary You’ve always been exactly what your CT says, but behind that mean persona I know there’s a really nice Gary deep within. You’re a really funny and nice dude to talk to and I really appreciate all the work you’ve put to OU in general. Get tagged btw :boii:

Gross Sweep You’re a really nice dude to talk despite your complete lack of humor hahaha. You’re often in crew or rmt place and I promise I’ll rate more often in the future.

Anish Your Pokémon is Mega Metagross because of that one shitty rate you did to my shitty team early SM that really actually helped it flourish, so thanks a lot for that. You’ve always been a dedicated rater and nice friend in general so thanks for everything!

Simia Even though I should learn French and rate more often, you're a really nice user that I look up to. You’re very dedicated and I’m really happy for the rewards you’re getting on this site, only three more for a scroller I guess! By the way, I still remember how the way we met on this site wasn’t all that nice, with me making someone of a bad call as a tournament host, but I’m glad we got to be friends now!

Wob You’re not as active as you used to be, but you’re still a really nice mate to talk to when you’re around. You’ve been a really helpful contributor as well, so I really look up to you in that regard. Not to mention you have probably the best music taste of all people on this site!

IronBullet By far the best bot I’ve known, you still gotta teach me how to use the command to ban yogi, but no rush with that. You’ve always been a really nice user and I really appreciate all the contributions you do to this site, between tier leading RMT and B101 to the random talks on Discord you’re truly the goat.

Eien One of the nicest people to talk to on Discord, you’re always there making conversations fun and trying to sell people into playing Monotype. With the frequency we talk you’ll probably convince me eventually, but other than that you’re a really nice and helpful dude so thanks for everything. Suicune is there cuz it’s when you reminded me you do GPs.

Chloe You’ve always been a nice user to me ever since you’ve joined that Discord. And now I’m on your PS! room so expect me to get more active there when my exams are done. I’m just a big fan really, thanks for everything.

banks You’re a really nice user and I hope we can talk more often now that I’m planning to get more involved with NU. Xatu is like the Pokémon I use on NU the most so there’s that.

roman Even though your vocabulary consists of lol, wig, and being bad at geography, you’re a really nice person to talk to. I miss the Pet Mod days lol, send regards to Romancist.

martha Yeet! You’re a really nice person to talk to as well, a great moderator to TFP and I’m really glad I got know you a little better from there. By the way, when is the next badge coming, miss GPTL :eyes:?

Luna Olá Luna! Grande ventilador! Você é uma excelente líder do projeto de traduções portuguesas e eu fico feliz em saber que tem outro espírito-santense nesse site.

Mitsuki Você também é um ótimo líder e eu prometo que eu vou me dedicar mais às traduções depois do enem.

Perry Apesar de suas tentativas tirânicas de tentar dominar meu estado que, por sinal, é melhor que o seu, você é uma ótima presença no Discord e um puta tour host. Valeu por tudo amigo.

Cretacerus Vielen Dank for helping me out with art and for the random Discord talks. You’re a really nice friend but I hope my country can get a revenge on that 7-1 someday!

TMan87 Vos articles sont incroyables! I really loved the Pokécosmogony (hence the Arceus above) one and and the Shedinja triples one was a nice read too. It’s been a pleasure to collaborate with you on Pokétunes and Pokébiology, happy afternoon!

A Cake Wearing A Hat Fireflame479 lotiasite Thanks a lot for all the GPs recently, same can be said to other GP members above. You guys are all nice in your own ways and I really appreciate the eventual conversations we have.

GenOne Level 51 n10sit talkingtree Z strats I know you guys think I’m probably shit in DOU, but I really appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from you guys so far, be it QC checks, hosting helpful projects for newcomers, or even eventually Discord conversations. Special thanks to 51 and tree for hosting that puzzle hunt, I really did love it.

3017 LL patlop2307 Ske Mask The Slump God So Noisy Qplaz vso All of you are really nice people and thanks for being around in Discord so often. Big fan of all of you ^^. As for the Serperior, I don’t really know, but it reminds me of Crew for some reason.
☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)