Why the MCU actually sucks

The one thing that the MCU does really well that hasn’t really come up is the consistency of blueprint they have laid out and how they managed to interlock 20+ movies into a coherent narrative. There's a certain steadiness underlying the whole thing. Limited recasting after bringing in Mark Ruffalo as Hulk at the very beginning. Even the more empty calories movies advance an overarching plot.

DCEU is a good contrast. They had Snyder leave Justice League midway through filming, theatrical Justice League bombed and Ray Fisher, the biggest breakout star of the Snyder Cut, wont work with DC anymore. And they had Affleck as Batman, then have Robert Pattinson as Batman, then apparently Affleck plays Batman in the upcoming Flash film. Does that leave Pattinson's Batman an independent thing like Joker? There's two almost identically titled Suicide Squad films and the second one is sort of a soft reboot? It’s a mess trying to figure out what the hell is even canon. Even within the house of mouse, Star Wars couldn't keep narrative consistency across three movies and it culminated in Episode IX as one of the most convoluted and thematically aimless things one could imagine (despite Abrams being in charge of VII, he left his own threads dangling in IX). How do you fuck up a sequel trilogy where nostalgia can smooth over almost any shortcomings? Fox’s X-Men movies were also a grab bag of great (Logan, Deadpool), above average (Days of Future Past), average (X2, First Class) and mediocre (Dark Phoenix).

Maintaining a multi-film universe is hard. So I give the MCU a lot of credit for the amount of forethought and grand plan, and keeping things steady over a 13 year, 20 movies and counting run. There's little drama in the scheme of things, no critical characters have up and left due to circumstances they can control (RIP chadwick boseman), despite Sony owning Spider-Man he's made the appearances where he needed to, etc. When you consider the massive amount of actors and intertwining plots involved it’s pretty damn impressive.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I watch maybe a fourth of them that come out. They’re ok I guess. Only ones I remember well are Ragnarok and Infinity War for being a fun time, and Endgame for being incredibly masturbatory from the perspective of a non-invested watcher.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mostly been ignoring this thread for all the cold boring takes that I've seen a million times. I really like the MCU and think that people really take for granted the things it does well in terms of building compelling character arcs and telling some pretty genuinely interesting stories with the world it built. But I also like, don't watch these movies religiously when they come out, they tend to not really grab me with their concepts and I just end up skipping most unless I'm really sure I'll enjoy it, which means that the ones I do watch tend to be ones that I end up really liking. So I don't really disagree or have any issue with the people calling the series bland or repetitive or stuff, I just think it's beating a dead horse and I don't get why people always seem to be so obsessed with yelling out about how bothered they are over the fact that some people apparently like it, like who gives a shit?

But hey I saw BKC's ranking now and I really liked reading it and generally enjoy seeing that type of analysis, so have some random takes that I'm sure nobody will care about if not be outright offended by. For the record I haven't seen Guardians 2 or Doctor Strange yet, and I refuse to rank Civil War since it's been way too long since I've seen it and I wouldn't be able to give it a fair judgment (it's pretty good though?). Anything else I exclude I either don't really have any intentions to watch, or I did see it and just think it's not very good. I think it's more interesting to celebrate a movie I think does stuff well than to just shittalk an average one for being boring.

1. Infinity War

This is unquestionably the best movie in the franchise. It's absolutely structurally brilliant, solving seemingly impossible problems like balancing an absolutely massive crossover cast without leaving fans feel like their favorite got shafted and keeping people who might not have seen every past movie up to speed with what they need to know, selling us on accepting this massive threatening villain that has yet to make a major appearance yet, and having a horrifying ending that will leave audiences satisfied and excited for more rather than just complaining. And it accomplishes all of this with just one elegant solution, making Thanos the protagonist of his own hero's journey, with all of the heroes serving as obstacles on his quest. The way it balances this absolutely massively bloated story into a genuinely well-paced and consistently exciting experience that gives everyone their chance in the spotlight and has them feeling important to the overarching narrative and hitting satisfying emotional beats is genuinely astounding. Thanos himself is a fantastic villain, being an honestly insane figure who's hell bent on proving himself right to the universe at all costs after he was doubted by his home planet, having deluded himself into believing that he's genuinely doing the right thing and saving people through genocide rather than enacting his will out of petty spite for the sake of a big "I told you so". It makes him feel fleshed out and three-dimensional, like his insane conquest came from a real place driven from his past rather than just complete pure evil out of nowhere, and his sense of honor to promises and commitment to accomplishing his goal and his goal alone gives him a conviction and weight to his ideals that's genuinely compelling even if he's completely insane to believe them. I think this movie honestly broke a ton of new ground in terms of writing an actually functional crossover event that should have been literally impossible to make work, and doing so with such a clean elegance that it just makes it feel entirely natural the full way through.

