When is the pandemic over?

The short answer is that one of the mainstream political factions in the United States is embracing authoritarianism (and more specifically, fascism), which by necessity requires government to torment civilians and leave them in a constant perception of helplessness. Policy and social programs surrounding Covid-19 are antithetical to this goal, so to the fascist it is necessary to both remove existing regulations AND target dissidents, as Ron DeSantis and Brian Kemp are currently doing. Officials and educators enforcing mask mandates, or daring to teach American history beyond the Tiananmen-esque program approved by apparatchiks of the Communist Party of China GOP think tank will face professional repercussions. Any institution that does not comply with the party programme will be defunded. In the People's Republic of China, this was already a reality for educators concerning atrocities like the 1989 massacres in Tiananmen Square, now it's being replicated in the GOP's own censorious war on history.

This is what happens when a mainstream faction is disloyal to the constitutional order, and that faction attains power.
While I fail to see what COVID-19 policy has to do with history in this post, I do believe you're entirely misinformed on who's covering up history. The United States has been very open in teaching it's past atrocities, a big few being slavery, our treatment of Native Americans, the legitimacy of the Spanish-American War or the Mexican-American War, and so on. Compare that to a country like China, who still claims an Island that's been having their own elections and minding their own business for 70 years, hides their atrocities, such as Mao's Great Leap Forward or as you mentioned, Tiananmen Square, from their people, and oh yea, is currently committing genocide against a religious minority. I'd say we've even done better teaching our mistakes to the future generations than Britain or Japan, both of which fail to acknowledge their many war crimes, especially during the Second World War.

I also think you've failed to notice that every single electable institution on the Federal level is current held by the left side of the isle, who is honestly far more fascist and authoritarian, at least the loud part of it is. It's the left side of the isle constantly begging for censorship of anything they disagree with, regardless of how correct or incorrect it is. While I'm not fond of listening to people screaming that "masks are the devils tools" or that "vaccines are made by the illuminati to install chips in everyone", I'd honestly rather let people have the ability to say dumb stuff like that than constantly have to beg big daddy government to say a string of words. Cancel culture in the US falls into this category, too, being that a lot of the United State's entertainment industry and popular media, and companies in general, are relatively left-leaning in policy and presentation, and celebrities, also being very liberal and or leftist, constantly participate and call on others to "cancel" someone or something for an action or previous spoken word that they don't like. Last time I checked, and I have checked very recently being a history fanatic, and especially with the term "fascism" flying around like the USS Enterprise's 96 aircraft, censorship and trying to remove outlier viewpoints is extremely fascist and authoritarian. While I disagree with firing people for putting mask mandates in place, I would check under your own bed for Fascism before looking out the window for it.

While I fail to see what COVID-19 policy has to do with history in this post, I do believe you're entirely misinformed on who's covering up history. The United States has been very open in teaching it's past atrocities, a big few being slavery, our treatment of Native Americans, the legitimacy of the Spanish-American War or the Mexican-American War, and so on. Compare that to a country like China, who still claims an Island that's been having their own elections and minding their own business for 70 years, hides their atrocities, such as Mao's Great Leap Forward or as you mentioned, Tiananmen Square, from their people, and oh yea, is currently committing genocide against a religious minority. I'd say we've even done better teaching our mistakes to the future generations than Britain or Japan, both of which fail to acknowledge their many war crimes, especially during the Second World War.

I also think you've failed to notice that every single electable institution on the Federal level is current held by the left side of the isle, who is honestly far more fascist and authoritarian, at least the loud part of it is. It's the left side of the isle constantly begging for censorship of anything they disagree with, regardless of how correct or incorrect it is. While I'm not fond of listening to people screaming that "masks are the devils tools" or that "vaccines are made by the illuminati to install chips in everyone", I'd honestly rather let people have the ability to say dumb stuff like that than constantly have to beg big daddy government to say a string of words. Cancel culture in the US falls into this category, too, being that a lot of the United State's entertainment industry and popular media, and companies in general, are relatively left-leaning in policy and presentation, and celebrities, also being very liberal and or leftist, constantly participate and call on others to "cancel" someone or something for an action or previous spoken word that they don't like. Last time I checked, and I have checked very recently being a history fanatic, and especially with the term "fascism" flying around like the USS Enterprise's 96 aircraft, censorship and trying to remove outlier viewpoints is extremely fascist and authoritarian. While I disagree with firing people for putting mask mandates in place, I would check under your own bed for Fascism before looking out the window for it.
The United States as a whole has absolutely not been forthcoming in educating its citizens on past atrocities. It has now gotten to the point that one party has actively taken up censoring curricula as part of a partisan agenda. This includes books on segregationists, content on MLK and the Klan, and mentioning Jim Crow laws during a time when the same censors are seeking to instate arbitrary, partisan voting restrictions disproportionately targeting African American voters. Listing off mainland atrocities doesn't justify the Republican Party's efforts to mimic Chinese-style censorship. Do you know what post-1989 education was called? "Patriotic Education," the exact term the Republican Party has embraced for its own totalitarian programme. It's the exact same bullshit with states dominated by the ex-KGB (or in the case of Belarus, the "old" KGB) whitewashing Stalin's crimes against the Soviet peoples. Something tells me though that you'd have a lot less of an issue with statues of Stalin or Lenin going down in former Warsaw Pact states than you would with traitor Robert E. Lee, a man responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans in defence of both one of history's worst atrocities, and an autocratic state devoted to continuing that very atrocity.

Vague accusations of "the Left" and "liberals" censoring "opposing viewpoints" are not meaningful. What viewpoints are being censored? Are they being censored, or are you mad that fringe viewpoints are not being entertained in classrooms? There are concrete examples of Republican Party officials actively censoring curricula on a partisan basis, in addition to levying public threats to punish officials that are not compliant with the ideological programme. There's also a difference between censorship and refusing to lend one's own credibility to batshit extremists. The idea that Republican governments should intervene in universities' decisions for whom should be allowed to hold seminars with university resources is completely contrary to any good faith interpretation of freedom of expression (or in your case, the First Amendment). What you call "cancel culture," the rest of the world calls "not wanting to associate with stupid assholes that cannot be reasoned with." This goes back to what I said in the freeing cold takes thread about American "conservatives" wanting a permanent exemption to social consequence on an ideological basis. Terrorists involved in attacking your own legislature and smearing shit all over the walls are spun into "victims" of law enforcement, but people protesting exactly as Dr. King did is not only illegal but an encouraged target of vehicular homicide. In Canada, we have a right to free association (analogous rights have been read into the First Amendment). "Cancel culture" is a buzzphrase loaded with the metapolitical intent to devalue that right, used by a movement that seeks government mandates for Approved ideologues to be given whatever resources they need to proselytize the Republican Party programme.

