Pokémon Wishiwashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one suggestion about wishiwashi: Doubles trick room. When partnered with oranguru, it could be a devastating threat.

Wishiwashi-School @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Facade

OR

Wishiwashi-School @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Surf
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric/ Ground

These two sets are so similar, I lumped them together. Firstly the item choice. Aguav Berry is a useful item that, thanks to gen 7, boosts you back up 50% when at 25% HP or less, or the same time schooling deactivates. Secondly, the EV investment. In doubles, I personally have often seen Xurkitree with tapu koko. The weird EV investment allows for Wishiwashi to survive modest Xurkitree's discharge in electric terrain with 252 SpA EVs, one of the highest amounts of super effective damage in the game, 50% the time. While that might not sound like much, think of it this way. Flip a coin: If heads, you live with about 50% of your HP, if tails, you die. Basically, you have a slightly worse chance then grasswhistle. The remaining EV's are dumped into your preferred offensive stat. Both wishiwashi sets goes as follows: Protect turn one, as oranguru sets up TR, then attack twice with waterfall or earthquake (Or surf on set 2). The main issue for set 1 is that earthquake gets no STAB, and waterfall is single target (making instruct play... interesting), but they both are reliable attacks. Not only that, but I personally prefer the physical set because any strategy they attempt to pull off with tapu koko and xurkitree/ AChu (Alolan raichu sounds like a sneeze) doesn't work, as Earthquake 2HKOes, and thanks to instruct, will ALWAYS rid you of those pesky electric types trying to take advantage of your weakness. Set two is just better in general. STAB Surf is tasty, and with instruct it can really hurt, but it just leaves you up the creek without a paddle against the aforementioned electric combo. Mixed is probably possible, but would be quite awkward.

So yeah. The oranguru is just standard oranguru (Set below)

Oranguru @ Leftovers/Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Instruct
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Psychic

Just Trick Room, then keep instructing. Simple.

So in summary, we've learned that doubles wishiwashi is actually not bad at all.

If anyone wants more calcs, I'm too lazy to provide them right now, so I apologize. Enjoy using a pokemon with worse stats than sunkern, yet better stats than magearna!

Is there a reason for using Hidden Power Ground over Earthquake?
If you're not running something like specs, there doesn't seem to be any reason to as even max investment HP-G does less than negatively invested EQ against higher def enemies:

0- Atk Wishiwashi-School Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 198-234 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Wishiwashi-School Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If you're not running something like specs, there doesn't seem to be any reason to as even max investment HP-G does less than negatively invested EQ against higher def enemies:
If discussing doubles, earthquakes damage becomes split, making the calc look like the below.

252+ SpA Wishiwashi Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Wishiwashi Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 148-176 (52.6 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, in doubles, if the special defense is equal to the defense (I set both to 85), the calcs look like

252+ SpA Wishiwashi Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 174-206 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Wishiwashi Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 148-176 (52.6 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

To be entirely fair, in singles you're right, and there really isn't a point to using hidden power ground over earthquake. However, in doubles that extra damage can come in handy.

Last edited:
Is there a reason for using Hidden Power Ground over Earthquake?
Not really, running -Spe has virtually no cost on a 30 Spe Pokemon like Wishiwashi, and as stated above, uninvested EQ > Hidden Power Ground (also frees up Hidden Power for Grass/Electric if you want).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)