Worst Pokemon Sprites?

To be fair, everyone randomly vibrated for Emerald sprites for entry

Haunter and Raticate having 4 fingers still in Emerald?

And Weedle still has its spotted belly!

MOD EDIT: Double posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Emerald sprites...

Ivysaur's sitting pose looks painful.

NidoranF... which is her tooth and which is her hand?

That's an... interesting flex, Machoke.

Pinball, anyone?

[opera intensifies]

Noctowl looks like it belongs on a totem pole.

*looks over your shoulder*

TIL Aipom's arms do something.

"SIR YES SIR!"

Sneasel may need to see a chiropractor after this pose.

"BOO!"

At first glance, it looked like Delcatty was trying to stick its tongue out at me.

Someone's a Kirby fan.

*kicks small object out of sight* "Uh... nothing to see here, heh heh..."

And now we have a Yoshi fan.

"Do a barrel roll!"

Jynx Opera is actually a neat ref to it being a mix of an opera singer and an ice yokai/spirit
Sneasal's two poses are very dynamic, but they fail heavily for an anim
Aipom doing a handstand is cool
Honestly the real issue with most gen 3 sprites are colors

Jynx Opera is actually a neat ref to it being a mix of an opera singer and an ice yokai/spirit
Sneasal's two poses are very dynamic, but they fail heavily for an anim
Aipom doing a handstand is cool
Honestly the real issue with most gen 3 sprites are colors
Oh, and Swampert and Lugia and Tyranitar
those guys were jacked

MOD EDIT: Double posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulbapedia probably disabled linking to images from smogon for whatever reason. If you've already seen the image before, it'll be visible because of the cache.
Clicking the links above gives a 403 error, but refreshing loads it in.

Can we talk about how weird did they made the animated sprites in Emerald?

Pidgeot doing weird flips. I didn't even like the normal static sprite to begin with (inner body looks just wrong) so this animation is an unwelcomed addition.

Tangela suffering from hyperactivity disorder.

Staryu having his daily dose of epilepsy.

"Typhlosian never is seen without his flames for sprites. how dare Gen 6!"
Mystery Dungeon:
typ.png

It's funny too cuz even the anime he's not flamed unless fired up for combat, Stadium similarly has him not flame unitl attacking. This applies to his preevos as well
Also interesting, Mystery Dungeon has some sprites based on Stadium/Colo for animations

Yellow Fearow's wings are way too broad, and his beak too small

Most Crystal anims I like, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity not to use Silver's sprite for the final flap. Otherwise it's just weird
OG Crystal

My edit
Untiatled.gif

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
"Typhlosian never is seen without his flames for sprites. how dare Gen 6!"
Mystery Dungeon:
View attachment 245333
It's funny too cuz even the anime he's not flamed unless fired up for combat, Stadium similarly has him not flame unitl attacking. This applies to his preevos as well
Also interesting, Mystery Dungeon has some sprites based on Stadium/Colo for animations
you've already made this post

- in the pic: PMD sprites 2 and 3 are fine but 1 and 4... his spine is higher than his head.
- the anime shows pokemon emote and interact w/ their surroundings in a way the games dont
- stadium is stadium, it's old but it's also guilty.
and if you look back to HGSS, walking w pokemon outside their poke balls, typhlosion is seen w/ its flames active while obviously not battling

without the fires, theres literally nothing to grab on. gen6/7 typhlosion isn't the battle-ready murder badger we loved seeing in gen2 and 4; his face says "i just woke up from a 30-hour sleep" but the body says "i just sprinted a mile". aside from the blue there is literally nothing eyecatching.

compare this fanmade model (source) to the official one

look me in the eyes and tell me "typhlosion just standing there" is better than "actual battle stance"

you've already made this post

- in the pic: PMD sprites 2 and 3 are fine but 1 and 4... his spine is higher than his head.
- the anime shows pokemon emote and interact w/ their surroundings in a way the games dont
- stadium is stadium, it's old but it's also guilty.
and if you look back to HGSS, walking w pokemon outside their poke balls, typhlosion is seen w/ its flames active while obviously not battling

without the fires, theres literally nothing to grab on. gen6/7 typhlosion isn't the battle-ready murder badger we loved seeing in gen2 and 4; his face says "i just woke up from a 30-hour sleep" but the body says "i just sprinted a mile". aside from the blue there is literally nothing eyecatching.

compare this fanmade model (source) to the official one

look me in the eyes and tell me "typhlosion just standing there" is better than "actual battle stance"
First off I never said it was better. I just noted he doesn't need to be in flame all the time
Second, that model isn't fan made. That's literally Gen 6s reanimated
I'm poking fun at the fact people say he NEVER was flameless, which is false
Also the fire isn't the only thing helping him, it's his overall pose

didls

formerly Besom
Spr_4d_149.png
Spr_4h_149.png

Spr_4d_135.png
Spr_4p_135.png
Spr_4h_135.png
While not necessarily bad, I always felt like the HGSS sprites were significantly worse than those in DPPt. For example, the HGSS sprite for Dragonite lacks any personality, and the orange appears to be very unsaturated.
The HGSS Jolteon sprite is just standing there, but it's in a cool and dynamic pose in DPPt.

While not necessarily bad, I always felt like the HGSS sprites were significantly worse than those in DPPt. For example, the HGSS sprite for Dragonite lacks any personality, and the orange appears to be very unsaturated.
The HGSS Jolteon sprite is just standing there, but it's in a cool and dynamic pose in DPPt.
DPPt Dragonite's sprite looks like it's falling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)