I study authoritarian movements (including modern ones). "Fascist" is an accurate descriptor for an ultranationalist party seeking constant states of exemption dispensed at will by the party, but whose policy positions are entirely dependent on the contemporary cultural context of the party's movement. It is also an accurate descriptor for an ultranationalist dedicated to a cult of hero worship that believes The Party (their own) to be exempt from the law. It takes a profound lack of self-awareness to say "The Left" is "more fascist," and then claim that "fascism" is being misused by "the Left." This sort of hypocrisy is a rhetorical tactic deployed by people acting in bad faith, pre-emptively accusing people of what one is responsible of as a means of avoiding criticism. Fascism is an ultranationalist ideology, so unless you are prepared to explain why "The Left" is actually ultranationalistic, people are going to either assume: 1) You have no idea what you are talking about, but insist on talking anyways; or 2) You are intentionally lying.

The United States as a whole has absolutely not been forthcoming in educating its citizens on past atrocities. It has now gotten to the point that one party has actively taken up censoring curricula as part of a partisan agenda. This includes books on segregationists, content on MLK and the Klan, and mentioning Jim Crow laws during a time when the same censors are seeking to instate arbitrary, partisan voting restrictions disproportionately targeting African American voters. Listing off mainland atrocities doesn't justify the Republican Party's efforts to mimic Chinese-style censorship. Do you know what post-1989 education was called? "Patriotic Education," the exact term the Republican Party has embraced for its own totalitarian programme. It's the exact same bullshit with states dominated by the ex-KGB (or in the case of Belarus, the "old" KGB) whitewashing Stalin's crimes against the Soviet peoples. Something tells me though that you'd have a lot less of an issue with statues of Stalin or Lenin going down in former Warsaw Pact states than you would with traitor Robert E. Lee, a man responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans in defence of both one of history's worst atrocities, and an autocratic state devoted to continuing that very atrocity.

Vague accusations of "the Left" and "liberals" censoring "opposing viewpoints" are not meaningful. What viewpoints are being censored? Are they being censored, or are you mad that fringe viewpoints are not being entertained in classrooms? There are concrete examples of Republican Party officials actively censoring curricula on a partisan basis, in addition to levying public threats to punish officials that are not compliant with the ideological programme. There's also a difference between censorship and refusing to lend one's own credibility to batshit extremists. The idea that Republican governments should intervene in universities' decisions for whom should be allowed to hold seminars with university resources is completely contrary to any good faith interpretation of freedom of expression (or in your case, the First Amendment). What you call "cancel culture," the rest of the world calls "not wanting to associate with stupid assholes that cannot be reasoned with." This goes back to what I said in the freeing cold takes thread about American "conservatives" wanting a permanent exemption to social consequence on an ideological basis. Terrorists involved in attacking your own legislature and smearing shit all over the walls are spun into "victims" of law enforcement, but people protesting exactly as Dr. King did is not only illegal but an encouraged target of vehicular homicide. In Canada, we have a right to free association (analogous rights have been read into the First Amendment). "Cancel culture" is a buzzphrase loaded with the metapolitical intent to devalue that right, used by a movement that seeks government mandates for Approved ideologues to be given whatever resources they need to proselytize the Republican Party programme.

I study authoritarian movements (including modern ones). "Fascist" is an accurate descriptor for an ultranationalist party seeking constant states of exemption dispensed at will by the party, but whose policy positions are entirely dependent on the contemporary cultural context of the party's movement. It is also an accurate descriptor for an ultranationalist dedicated to a cult of hero worship that believes The Party (their own) to be exempt from the law. It takes a profound lack of self-awareness to say "The Left" is "more fascist," and then claim that "fascism" is being misused by "the Left." This sort of hypocrisy is a rhetorical tactic deployed by people acting in bad faith, pre-emptively accusing people of what one is responsible of as a means of avoiding criticism. Fascism is an ultranationalist ideology, so unless you are prepared to explain why "The Left" is actually ultranationalistic, people are going to either assume: 1) You have no idea what you are talking about, but insist on talking anyways; or 2) You are intentionally lying.
First of all, thanks for all the Haha reacts on my previous posts! I gotta get my reaction score up somehow!

While it's unfortunate you've mistaken me for some random backwoods Alabamian who does nothing but worship the failed rebellion of the traitors during the Civil War and MAGA hats, that is not the case as your mannerisms suggests. While I suppose it could be directed at what you think is either incorrect or "lying", I don't think you're getting the full story. I don't mean any hostility, I'm simply here for conversation and not personal attacks. I hate authoritarianism and fascism in all forms, as I have several family friends from Ukraine during the Soviet era, friends who's parents have escaped from Castro's Cuba, and have engaged with people that have been subjected to the CCP's disgusting treatment of it's people. I love studying history, as those who do not know it are bound to be subject to it again. I'm going to try and break this response into a couple different sections based on topic.

Your first paragraph is referencing to the bills passed by Texas and Florida in response to the rise of CRT, I assume (Critical Race Theory, which I figure you know, but I wanted to expand the acronym for those who don't know what it is.) I don't agree with the phrasing of these laws, as whether unintentionally or intentionally, this allows stuff like you mentioned to be quietly removed, which with I do not agree. However, being I am me and not them, I don't know their intentions, and can only voice my discontent with such phrasing and actions. If it were me writing these, I would certainly have written these bills different. I am in no means supportive of any type of censorship from any side of the isle, and crimes and atrocities are still crimes and atrocities, regardless of who committed them or when they happened. Regardless, what's law is law and likely to not be repealed, especially by foreign complaining and even by citizens of other states complaining. If that were the case, the disaster of the State of California would be a whole lot different.

Your idea of "Partisan voting restrictions that disproportionately target African American voters" I assume is reference to the voting ID issue, which shouldn't be an issue at all because you literally need ID to do anything else, so why is this a problem and suddenly racist? I don't know why everyone is so hell bent on opposing this, but it's honestly more racist to assume African American voters can't get a hold of ID when all you have to do is go to basically any government office and they'll issue you one. I don't think the election was stolen, but voter ID does increase the integrity of the elections from here on, especially with increasing probable foreign interference from Russia and China.

