ORAS NU Xatu & Charizard Balanced

INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone, this is my first RMT, and is about one of my favourite NU teams, this team had a few
versions, and it has been improving during months, i played this team in a spanish tournament and gave me good results
always, and im currently playing it in the ladder tournament which i have 32-3 record for the moment.
I decided do this RMT because i wont play this team anymore in tournaments matchs, because if i qualified, they
will scout me and, you know, im gonna build new teams, so i think people can enjoy it, because is rlly good and rlly funny to play.
TEAMBUILDING

The main core, i love xatu and i think is the best mon of the tier, this is a personal opinion, but im gonna explain the
advantages of have this mon into your team, the opponent always need to think before put rocks or throw an status move,
and this is rlly important he do mindgames only staying in the back. He has an excellent typing and good status + magic bounce
furthermore he learns roost, u turn, is fast and hits hards for NU in his offensive version.
Obviously i put xatu+charizard because xatu can avoid the rocks on the field and zard is currently a rlly good mon in the tier.

Why i put lanturn+vile+steelix together? because they are a rlly good defensive core, together they cover
a good part of the offensive threats of the tier, ill talk more about this after.

And the spinner and fighting type, hitmonchan, for me the best spinner of the tier, and i think in NU is rlly important
the fighting type, for this we can see in the top things like mesprit, garbodor, fighting resists like this.
IN DEPTH

Xatu (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam / grass knock
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Offensive xatu, in an older version this was cm xatu which is good, but i change it becouse i need more
offensive pressure in the team, because was too defensive, and when i did this change, rlly the team improve a lot.
Offensive xatu seens worst than the normal xatu becouse yn, this cant come in stealth rockers such as steelix, rhydon, but
we have an hitmonchan on the team, we need the opponent thinking if u gonna come in or not, and u always can do the plays
with magic bounce, this xatu have offensive pressure with his speed and dmg with life orb and coverage and have the
utility with his ability for this i think this is the perfect set in this team.
Signal beam is for malamar, and dark types,psychic types is a good coverage, but u can run grass knock if u want and run
worry seed in vileplume, i tried the two versions, and i think this xatu is better.
Pyshock is another option over psychic, but we have charizard that check hitmonchan and the new threat gurdurr.

Charizard (M)
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

The acrobatics charizard set, the special set is rlly good too, but i run this becouse i had 3 special attackers, and becouse
this charizard set have utility with wow and roost and his bulky and typing, doing good defensively and offensively, with sd he
can sweep.
In the defensive aspect we can talk about he can check mons like gurdurr, hitmonchan, combusken, hariyama, audino mega, shiftry, can creep important things like steelix, lanturn, vileplume, a lot of things.
The set is the standard set.

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 152 Def / 208 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

the good synergy with xatu & zard and his typing and capability of be a good water type and a good defensive pivot
makes me think in lanturn for this team.
He support the team with momentum and scald burns, heal bell which is rlly important for vileplume and charizard
because toxic on charizard can be rlly annoying.
Thunder Wave helps with rain teams which are rlly strong in NU and give a bit of speed control.
Lanturn is the special wall and check things like charizard, pyroar, special sweellow and vivillon with steelix helps.

Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder / worry seed

The king vileplume, he completes the water/fire/grass core and is with steelix the defensive wall of the team he checks things like barbaracle, lilligant, fighting types, lanturn and in general water types.
Is works in this team like a defensive pivot like lanturn, i mean u have xatu and charizard as an fightings resists but u always gonna prefer use vileplume such as punching bag.
With his ability and sleep power is annoying and moonlight give him recovery.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

The main stealth rockers in NU are rhydon, steelix, regirock and mesprit, there are more but i think this is the best.
I take steelix becouse i wanted another physically defensive mon for guts swellow that can easily beat lanturn, he helps too with schyther and another physical sweepers, but the most important, is check of tauros, u always need a check of tauros, fire blast is 3hitko so a well played steelix should be able to deal with this beast.

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

And the glue, the best spinner of the tier in my opinion.
He helps a lot vs offense, mons such as tauros(if he pressure your steelix u gonna be glad to have this), zangoose, jynx, swellow, shiftry, pyroar, and is and offensive answer for one of the thread of this team, specs aurorus.
THREATS

A well played aurorus specs can be a kill for turn, u have hitmonchan but keep being annoying, he can come into charizard.