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming

This movie is just a joy to watch every time. The dialogue feels so natural, capturing the awkward highschool vibe profoundly well in a way that feels charming and realistic and doesn't talk down to its audience, the comedic moments consistently hit due to how grounded the characters feel. Ned has so much chemistry as Peter's best friend, Michelle constantly trying to seem cooler than she is has a lot of relatable charm to it, and Flash's reworked role into just the annoying arrogant kid in their trivia friend group feels like a great way to modernize his character (though he's still kind of a disappointment compared to how brilliant The Amazing Spider-Man's Flash was). Vulture is possibly the best villain in the franchise, being a deeply intimidating presence that hits hard both as a shadowy figure in the night of the action scenes and when he's just a guy outside of the suit trying to do his job, everyone knows how incredible that scene in the car was when we get to see him reason through and solve Spider-Man's identity in real time. His sense of honor and respect really fleshes out his motives, how he's not just going to do evil for its own sake but is really just looking out to do the best for his family but has gone too far for the process, and that makes the fact that he's willing to let Peter go hit genuinely hard. And I absolutely love how this movie handles its romantic arc, with Peter, constantly given every single chance to get with the girl he likes and always throwing them away because every moment he deems it more important to stop the villain's plans. And after that last scene where he's finally on a date with her, told by the villain that he'll let him off the hook because he's making Liz happy as long as he stops interfering, free to just leave the situation be and continue living his highschool life, he abandons her instead because he can't bring himself to let Vulture go through with his plan, even with no suit to rely on. This movie doesn't need to quote "with great power comes great responsibility" to send that message, it goes above and beyond in expressing that through character actions alone.

3. Thor: Ragnarok

Thor obviously desperately needed the reboot and man not only did this deliver on resetting the tone into a much more enjoyable improv comedy style, it also made Thor into one of my favorite characters in the series. When we have this arrogant god figure who's powered his way through every fight with his magic hammer, taking everything away from him, from his home to his family to his weapon, and forcing him to fend for himself in a dump full of rejects is a character arc premise that they explored brilliantly. Seeing him lose everything but continue to stay positive and determined in the face of these horrible scenarios for himself and his world and all the ways he manages to cope and accomplish the goals he needs to in this environment really helped to flesh him out as a character and show us so much of what can make Thor extremely likable and fun to watch. I'm so glad to see that Loki's sibling relationship with him feels significantly more fleshed-out and nuanced than just the slimy coward who can always be expected to betray everyone at any moment, having Thor actually move on and become willing to accept going his separate ways from his brother and Loki deep down actually taking this pretty poorly is a really smart way to push their relationship forward. Thor's relationship with Bruce and Hulk is also brimming with chemistry, every conversation he has with them is hilarious and he provides such a good comedic foil to both. Hela isn't exactly the deepest or most compelling MCU villain but she at least has enough charisma and fun corniness to keep things from getting boring. But between Thor's journey, the memorable side characters, the insanely cool alien world, and some of the strongest comedy in the series, this is definitely one of the best stories they have to offer.