I would like to quote you saying this: "The United States as a whole has absolutely not been forthcoming in educating its citizens on past atrocities." and then quote you saying this: "Listing off mainland atrocities doesn't justify...", as the fact that I as an American know about all of these atrocities and more, such as Japanese-American internment, the Iran-Contra scandal, Watergate, and so on, are direct evidence against your former statement that the US has not been fourth-coming. Again, I ask to compare that to someone like Turkey, or even your home country of Canada.

I never once said the left is nationalistic, if anything, the far left is extremely anti-nationalistic, to the point of hating their own country. I will 100% backtrack, as my use of the term "Fascism" was misplaced. Instead, replace my uses of that in my prior post with Authoritarianism/Authoritarianist, and hopefully it should make a little bit more sense. I apologize for the misuse of the word, and appreciate the clarification.

Moving on, this phrase caught my attention: "people protesting exactly as Dr. King did is not only illegal but an encouraged target of vehicular homicide." I assume this is in reference to the bills in Tennessee and Oklahoma providing legal protection for hitting protesters blocking the road. In particular, this was a response to the 2020 riots across the country after the unjust killing of George Floyd. Let me remind you that these were in fact riots, not protests, as last time I checked, "peaceful protests" didn't leave a property destruction bill of over $1 Billion USD. For all of you that use Euros, that's around €851,600,000. While that's not nearly as much as natural disasters usually cost Insurance Companies, that's still ridiculous for what everyone claims to be "Peaceful Protests". People have been attacked on the road by these rioters with bricks and so on, so these bills in response to this are 100% justified. Now while there will certainly be abuse of these laws, the Jury will decide on an individual case basis, as the US court system is built to do.

Moving on to your statue point, while Robert E. Lee was technically somewhat of a war hero from the Mexican-American War, the cons of fighting for the Confederates far outweigh whatever good he did in his military career, thus I'm fine with statues of him and other Confederate generals going. The only reason they have statues anyways is because the Ex-Confederate South wrote a huge portion of the history books, allowing them to frame their generals as heroes and build statues of them, whereas actual heroes, such as Ulysses S. Grant, get portrayed as drunken butchers.

I disagree with, like I have stated several times up to this point, I don't support censorship, or as you like to differentiate for some reason, "refusing to lend one's own credibility to batshit extremists." Shutting someone up for something you disagree with is censorship, no matter how stupid or "dangerous" whatever dumb thing people are saying this week. Perhaps you and other foreigners define that differently, but its 2 legs of the same beast to us moderate Americans. I know I give off the impression that I'm heavily Right-leaning due to previous posts and above statements, but I assure you, there are several things that I agree with the American Left on, such as Climate change issues, and am in the middle, like 80% of actual Americans are. The middle ground hasn't disappeared, it's just that we have no room to talk because all of the loud extremists on both sides won't shut the fuck up. Now I find myself having to bat for the American Right on a Pokémon website because everyone else either can't formulate a response or is fortunate enough to possess the ability to ignore straight inaccuracies and move on with their lives.

Continuing on, I believe America's number one problem is that we keep forgetting that 80% of us aren't fucking stupid one way or another and we keep listening to these far right and far left idiots who can't see past their own self saviorism. I mean for Pete's sake, we've been listening to these idiots so long, we've gone full circle back to segregated schools. That's right, some dumbass principle has segregated an elementary school and is getting rightfully sued the fuck out of. On top of that, we have some of these idiots from other countries trying to tell us that dumb shit will work when history has shown time and time again that it won't. It makes me sick to my stomach when anyone supports Authoritarianism or Fascism or Communism or Socialism because it's a direct spit in the face of all of those who have suffered from any of these ideologies, and anyone who knowingly condones the actions of ANY of these groups disgusts me.

Like I said, I apologize for my misuse of Fascism when I meant Authoritarianism. If one side is Fascist, then the other's Authoritarian. Neither side have the answer, and no one seems to realize this, and we end up with people trying to attack one side for something the other side is just as guilty of.
Regardless, I would rather live in a free country like the US where people can say disgusting things in favor of these all they want, but the majority get to decide at the end of the day. Anyone who thinks that we're doing it wrong that's not from America gets no say, as if they're from Europe, they should consider their own issues first. Without the United States and our way of life, you all would be stuck under the thumb of the Third Reich, or dominated by a world full of Imperialistic Germany and Austria-Hungary. As far as everywhere else is concerned, I would seriously look at the plank in your country's eye before trying to take the spec out of America's. The United States is land of the Free and home of the Brave, and may we fall on our sword before we let ourselves be shut by the mouth of censorship.

If I failed to address any of your points, or if you have legitimate questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. I hope you have a good rest of your day.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
does every single thread/discussion on the internet need to turn into an "i hate china" disclaimer. i know smogon is very much imbued with internet culture but man no matter what thread i go to it's constant anti-ccp stuff or china memes. it's like a dick measuring contest over who can be the most anti-ccp. a good thread about how ridiculous china hate is on sites like reddit

However, being I am me and not them, I don't know their intentions, and can only voice my discontent with such phrasing and actions. If it were me writing these, I would certainly have written these bills different. I am in no means supportive of any type of censorship from any side of the isle, and crimes and atrocities are still crimes and atrocities, regardless of who committed them or when they happened. Regardless, what's law is law and likely to not be repealed, especially by foreign complaining and even by citizens of other states complaining. If that were the case, the disaster of the State of California would be a whole lot different.
well, i'm not them either. but i think their intentions are pretty clear. god i hate censorship so much and it disgusts me when anybody surrenders to these ideologies....but the law is the law. then you deflect about california for some reason because you've been trained like a dog to shoehorn that talking point in wherever you possibly can to "own the libs." isn't california the crown jewel of american industry, capitalism, and technology? people like you should be celebrating the economic achievements of its industry given the state's unparalleled economic success, and innovation in tech. so is the dream of capitalism and competition.

this is not me defending california, because there isn't much the state needs defending from, nor do i care to defend what i don't believe in. i'm just pointing out the bizarre fascination with pointing out failing states by conservatives as a sort of gotcha moment without understanding the mechanisms behind their decay (only in certain areas, mind you) and general incoherence of their positions. a couple years ago it was homelessness, now its...what exactly? not like these issues genuinely interest anybody beyond a fleeting talking-point-high, but they're repeated ad nauseam.