REPLAYS
vs denniseg
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-184287
vs yogibears
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-415083089
vs teddeh
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-450511898

CONCLUSION

I rlly think this team is op, thats all, this could be becouse is my team, but i have another teams and i think this is the best.
The utility of the offensive mons of this team like xatu magic bounce, hitmonchan rapid spin, charizard wow roost and typing
is which do this team so good.

http://pastebin.com/yEH33dd8

IMPORTANT: Im spainsh and is difficult for me write in english so, if i have something wrong pls tell me, ill improve this post little by little.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm here to give your team a rate.

The team structure seems fine, though, as you mentioned, Aurorus pretty much destroys your team just by clicking Hyper Voice, since you have no reliable check to it, which is something to fix.
I'd suggest using:
-
over Hitmonchan.
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 Atk / 220 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Hariyama is a solid check to Aurorus thanks to its access to the Thick Fat ability which makes it able to tank a few Hyper Voice, and revenge kill it easily with Close Combat, or even Bullet Punch. It looks like a fine addition to your balance team and should work well against most of your current team threats.

-
over Vileplume.
Pelipper @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

If you replace Hitmonchan, you have no reliable way to get ride of entry hazards, therefore; I'd suggest using Pelipper. Pelipper is a consistent enough Fighting-type check that can help you against most of the Fighting threats of the tier.

This is a personal preference, and quite a small change, but I would rather use Toxic+Heal Bell on Lanturn rather than Thunder Wave. I think that using Toxic is good to cripple stuff like Gastrodon without having to risk a burn on Pelipper, but you can go either way I guess.

good luck with your team

Hi, I'm here to give your team a rate.

The team structure seems fine, though, as you mentioned, Aurorus pretty much destroys your team just by clicking Hyper Voice, since you have no reliable check to it, which is something to fix.
I'd suggest using:
-
over Hitmonchan.
Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Hariyama is a solid check to Aurorus thanks to its access to the Thick Fat ability which makes it able to tank a few Hyper Voice, and revenge kill it easily with Close Combat, or even Bullet Punch. It looks like a fine addition to your balance team and should work well against most of your current team threats.

-
over Vileplume.
Pelipper @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

If you replace Hitmonchan, you have no reliable way to get ride of entry hazards, therefore; I'd suggest using Pelipper. Pelipper is a consistent enough Fighting-type check that can help you against most of the Fighting threats of the tier.

This is a personal preference, and quite a small change, but I would rather use Toxic+Heal Bell on Lanturn rather than Thunder Wave. I think that using Toxic is good to cripple stuff like Gastrodon without having to risk a burn on Pelipper, but you can go either way I guess.

good luck with your team
Thank u for the answer bro, nonetheless I think that by putting Hariyama over Hitmonchan the team structure will change too much. I can deal with Aurorus just by playing well, I mean it's a big threat but not a 6-0. However, without Vileplume the team will lose to a lot of common things just in order to check better Aurorus... But well, that's my opinion :]

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, cool looking team you have got there.

• Charizard is the main win condition with this team, keeping rocks off the field is key, thats why I believe it'd be better to run Defensive Xatu. With a defensive spread Xatu can basically prevent rocks from Steelix without any problem which is massive considering how popular that pokemon is. It also helps a ton versus Garbodor which can't set up any hazards versus a bulky variant of Xatu, the set you're currently running takes a lot of damages from Gunk Shot which means you cant reliably switch into it.

• Specs Mesprit seems to threaten the team really easily, that's why I'd consider using Pursuit Skuntank over Lanturn. This change at least forces mesprit to think twice before clicking Psychic which allows Lanturn or even Charizard to switch in without much problems.

• The loss of Lanturn makes the team much weaker to fire types which is why I'd use Hariyama over Hitmonchan. Relatively straightforward: AV Thickfat checks most fire types easily, it also helps with the Aurorus weakness you mentioned. The dual priority helps to revenge kill weakened threats which is important considering how slow the team is. The loss of your rapid spinner may seem annoying but you also have got defog on Skuntank to make it even.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Roost

Hope I helped!

Reactions: Sun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)