X/Y (Newbie) Competitive Team

As you may have gathered, I'm a newbie at competitive battling. I recently started since it was made to be so easy. Thanks to everyone, I've put together a Rain team thanks to Heliolisk being the mascot of my team. If anyone could help me with movesets and maybe change some Pokemon, that would be great. Please note that I am missing a lot of items - it's because I sold them off in my naivety. So I decided to start breeding, at last. The natures are there, but I can't be bothered to get more than 3 perfect IVs. I use this red text to 'lock' certain aspects of the team. These parts, I think, don't need to be changed or I just don't want them to be. It would appear this team is complete. Thanks guys! Also, try and get all the references. This team has been revised several times, and I have been reading up on Rain teams for some time. Well, the team is now fully IV breeded and EV trained! It's ready to go!
This team has now been converted to a UU team. I cannot move it, so the statement is here.

Lead Physical Sweeper

GinnyBuizley the Naughty Swift Swim Floatzel (F) @ Damp Rock
252 (252) Atk / 252 (252) Spe / 6 (6) HP - Training Complete
x/31/x/x/31/31 - Breeding Complete
Rain Dance, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Ice Fang

Coming Soon!

Special Sweeper

Helix the Timid Dry Skin Heliolisk (M) @ Leftovers
252 (252) Spe / 252 (252) SpA / 6 (6) HP - Training Complete
31/x/x/31/x/31 - Breeding Complete
Thunder, Thunderbolt, Protect, Focus Blast

Helix is one of the main focuses of the team and its mascot. After Slippy's been switched out, Helix comes in and Thunders all his opponents. Sometimes this lasts for a very long time, sometimes it doesn't. Thunderbolt is for the instance in which Slippy does not survive but Helix does, in which case he can still continue. Protect helps give him more time to heal with Dry Skin and Leftovers. Focus Blast is a move that works surprisingly well. With the SpA IV and EV boosts, it does massive damage and is great coverage for other Heliolisks or whatnot. The IVs and EVs are in the same stats, as there is a heavy focus on those stats in particular.

Bulky Wall

Gyorg the Modest Volt Absorb Lanturn (M) @ Assault Vest
252 (252) HP / 130 (130) Def / 128 (128) SpA - Training Complete
31/x/x/31/31/x - Breeding Complete
Scald, Thunder, Ice Beam, Signal Beam

Gyorg, although Heliolisk is my favourite, is nearly always the MVP of my team. For one, he's incredibly bulky due to the Assault Vest, as well as powerful due to one EV being in Special Attack. He has Scald as STAB, Rain boost, burn and thaw, which is great and it's one of my favourite Water-type moves. Thunder has 100% accuracy in Rain, so that's great, and it's STAB too. Ice Beam is simply coverage, plus no-one else has an Ice-type move anyway. I also added Signal Beam as extra coverage. The reference is pretty easy for Gyorg though - I hope everyone gets it.

Special Coverage Sweeper

Alexstrasza the Mild Infiltrator Noivern (F) @ Choice Specs
252 (252) Spe / 252 (252) SpA / 6 (6) SpD - Training Complete
x/x/x/31/31/31 - Breeding Complete

Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Hurricane, Boomburst
OK, what to say about Alexstrasza? She outspeeds the majority of Pokemon incredibly well. Draco Meteor easily wipes out Dragon-type competition. Flamethrower is mostly coverage at this point. Alexstrasza's Hurricane synergises with the Rain Dance basis, being the second option after Helix or Gyorg. Boomburst is great, and is even better with the Specs Boost. Yeah, Life Orb was suggested, but I prefer Choice Specs as Alexstrasza ends up spamming Hurricane on my Rain team, plus it helps with everything else anyway. Thanks to Andrew0003 for helping me with the item, moveset, and choice in general. EVs and IVs are in the same stats again - they all help the Special Sweeper status.

Physical Stalling Sweeper

Mary the Adamant Sap Sipper Gogoat (F) @ Big Root
252 (252) HP / 252 (252) Atk / 6 (6) Spe - Training Complete
31/31/x/31/x/31 - Breeding Complete
Horn Leech, Leech Seed, Milk Drink, Rock Slide

Coming Soon!

Special Sweeping Wall

Leonardo the Modest Rain Dish/Mega Launcher Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
252 (252) SpA / 248 (248) SpD / 10 (10) HP - Training Complete
31/x/x/31/31/x - Breeding Complete

Water Pulse, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin
Coming Soon!

I always refrain from using legendaries, even if they're in OU, UU or RU.