I would like to quote you saying this: "The United States as a whole has absolutely not been forthcoming in educating its citizens on past atrocities." and then quote you saying this: "Listing off mainland atrocities doesn't justify...", as the fact that I as an American know about all of these atrocities and more, such as Japanese-American internment, the Iran-Contra scandal, Watergate, and so on, are direct evidence against your former statement that the US has not been fourth-coming. Again, I ask to compare that to someone like Turkey, or even your home country of Canada.
the united states has not been forthcoming with its atrocities. the fact that you would list watergate amongst internment or iran-contra is in its own right absurd. there is, however, no point of systematically listing every "bad thing" the united states has done, as not only would that be an impossible task, but a bulleted list would not get the point across to you anyway. even though many of these events are now well-known, they are dwarfed by those that are either unknown, or 'known' and actively justified by the population. the iraq war is perhaps the greatest example of the latter case. a two-decade long incursion on the middle east which has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths, displacements, and further radicalization and subdued development of the countries' impacted. however, this most transparent tragedy is likely not going to be included in your, or anybody else's list. there are numerous examples of these, but of course they are reframed from tragedies/massacres/intentional acts to misjudgments or accidents.

one needs only to do a basic surveying of history to come to the conclusion that we are not forthcoming about our active involvement in historical tragedies. how did america start? where have the natives gone? how did we rise to such hegemonic power in such a short span of time? why have we intervened in nearly every latin american, middle eastern, and east asian country over the past century? what has been the state of domestic minorities? as a student of history, you should likely be aware of some of these events already. you should also be aware that many are routinely justified through your own logic of "we are allowed to speak about it, thus we are forgiven for it (and freer for it)," and its constant partner "they weren't that bad anyway." to understand the extent of what we have actually done, you need to go beyond the highlighted words and phrases like the trail of tears, iran-contra, etc. and instead ask the question: how did it come to this, and why? a spontaneous massacre is more forgivable than a systematic one.

the classical deflection of "what about xyz country!" is even more vapid when not only does the same principle apply to them, but their atrocities are dwarfed tenfold by our own. you said it yourself, we are americans, so we should care deeply about our country's actions, and not pass judgement on others...

Anyone who thinks that we're doing it wrong that's not from America gets no say, as if they're from Europe, they should consider their own issues first. Without the United States and our way of life, you all would be stuck under the thumb of the Third Reich, or dominated by a world full of Imperialistic Germany and Austria-Hungary.
i will admit that most states in europe are not as impacted by the bad things america does globally, in fact most of them likely benefit from it given our extensive ties to finance and industry over there. the rest of the world doesn't get that luxury. god bless the united states for freeing the world from nazism (which is in itself a misconception), now were get to replace it with another age of exploitation and dominance. people always point to ww2 as the greatest achievement in american history, as if it washes away everything else we have ever done, and to say to the world, "even if we re not the best rulers, at least we aren't the nazis!" what type of likeness is that?

you should read literature from the rest of the world about how we are perceived. of course, you would likely retreat to the same rhetorical pivot of them being better off than if the nazis ruled the world, or something.

Continuing on, I believe America's number one problem is that we keep forgetting that 80% of us aren't fucking stupid one way or another and we keep listening to these far right and far left idiots who can't see past their own self saviorism.
as a student of history, you should know these problems don't come out of nowhere. people didn't wake up one day and decide to be radical, and to be honest, returning to moderate politics is essentially impossible given the current state of america not just domestically, but globally.

It makes me sick to my stomach when anyone supports Authoritarianism or Fascism or Communism or Socialism because it's a direct spit in the face of all of those who have suffered from any of these ideologies, and anyone who knowingly condones the actions of ANY of these groups disgusts me.
this point is too long to get into on a forum post. but it serves to show that nobody on this forum knows anything about any of the above political ideologies beyond lumping them all together out of ignorance and incoherence. this isn't even specifically directed at you, but the general inability for most users on this forum to consider authoritarianism as an ""ideology"" which plainly reveals itself, has a specific discernible mode, and constantly negative pressure. if you want, you can msg me on discord pdc#8482 and i'd be willing to keep talking about it.

Last edited:
It makes me sick to my stomach when anyone supports Authoritarianism or Fascism or Communism or Socialism because it's a direct spit in the face of all of those who have suffered from any of these ideologies, and anyone who knowingly condones the actions of ANY of these groups disgusts me.
I want to tunnel vision on this point because I'm stupid and 17 but I have things to say. While I probably share the same (or at least very similar) opinion with you of the Soviets and China and most other authoritarian left nations, I don't think this applies to places like Bolivia and especially Sankara's Burkina Faso.

Capitalism is literally not working right now. I imagine it's working out fantastically for you as well as myself because the two of us have time to have political discourse on a god fucking damn competitive Pokemon forum, but is not working for the Chinese child laborer who made our PCs for pennies, or the middle east countries who have been gangbanged by western powers for decades now for their oil, or the socialist Latin American nations who were overthrown by the CIA-backed coups that displaced leftist power as soon as it threatened capitalist interests, or the people in our own country who make minimum wage while the boss smokes cigars in the office. There was a pizza shop in Ohio that distributed a days worth of profits to its employees and the wage that the employees would have gotten had they not been sapped for their surplus labor was six times more than their bosses chosen wage for them. We have seen the largest upwards transfer of wealth in the history of the nation as the upper class has siphoned more wealth than anyone would ever need. The money and means to end world hunger, poverty, homelessness, most problems you can think of, is in the hands of the eight richest people on the planet, and at any moment they could decide they want to, but actively wake up every day and choose not to.

Supporting capitalism is a spit in the face to those dying right now. I think your misunderstanding is of the practical application of the theoretical socialism and communism. I'm an anarchist, so neither of these necessarily appeal to me because I think that government and the existence of countries is inherently bad itself, but communism is by definition classless, moneyless, and STATEless. The fault of the Soviets and China and whatever "what about __" is that they fail to recognize that capitalism and socialism are inherently incompatible as capitalism will not simply allow the flow of capital to stop in any given nation, hence the overthrowing or killing of Thomas Sankara, Evo Morales, the sheer disgust of the Banana Republic interests.

We are reaping the benefits of hundreds of years of western exploitation of the developing world.