4. Iron Man 3

This is Tony Stark's movie, moreso than any other. Take away the suit of armor, and who is he? Seeing him on his journey across the country, no suit, no money, just left alone in the cold with nothing more than his crippling PTSD and whatever wits he can muster up to in order to take on the terrorist organization that put him here is an absolutely incredible story to witness. Every scene where he just runs into trouble and finds his way through so many active malicious dangers just with his wits and whatever devices he can manage to scramble together is just so satisfying to watch, the movie is constantly engaging and always playing with fantastic stakes and problems that require creative solutions rather than just brute force. The character exploration is the best we've gotten from any movie featuring the character, showing how badly he's been coping with his trauma from The Avengers, how it's manifesting itself in this constant and compulsive need to build more and more defense systems out of an impossible need to keep up with the unknown horrors that lie beyond, and his dynamic with Harley is genuinely heartwarming to see as he's forced to confront all of his issues when standing alongside a kid who's just too young to understand the full gravity of what he's going through, but still genuine enough to show him a ray of light in life and what he can still accomplish in this dire situation. JARVIS controlling the Iron Legion makes for one of the coolest and most interesting final action scenes we've ever gotten here, there is so much awesome stuff going on at every moment that never feels stale due to avoiding every single cliche of a standard superpowered good guy vs. bad guy fight. But really, every scene that makes up this this journey is just so constantly fun and exciting, perfectly balancing some of the most creative action in the series with a genuinely heartfelt character arc, it's satisfying the whole way through and one of the most uniquely memorable experiences the MCU has to offer.

5. Shang-Chi

In all honesty, I wanted to rank Shang-Chi lower than this, it's a pretty flawed movie. The pacing is imbalanced, and while the exposition scenes where we got to learn more about the characters' pasts were actually some of my favorite parts due to the investment it had built in them for me, they were loaded up alongside the action pretty irregularly. The finale is pretty solid but still feels somewhat wasted to have our final battle be up against a gigantic monster god rather than the incredibly compelling villain we were hyped up with for so long. The humor, while I think it landed strongly enough in many places such as the beginning and ending, also felt forced and out of place in a few others, leaving me wishing that this just wasn't a Marvel movie and could stand alone more with its own tonal identity (no fault to Trevor though, he was a joy to see return in every moment). And despite that, I just love its hero and villain too much for this to heavily sour my opinion. Shaun was a way better character than I expected, someone who had been secretly coping with loss, grief, and the guilt of enacting a hollow revenge by going through every effort he could to just live the most mundane and enjoyable normal life he can. When his mask comes off and he shows how much pain he's been put through, it genuinely hits hard to see how much all of the trauma and guilt he's lived with has scarred him and the efforts he's made to move past it. Wenwu was an overall incredible villain, while I don't think the balance between his sympathetic side and villainy was handled perfectly and wish they tipped the balance further to the latter half rather than only half-committing to both, Tony Leung's performance as a cold, ruthless, and terrifying warlord was memorable as all hell and the overall story about how his grief led him to become a terrible father and revert back to his harsh conquest-filled ways of life in the wake of his loss was still a compelling one. The scenes in Ta Lo were beautifully constructed and extremely visually striking, giving the film such a memorable visual identity that did a great job of adapting a wide variety of Chinese culture and mythology into something fantastic to see and experience. The action was solid, it didn't quite meet the standards I had from other martial arts movies but it still did a better job than most other Marvel stuff and that final showdown between Shaun and his father was honestly one of the most beautiful sequences I could have asked for. Overall I think this is a bit of a mixed bag to watch that's still largely enjoyable throughout, but the main characters are just so memorably written and give such great performances that it manages to stand out surprisingly strongly after the fact.

6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

This is probably one of the most competently written MCU movies. It's tense, it's exciting, it's constantly doing something you want to see, and the plot twist of HYDRA's infiltration and the status quo change of taking down SHIELD for good were both some surprisingly brave directions for the writers to take the entire movie series in. Probably my biggest issue with this is that I don't think that it really commits itself hard enough to the themes it set up about the balance between security and freedom, posing an extremely interesting question at the start but not really able to go through with them due to the HYDRA plot taking over so heavily. Any interesting ideas the story could present mostly just take the backseat to a tense and paranoid action/mystery plot, but a REALLY good one at the very least. Beyond that, I don't think it really does much to elevate itself beyond the standard Marvel baseline of storytelling style or any kind of unique identity, it's very visually unremarkable and more or less just the best version you're going to get of the MCU's standard fare. The characters are great and entertaining for what the story needs them to do but don't really do much to push themselves in a memorable way beyond just being "fine" for that. Steve is charismatic as always but what you see is always going to be what you get with him, I did at least really like how much the story emphasized his loyalty to his lost friend and how hard he was committed to a difficult decision like taking down SHIELD as a whole. Pierce was a fine villain and did a great job of everything he needed to for the story but nobody's ever going to call him one of the standout greatest MCU villains or anything. I think this is a more fun movie to actively watch than Shang-Chi and has significantly better pacing, overall story, and strength at holding a viewer's attention and never getting dull, but Shang-Chi was just a more memorable experience that lingers longer in retrospect with its great main character, absolutely top-tier villain with Tony Leung's incredible performance, and the themes it was able to commit harder to exploring through this dichotomy. Winter Soldier lacks the thematic depth and memorable character work of a few other elite Marvel movies, but it makes up for this in pure intensity of action, stakes, and a constant feeling of intense looming dread that keeps you hooked and never gets dull.