Last edited:

Andrew0003

Banned deucer.
For your noivern get rid of dragon pulse and teach it Draco meteor which will dent things really hard and noivern doesn't have the best special attack (it's good but not the best) and hurricane and boomblast are fine...flamethrower is fine but you can also run focus blast...and you can give it a life orb or a focus sash...I would prefer the life orb simply because noivern can smash things and punch things really hard especially with Draco meteor....also get ride of the wide lens on that greninja and give it a focus sash because greninja is really weak...also your scizor should run...
Bullet punch
Bug bite (I believe it does 120 damage because of technician)
Swords dance
Last moves lot is your choice between roost or substitute or you could have another attacking move your choice....
Hope my advice helps

Give Greninja a Life Orb instead of Wide Lens. It'll let it harder and it will give him a great chance to 2HKO Heatran instead of a 3HKO.
If you are using Malamar as a Special Wall just replace it with this:
Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hydration or Gooey
Moves:
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD

Goodra with Assault Vest has monster SpD, letting you invest in his SpA. He has 3 great coverage moves in Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Earthquake, and Dragon Pulse is a decently strong STAB attack. Gooey lets you slow down pokemon that attack him with physical moves and is usually what i run, but if you have rain dance up from your Heliolisk than Goodra can be a great status absorber with Hydration.

Your team will really struggle with Heatran if you replace malamar. Besides Greninja, Malamar's superpower is your only answer to Heatran. That's why I recommend Earthquake on Goodra. It will 2HKO Heatran and lets Goodra counter him, as the only thing Heatran can do is toxic him.

Thanks. I'll get Draco Meteor for Noivern, although I've never been a fan of Focus Blast. I'll also get a Life Orb for her. I'll have to breed a few more Goomys for Hydration, my only leveled-up Goodra has Sap Sipper and I have no Sliggoo Friend Safaris. There's just something I'm not certain about, and that's that I have 2 Dragon-types on my team. Gah, OCD. If you have a better suggestion for a Special/Physical Tank though, please put it up. As for the suggested Mega Scizor moveset, Bug Bite no longer gets the boost and can't be learned anyway and typically my Mega Scizor doesn't live long enough to get use from Swords Dance. That's why it's been better to be a full-on attacker.
I'll update the list with this stuff. Can some of you help me choose which moves some Pokemon should have? I'm having a bit of trouble... I've also never breeded for Natures or IVs before. I might start.

Last edited:
This team screams for skarmory haha. You are missing defog, phasing, and a good physical wall. Unless going for hyper offense, it is always a good idea to pack in a phasing pokemon in the case someone starts setting up on you (and you do have multiple pokemon that can be set up on). Skarm phases particularly well with sturdy, ensuring that no mater how big your opponents mon gets you will always be able to take a hit and whirlwind it out. He also gives you defog, which is an invaluable asset, especially considering you don't run any entry hazards yourself (come on, you're never gonna use spikes). I will grant you that losing wish will be a blow, but it's not like slyveon is the best wish passer anyway, and I feel the benefits of defog/whirlwind/roost/brave bird skarmory with a defensive build will be worth it; plus skarmory is simply a much more sturdy tank in general, boasting significantly higher defense. You even have some built in synergy, as Helio/ninja can take the electric/fire attacks that might otherwise cause problems. If you're not into skarmory then I would suggest heatran, as he forms a nice little core with scizor and noivern, and will give you roar/will-o-wisp (you can never have too much will-o-wisp :p)

Hmm... I'd just like to say that OCD can be a really inconvenient barrier sometimes. I'll admit I had no idea of Defog's effects. When it was introduced in Gen IV, I saw it as a 'useless' move that was only for progression within the game. So I simply dismissed it. Now it seems like it would be amazing for competitive. And then OCD comes in. It's annoying, really it is. Yeah, Spikes is really only there for evasion against Electric-types, but really, becoming a Grass-type does that well enough. I could replace it with Dark Pulse... Gah. Are there any other good tanks that don't conflict? (e.g. being Gen VI, bringing in a type that isn't already there...)

Last edited:
Life orb Scizor deals more damage than Mega-Scizor.

Either take out Mega-Scizor and replace it with Regular Scizor (life orb or Choice Band) or make your Mega-Scizor a Specially defensive Swords Dance sweeper.

The only real advantage MegaSciz has over regular Scizor is its extra special bulk. Move those Speed EV's to Special Defense and HP and then it will survive Swords Dance better.

Use it as a late-game pokemon--after any STAB fire-users are taken out--then it will be cleaning house against all the pokemon that can't take it out in one or two hits.