___

It won't end. The virus will mutate many more times in the coming years and the current vaccinations will have their efficacy weakened, if not rendered completely obsolete. It is likely that we will be dealing with it in some capacity for years. Most people who refuse to get vaccinated believe in their immune systems all the way up until the day they're hospitalized. A friend of mine's parents work in a hospital where I live in good ole rural America and he says that many times they will have a hyper-conservative ICU patient who beg to get the vaccine on their death bed and passes away with only brief minutes of self awareness and introspection. American exceptionalism and hyper-egoism will prevent this virus from ending in this country and I think there will be many a wave with many a variant. As much as I would love to be proven wrong, enough of the population worldwide and domestically has distrust in science to keep this virus active in some regard.

People still confuse socialism with communism? Or think socialism is bad?
Isn't that a bit... American?
I'm not confusing one with the other, I dislike both. While in theory, Communism (Or as it's called specifically, Marxism or Leninism) is another thing, but the put-in-practice Communism (applied by the USSR, China, Vietnam, Cuba and so on) is what I refer to when I say Communism. Socialism tends to be the name that these Marxist-Leninist countries use, which is why I dislike "that" Socialism.

Actual Socialism I'm still personally not a fan of due to my belief that it won't work for the US as well as it has for places like Sweden or Norway, although a part of me is convinced that Sweden's success is partial due to the US paying for half it's military. To be fair to Sweden, the US pays for a good chunk of basically all of our NATO allies' militaries for some reason, giving the European nations much more room for social spending. In fact, up until 2020, the United States was singled handedly paying roughly 22% of the NATO defense budget, whereas most NATO countries were budgeting around less than 2%. However, a deal was signed in 2014 to where NATO members need to up that number to 2% minimum, which is still a work in progress for some countries. This fact alone is a huge part of why we cannot afford huge social programs in the US: we're too busy covering everyone else's ass to cover our own. We're literally suffering from success.

I'm not going to try and defend Capitalism as the best system in the world. It's exploited people just as much as every other system has. There will never be a perfect system, realistically speaking. No person is without mistake, therefore no system is without mistake. In the meanwhile, I think Capitalism the best system for the US, with some adjustments here and there, because no system will ever be perfect, and with the right limitations (removing child labor, establishing base pay for unskilled labor that's not like 2$ a month, anti-trust, etc.), it can work pretty well for other places as well. For example, let's compare Communist China to Britain-owned Hong Kong in 1960, 1980, and 2000. All aboard, we're back on the I-hate-the-CCP-train. In 1960, under Mao, China's life expectancy was 43.72 years, compared to Hong Kong's 66.96 years. In 1980, 2 years after China started adopting Capitalist policies, China's life expectancy sat at 66.84 years, and Hong Kong sat at 74.67 years, again a notable difference. Looking 20 years further into 2000, China's life expectancy was 71.40 years and Hong Kong's was 80.88 years. The standard of life in a capitalist model compared to something else is just so notably better, it's hard to assume any current or past system is able to surpass it. Obviously, exploitation appears in all systems, as unfortunately, human nature tends to exploit, no matter who you are.

On the note of China, I think China's culture and history are interesting. However, I think the Chinese Government's ongoing genocide of Uyghur Muslims and other religious minorities is not cool. I also don't think threatening your neighboring countries with invasion, especially an island that's been hold democratic elections for a long time, is cool. Therefore, I hate the Chinese Government (The CCP) and not the Chinese People. If that's a problem for anyone, I seriously ask you to reconsider your point of view.

I specifically nag on California not entirely for the whole state (though I think the taxes a bit pricey). The natural terrain of California is amazing, but unfortunately, the cities of California are what really bother me. It's easier to just call the group of cities, who's population outweigh the vote on everything compared to the rest of California, California itself. I mean, the Homelessness problem is not a thing of the past, it's definitely still a thing. Oh, and should I mention the literal human feces you can find just about around every corner in places like San Francisco. Unfortunately, the "Rag on location" is shifting from California, where dumb stuff like that was relatively confined to, to just big cities in general. City crime rates have skyrocketed after the whole "Defund the Police" arc, and these cities are just covered with garbage EVERYWHERE. I could start outside any big city's city limits and find trash within the first minute. For people so bent on caring for the environment, this is sure a weird way to do it. It's honestly disheartening that these cities are a big part of the US' representation to the world, because what was once American urban beauty is now just disappointment.

Moving on to the atrocities point, I will admit that I have no idea why Watergate ended up on that list, lmao. What atrocity happened? Did poor Nixon's wire-tapping scheme get interrupted? Jokes aside, I think you all are missing my point. Naturally the US is going to try and hide things because that's what every country does. However, we're one of the most up-front about the just awful stuff we've done. While acknowledging these horrible things does nothing to fix them, like you said, us Americans knowing so much about them due to our education about it can help prevent stuff like that from ever happening again in the future. That's the point of history: It's already happened! There's nothing we can do to undo awful stuff like Native American relocation or Slavery, it's in the past. What's important is moving forward from our mistakes. That's my whole problem with the stupid slavery reparations thing: People that support it are so stuck in the past that they can't train their eyes to move forward. We should all be able to agree that these mistakes were awful things, so let's move on. So back to my original point: The US in comparison to the rest of the world, has been fourth-coming with her mistakes, and even though the government hides some (because all governments hide stuff), we sure know a lot more about our history than probably anyone else, including the horrible things we did. I'm not going to ever use "It wasn't that bad" because 99% of the stuff we did had major blowback. Again, I am not a fan of US interventionism unless we absolutely have to! If there's a war between say Russia and the EU for Russia invading Ukraine, they can figure it out. Not the United State's problem. Country becoming Communist? Good luck to them, but not the United States' problem. The only war after WW2 during the Cold War I can justify is the Korean Conflict, as the area the United States was supposed to help rebuild and eventually send on its own was invaded, and we aren't gonna sit there and let that happen when it's under our temporary watch. But Vietnam? We shouldn't have been there. South Vietnam was corrupt beyond belief, and while I in no way support what was North Vietnam and now is just Vietnam as a whole has done to it's citizens, South Vietnam's corrupt officials had it coming.