7. Avengers: Endgame

Really this movie doesn't count and shouldn't be ranked. Placing it anywhere on any list just feels like an incorrect decision. I absolutely love it, it's a great culmination of the entire story so far and delivers on everything it needs to as a finale, but I don't think that delivering so ridiculously hard on fanservice alone is enough to put it above movies that I think are more smartly constructed as standalone experiences. Honestly I like this movie better than a couple of others I placed above it, but I could even shift it lower based on how much overall sloppiness it's able to get away with considering how I enjoy it too much to really personally care. It's a great experience and that's all it really needs to be.

8. Spider-Man: Far From Home

This movie lives and dies by Mysterio being an absolutely incredible villain. The MCU is full of bland and forgettable evil dudes with no meaningful personality, or trying to strike an honestly samey balance between someone having seemingly sympathetic motives but are actually evil and want to do bad things even though they have some understandable motives for the fact. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, I still slightly prefer Vulture over Mysterio but he was a lot fresher and newer when he came out than he is now, Thanos is at least deeply iconic in every line he delivers and holds a commanding presence over the story, and Wenwu was the point where I was starting to sour a bit on the repetition of this trend and wished his movie did a better job of fleshing out his ruthless villainous side over focusing on trying to make him sympathetic and relatable, though it still hit a good balance for what it did and was backed by some absolutely incredible acting to sell each moment.

Mysterio, however, falls into none of these trends. He's an absolutely abhorrent piece of shit and he just has so much fun reveling in the fact. Any sympathy he could possibly garner feels like it's immediately discounted in favor of just portraying him as a delusional and spiteful attention-seeker who would go to some absolutely awful lengths in executing his plan and do so with a gleeful pride and mockery of anyone who'd stand up to him, and Jake Gyllenhaal has loads of fun in the role and brings to life a character who is truly detestable with a lively charisma that makes him constantly a joy to watch. Beyond that, this movie is more or less everything Homecoming is, just downgraded a bit. Still extremely funny, but the humor doesn't feel quite as sharp overall. The plot with the travel setup feels a little less freeflow and more railroaded than the more open and exciting nature of Homecoming that felt brimming with potential for Peter's choices and wide possibilities to prove himself. The romantic plot loses a lot of the charm of the original, Michelle is a great character but the fact that Homecoming was willing to take the subversive ending of Peter's romance falling apart because he constantly prioritized his responsibilities as a hero and sacrificed his personal life to do the right thing just made it so much more interesting than a fairly cute and awkward but still by-the-numbers story about two geeks falling in love and reaching the expected eventual conclusion of getting together by the end. Even with Tony's presence, Peter's individuality felt incredibly earned with Homecoming's climax forcing him to take action and fight with none of the help or support of any technology beyond what he was able to scrounge together with his own two hands, showing what really still makes him special in a time of maximum adversity. Far From Home feels like Peter's gone back to living just a little bit more back in Tony's shadow, with him taking up the mantle as one of the next big heroic presences to rise up in his absence just not doing quite as much to elevate him as the unique individual that he is. But god dammit, that final action scene gets me every time, Mysterio's cold mockery and absolutely ruthless attempts to secure the kill, followed by seeing Peter just make it through that entire gauntlet of drones with his spider-sense alone and nullify every trick Mysterio had to throw at him was just an incredible sequence that still gets me emotional watching it. Overall, while this is a slightly weaker movie than its predecessor, those differences are really only slight, it's still an incredibly funny and entertaining experience and Mysterio is more than enough of a draw to set it apart as something worth going back to when his performance is just that incredible to watch.

9. Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Guardians of the Galaxy is really funny. Like really funny. It's honestly kind of hard for me to say much about it beyond that fact, it was an incredible amount of fun at the time but in retrospect I think the story itself was a bit average. The characters and dialogue are just absolutely oozing with charm and every moment is just a constant joy, the entire story being extremely well-paced with overall fantastic dialogue, but I think it plays a lot pretty safe and by the numbers once you go past the moments being so great and look at the big picture of the overall structure. The ending is okay, not exactly a bad power-of-friendship moment but it's not exactly doing much to stick in my mind as a deep and memorable character exploration rather than just a simple and satisfying ending to defeat an overall mediocre and unmemorable villain. Drax was probably the overall highlight character for me, despite being something of a one-liner machine (and a downright incredible one for the record), his extreme grudge against Ronan and Thanos and his hardcore commitment to his goal of getting revenge at all costs was probably the most memorable individual storyline among the group due to the sheer amount of drive and direction it gives him rather than the more typical and expected character story of just being a misfit trying to find his place in the world, it felt like a throughline that connected him really well to the rest of the broader story in the universe. I really like this movie and would definitely recommend it as an easy watch to just about anyone, even if the overall base concept isn't something I think is the greatest out there it has some of the best and most rock-solid execution in the series and never falls flat with any letdown moments.

10. Iron Man 1

I love this movie and I think it still really holds up great in a modern day context. Tony Stark's character development is so straightforward and simple but it manages to still hit really hard to see such an immoral and unlikable figure take such a harsh fall from grace and immediately realize every ounce of responsibility he bears for such tragedies and put such effort into changing his ways immediately. The scene where he calls the press conference right after making it back to America is probably my favorite, the weight of his life-changing experience is just so tangible in how it hangs over him and he's moved so far past giving any shits about what anyone thinks about his decisions because he's just so determined to correct every wrong he can. The thing is, the movie really peaks hard in the first third, has a pretty fun and enjoyable middle third, and is still entertaining by the end but drops off to being only okay. I like the whole thing, but the character arc that makes it actually interesting is so front-loaded into the beginning and still explored decently enough in the middle that it just feels like a very asymmetrical experience. Probably one of the biggest praises I can give to this movie is the effects, they're some of the best practical effects I could ask for compared to this modern-day CGI nightmare. I miss the days when Iron Man didn't feel like just a dude wearing a skintight layer of shiny magic that's explained away as actually being technology, but felt like a military tank that happened to be shaped like a human, with all of the weight to his movements feeling like a real powered exoskeleton loaded with actual realistic weaponry. The action really makes this worth returning to if you miss the days when practical effects could look this good, and being able to reexperience where Tony's long-running story originally kicked off always manages to deliver what it needs to.

11. The Avengers

Whenever people talk about the MCU calling it just dumb mindless fun that doesn't really have any value beyond just being an enjoyable time-killer to munch popcorn to, I assume that they're just talking about this movie. It seems reasonably likely enough considering that literally everybody saw it and it's the entire reason why these movies got catapulted into such a culturally dominant existence such to warrant being commented on by everyone like this. This movie was awesome when it came out, and honestly I don't think it really aged that well despite how honestly pretty historically significant it is. The entire thing is extremely well-paced, constantly fun and enjoyable without ever getting boring, and does a great job handling its characters, but it's also extremely lacking in any kind of memorable substance to really latch onto. The quippy Whedon dialogue does stand out here, it's fun and entertaining enough but this movie is one of the few cases where the samey and repetitive nature of how everyone talks can get more noticeable and a little grating. Really I don't think this movie is that much better than Age of Ultron (which is worse but not really that bad overall), both kind of have a lot of this issue and the difference between them feels a little overblown to me. But still, even if Age of Ultron can be similarly too quippy and repetitive, it's a lot more tonally inconsistent and fails to strike the mood it needs to when it tries. Avengers is much cleaner, more consistent, and competent at delivering the emotional range of moments that it needs to and staying enjoyable and entertaining throughout, which makes it a still solid experience that I think did a great job of structuring a crossover story and earned its legacy of turning these characters into cinematic icons.

