SV OU What the Don Doing? (Donphan + Kingambit BO)

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Okay ladys and gentlement, i want to show the world a nice time that i built and i made it from -1000000 to 1000, yaaaay
Today we have a Donphan team, the idea of this team is to have Donphans unique traits and use it as a viable spinner in OU, I know that at first glance Donphan seems outclassed by its past and present forms, both being :Great Tusk: and :Iron treads: but let me asure you that Donphan has cool tricks too

1. He has less atack than great tusk but more than iron threads
  2. has the same HP and defense as iron threads
  3. has more special defense than tusk, but less than threads
  4. Its the only one of the three with Ice shard (priority) meaning he has the easiest matchup of the three agaisnt air baloon Gholdengo and doesnt need to invest in speed with this trick
  5. it has sturdy, meaning as long as rocks or chip damage are not up, he will never be OHKO
  6. his pure ground typing, while not the best defensevly, is not weak to fairy and Psychic like tusk, and its not neutral to fire and weak to fighting and ground like threads

With all of this, and a bit of optimization, let me show you the star of the team

:Donphan:
Donphan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard

This is the set that makes donphan shine the brightest, with this spread you get max spedef + AV, the HP and defense is for the stealth rock damage % (i didnt know this was a more complex thing), heres some calcs against Public Enemy number 1 in OU, Gholdengo

4 Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 18-21 (4.7 - 5.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
4 Atk Donphan Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 114-136 (30.1 - 35.9%) -- 47.1% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 264-312 (69.8 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Donphan: 288-339 (75 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (everything 2 hit ko tho)

4 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 264-312 (83.5 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 18-21 (5.6 - 6.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
4 Atk Donphan Knock Off vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 114-136 (36 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Donphan: 144-171 (37.5 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (focus blast and shadow ball 4HKO)

Now that I justified Donphan´s role (at least in my eyes), i needed some teammates to make a team, i decided to make a BO because im too afraid of HO, and Balance is not that good right now, so lets see the rest of the teammates

:Kingambit:
Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch

I wanted to try Kingambit because it has a ton of fun qualitys, dark/steel means Grimm is now scared of him, that sucker punch really hurts, so i asked for some spreads and techs and this is what is came up with, 140 Spe allows me to outspeed Corviknight, Brick Break, while a meme move at first, it lets me just undo the grimmsnarl screens game play, the 116 SpDef is basically to help on that department a bit, black glasses alongside tera dark really hurts alot

:Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Garchomp is next as a Bulky tank rocker, tera ghost allows me to block spins if necessary, dragon tail lets me keep the ball going, and rough skin + rocky helmet its the ultimate Maushold counter lmao, one thing i have to clarify is Fire fang instead of spikes, my reasoning is that i wasnt clicking them very often, Fire fang allows me to fish for burns and gets me a better matchup against Corviknight and Orthworm, who would otherwise wall me untill the end of time

:Chi-Yu:
Chi-Yu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

Little chinese nuke over here rounds up the offensive core and its the least bulky mon of the team, but he is a nuke, i dont think i need you to explain him at all, he just clicks moves, i went with Flamethrower over Fire blast for the accuaracy, Psyquick to hit Clodsire for a comfy amount of damage, and tera water for the matchup fishing, he is literally a fish, scarf lets me outspeed a ton of things and its more than enough speed control, one thing to be carefull is that hazards make him explode, so Donphan has to take care of them first before you get him, Chi Yu is a cleaner/on the back sweeper for "oh shit" emergencys

:Sylveon:
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball

I love Sylveon, with no Clef around, Sylveon is one of the best clerics avaliable, Wish passing is important in this team because Donphan gets in wars with Clodsire, Gholdengo, Garchomp and Glimmora alot, therefore, Toxic and heavy chip damage is gonna fly alot, Chi-Yu loves it, because it has a way easier time hitting the field, and the rest of the team likes it anyways, as for the spread, 12 speed allows me to outspeed no speed Ttar, a Grimmsnarl who wants to attack and other sylveons, Shadow Ball is for Skeleridge, its a easy 1v1 if you play it right, Fire tera is for surprise bait stells thinking im free, but I only use it on Sylveon on small ocassions