I honestly think everyone cares too much of what everyone thinks of them. I mean that as a whole broad statement, but in particular, some people care way too much about what the rest of the world thinks of the United States. Saving Europe's and the Pacific's Ass in WW2 doesn't free us from our past mistakes, you're right. However, that's when we established ourselves as a world superpower, and started doing everything for everyone. That was one of our worst foreign policy choices of the last 70 years. It's one thing to help rebuild and renew where things were destroyed, but we ended up being the world babysitter, and that's left us in the position we're in. Most of us don't want to be "rulers". While obviously we want to participate in the world, it shouldn't be the United States problem to play big brother to everyone. America's greatest achievement was her success as a nation after separating from GB. The American experiment, a democratic, free nation, cornered by the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, still being around after almost 250 years, through trial and tribulation, when others expected our little experiment to fall apart within the hour of her birth is her greatest success. There's no denying that we made mistakes back then, those were the times and normal things which we now understand to be horrible and incredibly wrong, and we have since improved on them. It saddens me that American citizens hate this country with a passion for mistakes that everyone else is just as guilty of, especially when America has given so much for a lot of them. However, before I get hit with the incoming "The poor/diseased/destroyed by the system was given nothing by America" comment, there are solutions: For the poor, we have opportunity to work and move up, even if its just little by little, its equal chances for everyone to make something of themselves. For the diseased and disabled, we can work towards taking care of them, and it would certainly be easier if we didn't have to play World Police every 5 minutes.

Now I'm not saying the World is at fault for our problems and America is completely immune from any fault. No, things like the removal of the Native Americans was completely unjustified and had nothing to do with other countries. That's all on the US. However, everything wrong in the world is not our fault, and everyone should start being a lot more accountable for their actions, including the US with it's current endeavors. And while we did royally screw up South America during the 1960's, the abuse of the developing world was mainly Europe's fault. Europe took advantage of Africa and Central America during the Colonial Age, far into the end of the Second World War, where a condition of the US helping was that Britain and France release their colonies (which they only released a few. India, Then-French-Indochina, and others still had to fight for their independence). So when people point the finger at the Imperialists/Colonists, take your finger and slap it right between Asia, Africa, and the Atlantic Ocean.

Moving on, one statement that was made in a post further up "the law is the law". I find this statement to be a little concerning, as some laws are unjust and need to be repealed. Jim Crow laws were laws but does that justify them? No. Just because it's the law doesn't mean it's correct. Firing superintendents for establishing mask mandates is stupid. Allowing people to steal because they're poor is stupid. For Pete's sake, the United States' founding wouldn't have happened if we had all just followed the unjust law. Maybe the King should've been more responsible with the money he already had and we wouldn't have had cause to separate. What's unjust is unjust, and no amount of County, State, or Federal code will be able to change it being unjust.

I have to disagree with the idea that radicalization due to circumstance is irreversible. It's perfectly capable to have return to being moderate, it just takes time and effort. Germany is a prime example of this, as I assure you today that the German people are not the Nazi's from the 1930s and 1940s who were radicalized by their horrible leading party. People just need to stop being so idealist about every single thing and start compromising to make a better future for ALL of us. Not just one group of people, not just one other group of people. All of us. There's unfortunately a huge difference from what should happen and what has happened, and we can only work with what has happened and make the best of it.

PDC I appreciate you giving your discord out, and I would love to chat sometimes! I hope we can have some interesting and engaging discussions, even though I imagine we stand on differing viewpoints on several matters.

-----

As far as the COVID discussion is concerned, I honestly agree with the point that COVID will just become part of our lives from now on, and it probably won't go away. That being said, I think we should treat it like the flu, especially if it keeps mutating, as there's no way to get a vaccine for every single mutant and variant. Unfortunately, people still die from the flu and people will still die from COVID, even if people are all fully vaccinated. If people want to get Flu shots for whatever round of the Flu it is this year, good for them. If they don't, that's their issue. It should be the same with the COVID vaccines. Thankfully, the majority of people have already vaccinated, so we have ongoing herd immunity developing anyways. We've been dealing with worse stuff like a Drug epidemic and HIV, AIDS, Ebola, etc. but this is the stumbling block? Don't get me wrong, after having COVID 3 times, I'm not underestimating it's potential, but at the end of the day, we will never completely eliminate diseases. Something new will always appear or mutate. So let's stop locking the door and turning on the nightlight to keep the big bad disease away, and go back to getting ourselves back together.

On a positive note, the Pandemic did show that some businesses can work better at home, which might be better for mental health, so at least that's a win throughout all the chaos and confusion!

As usual, if anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to respond! I hope everyone has a good rest of their day/night/evening/morning!

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sickist thanks for the reply, and i'm open to talking about this stuff any time. i have been lacking a lot of irl political discussion due to work lately, so i have been more active with it online.

Socialism tends to be the name that these Marxist-Leninist countries use, which is why I dislike "that" Socialism.
i'll start here. i am not going to bore you with definitions of socialism/communism, as i am sure you have looked those up before. what you are referring to by "that" socialism is marxist-leninism, i.e. the derivative of socialism practiced in many revolutions from 1910-1960s across the globe, and the only form of socialism (authentic) which has genuinely seen great success. socialism by definition is a transition period towards communism, which is attainable once class antagonisms, and the state (not the government, those two terms are often confused) recedes.

Actual Socialism I'm still personally not a fan of due to my belief that it won't work for the US as well as it has for places like Sweden or Norway, although a part of me is convinced that Sweden's success is partial due to the US paying for half it's military. To be fair to Sweden, the US pays for a good chunk of basically all of our NATO allies' militaries for some reason, giving the European nations much more room for social spending.
if you have looked up the definitions of socialism/communism, then you should be able to recognize that sweden, along with other nordic model countries, are indeed not socialist, nor are they attempting to carve out a path towards socialism. erroneously termed the "middle path," the nordic model does not in any form attempt to attain socialism, merely to reroute the surplus of capitalism back inward, instead of entirely remaining in the hands of private capital through means of high taxation and cooperative social funding. socialism, in a short summary, is completely distinct from the capitalist mode of production in its erasure (again, transition period, so it is not complete) of extraction of surplus value from the workers. these private industries you see in sweden, denmark, etc. would not exist in the form you see them now. merely pooling resources through mutual funds extracted from labor value does not equate to socialism; otherwise, if taxation if socialist, then the united states, the uk, etc. are all socialist havens. socialism's theoretical element dies out, and becomes a mere construction of tax rates and mathematics. clearly, this is not what the ussr, china, or other socialist countries attempted. if they had been merely another iteration of the nordic model, or state fed capitalism, then we would not have even had a cold war -- they would have been ideologically integrated into our model.

your first mistake lies in not actually knowing what socialism is beyond the colloquial phrasing of it as "sharing" and "equality." neither of these qualities are absent from socialism, but they do not form the cornerstone of what socialism is, in fact they are quite irrelevant to it. from here, you need to learn not only about what socialism/communism is, but what defines capitalism if you wish to move further. i would suggest reading the seminal texts of economic theorists during the age of dual revolution, mainly excerpts from smith, ricardo, and later on people like marx. if you actually read these texts, you will quickly understand what these systems are, and their intertwined historical relationship. oddly enough, marx's labor theory of value rather heavily borrows from ricardo's, with distinctions precisely being in regard to the historical temporarily of its application.