12. Ant-Man

Ant-Man is funny and I love Paul Rudd in the role. This movie is entertaining and has an extremely charming and likable main character, and I do enjoy the overall setup of a heist plot and the moments it's able to create through these factors. The powers utilized by the Ant-Man suit are genuinely some of the most creative and engaging to watch I've seen in a superhero movie and really help to carry a lot of the entertainment value of the experience. Overall though, the plot beyond the whole fun heist sequences and seeing a likable criminal in Scott get reformed is overall pretty standard and there's not much that's going to stick in your mind past watching it. The story goes through all of the standard beats that you expect that it needs to and doesn't really do much interesting beyond just being decently competent and using the characters and powers well, and it's also held back a bit by some genuinely weird pacing where the action sequences in the later half just transition into each other in a far too fast and honestly unsatisfying way that makes the whole thing feel like it's over much too quickly and like there wasn't enough room given to let things breathe. Overall this is definitely an entertaining experience that has some issues mostly made up for by solid comedy and an overall pretty good cast, quite far from being perfect but at least it has some unique and creative elements to give itself its own identity and things that are worth watching about it beyond its average story and sub-par flow.

13. Captain America: The First Avenger

This is basically the minimum standard of movies that I genuinely like. It's fun and enjoyable the whole way through but doesn't really strike any deeply memorable chords for the majority of it. It stands out by virtue of a few incredible scenes that manage to hit really hard with their emotional moments. It's the type of thing that's worth watching once but after that you can have everything could get out of it by just checking out only a few of its scenes on YouTube. Definitely a worthy introduction to a great character, but it plays things pretty safe and basic for about 90% of its content, with that 10% at least elevating it to a memorable experience.

So yeah those are my overall thoughts on the MCU. Putting them all out in a list, it definitely feels like there are around ten or so really genuinely great experiences there before they start trickling down into the more average and forgettable territory, and I can see how people's opinions can very heavily be shaped by the movies that they happened to have tried their faith in and how many risks they happened to have been willing to take versus just playing it safe and easy. A lot of the ones that I even did really like had some heavy pros and cons to weigh where I can easily see how they wouldn't have landed as well for others based on subjective preferences. Really, I think any amount of long-term investment in the franchise absolutely hinges upon how much you liked Infinity War, it was such an important and monumental movie in the lineup and having a level of emotional investment in it will motivate you to view all of the films leading up to it in a better light and probably rewatch any notable ones that were missed. If Infinity War was an overall disappointment to someone, then I can easily imagine this heavily built-up flop would sour their opinion on the universe as a whole's ability to tell cohesive stories. I liked it a lot and even though I'm not getting out of my house to go watch every Black Widow or any of the Disney+ shows or whatever comes out, Shang-Chi and No Way Home still have me genuinely excited for the future of what's to come in this series.

Last edited:
Can't get into it again since the "reboot" or whatever it's called, after Endgame. In retrospect, was getting into it a waste of time? Maybe, but I've wasted my time on so much shit by now, that the enjoyment it gave me at the time seems to be worth enough.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Interested in people's opinion on Eternals

I liked it, and the current audience score is quite high. It is quite different and definitely has flaws, namely being meandering, expositional, and having too many villains. But it's also very well made and does well introducing a diverse array of characters, though not quite as well as Guardians.

I have a feeling (*equips tin hat*) it got review bombed because Chloe Zhao is outspokenly pro-Hong Kong, and China pumped some money into giving it low scores, as well as featuring a gay couple, albeit for like 2 minutes. Especially given if you read critic reviews they don't even address its flaws and give it a lot of praise but then give it a low score.

Interested in people's opinion on Eternals

I liked it, and the current audience score is quite high. It is quite different and definitely has flaws, namely being meandering, expositional, and having too many villains. But it's also very well made and does well introducing a diverse array of characters, though not quite as well as Guardians.