:Dondozo:
Dondozo @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Dondozo is amazing, I love this little fat fish like you wouldn´t belive, this is the best Roaring Moon counter in the game no cap, and Body press with this much Def is just an easy win button, its my phisical wall, Sylveon is my special wall and Donphan is a mix wall/spinner, Rocky Helmet is better than leftis on my opinion since im not gonna rest too much on the course of the battle so its alright

Counters for the team:
None, 0, nada this is literally the best team of all time

But for real this time, even though I have experimented with the team, the meta its still in a bit of misscontrol, plus most of the time I lost because im bad and not because the matchup is bad, despite this, i got some trouble makers spotted

:Breloom: is a big problem, with proper prediction, he just Oofs the teams with Mach Punch + Bullet Seed

:Iron Thorns: I swear everytime i try to make a team, this guy appears only once, 6-0 me and never appears untill i forget about him, has coverage for anything and 1 DD its kinda gg

Conclussion and poke paste:
This was a fun team to do, i hope you people enjoy it and comment, the last RMT i made was a total failure in the ratings and i wanna see if this captures the eye better, and if somebody sees a counter to the team that i didnt registred, please, comment on it
:Donphan: :Chi-Yu: :Garchomp: :Kingambit: :Sylveon: :Dondozo:
https://pokepast.es/9c57a92a7e5d37e7

Last edited:
I’m gonna ladder with this for a bit and share my thoughts so I’ll edit this soon

don’t lose hope! keep posting heat rmts

EDIT: (gonna pump out a quick rate because I’m tired af right now)

for one thing the team is super fun to play :)

major changes

(no fancy sprites cuz I’m tired I’ll edit them in tmr)

Corviknight > Donphan (this is a very very optional change, because the whole team is centered around donphan so I’m not gonna force you to take that away) the whole team gets chunked by eqs so I wanted a ground immunity that could still remove hazards, corv was good because it also offered a slow u-turn for the team to get its offensive mons in. It also helps you beat the big bad breloom

Corviknight @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Ground (up to the user)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Body Press
- Defog

minor changes

tera blast > shadow ball on Sylveon you said that you used shadow ball to conter skeledirge but you already have two offensive checks to it in Kingambit (sucker / kleave) and Chi-Yu (dark pulse) Tera blast can be helpful in a pinch if you need to clean up some steels.

Overall

shnice team, keep building!!! these rmts are a highlight of my day when they pop in my feed :)

(if I think of any other changes I’ll edit them in tmr)

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I’m gonna ladder with this for a bit and share my thoughts so I’ll edit this soon

major changes

Corviknight > Donphan (this is a very very optional change, because the whole team is centered around donphan so I’m not gonna force you to take that away) the whole team gets chunked by eqs so I wanted a ground immunity that could still remove hazards, corv was good because it also offered a slow u-turn for the team to get its offensive mons in

[SPOILER="Corv set (again optional)]
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Body Press
- Defog
[/SPOILER]

minor changes

tera blast > shadow ball on Sylveon you said that you used shadow ball to conter skeledirge but you already have to offensive checks to it in Kingambit and Chi-Yu. Tera blast can be helpful in a pinch if you need to clean up some steels.

Overall

shnice team, keep building!!! these rmts are a highlight of my day when they pop in my feed :)

aww, thanks a lot for the suggestions man and you took your time, you really think this is heat? :,3

aww, thanks a lot for the suggestions man and you took your time, you really think this is heat? :,3
definite heat, and if you ever wanna collab or just need some teambuilding advice, pm me. I’m lurking on this site like every day ^_^

major changes

Corviknight > Donphan (this is a very very optional change, because the whole team is centered around donphan so I’m not gonna force you to take that away) the whole team gets chunked by eqs so I wanted a ground immunity that could still remove hazards, corv was good because it also offered a slow u-turn for the team to get its offensive mons in

Corviknight @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Body Press
- Defog

minor changes

tera blast > shadow ball on Sylveon you said that you used shadow ball to conter skeledirge but you already have to offensive checks to it in Kingambit and Chi-Yu. Tera blast can be helpful in a pinch if you need to clean up some steels.