I'm not going to try and defend Capitalism as the best system in the world. It's exploited people just as much as every other system has. There will never be a perfect system, realistically speaking.For example, let's compare Communist China to Britain-owned Hong Kong in 1960, 1980, and 2000. All aboard, we're back on the I-hate-the-CCP-train. In 1960, under Mao, China's life expectancy was 43.72 years, compared to Hong Kong's 66.96 years. In 1980, 2 years after China started adopting Capitalist policies, China's life expectancy sat at 66.84 years, and Hong Kong sat at 74.67 years, again a notable difference. Looking 20 years further into 2000, China's life expectancy was 71.40 years and Hong Kong's was 80.88 years.

On the note of China, I think China's culture and history are interesting. However, I think the Chinese Government's ongoing genocide of Uyghur Muslims and other religious minorities is not cool. I also don't think threatening your neighboring countries with invasion, especially an island that's been hold democratic elections for a long time, is cool. Therefore, I hate the Chinese Government (The CCP) and not the Chinese People. If that's a problem for anyone, I seriously ask you to reconsider your point of view.
i am glad that you brought up some historically relevant statistics of china, however, assuming they are accurate, they do not tell the full picture of china's history. previous to mao, china had a life expectancy far below even what it was in the 1960s. hong kong, a captured british territory as a result of the opium war, had exceeded both life expectancies greatly. this development, of course, is obvious. what your analysis crudely omits is that china was not only brutally imperialized by britain in the centuries prior, which effectively neutered its development through war and other brutal tactics, but also carved out specific enclaves within captured territories which, of course, reflected a life expectancy closer to the "developed" world. capitalism is a stage past what china was -- a feudal state. peasants are not known for living long fruitful lives, especially when their regime is being toiled with through war, a flood of drugs, and multiple reactionary movements brought from external sources. perhaps, hong kong was only so successful precisely because it suppressed and extracted development from elsewhere....

by your logic, you must also applaud the incredible, record breaking ascension of life expectancy in china from that period onwards. if socialism as a system is so prone to failure, then how, under extreme external and internal pressures, did the life expectancy of china begin, and continue, to rise at an unbelievable pace? as of yet, socialism has not failed within china. if anything, it has been one of the most successful stories in all of human history to uplift a nation of billions out of feudal poverty into industrialized heights, and without capitalism at the helm no less. i believe you could likely find similar statistics for the british occupation of india.

your second point betrays the first one. i agree that chinese culture/history is interesting, which is why i attempt to understand it moreso than a dichotomy of non-existence/communism. on your latter two points, regarding the claimed genocide of the uyghur muslims, and what i assume is a reference to taiwan, then i would implore you to do more research beyond what is directed at you from mass media. taiwan is the most inexplicable, and any logical political observer not blinded by biased sinophobia should come to the conclusion that taiwan, essentially, is an illegitimate state. a political force lost a civil war, and fled. questions over what authority china has over it should end right there.

I mean, the Homelessness problem is not a thing of the past, it's definitely still a thing. Oh, and should I mention the literal human feces you can find just about around every corner in places like San Francisco. Unfortunately, the "Rag on location" is shifting from California, where dumb stuff like that was relatively confined to, to just big cities in general. City crime rates have skyrocketed after the whole "Defund the Police" arc, and these cities are just covered with garbage EVERYWHERE.
i was being sarcastic when i said homelessness was a thing of the past, along with my later quote of "the law is the law" to point out the absurdity of conservative rage in a constant cycle of attention and disinterest. perhaps to elucidate my real point, i can tell a story.

i live in a medium sized city in upstate new york. my rent is dirt cheap and my housing is garbage. every day, i walk downtown to take the bus to work, and then walk home taking the same bus. during the early hours of the morning, you can see homeless people wandering aimlessly, gathering cans from trashcans, and occasionally asking you for money. garbage is outside on the streets, the rivers run murky, and in general the city is burnt out, abandoned, and disgusting. so is the reality of urban decay. what once was a prosperous (relatively) city, has now fallen back on itself, and cannot seem to get up. defund the police has nothing on decades of urban decay in america's forgotten cities. it is an absurd misnomer, meant to attribute the decay of capitalism to a weak, transient political movement. such is another displacement of class-related problems to culture.

this is a constant reality of city life anywhere. at night, it only gets worse, and more disappointing. the reason california has such a terrible problem with homelessness is because of a motley of different causes. one, being that other cities, where it gets cold in the winter, literally ship their homeless off to other states so that they do not freeze. homeless is unavoidable in any city as long as we continue the way things are, but it is also incredibly undesirable. of course, the solution to homelessness remains ephemeral, if not completely removed from actual discussion of the homeless. people, not just conservatives, hate the disgusting lives of people forced to live out on the street with their illnesses and addictions, but fail to understand why they are out on the street in the first place.

However, that's when we established ourselves as a world superpower, and started doing everything for everyone. That was one of our worst foreign policy choices of the last 70 years. It's one thing to help rebuild and renew where things were destroyed, but we ended up being the world babysitter, and that's left us in the position we're in.
you have to ask yourself, did we really do this so we could be the world's babysitter, out of good-will, or did we do it to establish ourselves as the british empire had in the past, as the absolute unrivaled world power with access to finance capital, raw resources, new investment opportunities, and new alliances to make the most out of our economic boom following the war. the marshall plan was essentially a massive FDI ploy, and it worked not only in europe, but in africa, where took a major stake in the most important raw resources of the world, being oil, copper, iron ore, diamonds, among others. at the same time, we opened major stakes in the now bankrupt european strongholds of industry and finance, further cementing ourselves as the richest nation in the world, with ties financially, now dominants, to every other capitalist/developed country. the colonialism you later refer to as ending post ww2 merely gave way into a more developed form of neo-colonialism, where countries were ostensibly free, yet in reality had no ownership of their industries, and were in fact actively impeded from development. just as there is no such thing as free lunch, there is no such thing as free aid. what could be described as "foreign aid" in the new language of the united nations was merely FDI mere decades prior.

there are of course, specifics attached to each of these cases. far too many to get into at the moment, but i will give you a quick outline so you can research further.