I have a feeling (*equips tin hat*) it got review bombed because Chloe Zhao is outspokenly pro-Hong Kong, and China pumped some money into giving it low scores, as well as featuring a gay couple, albeit for like 2 minutes. Especially given if you read critic reviews they don't even address its flaws and give it a lot of praise but then give it a low score.
Yeah, I didn't actually see Eternals, but I saw Shang-Chi, and that was fucking hot garbage, but rather highly rated, so I don't believe in fucking review score shit any more.

I love the MCU, I watch all the movies the day they come out in cinemas pretty much. Then why am I here? To point out what I hate most. When you're a big fan you will get annoyed by this trope a lot.

Ok the one I despise the most is a character or ability being so overpowered that they choose to ignore it. So they introduced Captain Marvel in the MCU but have to make her 'busy' or make her 'save more important planets' whenever a big event happens such as Endgame. This is just because she is the strongest of the Avengers and could easily beat Thanos in a fight by herself. This is at least how she is portrayed. Also every person of the mystic art's slingring is a definite mention. These magical rings can chop enemies' limbs off or transport them to Antarctica to freeze to death, so why aren't they used like this and instead used to teleport to places? Because balance.

IoSonoNeon

The Fallen King
is a Tutoris an Artistis a Tiering Contributor
I love the MCU, I watch all the movies the day they come out in cinemas pretty much. Then why am I here? To point out what I hate most. When you're a big fan you will get annoyed by this trope a lot.

Ok the one I despise the most is a character or ability being so overpowered that they choose to ignore it. So they introduced Captain Marvel in the MCU but have to make her 'busy' or make her 'save more important planets' whenever a big event happens such as Endgame. This is just because she is the strongest of the Avengers and could easily beat Thanos in a fight by herself. This is at least how she is portrayed. Also every person of the mystic art's slingring is a definite mention. These magical rings can chop enemies' limbs off or transport them to Antarctica to freeze to death, so why aren't they used like this and instead used to teleport to places? Because balance.
Nah, that's the power of PG 13 rating

->Movies based on comics that already existed for a long time.
-> Predictable.

For me, this argument is like saying Harry Potter is predictable.

Those movies/tv shows based on books, comics and games are, literally, fan service. Their function is to expand the brand, attract new fans and at the same time please old fans. You have your right to dislike it, but you can't deny that they fulfill this function perfectly.

It is like the Pokemon anime, and how it just expanded the whole franchise to another level.

->Movies based on comics that already existed for a long time.
-> Predictable.

For me, this argument is like saying Harry Potter is predictable.

Those movies/tv shows based on books, comics and games are, literally, fan service. Their function is to expand the brand, attract new fans and at the same time please old fans. You have your right to dislike it, but you can't deny that they fulfill this function perfectly.

It is like the Pokemon anime, and how it just expanded the whole franchise to another level.
It's also a dumb quote because a lot of Marvel movies aren't solely based of comics. Yes they'll take basic premises or stories but No Way Home was never a comic from my knowledge and no comic had a similar story line.

I'm kind of curious about how people are feeling about Loki. I was somewhat of an MCU fan up until I watched that show and now I am just hesitant to look at any more Marvel stuff. It's hard for me to even articulate why I hate it so much; all I can say is that I've never detested a show half as much as I do this one.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm kind of curious about how people are feeling about Loki. I was somewhat of an MCU fan up until I watched that show and now I am just hesitant to look at any more Marvel stuff. It's hard for me to even articulate why I hate it so much; all I can say is that I've never detested a show half as much as I do this one.
It's very tryhard, so I get it. It's tried too hard to be dramatic and funny and serious all at once, and it leans way too heavily on Tom Hiddleston, who is mediocre at best, and Sylvie, who was uninteresting overall. Granted, they had to breach the multiverse subject and make it palatable, but ya I wasn't into it myself.

I did like Wanda, Hawkeye, and Falcon, and I loved What If, those were better done imo.

honestly imo fr fr gotg and winter soldier top tier>>> many sequels suck (thor 2, iron man 2). fr bruv the only good thing is how hot thanos, goose from captain marvel, scarelett johanosson, and dr strange are. AND (unpop opinion) CHRIS's BUTT is not as good as everyone thinks, I bet that shield is thicker than him. vibranium may be the strongest metal on earth but bucky has the strongest chance of turning into an amputee AGAIN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)