I'm inclined towards keeping Mega Scizor, so I'll take your advice and bulk up the moveset and EVs. Which move should be replaced with Swords Dance? To me, Pursuit is the replaceable move.

1st, off if your gonna use that EV Spread on Scizor L/O Is the better option as ive tested scizor Extensively as everything. Mega Scizor as yes it is good is a better Pivoter personally i run this Set

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 96 Spd / 160 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Defog
- U-turn/Roost

96 Speed EV Outspeed Rotom-W When it Mega so you can Dodge the Wisp.

For Greninja as spike are great but i dont think that set is optimal as to many Defog user running around. I Think this set is more optimal and has very little counter

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

HP Grass Will KO Rotom-W After SR'S 90% of the Time

As for my last statement of so may Defog user running Around you could Switch Scizor for Bisharp as it take advantage of it. This set did come off of B-T Video so i dont take credit for it

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 224 Spd / 252 Atk / 32 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Well thats my 2 Cent. On a Side Note Mega Char- Y Look like a Problem how do you deal with him

For Scizor, the problem is that my team is a team I'm using in-game, not in Showdown. Therefore I can't get a Scizor with Defog, I'd need a bug Pokemon with it taught from Gen IV.

As for Greninja, I prefer Scald as it's more reliable and the burning is very useful. Again, my Greninja is in-game and does not have HP Grass, but Grass Knot does the same amount of damage anyway. U-Turn could be very helpful though, I'll replace Spikes.

As for Bisharp, I like it. I used it in Gen V and it was great. I just can't replace my Mega with a non-Mega at this point.

Mega Charizard Y? Well to be honest I haven't come across one yet. I suppose Greninja and Heliolisk should take care of it?

unfortunately no, because of charizard y's drought setting up the sun, greninja's water moves are significantly weaker, and heliolisk's thunder only has 50% accuracy, making very unreliable. Setting up the rain could help, unless the charizard y carries focus blast.
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 174-205 (58.3 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 404-476 (141.2 - 166.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Oh, it has Drought... See, I'd just decided to screw OCD and add a useful Gen I - V Pokemon as a better wall (and unfortunately lose Wish)... I won't change my list just yet, I have Skarmory and Metagross as options currently but Sylveon's still good so it can stay for now. My Protean Greninja could learn a new Rock-type move, and the best one he can learn is Rock Slide, so I guess that will have to be it for now.

Hm. I have it changed to Dark Pulse for now. However, how do you suggest I deal with Mega Charizard Y? Basically, which of my Pokemon should learn a Rock-type move?

Well it was discussed earlier that Drought weakens Water-type moves significantly, so much so that even Hydro Pump can't 1HKO it. Then Solarbeam happens. I've tested Rock Slide a few times though. It's incredibly, incredibly useful. I'd rather take it. After being sweeped by a Flygon and a wave of nostalgia, I've decided Flygon is an alternative to Noivern. Can't decide though. Replaced Avalugg with Sylveon, now I win more than half the time. Well I mean people forfeit a lot but that's Showdown.

Last edited:

Andrew0003

Banned deucer.
That's very true that water moves are weak in the sun...but one pokemon that is not a mega that's not mentioned is vulpix or ninetales they are existent because I have one in pokemon x....also totally irrelevant but a good water type that is underestimated is azumarill and it's bulky all around...and I would stick with noivern over flygon any day and if you have a metagross and skarmory you should use one of the two...I preferably would go with metagross it's bulky and can hit amazingly hard...hope my advice helps

Azumarill isn't underrated in my eyes. Actually, I've seen it so much I thought it was overused. Noivern over Flygon? Alright then, I've locked Noivern now. I don't actually have Metagross or Skarmory. I was just making suggestions. I've been half-sweeped by Metagross before, but I've fallen in love with Avalugg's bulkiness now. No going back. The only unlocked Pokemon now is Mega Scizor, just because it's quite changeable.

What could happen is I could add more synergy to my team by making a pseudo-weather team of sorts. I could add the Hydration Goodra mentioned by Adagio a while ago with a Drizzle Politoed to support my Heliolisk. I'd assume Politoed would then become the lead and Heliolisk could replace Rain Dance with Thunderbolt for reliability? Hydration Accelgor might work too. I'd probably keep Avalugg (I just pronounced my love for it, no going back), Mega Scizor (just because none of the Megas really benefit from rain anyway) and Noivern (Hurricane).

Aaand I've tested it now. It's BRILLIANT. It wins, I'd say, 75% of the time? Team updated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)