1. african states were previously ruled by colonial powers. these were, as you would likely agree, harsh relationships which had explicit power dynamics that were transparent.
2. ww1/ww2 made these relationships unsustainable due to the debt of many european nations, and the revolutionary waves sweeping countries now freed of military grasp. european powers, albeit slowly, receded.
3. that power vacuum was now handed over to a new ruler: the united states. however, the age of colonialism had passed. africa, however, still had numerous resources which were needed for further industrialization.
4. we, along with the remaining european powers, instead decided to heavily invest in the balkanized african states, in distinct currency zones, with industries which were entirely owned by our investment.
5. i will let you figure the rest out, but the end result is severe underdevelopment. if these countries develop further, as they did beyond colonialism, how would our interests react? would we be able to retain such wealth extractions from countries now acutely aware of their own potential? and additionally, ask yourself what role does foreign aid play in all of this.

again, your perception of the united states as a babysitter out of moral good and not financial obligation is, of course, absurd and misguided. we followed the path of development, not morals. a development which for the much of the 20th century granted us incredible returns, at the expense of other nations stunted in place.

That's the point of history: It's already happened! There's nothing we can do to undo awful stuff like Native American relocation or Slavery, it's in the past. What's important is moving forward from our mistakes. That's my whole problem with the stupid slavery reparations thing: People that support it are so stuck in the past that they can't train their eyes to move forward. We should all be able to agree that these mistakes were awful things, so let's move on.
and your answer, to the recent enslavement of tens of thousands of people is to say, move-on? i'm not even taking the position of reparations here, but this is just egregious. history happened -- so forget about it! yes, it is true, we cannot move backwards in time and rectify out mistakes. however, given we are currently alive in the present, we can do things to retroactively fix them. further, as with my last post, i believe you are once again confusing systematic operations with spontaneous actions of misjudgment, which makes them far more excusable. these were mistakes only in the most absolute technical definition of the word. in reality, they were intentional, planned out, systematic, and calculated moves. you love history and want to talk about it, but that is all you can do, talk.

how can you move forward, when everyday your life is just another reminder of the past?

And while we did royally screw up South America during the 1960's, the abuse of the developing world was mainly Europe's fault.
i believe you are severely underselling just how badly we screwed up latin america, the middle east, east asia, and even parts of europe.

I'm not going to ever use "It wasn't that bad" because 99% of the stuff we did had major blowback. Again, I am not a fan of US interventionism unless we absolutely have to!
ugh

It saddens me that American citizens hate this country with a passion for mistakes that everyone else is just as guilty of, especially when America has given so much for a lot of them
how, under any logical comparison, is the individual american just as guilty or even theoretically capable of being just as guilty of the actions of its government and corporations.

Moving on, one statement that was made in a post further up "the law is the law". I find this statement to be a little concerning, as some laws are unjust and need to be repealed
i was being sarcastic. i was contrasting your complete anathema to censorship, yet immediate deference that the law is now in place.

It's perfectly capable to have return to being moderate, it just takes time and effort. Germany is a prime example of this, as I assure you today that the German people are not the Nazi's from the 1930s and 1940s who were radicalized by their horrible leading party. People just need to stop being so idealist about every single thing and start compromising to make a better future for ALL of us.
no, it is not. in short, the historical conditions which allowed such moderation and stability in the midst of capitalism are no longer present. instead, we are oscillating between crisis after crisis with no end in sight. we did not one day wake up and choose to be radical, in the same way the germans did not one day wake up and decide to be nazis. what you are describing is a purely reactionary movement which wishes to return to a past which is no longer feasible. this is a constantly occurring theme, with countries; the most obvious one i can think of is the eventual decay of feudal arrangements in europe as a result of liberal radicalism across a 60 year-or-so span. the economic reign of feudalism died out because the conditions that made it possible were no longer present. the same appears to be happening with capitalism. if you want a reason for this, re-read my 5 points on african investment and reflect that upon the greater global market, and the general trend of accumulation that has been happening throughout the past century of our dominance.

Last edited:
Capitalism is literally not working right now.
Capitalism is working very well. Capitalism is an economic system that allows corporations a lot of freedom to compete with one another to produce goods and services that are cheap and effective. The opposite to this is Communism where many goods and services are brought to the public solely by the government. Neither system on its own can truly function. Raw unrestricted Capitalism leads to a Libertarian hellhole where global monopolies exploit consumers and leave the poor to rot. Total Communism leads to resource shortages and shoddy product quality and sometimes has issues with innovation (and occasional genocide for some weird reason). The solution appears to be European-style capitalism, which is one that allows private competition and innovation but has a strong government safety net in the form of decent minimum wage, worker protections, social services etc. You get the wealth generation associated with Capitalism but the high taxes and social services re-distribute these resources to the poor as would be expected in a Socialist / Communist nation.

In the US even the most far left politicians aren't "Socialist", they're comfortably Capitalist. Bernie Sanders himself would be considered a run of the mill politician by European standards. I laugh every time someone calls Bernie Sanders a socialist when he's basically just saying we should do what Canada / Europe does... and those places are all clearly Capitalist.

I think the worst of the pandemic is over. I dont think it will be ever as bad as it was back around December/January for the US and a lot of the world. At this point I think for most countries the cases and especially deaths will begin to drop significantly. Within a year, cases and deaths will be should be around zero and things should be similar to how it was back in 2019. This may be the last major global pandemic that humans will have to face as by midcentury we will have the technology to stop disease and aging in its tracks.

I think the worst of the pandemic is over. I dont think it will be ever as bad as it was back around December/January for the US and a lot of the world. At this point I think for most countries the cases and especially deaths will begin to drop significantly. Within a year, cases and deaths will be should be around zero and things should be similar to how it was back in 2019. This may be the last major global pandemic that humans will have to face as by midcentury we will have the technology to stop disease and aging in its tracks.
elon is that u?

1630529231132.png

1630529259560.png

1630529594351.png

1630529616054.png

Last edited:
Compared to where the US was at the very start of the year we are in a much better place. I expect cases/deaths to be on a pretty much continous downtrend from now on. We have so many people vaccinated/natural immunity and booster shots coming out in a few weeks its checkmate for the virus.
You are completely glancing over the graphs moving at an upward trend AFTER we have had access to vaccines. Will it ever be as bad as January? Probably not. But to suggest we are on a decline when it is the complete opposite is objectively false. Coronavirus is not going away. There will never be a "checkmate" to this virus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)