Why do you play video games?

Before 14, I didn't really have anything to avoid, but every game that I've ever bought since then has just been a way to procrastinate, really. It's why I usually buy games that take a lot of time to complete or progress in.

Why do I play video games? I would say that it's because gaming has become a staple of my generation; they are both distractions and tools for socialization, capable of whisking you into another world and drowning your worries for a time. (Like alcohol, with less inhibition-dropping,
hangover and liver damage.)

jrp

Banned deucer.
Video games are a great way to release tension. That's not the main reason that I play them, but it's a pretty major one, and the therapeutic effects of slashing something up in skyrim are not to be underestimated.

I'm typically a story-driven person and I love to read. Whether it's a book, a website or a well-written video game, a good story + manageable gameplay is a easy key to holding my attention. I like being told a good story, and most of the games I play are more than capable of performing that feat.

See I would answer that I play games because it was the avenue that provided the easiest method of fulfilling as many of my needs as Maslow defines them, while maintaining my attention through immersion.

Now I mainly play games as study pieces and out of habit in addition to the first bit.

Btw Extra Creditz did the same video as posted on the front page, but better imo. The first page one is great as well though.

Btw Extra Creditz did the same video as posted on the front page, but better imo. The first page one is great as well though.
This is that video:

Personally I see myself as mostly a "challenge" kind of gamer (and as they point out, challenge =/= difficulty: i suck at video games), seeing video games more or less as an obstacle course, probably because of my platform-heavy gaming history. I think that this is because this is the form of engagement (besides competition and co-operation) that you can't get from less interactive media like films.

Last edited:
There are a couple different reasons why I play videogames. Wether it be the immersion in another world or the illusion of choice. However one of the main reasons why I play videogames is for the challenge. I like the challenge of trying to not lose any rings on level when playing sonic the hedgehog. I like the challenge of solving puzzles and beating enemies in the legend of zelda series. I really enjoy the challenge of battling my rival, gym leaders, and the elite four in pokemon games. Different games have different challenges and enjoy taking them on.

_Tonks_

Well, I'm in a wheel chair, so most of my time is spend playing games or reading, I've always really played games, I love them, I love getting involved in stories and being able to feel like I'm someone in a better position then I am, lol. They're also a bit encouraging, but not really in a realistic sense.

I like playing video games because of several reasons

One, it serves as a distraction from bullshit that goes on; having had an abusive family made me addicted to video games as I lost myself in fantasy to avoid reality

Two, compassion; I f'in love Pokemon because that's basically what it is. A simulator for compassion. At least for me.

Three, challenge; I play competitive games because life doesn't challenge me enough

However I fell in love and I don't play video games much anymore, aside from Pokemon.

I play video games due to deep spiritual reasons as well as something to relieve stress off my mind. I also enjoy the challenge, stories and characters in a variety of gaming titles as well.

I play video games to kill time when I'm at my house with nothing to do. I also do it to escape acedemics for a while, because, well, I still have a b+ in math(It used to be one of my best subjects), so I'd rather not think about it 24/7. I also play video games to succeed in something else besides academics/soccer/track and field). And, like mobianangel, I play video games to relieve stress, which is my biggest problem about myself,I get stress often and I work horribly under pressure:(.

If I'm playing a video game, it's because I want to enter the Zone. ....ZZ-o-nnneee
Seriously. When I play them, it's hard to imagine anywhere else I'm exerting as much passion in a simulated adventure that relaxes me.

I play games for three main reasons:

One, I like to learn about ideas, cultures and themes I am not usually exposed to in my environment.
Two, I like to improve my skill, mind, and self-knowledge by learning to play a game.
Three, games have a great quality where you can learn morals from basically any b/s they throw in. Link pulls out the Master Sword? Growing up and taking responsibility. Or getting what you worked for. Etc.

I play video games because I hate being stressed. Even a game like Dark Souls, I play it to relieve tension. Escaping from reality seems to be the best option to keep myself from going mad from all the things I've been through in my life.

They're a source of entertainment, a source of relief from stress, inspiration for creativity, and they help me manage my own problems as well.

Video game are just a different form of media - I read books and comic books, video games can tell different stories, too. Due to their nature, they can tell different stories in different ways than would be able to be told via other media forms, including movies, television. A lot of times, the story isn't really something that would shine as well in a book/comic/TV/movie, which is why they put it in a video game.

Then again, many video games just have excuse plots that don't really matter. A video game doesn't need a plot to be good, it just needs to be fun.

That first paragraph is sort of a misdirection - the real reason why I like playing video games is that I relish the challenge. Whether it's beating someone in head-to-head on even ground, or managing to outsmart a computer that has an edge on you, being able to gun for victory as hard as you can gives a similar thrill as when you're playing sports. Hell, look at WOMBO COMBO - people get just as excited over some video games as they do over sports.

I can think of a few examples. The first time I played Metroid Prime, fighting the Omega Pirate was incredibly hard. To be honest, the guy scared the bejeezus out of me, and he killed me something like 10 times. When I finally beat him, I wanted to get up and high five everybody. Hell, my heart rate was close to 150 bpm, I was so into it.

Or playing early Resident Evil games, with the fixed camera angles, when you walk into a room, you can't see a large part of the room. Sometimes there are zombies in there, sometimes there aren't. You have to bravely take those few steps to get the camera angle to change, in order to see what's in there, and sometimes those few steps send you right into the maw of a zombie. I'm on edge the whole time, and relief floods through me when I enter a new room and hear the "safe room" music start to play.

So that slightly out of breath feeling when I get done playing, that really ain't something I'd get unless the game is super challenging. That's what makes it worth it to me, and what makes me like playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)