Overall

could you post repalays

could you post repalays
only if you spell replays right :blobnom:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737486264
(short since op forfeits but shows how to play around amoonguss by evaluating which mon is least useful and letting that get spored. as well as how to beat roaring moon)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737498572
(donphan hard carried this game, the actual goat lmao, also shows the benefits of terablast on sylveon)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737502565
(me getting my ass handed to me by breloom for a little bit, you kinda just have to sack something for chip or somehow get chi-yu in)

Last edited:
only if you spell replays right :blobnom:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737486264
(short since op forfeits but shows how to play around amoonguss by evaluating which mon is least useful and letting that get spored. as well as how to beat roaring moon)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737498572
(donphan hard carried this game, the actual goat lmao, also shows the benefits of terablast on sylveon)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737502565
(me getting my ass handed to me by breloom for a little bit, you kinda just have to sack something for chip or somehow get chi-yu in)
oh, didn`t see that lol

i have some replays as well to show and tell :D

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1735461467
(win against some HO)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1737562058-7h33qyh69kk5dolj60dato30nl9koavpw (Garga is kind of a problem)

i also noticed that you fancy use SD chomp, tell me more about the changes you did :blobnom:
oh yeah completely forgot about that lol, I just I changed fire fang to sd (kept the evs the same) because I felt all the the things fire fang hit chi-yu’s flamethrower hit as well, chomp can clean games once checks are removed

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey 1LDK,

I saw you post this RMT a couple of days ago so I'll give some suggestions because you're the homie.

Threats: I do see Espartha being a threat to this team as soon as Kingambit goes down please, keep in mind to keep Kingambit alive as long as possible when you see it on team preview. I could also see Breloom (Technican) being problematic but manageable if handled right (Especially with Chomp).

Recommendations:

Donphan is very cool, and used in UU a lot right now so there's definitely viability there. I like the set the only thing I would change is the Tera, I don't see Normal Tera doing much at all especially from a defensive perspective I suggestion switching to Water type tera because of the defensive capabilities.

Kingambit, even though you outspeed Corviknight you cannot do much to stop it, it will keep roosting since you do not have Taunt / Swords Dance. I recommend based on this set Brick Break can't do too much but since you're talking about breaking screens exclusively I don't think it's worth it over Swords Dance, and I think it would make Kingambit scarier as a potential sweeper.

Garchomp still gets walled by Corviknight even if you have Fire Fang because it will only do this much damage
0 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 90-106 (22.5 - 26.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same worth Orthoworm, I think if those are your 2 concerns it might be best to go with a mixed set and have Fire Blast / Flamethrower instead which will do more damage to both since their physically defensive. Fire Blast 2HKOs Orthoworm if no special defensive EVs invested. You can change your nature and give more special attacking EVs if you really want to give Corviknight a problem.

Sylveon, looks good I just disagree going with Tera Type Fire since it's a weak tera type for defensive standards and you have no Fire moves. It would probably be best going for Steel (Tera Type) since it takes care of Poison attacks and Steel attacks very well. Yawn might be better than Shadow Ball based on play style because whatever switches in to counter might have to switch out so sleep is not induced.

For Chi-Yu I would go with Ruination instead of Tera Blast just to do as much damage to any special defensive wall like Blissey or Chansey. I do not know how often you're using Tera Blast on Chi-Yu and if you do end up switching it I would recommend changing your Tera Type to Dark so Dark Pulse can hit harder and go for the potential clean up if you needed that extra power.

For Dondozo the only small change I would recommend is changing the Tera Type to Electric so you can counter Breloom and Iron Thorns which can be issues to this team.

Good luck to this team!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
because you're the homie.
thanks man, i love you too :,3 :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom: :blobnom:
as for tera mons, Fire Sylveon is something I use once a blue moon, so its not really that necesarry but thanks
as for chi yu, i tera him a lot for the garganacl matchup, other chi yus, and mons that i can kill if I tera

in the games ive played, at least i feel that the orden for tera usually is like

>Chi Yu
>Chomp
>Gambit
>Donphan
>Sylveon
>dondozo

I have never clicked tera on donzo in my life, but seems like a cool idea to tera electric to save me from loom
Ill take everyones idea, and thanks for taking your time man, i hope you like this team, your the besst

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)